Thursday, December 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7424, 2016-12-15

CONTESTANTS
Sara Quashnie, a library science graduate student from Livonia, Michigan
Chelsea Cohen, a production editor from Astoria, New York
Cindy Stowell, a science content developer from Austin, Texas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $31,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. This is my lucky day. I get to spend this half-hour in the company of three very bright young ladies. So I will pause for a moment, wish you welcome, and direct your attention to our big board as we reveal the categories for this first round of play today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ODD WORDS (3/5)
THE OSCAR WINNER'S MOVIE (5/5)
WHAT'S THE BIG RUSH? (4/5)
TEXAS (4/5) (Alex: You'll deal with the state of...)
MOVING JOURNALISM (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TAILS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sara: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Cindy!: 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Chelsea: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sara: $2,600
Chelsea: $1,800
Cindy!: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sara Quashnie is from Livonia, Michigan. This young lady works on old automobiles. What are we talking about?

Sara: So, last year, I was working at a museum back home, and every day, two of us presenters would take apart a 1917 Model T, and then, over the course of the day, our guests get to help put it back together.

Alex: Have you ridden in one?

Sara: Yes, we actually got to learn how to drive one one day, too.

Alex: Oh, good. How exciting. That's wonderful. I love it.

Alex: Chelsea Cohen, from Astoria, New York. When you were a young lady, you did something exciting also. You traveled abroad with a band.

Chelsea: I did.

Alex: Tell me about that.

Chelsea: I traveled to Europe with the Make-A-Wish Charity Band. We spent about two weeks traveling around Europe.
We played at various schools, hospitals. And in Vienna, we got to help grant a wish to a 6-year-old girl.

Alex: Now, is this associated with the Make-A-Wish Foundation?

Chelsea: Yeah. It was a part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. It was an offshoot of it.

Alex: Wonderful stuff. You guys bring some interesting history to our program--

Alex: --as does our champion, Cindy Stowell, from Austin, Texas. Now, you write homework questions for what?

Cindy: I write homework questions in science, chemistry, and physics for a company that makes online homework for university students. And it's this horrible cosmic, karmic joke, because my mission in high school and college was to avoid homework as much as possible. And now I'm stuck doing it for [laughing] several years.

Alex: I didn't like homework, either, so you and I are like this.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy! found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Cindy! had $3,000, Chelsea had $2,000, and Sara was at $3,000. Cindy! wagered $1,500.

MOVING JOURNALISM $800: British Airways' in-flight magazine has this name, like a Miller beer brand
(Alex: And you are now in a tie with Sara, so no matter what you do, you're gonna break the tie for the lead.)
(Cindy: $1,500.)
(Alex: Okay. Here is your clue.)
(Cindy: What is Miller Lite? *chuckling*)
(audience laughter)
(Alex: That's not bad, but it's [*]. [*] is the magazine. Alright, you're at $1,500, go again. Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TEXAS $600: This U.S. President received his college degree from Southwest Texas State Teachers College
(Alex: And his name is [*].)

ODD WORDS $800: Nephrolithotomy is the medical term for the surgical removal of one of these
(Cindy: What is a kidney?)
(Alex: Yes! No, sorry. Chelsea or Sara? What is a [*]? You were in the right area. My mistake. Sara, back to you.)

MOVING JOURNALISM $200: Different regions get different magazines from this club, AAA for short; Via & Westways are 2 of its publications
(Sara: What is the American Automotive Association?)
(Alex: No. Chelsea or Cindy? What is the [*]? But, we come back to you, Sara.)

ODD WORDS $1000: An ancient Greece a hoplite was one of these
(Alex: [*]. Infantry-man.)

WHAT'S THE BIG RUSH? $800: Mining cos. are rushing to MOMA-- not an art museum but a Mozambique mine for this silvery metal used in planes
(Cindy: What is aluminum)
(Alex: No. Chelsea or Sara? What is [*]? Cindy, back to you.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sara: $5,600
Cindy!: $2,900
Chelsea: $1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OCEANS (5/5)
EUROPEAN RULERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
2016 MUSIC FESTIVALS (2/2)
5 "L"ETTER WORDS (5/5) (Alex: And each of those words will begin with the letter L.)
TO LIVE & DIE IN L.A. (3/5)
TALES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chelsea: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sara: 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Cindy!: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Cindy! had $3,300, Chelsea had $1,400, and Sara was at $7,600. Sara wagered $2,000.

TALES $800: The title of this 9th century Arabic tale tells us it spanned about 2 3/4 years
(Alex: And you have a healthy lead.)
(Sara: Um, I'll wager $2,000.)
(Alex: $2,000 it is. Here's the clue for you in TALES.)
(Sara: What is The Arabian Nights?)
(Alex: No. What is [*]? Alright, you lost just a bit. You're still in the lead comfortably, go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Chelsea who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Cindy! had $1,700, Chelsea had $2,600, and Sara was at $5,200. Chelsea wagered $1,000.

EUROPEAN RULERS $1600: The May 12, 1937 coronation of this British king was on the date originally set for his brother
(Alex: And you can see the score, you have exactly half of Sara's total, and you know what that means.)
(Chelsea: I'll bet $1,000.)
(Alex: $1,000 only, alright. Here's the clue for you.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TALES $1600: Josef K. is busted without cause right from the start in this Kafka story, & things only get worse
(Cindy: What is The Prisoner?)
Sara: What is The Castle?)

TALES $2000: Men are just beasts--or is that beasts are just men?-- in this 1896 H.G. Wells tale about the world's worst vet

TO LIVE & DIE IN L.A. $1200: Western movie stars Tom Mix & William S. Hart were at the funeral of this lawman who died in L.A. age 80 in 1929
(Alex: And that famous lawman was [*]. Less than a minute to go, Chelsea.)

TO LIVE & DIE IN L.A. $2000: L.A. Times reporter Ruben Salazar was killed during a 1970 protest by this community, a term for Mexican Americans
(Sara: Who are Latinos?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Sara: Uh, Latino-Americans?)
(Alex: No. That's not the community we're going for. The correct response is [*]. Back to you, Chelsea, one category left.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sara: $11,600
Chelsea: $9,600
Cindy!: $5,300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NYC TV
(Alex: Uh oh!)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sara: Wager $7,601 to cover Chelsea.
Chelsea: You have to wager $1,001 to cover Cindy!'s doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,299, so as to force Cindy! to be right to have a chance at winning.
Cindy!: Think about risking $1,300 or less, thereby beating Sara on the Triple Stumper (should Sara wager to cover Chelsea's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2010, in its fourth season, this TV show shifted its primary setting to 6th Avenue, 2 blocks west

FINAL SCORES
Cindy!: $5,300 + $3,300 = $8,600 (What is Mad Men?) (31001-day champion: $8,600)
Chelsea: $9,600 - $2,500 = $7,100 (What is How I Met Your Mother?) (2nd place)
Sara: $11,600 - $7,601 = $3,999 (What is 30 Rock?) (3rd place)
(Alex: What is one of the things 6th Avenue is famous for?)
(Alex: Madison Avenue, known for advertising.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sara: $13,600, 19 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Chelsea: $10,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Cindy!: $6,800, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sara: 19/59 = .322
Cindy!: 15/59 = .254
Chelsea: 13/59 = .220
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TEXAS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue reports from George Ranch Historical Park.) The ranching heritage of old Texas is on view at George Ranch Historical Park, just 30 miles from the bustle of this biggest city in the state

WHAT'S THE BIG RUSH? $200: He's been a provocative figure on U.S. airwaves for decades

WHAT'S THE BIG RUSH? $1000: Geoffrey Rush played tormented pianist David Helfgott in this 1996 film
(Alex: That takes you into second place.)

TAILS $600: Seen here is the tail this rodent uses to help prop itself up on its hind legs and to steer as it swims
(Chelsea: What is a platypus?)

TAILS $200: Shake your tail feather and name this bird, though to be honest it's bright feathers grow from its back, not its tail

THE OCEANS $1200: The longitude meridian at 147 degrees east, near Tasmania, separates these two oceans, actually part of one global ocean

TO LIVE & DIE IN L.A. $400: This "Big Poppa" rapper was killed on March 9, 1997 as he left a music industry part in Los Angeles
(Sara: Who is Tupac?)
(Cindy: Who is Biggie Smalls?)
(Alex: Biggie Smalls, yes, [*].)

2016 MUSIC FESTIVALS $2000: Sounding like an Australian show but in Manchester, Tenn., this festival had Pearl Jam, LCD Soundsystem, and Tame Impala
(The end-of-round signal sounds.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
High Life
Lyndon Baines Johnson
kidney stone
American Automobile Association
foot soldier
titanium
One Thousand and One Nights
George VI
The Trial
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Wyatt Earp
Chicano
Mad Men
Houston
Rush Limbaugh
Shine
beaver
peacock
the Indian and Pacific Oceans
The Notorious B.I.G.
Bonnaroo

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NYC TV

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2010, in its fourth season, this TV show shifted its primary setting to 6th Avenue, 2 blocks west

Cindy Stowell: 5300+3300=8600 (3x = $39,600)
Chelsea Cohen: 9600-2500=7100
Sara Quashnie: 11600-7601=3999

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Mad Men (Chelsea – How I Met Your Mother) (Sara – 30 Rock)

Daily Doubles
Cindy: 3000-1500
Sara: 7600-2000
Chelsea: 2600+1000

Coryats
Cindy: 6800
Chelsea: 10200
Sara: 13600

Combined: 30,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Looks like Cindy picked up some tips from Tim before he left the studio. :) Way to go.

A win tomorrow would put her officially on the ToC tracker. How wild would that be?

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Even though I detest FJ clues based on millennial television, congrats to Cindy for being the only one who knew Mad Men. I guessed 30 Rock because it's the only post-2000 TV show I knew that takes place in NYC.

I was surprised she didn't know LBJ (whose presidential library is in her hometown) graduated from Southwest Texas State.

guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Not to be that guy, but I really wouldn't classify "High Life" as a beer brand. I think you either have to go all-in and call the beer brand "Miller High Life" if you're going to use "brand" as a synonym for variety/style/offering, but that would obviously not be the name of an in-flight magazine... otherwise, as it was written, I was trying to think of a general brand within Miller's portfolio.

Then again, it's probably sour grapes and I probably wouldn't have guessed "Olde English" had I ever been on a British Airways flight!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm

I almost thought Cindy might lose this game, but the sole get on FJ! sealed it. Kudos.

Lady on the right looked like she walked straight out of 1956. I can dig it.

Houston is bigger than Dallas?

"Wait, it has nephr- in it, but isn't kidney? What else could it be then?" Easy trap.

Lach Trash: American Automobile Association. Long answers like that shouldn't be in the first box, because it's way too easy to fire off a bunch of "close but no cigar" responses.

NHO the bottom 3 movies in that Oscar category.

Ran Tails ($200 is my last name, no way am I missing it), got all but $1,000 in Odd Words.

WLT icebergs in the top box? I took "Birthed" too literally and thought it'd be an animal.

"Arabian Nights" should've been given a pause instead of insta-neg, since that's often the English title. I conflated it as "1001 Arabian Nights" myself, which I assume would be neg.

Oddly, "latch" at $400 was my only miss in 5 "L"etter. Just drew a blank.

NHO Notorious B.I.G.

Latino does not BMS to Chicano.

No guess on FJ! I know there is a show called Mad Men, but have no idea what it's about.

As a bonus, look for me in the audience on tonight and tomorrow's Wheel.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Two blocks east of 6th? Madison Ave. --> Mad Men, done. Probably would've gotten it by thinking of 2007-ish TV shows + the move to SCDP, but no need.

The heartwarming story is quickly turning into a legend. I wonder if that shrug was because it was a random guess, or because of Alex's hint not meaning anything to her.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:51 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Houston is bigger than Dallas?
2.3 M for Houston to 1.3M for Dallas. If you're talking city-proper, then San Antonio (1.5 M) is larger as well.

Zero chance on FJ tonight. The extent of my knowledge of Mad Men is a few of the actors and that it's about advertising. I don't remember NYC streets well enough to know what's where. Guessed 30 Rock.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:16 pm

econgator wrote:Zero chance on FJ tonight. The extent of my knowledge of Mad Men is a few of the actors and that it's about advertising. I don't remember NYC streets well enough to know what's where. Guessed 30 Rock.
Same here, other than your much more extensive knowledge of Mad Men than mine.

WTG Cindy! Keep pluggin' away.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Living in NYC helped on this FJ, of course. I watched the first two seasons of the show as well, so maybe I would have gotten it anyway but Madison Ave. -> Mad Men was pretty quick for me.

What Cindy is doing is unbelievable. :o

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Two blocks East of 6th avenue. 4th avenue? I know nothing about 4th avenue. 30 Rock? Where's the fashion district? Maybe America's Top Model or something? Stick with 30 Rock.

If only I remembered the exceptions to the numbered streets and avenues I might have gotten it.

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:14 pm

For the average contestant I scoff at such, but remember that she is doing all this in one calendar day, including sitting in the audience for an episode as well. She has to be incredibly tired and I wonder if she has or has not been able to take any necessary pain meds. Regardless of outcome, this is a really great story in a world filled with so many bad ones. Hopefully at some point we'll be told the complete story from behind the scenes.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:15 pm

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Houston is bigger than Dallas?
2.3 M for Houston to 1.3M for Dallas. If you're talking city-proper, then San Antonio (1.5 M) is larger as well.
San Antonio has no metro area- you basically go from the city to the country and some small towns (with a few exceptions, one of them being the town my parents live in).

If you go metro area, DFW has Houston&Co beat, but it's close.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm so glad that Cindy is winning. Won. Tenses are very very weird here. What an incredible gift to her family and friends to see her like this.

{1000 posts in 5 + years! I provide neither quantity nor quality.}

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 pm

+1 for taking the neg on neph to kidney.

30 Rock was my response in trying to guess a show that may have been in its fourth season in 2010. What's 2 blocks east of of 6th Ave? I would have enough trouble figuring it out a relevant street combination for downtown San Francisco. NYC? Not going to happen.

I watched every episode of Mad Men, but that show was not going to instantly pop in my head just because of the relocation aspect of the clue. Cindy got it right to go along with the other instagets here and logical guesses, so I can't argue that the clue needed more information either as much as I might have liked "cable" or "drama" in the wording.

Too bad I had not used Hammer's similar reaction to mine about Sara looking like someone from the 50s to set the time machine to solve the FJ! clue in thinking Mad Men secretary up to creative director long before the FJ! clue appeared.

Yesterday I had a poor performance in the literature aspects of the game while running TALES (and TAILS for the exacta) tonight. Tomorrow my goal is that there is a TV category and I go 5/5 in it.

I had and have no knowledge about the length of Cindy's stay on J!, but I did not have 3 games and above on the radar. Her performance this week has been a marvel to witness.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:31 pm

I've lived in NYC for 20+ years and got stuck on Broadway for 2 blocks east of 6th avenue (to be fair, broadway does cross 5th avenue at 23rd street but I really should have thought of Madison).

Alex said "what is one of the things sixth avenue is famous for" before revealing Cindy's response, but then corrected himself to say Madison Avenue... that probably explains cindy's shrug.

I also blurted out 1,001 Arabian nights. I think Sarah's response of "Arabian nights" begged a BMS, especially since the work was written in Arabic and translated into English. They most definitely needed to hear 1,001, but Arabian nights obviously refers to the same work. Judges? Is one thousand and one nights the only acceptable response? How about the thousand and one nights , or even a thousand and one nights.

Struggled with odd words and also negged with kidney

LT: LBJ, Wyatt Earp

Should have gotten The Trial but blurted out Amerika. Never gonna remember Island of Dr. Moreau until I read it.

Happy to see Cindy keep it going

Good play all around, nice lead by Sarah until the bizarre Latinos response
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:45 pm

boson wrote:{1000 posts in 5 + years! I provide neither quantity nor quality.}
Congrats on reaching that milestone. I, for one, tend to disagree with your assessment wrt quality. I wouldn't know about quantity, though!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Vowela
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vowela » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:50 pm

I might've gotten it with Madison Avenue, but "a street two blocks east of 6th Avenue" meant nothing to me. The timeline was right for 30 Rock, and guessed that.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:05 pm

My first thought was Sex in the City. Then I realized the address was a big hint. I have no idea where 30 Rockefeller Plaza or Madison Avenue are, but 30 Rock was all that came to mind. I have never seen a single episode of 30 Rock or Mad Men so it was just a guess to me.

Amazing job by Cindy. I thought she was done today as both her opponents played good games. But she stayed in it to have a chance in FJ. A nice wager by her as she is $1 ahead of Chelsea's MSBIW score and also saves a bit in case of crazy all-in wager by the others.

An article about her said she taped August 31, which was a Wednesday. So if she wins tomorrow, that means she'd have to wait until the next tape day to play again, which would be at least two weeks into the future. Usually, that just means having to beg off work again that soon, but travelling again for her would really be a problem.

Yesterday someone mentioned the clues about
SpoilerShow
Death Valley and the Dead Sea along with FJ mentioning someone's death
. Today we had a whole category about people dying and Alex even said she was "still alive" going into FJ. I know he says that a lot and he didn't mean anything by it, but it is a little more icky than telling Eddie Timanus we would see him tomorrow.

But seeing her play is just amazing. People who win three games are a very small minority of Jeopardy! players. Just to do that is praise-worthy. But to accomplish it under these circumstances is beyond belief.