Is Sports Jeopardy done?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Is Sports Jeopardy done?

Post by Anachronism »

Wouldn't Cooper's politics rule him out, since there are (though they would rarely admit it on a public forum) red staters in the audience? He didn't exactly cast himself as neutral in the last election cycle. I watch television to forget about all the divisiveness.

I love Jeopardy! I love sports. I was not enthusiastic about how Sports Jeopardy was put together. Too much like it was trying to be hip. Trivia is not hip. Fewer clues. Far too much yapping between clues. Having the contestants come out of the audience along with pretentious trying-too-hard-to-be-cool extended introductions took me right out of the game. I was half expecting Howie Mandel to show up with suitcases and dancing cheerleaders.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I loved Sports Jeopardy, even if I wished it had the 61 clues that the regular show did. I don't see what the problem is with people walking onto the stage as it happened for 13 seasons on the big show, and no one had a problem with it. I like watching any game show with trivia where the trivia actually has some level of challenge, but is still fairly gettable. We need more of them, as I have to rely on people uploading British shows onto Youtube in order to satisfy the recommended daily requirement of quiz show watching.

I think that Mayim Bialik, Danica McKellar, or anyone else that has both a TV personality and a Ph.D. in a branch of math or science would make a good replacement for Alex. The one problem with Alex is that the writers write insultingly easy math and science questions so that they have terms that Alex is familiar with, and as we need to stop caring about the arts and focus as much of our mental power on STEM disciplines as possible in order to get the economy back on track, this person could be the figure to help popularize the societal change that is needed.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:03 am I think that Mayim Bialik, Danica McKellar, or anyone else that has both a TV personality and a Ph.D. in a branch of math or science would make a good replacement for Alex. The one problem with Alex is that the writers write insultingly easy math and science questions so that they have terms that Alex is familiar with, and as we need to stop caring about the arts and focus as much of our mental power on STEM disciplines as possible in order to get the economy back on track, this person could be the figure to help popularize the societal change that is needed.
Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter of US public education, as someone who did Science Bowl in high school (my team won regionals and finished tied for 9th in the nation)

1) It's very, very difficult to write Science Bowl-like questions in a Jeopardy format, especially with how short questions and timers are for the game. Science Bowl had sets of 20 toss-ups with possible bonuses. We would typically go through all of them, but it would take 15-20 minutes, and that's without an interview segment.

If you want more math and science-heavy categories, are you okay with some games where only 50 clues are revealed?

2) For any questions with calculation, any decent player would buzz in and then stall like crazy. While I enjoy seeing stalling on Jeopardy, most people likely don't. Especially since it limits the number of clues.

3) Why do you assume Mayim Bialik or Danica McKellar would have even the slightest interest in hosting a game show?

4) Most importantly, the average person watching Jeopardy could not care any less about math and science questions.

And even the STEM-inclined audience doesn't watch Jeopardy for that. So you alienate a majority of your fanbase while pleasing absolutely no one.
Picard
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Picard »

I got bored of it pretty quickly. It's good as a special but not a regular imo.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:03 am The one problem with Alex is that the writers write insultingly easy math and science questions so that they have terms that Alex is familiar with, and as we need to stop caring about the arts and focus as much of our mental power on STEM disciplines as possible in order to get the economy back on track, this person could be the figure to help popularize the societal change that is needed.
Sorry to get off the subject for a moment, but the latter half of this caught my eye when reading your post, and I wanted a chance to respond to it. With all due respect, I'm not sure where you're getting that lack of focus on STEM disciplines from. It seems like it's the arts that are getting short shrift lately, not STEM. As for the insinuation that the arts do little to get our economy back on track, and therefore aren't as immediately essential as STEM subjects ... well, I'd have to roundly disagree with that assessment. There are myriad benefits of having arts in our schools and in society, and those benefits even stretch into the tangible and monetary, I'd dare say. I also believe that the choice between arts and science isn't an either-or. There's room for both at the table, and getting back to the topic at hand, that's why I'm glad J! makes room for both of them, even if their efforts to do so are sometimes imperfect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:03 am I don't see what the problem is with people walking onto the stage as it happened for 13 seasons on the big show, and no one had a problem with it. I
My problem with them walking out was the stupid poses they had to make when they were introduced, along with the TPIR way they got to the stage.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The sportsjeopardy.com site had a little update, now that it is May, to remove the "April" portion: Please note: Sports Jeopardy! is currently on hiatus, and tape dates for 2017 are not yet available.
We encourage you to check here periodically for more information.

On NBCSN last night was four episodes (2-5) of Season 3. The batch of S3 games will be depleted in two weeks at that pace.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 4:11 pm The sportsjeopardy.com site had a little update, now that it is May, to remove the "April" portion: Please note: Sports Jeopardy! is currently on hiatus, and tape dates for 2017 are not yet available.
We encourage you to check here periodically for more information.

On NBCSN last night was four episodes (2-5) of Season 3. The batch of S3 games will be depleted in two weeks at that pace.
The registration for the spring 2017 general test also allows you to register for an upcoming Sports Jeopardy test (date TBD in 2017). Looks like they haven't quite given up on it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah I guess they haven't given up all hope, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

as one who is swimming in the SJ pool with 7 months or so remaining, I hope they start taping more episodes soon. I believe the last taping was in July 16, and no one from Boston area was a contestant. My audition in Boston was in June 16.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

There's not even any episodes on the TV listings for the next couple of weeks... not sure if that means anything, but there you go. If this is indeed the end, then I'm just super thankful that I got on while I had the chance. I still maintain that I'll never get to do anything cooler in my entire life... an absolute dream come true.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:16 pm My problem with them walking out was the stupid poses they had to make when they were introduced, along with the TPIR way they got to the stage.
I originally thought the same thing, but damn if I haven't had fun with this GIF. :lol:
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

It's now July, and I have not heard much about the fate of this show... :(
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

heelsrule1988 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:23 pm There's not even any episodes on the TV listings for the next couple of weeks... not sure if that means anything, but there you go. If this is indeed the end, then I'm just super thankful that I got on while I had the chance. I still maintain that I'll never get to do anything cooler in my entire life... an absolute dream come true.
Have you ever tried out for the main show?