Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:15 am

IronNeck wrote:And wow, Teen tournament participants can't do Adult Jeopardy? That sucks. Would be very interesting to see the trio in the finals again on the adult show in 5-10 years.
Nobody who's been on the show hosted by Alex is eligible to appear again as long as he's host, barring special invitation, per the current wording of The Paperwork. So the Kids Week kids are out too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:14 am

Yes, but they have had reunion tournaments (of Kids Week contestants IIRC -- maybe others, too) that have turned out to fizzle.

Smart kids don't always transform into Jeopardy!-calibre adults.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I agree; that was a Boston Terrier. Never heard of "Boston Bull Terrier".

One question I had during the show was about that clue where they showed a boot and expected one of these kids to know the brand. Not so much the question, even though all boots look the same to me, but the audience reaction (audible laughter) when Alec guessed the wrong brand.

What was so funny?

Jeff-thecdboy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeff-thecdboy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:58 pm

bpmod wrote:Yes, but they have had reunion tournaments (of Kids Week contestants IIRC -- maybe others, too) that have turned out to fizzle.

Smart kids don't always transform into Jeopardy!-calibre adults.

Brian
The Teen Tournament reunion was in November 1998, and the Kids Week reunion was in September 2008.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Rackme32 wrote:I agree; that was a Boston Terrier. Never heard of "Boston Bull Terrier".

One question I had during the show was about that clue where they showed a boot and expected one of these kids to know the brand. Not so much the question, even though all boots look the same to me, but the audience reaction (audible laughter) when Alec guessed the wrong brand.

What was so funny?
Doc Martens have been synonymous with big black boots at least since the '60s, so I think when he said Timberlands there was a sense that maybe a generation gap was being revealed....When I think of Timberlands, I usually think of brown boots, anyway.
What a great tournament. Gets me verklempt to see such smart kids compete so well, when they so often are underestimated...

Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 pm

I attended the finals in person, and it was great to see these composed and convivial teens again. Well played, guys.

Still smug about getting B-mo on the triple stumper, though. (My son watches AT, so I've seen more than my share of the show.)