Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7413, 2016-11-30

CONTESTANTS
Vicki Kelly, a biologist from Newark, Delaware
Michael Malyszko, a commercial photographer from Boston, Massachusetts
Justin Bender, a technical engineer from Boulder, Colorado (whose 3-day cash winnings total $40,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Justin, our champion, is averaging about $13,000 and change per game, but if you discount the one bad day, he's averaging a lot better than that, around $18,000. So let's see if that's good news for you, Justin, or if Michael and Vicky are going to make you work extra hard today. We'll find out in this half hour.

Here the categories now for the Jeopardy! round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CURRENT POP CULTURE (5/5)
16 TONS (4/5)
& WHAT DO YOU "GET" (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANOTHER DAY OLDER (4/5)
DEEPER IN DEBT (4/4)
THE COMPANY STORE (5/5) (Alex: And because of that, I owe my soul to...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 17 R, 1 W
Vicki: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vicki found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Justin had $2,600, Michael was scoreless, and Vicki was at $2,400. Vicki wagered $1,000.

& WHAT DO YOU "GET" $1000: A plain in northwest Tanzania
(Alex: Vicki? Not coming?)
(Vicki: No.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Justin: $3,800
Vicki: $1,400
Michael: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduce on our program today, Vicki Kelly, a biologist from Newark, Delaware, has a lofty ambition, and it has nothing to do with her career. It has to do with travel. Tell me.

Vicki: It does. I am a mother of two small children, so traveling--I love road trips, and I would love to see all of the contiguous United States, but the thought of traveling with two small children on a road trip is kind of daunting. So there's actually an algorithm out there that someone came up with to figure out the most ideal route to hit all 48 states.

Alex: All of them?

Vicki: Yes. And I believe it was about like 120 hours. You have to have three drivers, minimal stops, but you can hit all 48.

Alex: Wow. Where do you start?

Vicki: It can start anywhere.

Alex: Oh.

Vicki: It's just a matter of following the route, so.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Michael Malyszko from Boston, Massachusetts. Now you did something similar. You traveled the United States, but on a motorcycle?

Michael: On a motorcycle, that's right. I--

Alex: Did you hit all 48 states in 120 hours?

Michael: No, it took nine months. And it was during the bicentennial year. And a lot of my friends in college were going to Europe for the summer, and I wanted to see our country first. So I saved my money, and I went with a friend who lasted for half of the trip with me. And we went around the country and went everywhere.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Now we come to Justin Bender, our champion. He, as you all know, is an expert in languages. And on that subject, you want to learn a different language.

Justin: That's right. Now that I've won a few games, I'd like to use some of that to go to Iceland and hopefully learn Icelandic.

Alex: With a view to doing what? Because that's not a widely spoken language in our world.

Justin: No, it's certainly not a useful language to know. But I've always loved the language. Um, I'm very interested in just going to Iceland in general, and it'd be a great reason to get out here.

Alex: Great country to visit.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANOTHER DAY OLDER $800: On June 5, 1694 he could have celebrated (but probably didn't) his 18,650th day as France's king

16 TONS $1000: The largest fish in the world, it's known to tip the scales at 16 tons
(Justin: What is a great white shark?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Justin: $7,400
Vicki: $3,000
Michael: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALSO FOUND ON A CAR (4/5)
STATE FLAGS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEAR WITH US (3/5)
SHORT STORIES (2/4)
SPORTS EQUIPMENT (5/5)
THE ERIE CANAL (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Michael: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Vicki: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Justin snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Justin had $8,600, Michael had $2,600, and Vicki was at $3,000. Justin wagered $2,400.

STATE FLAGS $1200: This state's flag is the only one of the 50 to bear the word "republic"
(Alex: Yes, and it also has a bear on it.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Justin had $17,000, Michael had $7,400, and Vicki was at $5,400. Michael wagered $3,000.

THE ERIE CANAL $1200: With the success of the canal, in a few short years, NYC had replaced this city as the nation's no. 1 port
(Alex: And we have a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEAR WITH US $1600: We're an American bear! Ursus Americanus, we're comin' to your town, we're 600 pounds, we're an American bear!

BEAR WITH US $2000: The sun bear of this Thai peninsula is the smallest bear species, only 3 feet long

SHORT STORIES $1200: "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" introduced his characters the Glass family

ALSO FOUND ON A CAR $1600: An athlete who inspires his teammates; Draymond Green is said to be the Warriors'

SHORT STORIES $1600: Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Celestial Railroad" is an allegory based on this John Bunyan work

STATE FLAGS $1600: This sailing accessory can be found on the flags of both Rhode Island & Wisconsin

THE ERIE CANAL $1600: In part, the canal snakes its way through the valley of this river named for a Native Amer. tribe that once lived there
(Justin: What is the Cuyahoga River?)

THE ERIE CANAL $2000: New York governor from 1817 to 1823, this man with a familiar political last name led the effort to fund & build the canal

THE ERIE CANAL $400: When the canal opened in 1825, it was only 4 feet deep & ran 363 miles from Albany to this city on Lake Erie
(Justin: What is Rochester?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Justin: $17,800
Michael: $10,800
Vicki: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENTERTAINMENT AWARD WINNERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Justin: Wager $3,801 to cover Michael, but no more than $6,199 so as not to fall behind Vicki's doubled score.
Michael: You have the hope of surpassing Justin if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,001 to force Justin to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Vicki.
Vicki: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She won a Comedy Grammy in the 1980s, a Supporting Actress Oscar in the 1990s & a Daytime Emmy in the 2000s

FINAL SCORES
Vicki: $5,800 + $2,200 = $8,000 (Who is Whoopi Goldberg?) (2nd place)
Michael: $10,800 - $3,201 = $7,599 (Who is Bette Midler) (3rd place)
Justin: $17,800 + $3,801 = $21,601 (Who is Whoopi Goldberg?) (40801-day champion: $21,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Justin: $16,600, 28 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Michael: $9,000, 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Vicki: $6,800, 9 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Justin: 29/59 = .492
Vicki: 10/59 = .169
Michael: 9/59 = .153
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
& WHAT DO YOU "GET" $400: "Dirty Daddy" is a book by this family man turned filthy comedian

& WHAT DO YOU "GET" $800: Do you recollect this plant, seen here?

THE COMPANY STORE $1000: "Hit fashion" offerings at this "scorching" clothier include cosplay, steampunk & goth
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

16 TONS $400: The 16-ton statue seen here was created to honor the university of this state

16 TONS $200: Some of these in Seattle weigh 16-tons, less than half the heft of the one named Desire in New Orleans
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SPORTS EQUIPMENT $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Daytona International Speedway.) To protect them from fire and heat in case of an accident, all NASCAR drivers wear suits made of Nomex, a heat-resistant, flame-retardant fabric that's reinforced with this fiber that's five times stronger than steel and often used in bulletproof vests

SPORTS EQUIPMENT $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue.) An NHL goalie wears a catch glove on one hand and this on the other; it's also a term describing the job of an NFL offensive lineman

CORRECT RESPONSES
Serengeti
Louis XIV
the whale shark
California
Philadelphia
black bear
the Malay peninsula
J.D. Salinger
the spark plug
Pilgrim's Progress
an anchor
the Mohawk River
DeWitt Clinton
Buffalo
Whoopi Goldberg
Bob Saget
a forget-me-not
Hot Topic
Florida
a streetcar
Kevlar
a blocker
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENTERTAINMENT AWARD WINNERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She won a comedy Grammy in the 1980s, a Supporting Actress Oscar in the 1990s & a Daytime Emmy in the 2000s

Justin Bender: 17800+3801=21601 (4x = $62,401)
Michael Malyszko: 10800-3201=7599
Vicki Kelly: 5800+2200=8000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Whoopi Goldberg (Michael – Bette Midler)

Daily Doubles
Vicki: 2400-1000
Justin: 8600+2400
Michael: 7400+3000

Coryats
Justin: 16600
Michael: 9000
Vicki: 6800

Combined: 32,400
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I guess the EGOT List is a must-know anymore.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Name a New York city on Lake Erie - was no one around when Dan was telling his story yesterday??
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"...this John Bunyan work", a TS. I'm curious if they've ever asked for any others.

That was a very disappointing FJ clue. Maybe it's because I still have the EGOT list in my head from the clue last month, but even w/o that, Daytime Emmy + Best Supporting Actress Oscar made it a layup.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I had it down to Whoopi, Rosie O'Donnell, or Joan Rivers, and realized that the latter two likely didn't win a Supporting Actress Oscar.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Dominating performance by Justin. Is he headed for the TOC? Will he ever understand just how lucky he got on Monday? He tried to shoot himself in the foot and missed. Both his competitors had a clear line of sight at his head and chose to shoot their own feet off instead. He made the correct shutout bet today. And yesterday as well. So I'm inclined to believe Monday was a math error. Also, Icelandic is an awesome language so I have to love him.

Michael underwagered on his DD which meant he was forced to get FJ right. He didn't. Fortunately for him, Justin did, so it was a moo point.

Anybody else start singing about the Erie canal going from Albany to Buffalo?

Today's FJ is one of the most frustrating kind. The answer's obvious if you think of it. If not, you yell "of course!" and smack your head at the reveal. Sigh. Rejected Ellen Degeneres because I was sure she never got an Oscar. Thought about Marisa Tomei. Ended up on Helen Hunt. I was hopeful right up until Vicki's response was revealed. I didn't even have to wait for Alex to speak. Whoopi was so obviously right.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Didn't really know Final Jeopardy!, but got it right still. Figured The View was probably a good place to start looking for someone who might fit, and I got lucky that The View was exactly where I needed to go for the answer.

Was anyone else confused by the $1600 bear clue? I wasn't able to figure out what was being asked there.

Were they really not anticipating someone answering McNugget on the McChicken clue? Seemed like an odd "getting confirmation" pause there.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Vowela wrote:Didn't really know Final Jeopardy!, but got it right still. Figured The View was probably a good place to start looking for someone who might fit, and I got lucky that The View was exactly where I needed to go for the answer.

Was anyone else confused by the $1600 bear clue? I wasn't able to figure out what was being asked there.

Were they really not anticipating someone answering McNugget on the McChicken clue? Seemed like an odd "getting confirmation" pause there.
I attacked FJ quite similarly, with "who on daytime TV would also have potentially nominated for an Oscar?" That got me to Goldberg quickly, despite not remembering the role for which she won her Academy Award. Thought maybe Ellen DeGeneres after writing Whoopi down, but nowhere near confident enough to seriously consider changing.

Besides being the twelfth anniversary of Ken Jennings' loss in regular play, today's episode is notable for another milestone, albeit one I certainly wouldn't expect to see formally acknowledged... it's the 6,000th regular-play game of the syndicated, Alex Trebek-hosted edition.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Whoopi pretty quickly and never really considered anyone else. I did not know she won an Oscar for Ghost, but I have seen the movie. I don't think Ellen has ever done anything Oscar-worthy.

Driving through 48 states in 120 hours sounds like quite an adventure. I hope she can find a couple friends and someone to watch the kids so she can do it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Vowela wrote: Was anyone else confused by the $1600 bear clue? I wasn't able to figure out what was being asked there.
Yeah, integrating Grand Funk song lyrics into the clue, combined with Alex butchering the reading wasn't helping me get the reference to 'black bear' out of that either.

The challengers both needlessly held back on their FG wagers. Par for the course this week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What was the deal with the "another day older" category? Was there some theme or just random days from the lives of famous people?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote:So I'm inclined to believe Monday was a math error. Also, Icelandic is an awesome language so I have to love him.
Justin said on Twitter already that it was, in fact, a math error.
Bamaman wrote:What was the deal with the "another day older" category? Was there some theme or just random days from the lives of famous people?
My guess is that they had the rest of the 16 TONS theme and shoehorned that in.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

At least I'm consistent as I did not solve the FUNNYMEN FJ! clue from last month either.

Tonight I did not make the jump from Grammy+Oscar+Emmy = EGOT
Because "comedy" was first I tried thinking of funny women and had Carol Burnett and Joan Rivers. In looking for some kind of award winner I threw Mary Tyler Moore in the mix.
For Oscars I knew I had not memorized the list of Best Supporting Actresses from the 1990s and left that line alone.
Daytime Emmy had me searching for soap opera actresses and I knew Susan Lucci had not won an Oscar.
Instead of concentrating on one of the award areas I was trying to rapidly shuffle through famous women with no method to the madness.
I went back to Daytime Emmy looking for a hint and did think of talk shows with time winding down. Kelly Ripa and Ellen DeGeneres were quickly eliminated.
With time running out I wrote Tomei since I could do it quickly, she had an Oscar in the 1990s and had done soap opera work.

Missing the clue was frustrating since it's an area I like and I watch The View. In today's program the other ladies on the panel tried to get Whoopi to do her famous line from Ghost, but Ms. Goldberg was not going along with that request today.

Whoopi clearly fits the pieces of the puzzle and it was a no-doubter as soon as I saw Vicki's response. It's easy to see how the clue may have been a snap for the solvers while giving trouble to those stumped. Getting it done in 30 seconds was not in my skill set today.

Four wins for Justin, but not enough in the bank to pass Fred Vaughn on the TOC list.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I didn't process the word "Oscar" in FJ and tried to think of a 1990s Prime Time Emmy winner. Ellen DeGeneres was the best I could come up with (although "Supporting Actress" didn't seem right for the '90s Emmy she had to have to her name). If I had seen "Oscar," Whoopi would have been an easy get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bamaman wrote:What was the deal with the "another day older" category? Was there some theme or just random days from the lives of famous people?
My guess is that they had the rest of the 16 TONS theme and shoehorned that in.[/quote]

I got the overall theme but the category itself was kind of lame. Probably because they were Kids Week level clues.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Impressive showing by the Champ. Vicki started strong, but faded away. 48 states in 120 hours or so is not my kind of fun. Micheal seemed too quiet on the buzzer.

Probably needed few more seconds to convince myself that 'republic' DD is not Texas.

Would they have BMI on Clinton? I couldn't remember DeWitt and I was thinking George ..that's a completely different Clinton!

The recent miss of Mel Brooks is still fresh, so today's FJ was easy for me.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:I didn't process the word "Oscar" in FJ and tried to think of a 1990s Prime Time Emmy winner. Ellen DeGeneres was the best I could come up with (although "Supporting Actress" didn't seem right for the '90s Emmy she had to have to her name). If I had seen "Oscar," Whoopi would have been an easy get.
I did the exact think, but realized my mistake about halfway through the music and quickly realized it had to be Whoopi.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
43 R/5 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Serengeti (DD), Louis XIV, spark plug, Pilgrim's Progress, anchor, DeWitt Clinton

Fun chestnut: Philip Michael Thomas, most famous as the other guy on TV's Miami Vice, is generally credited with having coined the term "EGOT."

Can we all agree that Justin looks like a combination of John Oliver, my cousin Sean and my brother's friend Ryan?

I found enough references online to give me confidence that my response of chassis would be accepted as an alternate on the trunk clue.
opusthepenguin wrote:Michael underwagered on his DD which meant he was forced to get FJ right. He didn't. Fortunately for him, Justin did, so it was a moo point.
How you doin'?
Sprinkles are for winners.