Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
gnuppet wrote: Just some bum luck on the daily doubles. I knew both of the ones he got. I immediately got the brown university ----> rhode island connection on the his first one and turncoat came to me instantly. I would think that only 10-20% of contestants would have ever got log cabin. Even that may be generous. oh well, that's just how the game goes.
Well, Log Cabin Republicans have been in the news repeatedly over the years and so people familiar with LGBT issues would likely have heard of them. But yeah, probably a bit harder than the average DD.
I could have sworn the term "log cabin republican" was used either by Alex or by S. E. in her contestant interview when she was on the show for Power Player's Week (and apparently taped that clue). Wouldn't y'all have got it from that?
Yes, but that would require actually watching Power Player's week; I'd rather watch the kids do another tournament. (But I did catch part of Power Player's week and I'm pretty sure that you're correct that S.E. or someone mentioned it).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Yes, but that would require actually watching Power Player's week; I'd rather watch the kids do another tournament. (But I did catch part of Power Player's week and I'm pretty sure that you're correct that S.E. or someone mentioned it).
Not all sources of trivia are fun to take in!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The script from the interviews from her game are in the game thread and she does mention the Log Cabin Republicans and her support for same sex marriage.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I spoke on The Jeopardy Fan about this one, and I'm sure that Keith Williams is really gonna be ranting about this due to Jennifer's confusing wagering strategy. She opts for $1,800 and not something like close than $5,000 to beat Justin in a solo get. After all, if Justin got FJ wrong, that would have left him at $10,399-$10,400 territory. It did seem like Jennifer had an open opportunity to try and see if she can hope for a sole get, and she missed it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off.

On gnuppet's end, would a wager of $1,200-$1,201 make a difference to any consolation? Because that would have at least kept you alive and a chance to beat Justin by a small amount, should he have got it wrong.

I just think in general, Justin's kind of playing with fire, and especially coming back again after a haphazard 2nd game wagering. THAT was way too close for comfort on his end. I wonder what kind of tricks he could have if he does get potential access to the ToC...
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:On gnuppet's end, would a wager of $1,200-$1,201 make a difference to any consolation?
It really depends on how much after the fact because you never really know whether outthinking things. You know what I'm saying?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:Poll request for Log Cabin seen and I was already planning to do it because of the discussion and estimate towards get rate.
When you do the poll, can you add an option for "I follow politics extensively and still didn't get the clue"? Thanks ahead of time.
MTCollegeStudent wrote:On gnuppet's end, would a wager of $1,200-$1,201 make a difference to any consolation?
No. Leader makes standard shut-out wager of $4801 and thus ends with $10,399 if he gets it wrong. Since gnuppet started with $10,000 he needs to get his FJ correct.
marethyu

Post by marethyu »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Paul Revere was a silversmith?
Yeah, he actually created a rather famous silver etching of the Boston Massacre, which inaccurately showed the British soldiers being ordered to fire into a peaceful crowd. Why was it inaccurate? Well, first of all Revere wasn't there, arriving in Boston days later and drawing the scene from his imagination. Essentially, he was a propagandist and along with Samuel Adams they made the Boston Massacre into a massacre, rather than the accidental shooting into a rioting mob, armed with snowballs, chunks of ice and rocks. In fact, Sam's brother John defended the soldiers in court, even though he was a Patriot himself, when they were charged with murder and got most of them off completely, and the others on less serious charges.
http://www.davidstuff.com/historical/bo ... revere.jpg
marethyu

Post by marethyu »

Two days in a row of bad wagering from third place. This time it didn't really cost Jennifer, because she got second place (her best option with a correct answer by Justin and a reasonable wager), but she gave herself zero chance of winning for no reason. I'm at a loss for what made her think that having $7,400 or $3,600 would be to her advantage. If she was playing for 2nd place only, it was dumb, because she had a good shot at that either way, and she gave up a chance to beat Justin unless he was a complete idiot and wagered way more than he needed to.

These last two episodes are driving me crazy!