Monday, November 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Monday, November 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:...

Drew a complete blank on FJ! Had absolutely nothing.
This is one of those times I'm glad we don't have a TPH drinking game.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:If we want to be technical about errors, this $600 clue is also factually inaccurate, at least depending on how you read it:
Crowned in 1896, Russian ruler Nicholas II was the last monarch to hold this imperial 4-letter title
Technically, Simeon II of Bulgaria was the last monarch to be called czar (or tsar, but both work for the clue), in fact, ol' Simmy, deposed in 1946, is still around and kicking today, and was his country's Prime Minister in the early part of this century! So he truly was the "last monarch to hold [the title of tsar]", but the category and the clue referencing a Russian ruler alludes to the last *Russian* czar, although it wasn't specified (so it could technically be wrong.)
And that's not even getting into whether "kaiser" is really just another variant spelling.
As you point out, that is a debate for another time, but since it's not a 4-letter title, as stated in the clue, only czar and tsar are correct.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $45,400
49 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: dodgeball, 7-Eleven, Chicago (DD), Sesame Street
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Convenience store" and the guesses are Walmart and CVS?
Huh, and here I was thinking I'd get a "WLT 7-11 on that clue? It could be any convenience store!" from you. You surprise me sometimes.
Given the obvious California bias of the writers, I'm surprised it wasn't AM/PM. Or they could've gone completely against that bias and had it be something like Speedway. Or Holiday Stationstores.
Or Wawa for our friends in the Mid-Atlantic.
This sounds like a list of shout-outs from the world's worst rap song. "Yeah, yeah. QT up in the house. RaceTrak, RaceTrak, where you at? Can I get a little love for my Circle K's out there?"
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never actually seen one, but 7/11 seems like the best known convenience store to me so I got that right by going with the obvious.

I wasn't surprised they all got it. It mentioned an amendment ending something so if they have even basic knowledge of the constitution they should get it right.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $45,400
49 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: dodgeball, 7-Eleven, Chicago (DD), Sesame Street
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Convenience store" and the guesses are Walmart and CVS?
Huh, and here I was thinking I'd get a "WLT 7-11 on that clue? It could be any convenience store!" from you. You surprise me sometimes.
Given the obvious California bias of the writers, I'm surprised it wasn't AM/PM. Or they could've gone completely against that bias and had it be something like Speedway. Or Holiday Stationstores.
Or Wawa for our friends in the Mid-Atlantic.
This sounds like a list of shout-outs from the world's worst rap song. "Yeah, yeah. QT up in the house. RaceTrak, RaceTrak, where you at? Can I get a little love for my Circle K's out there?"
The only one I know from the Mid West isn't appropriate for this board.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

[/quote]
This sounds like a list of shout-outs from the world's worst rap song. "Yeah, yeah. QT up in the house. RaceTrak, RaceTrak, where you at? Can I get a little love for my Circle K's out there?"[/quote]
The only one I know from the Mid West isn't appropriate for this board.[/quote]

Why wouldn't Casey's be appropriate here? :)

[And yes, as an Iowan, I realize you were actually referring to "K & G".]
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:I have never actually seen one, but 7/11 seems like the best known convenience store to me
Seriously? How is this possible?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I have never actually seen one, but 7/11 seems like the best known convenience store to me
We have QuikTrip and RaceTrac here in the south, but no 7-Elevens. I didn't see one for the first time myself until I went to TCONA for the first time, in 2014.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

I live in the South, kind of, and there seems to be a requirement that one is never more than a mile from a 7-11. That clue was an instaget!
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think I know where I went wrong here:
This practice officially began in Pakistan in 1977, 44 years after an amendment ended it in the United States
I saw "This practice officially began in Pakistan in 1977" and immediately figured "well, I'm God-awful at history, so it's obviously going to be something I've never heard of." This caused me to completely tune out "amendment".
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Of all the tournament FJ's thus far, this one seems surprising as a triple get. I can never predict which ones they are going to know and which they aren't. For example I thought for sure they would all know about Malala Yousafzai.
I thought the same thing; I figured one of them might get it, maybe two, but they didn't seem to hesitate. As for Malala, she's a contemporary, so I thought that would be an easy triple get - although I couldn't quite come up with the correct name/spelling myself (Malia? No, that's the president's daughter ... ).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Given the obvious California bias of the writers, I'm surprised it wasn't AM/PM.
I'm pretty sure there are more 7-Elevens in Los Angeles than there are AM/PMs.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

trainman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Given the obvious California bias of the writers, I'm surprised it wasn't AM/PM.
For a minute there I thought you were going to say "I'm pretty sure there are more 7-Elevens in Los Angeles than there are people."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good game.

I especially like Lucia since all four of her wagers were optimal. The crowd might have groaned upon the reveal, but her $800 FJ bet was excellent, even moreso than her true DD wager. I think she might have been a bit rattled, though; she started off with a $800 clue, hunting for DDs, but later went away from that. Regardless, luck favors the strong!

Got LT of dodgeball, style, and Blubber (glad that none of the three got the latter, actually). Instaget on FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
I'm gonna throw the challenge flag on that one. They're both common as dirt around here. Being confident that either one has more is a gamble.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

StevenH wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
We have QuikTrip and RaceTrac here in the south, but no 7-Elevens. I didn't see one for the first time myself until I went to TCONA for the first time, in 2014.
Vegas is absolutely crawling with 7-Elevens. I recall hearing when I lived there in the late '90s/early 2000s that there were over 180 of them in the Las Vegas Valley. Those of you who have trekked over to the Pinball Hall of Fame may have noticed that the intersection of Tropicana and Spencer has two 7-Eleven stores catty-corner from one another.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
StevenH wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vegas is absolutely crawling with 7-Elevens. I recall hearing when I lived there in the late '90s/early 2000s that there were over 180 of them in the Las Vegas Valley. Those of you who have trekked over to the Pinball Hall of Fame may have noticed that the intersection of Tropicana and Spencer has two 7-Eleven stores catty-corner from one another.
7-Elevens in Las Vegas are like no others. Or were. When I was 12 and visiting Las Vegas with my parents, they went into a 7-Eleven to pick up supplies. I was drifting behind them, when all of a sudden, an employee spots me. As she does, I see utter terror in her eyes.

She doesn't walk, but sprints to where I am. Through her panting, she frantically gets out "You CAN'T go to that section of the store!" "Why not?"

"Because that is where the ALCOHOL is!!" pronouncing the word some would "Satan".
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

dhkendall wrote:
Technically, Simeon II of Bulgaria was the last monarch to be called czar (or tsar, but both work for the clue), in fact, ol' Simmy, deposed in 1946, is still around and kicking today, and was his country's Prime Minister in the early part of this century! So he truly was the "last monarch to hold [the title of tsar]", but the category and the clue referencing a Russian ruler alludes to the last *Russian* czar, although it wasn't specified (so it could technically be wrong.)
The fact that you know about this seriously impresses me. Virtual cheers :mrgreen: