Friday, November 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, November 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by sillymonkey »

Volante wrote:If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's more people need to watch Eddie Izzard standup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdTPOHf0jI
Enthusiastic second!
andrew
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by andrew »

IronNeck wrote:[Appreciate the insight into your thinking for the two DDs. With this being your third game was fatigue beginning to become a factor?
Mm I don't think so. I was just a bit impatient and didn't take the time to process the clues on those DDs. Part of it was definitely the pressure of actually being there, playing Jeopardy and Alex waiting for me to respond. I made a similar mistake on a DD in the previous game saying "brotherhood" instead of "brotherly love" even though I went to school in Philadelphia :oops:

And as for the rest of the game Justin was a killer on that buzzer.
Rafferty Barnes wrote:[Hi Andrew, welcome to the Board and congratulations on your wins!
Thank you!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! This seemed way too wide open to tackle. NHO the correct response.
This time I'll allow your usual verbiage, as it did seem to be an obscure clue, I"m guessing under 25% get rate on this one.
If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly it's 3/8 so far on posts here for 37.5% so I'll bet the over.
Not too shabby. Right now it's polling at 39% with 37 of 96 checking the box. A vote or two more might trickle in and skew that one way or the other. But it would take 53 more voters leaving the box unchecked to get the percentage down below 25.

I'm a bit surprised, even though I'm one of the ones who got it right. It seemed like a lot to put together to end up at the correct response.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! This seemed way too wide open to tackle. NHO the correct response.
This time I'll allow your usual verbiage, as it did seem to be an obscure clue, I"m guessing under 25% get rate on this one.
If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly it's 3/8 so far on posts here for 37.5% so I'll bet the over.
Not too shabby. Right now it's polling at 39% with 37 of 96 checking the box. A vote or two more might trickle in and skew that one way or the other. But it would take 53 more voters leaving the box unchecked to get the percentage down below 25.

I'm a bit surprised, even though I'm one of the ones who got it right. It seemed like a lot to put together to end up at the correct response.
I'm not surprised. Aren't we supposed to know Oscar winners? People here often say they've memorized the list...
Forget theater knowledge, which I don't expect...Cabaret is one of the significant movies of the 20th C., and its director Bob Fosse one of the most celebrated. I know it's easier for me than many because I was alive when it came out, but the idea that Oscar winner + MC = Joel Grey is obscure is bizarre to me...
Of course, I miss most flag questions... ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I'm a bit surprised, even though I'm one of the ones who got it right. It seemed like a lot to put together to end up at the correct response.
I'm not surprised. Aren't we supposed to know Oscar winners? People here often say they've memorized the list...
Forget theater knowledge, which I don't expect...Cabaret is one of the significant movies of the 20th C., and its director Bob Fosse one of the most celebrated. I know it's easier for me than many because I was alive when it came out, but the idea that Oscar winner + MC = Joel Grey is obscure is bizarre to me...
So the part that surprises you is that 41% said they wouldn't have gotten this FJ even if the clue had specified "Cabaret". That leaves only 20% who could've gotten this one but just didn't put the pieces together.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: I'm not surprised. Aren't we supposed to know Oscar winners? People here often say they've memorized the list...
Best Supporting Actor/Actress usually isn't implied when someone says they've "memorized lists of Oscar winners"
I probably know more Cinematographers who've won than Supporting Actors...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:
davey wrote: I'm not surprised. Aren't we supposed to know Oscar winners? People here often say they've memorized the list...
Best Supporting Actor/Actress usually isn't implied when someone says they've "memorized lists of Oscar winners"
I don't know - it may not be meant but I do infer it. Nominees (not to mention cinematographers) everybody gets a pass on... ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
Volante wrote:
I don't know - it may not be meant but I do infer it. Nominees (not to mention cinematographers) everybody gets a pass on... ;)
One day, Roger Deakins. One day...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Clue Jungry wrote:On the phagocytes clue, I said macrophages. Judges?
TenPoundHammer wrote:Belt is slang for liquor?
I didn't get it either. Then, on an episode of "The Simpsons" I was watching immediately after Jeopardy, Mr. Burns used the term. Baader-Meinhof is in full effect.
Col. Potter used 'belt' a lot on M*A*S*H. In fact, in his first episode, he "could use a belt" after a long session in OR.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:02 pm
davey wrote:
Volante wrote:
One day, Roger Deakins. One day...
March the 4th, 2018