Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Kenny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by Kenny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Bamaman wrote:Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.
In Houston, they're all seeking plaintiffs poisoned by asbestos (if "poisoned" is the right word). They come right out and say, "Are you 50 or older?" so the demo they're aiming at is obvious: old J! fans like me.

User avatar
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by Winchell Factor » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:56 pm

lbligh wrote:Does anyone know why the Seniors Tournament was discontinued? I read somewhere that that tournament was Alex's idea, because he had noticed that older contestants tended to be slower on the buzzer. Now that I am 56, I am beginning to worry that if I ever do get The Call, I will be at a neurological disadvantage against those young whippersnappers.
I worried about this before I got the call. I was old enough to have qualified for a Seniors Tournament when I played, but it turned out quite all right. I was not even the oldest guy in my season's Tournament of Champions.

On one hand, it is true that I couldn't really compete with Alex Jacob in buzzer speed, but on the other hand, neither could several players who were literally half my age.

The more serious issue, I think, is recall. I joked at the time that I was worried the judges wouldn't accept, "Who is...oh, hell, you know--that actor...he was in the movie with all the mobsters...?" But the older I get....

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8303
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by Bamaman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Kenny wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.
In Houston, they're all seeking plaintiffs poisoned by asbestos (if "poisoned" is the right word). They come right out and say, "Are you 50 or older?" so the demo they're aiming at is obvious: old J! fans like me.
There is a guy here who calls himself the Alabama Hammer. No, he is not a professional wrestler. He is an attorney.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by Magna » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Winchell Factor wrote:The more serious issue, I think, is recall. I joked at the time that I was worried the judges wouldn't accept, "Who is...oh, hell, you know--that actor...he was in the movie with all the mobsters...?" But the older I get....
Maybe they should be advertising this product.
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 2500?snl=1

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by IronNeck » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:10 pm

It's notable that most of the great Jeopardy champions had their initial runs when they were 20-40.

While one is constantly learning trivia, it's very possible, especially nowadays, to hit a $35,000+ Coryat level average in one's 20s. After that, one comes across diminishing returns, and I imagine it's more a matter of buzzer speed. Recent champion Seth Wilson is a great example; a 12-day champion with immaculate buzzer speed but a knowledge base that, while certainly impressive, was less than that of most other superchampions.

And buzzer timing gets worse with age, which we know since countless studies have tracked reaction time as a function of one's age.

Point being that, yes, older players are absolutely at a disadvantage.

I imagine the real reason they scrapped the Senior Tournament is because of poor ratings.

Just because a lot of older people watch Jeopardy! doesn't necessarily mean they will watch more or less because other older people are on there.

User avatar
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Royersford, PA
Contact:

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by mfc248 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.
In Houston, they're all seeking plaintiffs poisoned by asbestos (if "poisoned" is the right word). They come right out and say, "Are you 50 or older?" so the demo they're aiming at is obvious: old J! fans like me.
There is a guy here who calls himself the Alabama Hammer. No, he is not a professional wrestler. He is an attorney.
"The Hammer" seems to be a popular name for personal injury attorneys. Witness Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro from upstate New York:
phpBB [video]


Or from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley:
phpBB [video]

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6935
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:49 pm

The senior champ representative in the 1994, 1995 and 1996 TOCs each was eliminated in the quarter-finals, so that may have played a part in the decision as well.

User avatar
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by Winchell Factor » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 pm

And I can't say I remember the Seniors Tournaments themselves as very good Jeopardy!, either.

On the other hand, they do keep resurrecting Power Players, so maybe that's not a criterion.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by IronNeck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:07 am

Winchell Factor wrote:And I can't say I remember the Seniors Tournaments themselves as very good Jeopardy!, either.

On the other hand, they do keep resurrecting Power Players, so maybe that's not a criterion.
From my understanding, Power Players get fantastic ratings.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by dhkendall » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:23 am

IronNeck wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:And I can't say I remember the Seniors Tournaments themselves as very good Jeopardy!, either.

On the other hand, they do keep resurrecting Power Players, so maybe that's not a criterion.
From my understanding, Power Players get fantastic ratings.
Boardies are not typical viewers. (Typical contestants, definitely, but not typical viewers)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dpj626
Contributor
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:57 am

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by dpj626 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:45 am

Winchell Factor wrote:And I can't say I remember the Seniors Tournaments themselves as very good Jeopardy!, either.

On the other hand, they do keep resurrecting Power Players, so maybe that's not a criterion.
I have decided the next time J! tapes in DC (2020 most likely) at my wife's employer, I am going to grab teen tournament shows if possible. Much more entertaining. I have seen six Power Player shows, it is like watching an Old-Timers Day game. The teens impress me more and more each year.

User avatar
lbligh
Valued Contributor
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:27 pm
Location: Northern Virginia
Contact:

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Post by lbligh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:02 am

I do wish that ALL the Power Players would make themselves familiar with the game's format before coming on set.
Auditioned in Washington DC, April 2016. Hoping for "The Call"!
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music, Latin and Greek
Actively studying: U.S. Presidents, Geography, Canada
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 15fhjwq0, Baidu [Spider], Bamaman, capedDep, jjwaymee, TenPoundHammer and 33 guests