Cindy Stowell

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Cindy Stowell

Post by harrumph »

Condolences to her family.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Wow. I don't think I've ever had to set aside a box of Kleenex to watch Jeopardy.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

What a courageous woman.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Geeks Who Drink put up a tribute to her: http://www.geekswhodrink.com/blogpost?v ... id=2041634
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I was very touched by this story. I auditioned in OKC too but she wasn't in my group.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This was posted on the LL message board earlier this week; she and her boyfriend were both LLamas. This prompted Thorsten to create an "In Memoriam" page on the site. He made a change today by reactivating the accounts of deceased members.
I wonder if AT will record a message to be played before or after her episode(s) about her passing.
Hoping for a third lap
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

That's incredibly sad. Has that ever happened before?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Johnblue wrote:That's incredibly sad. Has that ever happened before?
According to the show, she will be the first to appear after they died. But they also let Jeff Kirby come back, so their record keeping isn't the best.

Yes, it is a sad but sweet story. I saw a report about it on the news. It was nice, but I should add a slight spoil warning as it shows a montage of some of her responses as well as spoiling Monday's game by showing a shot of all three players, including the champ.

Very nice of the show to fast track her appearance.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

RIP Cindy and the best to her loved ones- it's wonderful that you were able to be a contestant during your fight, and your charity is admirable. Kudos to Jeopardy for allowing her to compete as soon as possible once she qualified.

Cancer sucks.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Bamaman wrote:
According to the show, she will be the first to appear after they died. But they also let Jeff Kirby come back, so their record keeping isn't the best.

Yes, it is a sad but sweet story. I saw a report about it on the news. It was nice, but I should add a slight spoil warning as it shows a montage of some of her responses as well as spoiling Monday's game by showing a shot of all three players, including the champ.

Well...there was a Bob Mesko, but that was after his Tournament and his appearances. He appeared in 2006 on his games and the ToC, and later passed away in 2012. It's fortunate that we don't often see these kinds of things happen to contestants BEFORE their appearance on a TV show. That's pretty rare for the most part. I usually would think of this happening AFTER they appeared on the show. I remember Chopped faced that same adversary. Debra Whiting got killed in a car accident in June 30, 2011, and that was prior before the taping of her appearance on August 16 of that same year. It seems that I am to question contestants that appear on shows questioning their lives. Take for example, three of Gordon Ramsay's TV shows, Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares and Masterchef, 2 of the Hell's Kitchen contestants passed away on the same season. One was in 2007, and one in 2012(?). Kitchen Nightmares had Joe Cerniglia committing suicide by a bridge. And Masterchef season 3. Josh Marks had serious issues with a mental illness. And yet, committed suicide in the act. Same reason as Cindy's...fighting for something affecting them.

Seeing or hearing something like this makes me question about my life choices. I feel the sympathy and seeing a contestant do whatever she can to make it a lifelong dream to be on Jeopardy! is bold for all of us. All of us Jeopardy! fans will remember this for a while...and hope that wounds will heal by the end of this year.
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

lisa0012 wrote:I was very touched by this story. I auditioned in OKC too but she wasn't in my group.
I had heard about this story over the past week, and it was only as I was telling my wife about it a few minutes ago that I realized she was in my group. Her being sick came up, but it wasn't like she was painting herself as The Cancer Patient or anything like that. I'm very glad that she is the first of our group to get on.
Sprinkles are for winners.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

Well...there was a Bob Mesko, but that was after his Tournament and his appearances. He appeared in 2006 on his games and the ToC, and later passed away in 2012. It's fortunate that we don't often see these kinds of things happen to contestants BEFORE their appearance on a TV show. That's pretty rare for the most part. I usually would think of this happening AFTER they appeared on the show. I remember Chopped faced that same adversary. Debra Whiting got killed in a car accident in June 30, 2011, and that was prior before the taping of her appearance on August 16 of that same year. It seems that I am to question contestants that appear on shows questioning their lives. Take for example, three of Gordon Ramsay's TV shows, Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares and Masterchef, 2 of the Hell's Kitchen contestants passed away on the same season. One was in 2007, and one in 2012(?). Kitchen Nightmares had Joe Cerniglia committing suicide by a bridge. And Masterchef season 3. Josh Marks had serious issues with a mental illness. And yet, committed suicide in the act. Same reason as Cindy's...fighting for something affecting them.

Seeing or hearing something like this makes me question about my life choices. I feel the sympathy and seeing a contestant do whatever she can to make it a lifelong dream to be on Jeopardy! is bold for all of us. All of us Jeopardy! fans will remember this for a while...and hope that wounds will heal by the end of this year.
Back in 2007, there was a show called "Pirate Master," and one of the contestants was found dead of an apparent suicide not long after the show left the air. Many years ago, there was a guest on "Jenny Jones" that apparently died before the show aired. After it was over, Jones came back on and made the announcement, stating that none of the staff knew the person was ill.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

With all due respect, someone dying of an incurable, dread disease is very different than someone deciding to take his/her own life.

Very sad, but it's nice that Jeopardy was able to grant a kindness both to Cindy as well as her friends and family.
dpj626
Contributor

Post by dpj626 »

sarisson wrote:This was posted on the LL message board earlier this week; she and her boyfriend were both LLamas. This prompted Thorsten to create an "In Memoriam" page on the site. He made a change today by reactivating the accounts of deceased members.
I wonder if AT will record a message to be played before or after her episode(s) about her passing.
If it's after, I hope our wonderful DC affiliate will not cut it off to air extra commercials as they usually do. I made them aware of what was going on. RIP.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

IronNeck wrote:With all due respect, someone dying of an incurable, dread disease is very different than someone deciding to take his/her own life.
You are entitled to your opinion, but there are millions of people with mental illness who not only have to fight their sickness, but the perception that they "aren't really ill", "don't have a disease" or "just lack moral character".
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
BobF

Post by BobF »

silverscreentest wrote:
IronNeck wrote:With all due respect, someone dying of an incurable, dread disease is very different than someone deciding to take his/her own life.
You are entitled to your opinion, but there are millions of people with mental illness who not only have to fight their sickness, but the perception that they "aren't really ill", "don't have a disease" or "just lack moral character".
Plus, the use of the word "apparent" before suicide does leave some room for doubt. I've lost two friends to suicide and a good friend of mine just lost his autistic nephew to suicide. Nearly all deaths of people who haven't reached old age are tragic, with the few notable exceptions being the 9/11 hijackers, the Columbine High School shooters among others.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

silverscreentest wrote:
That's an awful lot of assumptions there about my use of "very different". It's not an "opinion", either; dying of incurable cancer is very different than deciding to take one's own life. And yes, I have personal experience with friends and family who have succumbed to the latter as well as the former.

Personally, I don't know why there was a sudden slew of "oh hey, I know or have read about people who committed suicide" posts, either. Has nothing to do with the subject of the topic, and is rather disrespectful towards Cindy Stowell.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Any way that you look at this event, it is very sad.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I wasn't sure when the first Trebek-era TOC aired, but according to J-Archive, it aired a few months before Jerry Frankel's death, so it looks like it may be just Cindy who died before the airing of the episode.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the message at the top of the banner could be changed to: "A message board for fans of the Jeopardy! television show. Jerry Frankel and Cindy Stowell are our honorary JBoardies of the Month!"?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I wasn't sure when the first Trebek-era TOC aired, but according to J-Archive, it aired a few months before Jerry Frankel's death, so it looks like it may be just Cindy who died before the airing of the episode.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the message at the top of the banner could be changed to: "A message board for fans of the Jeopardy! television show. Jerry Frankel and Cindy Stowell are our honorary JBoardies of the Month!"?
Since it's your month, you get the say. A lovely idea under any circumstances.