Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7426, 2016-12-19

Cindy Stowell game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Kristin Szuhany, a graduate student in clinical psychology from New York, New York
Jonathan Bill, a high school teacher from Gig Harbor, Washington
Cindy Stowell, a science content developer from Austin, Texas (whose 4-day cash winnings total $62,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. Delighted to be able to spend another half-hour in your company as we test your knowledge as well as the knowledge of our three players. Kristin and Jonathan, welcome aboard. Cindy, good to see you again. Good luck to all three. Here we go in the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
UNDER THE CHRISTMAS TREE (5/5)
LETTER-WORD (5/5)
NAMES IN AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DECK THE "HALL" (4/5)
DOUBLE-NAME NEWSPAPERS (3/5)
TONY BENNETT (4/5) (Tony Bennett: Hi, I'm Tony Bennett. My wife Susan knows all the answers when we watch, but I can't get her to be a contestant, so I'm going to go on Jeopardy! by giving you a few clues about my fabulous first ninety years.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Kristin: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Cindy!: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Cindy! had $800, Jonathan was scoreless, and Kristin was at $4,000. Jonathan wagered $600.

NAMES IN AMERICAN HISTORY $400: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney said no when French agents asked for a bribe in this 1797 "Affair"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristin: $5,400
Jonathan: $1,600
Cindy!: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kristin Szuhany is from New York. As you might expect, she's a big Yankees fan. She's also a big fan of hot sauce. And in fact, you are going to include a hot sauce dish at your wedding?

Kristin: Not just a dish, a whole bar of all the different types of hot sauces. So Costco better be ready, 'cause we're coming.

[Laughter]

Alex: What's your favorite of all the hot sauces?

Kristin: Probably chipotle tabasco.

Alex: Tabasco.

Kristin: Mm-hmm.

Alex: On a scale of 1 to 10, how hot is it?

Kristin: That one's like, maybe a 4.

Alex: Oh.

Kristin: We can go higher.

Alex: I know. I know. Been there, done that.

Kristin: Yeah.

Alex: Jonathan Bill, high school teacher from Gig Harbor, Washington. You once had an interesting experience at a bank.

Jonathan: I did. Fellow standing right in front of me in the teller's line handed the teller a note saying he had a gun in his bag and he would use it if he didn't fill up the bag. So the teller is stuffing $10,000 or some such thing in the bag and I didn't notice, because I was having a jolly conversation with the security guard at the time.

[Laughter]

Jonathan: You gotta hand it to the guy. He went through with it while we were standing right behind him.

Alex: And he got away and he wasn't caught?

Jonathan: He left and we realized after a few seconds what had happened, because the teller had turned white as a sheet. And by the time we got out that door, he was a couple of blocks away.

Alex: Okay. Well, you're safe though, and that's important.

Alex: Cindy Stowell is our champion. She is from Austin, Texas, and she collects nail polish.

Cindy: Yeah, it started in grad school. One of the ways that I would check to make sure the gloves were protecting my hands from the solvents was I would put nail polish on my fingernails and hope that it wouldn't come off. And I developed quite a collection over the years. I have probably hundreds of bottles.

Alex: That's nice. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DECK THE "HALL" $1000: 2009 novel by Hilary Mantel about the court of Henry VIII

DOUBLE-NAME NEWSPAPERS $400: The Omaha World-...

DOUBLE-NAME NEWSPAPERS $1000: The Louisville Courier- or the Akron Beacon...

TONY BENNETT $1000: (Tony Bennett gives the clue.) In 2015 the 20th edition of this Las Vegas gala doubled as my birthday party; with the same name as a Celine Dion love song, it has raised over $100 million in its history. Wow!
(Kristin: What is "My Heart Will Go On"?)
(Alex: A lot of love to Tony Bennett and our thanks for doing that category for us. Tony's 90th birthday NBC special airs tomorrow night. We'll all be watching.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kristin: $5,400
Jonathan: $5,400
Cindy!: -$800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LANDLOCKED AFRICAN COUNTRIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE NEWS (4/5)
A NOVEL CATEGORY (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP CULTURE (4/5)
THEY SAID IT (3/4)
FROM TO N TO N (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy!: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jonathan: 4 R, 1 W
Kristin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy! snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Cindy! had $3,200, Jonathan had $6,600, and Kristin was at $5,400. Cindy! made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

LANDLOCKED AFRICAN COUNTRIES $800: If you turned in 175 quadrillion of this country's old currency in 2015, you would get 5 U.S. dollars

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kristin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Cindy! had $9,600, Jonathan had $7,400, and Kristin was at $9,400. Kristin wagered $2,000.

A NOVEL CATEGORY $1200: Khaled Hosseini dedicated "The Kite Runner" in part "to the children of" this country
(Kristin: What is Iran?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE NEWS $2000: The observatory Ligo has detected 2 of these cosmic objects with souped-up gravity coalescing into one

POP CULTURE $2000: Jerry Seinfeld drove around the White House in a 1963 Stingray with Pres. Obama on an episode of this web series

A NOVEL CATEGORY $1600: Sweden's Fredrik Backman became an overnight sensation with his novel about an old curmudgeon, "A Man Called" this

A NOVEL CATEGORY $800: 2016's "End of Watch" completed his trilogy that began with "Mr. Mercedes"
(Alex: Less than a minute now, Cindy.)

THEY SAID IT $2000: This poet said that when "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage" came out, "I awoke one morning and found myself famous"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cindy!: $11,600
Jonathan: $9,000
Kristin: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS WITH MULTIPLE MEANINGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Cindy!: Wager $6,401 to cover Jonathan.
Jonathan: You need to wager $3,401 to cover Kristin's doubled score, but no more than $3,800 if you want to top Cindy! on a Triple Stumper.
Kristin: Think about risking $1,000, thereby beating Cindy! on the Triple Stumper (should Cindy! wager to cover Jonathan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Found in a 1970 Tom Wolfe book title, it's a chemistry term, a math quantity & a drastic word in politics

FINAL SCORES
Kristin: $6,200 - $999 = $5,201 (What is extreme) (3rd place)
Jonathan: $9,000 - $3,500 = $5,500 (What is absolu) (2nd place)
Cindy!: $11,600 + $6,401 = $18,001 (What is a radical?) (62002-day champion: $18,001)
([After revealing Cindy's response] Alex: [*] chic.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Cindy!: $9,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jonathan: $8,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kristin: $8,200, 15 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $26,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 16/59 = .271
Cindy!: 15/59 = .254
Kristin: 15/59 = .254
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LETTER-WORD $600: It's the opening in a violin seen here
(Kristin: What is an s-curve?)

LETTER-WORD $800: It's a type of ruler used in mechanical drawing to create right angles
(Jonathan: What is a square?)

NAMES IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1000: This great orator gave a 3 1/2-hour speech in favor of the Compromise of 1850; his fellow New Englanders didn't like that
(Cindy: Who is Clay?)

DECK THE "HALL" $600: In 1992 Bill Clinton played sax on this man's late night show
(Jonathan: Who is David Letterman?)

DOUBLE-NAME NEWSPAPERS $800: The San Diego Union- or the Minneapolis Star...
(Cindy: What is Times?)

TONY BENNETT $200: (Tony Bennett gives the clue.) In September 2014 I became the oldest artist, at age 88, to have the No. 1 album on the Billboard charts when "Cheek to Cheek", my duet album with this pop star, debuted at the top spot

TONY BENNETT $400: (Tony Bennett gives the clue.) In November 1990 I appeared in "Dancin' Homer", an episode of this long-running animate series & became the first performer to guest-star as himself on the show

TONY BENNETT $600: (Tony Bennett gives the clue.) On October 1, 1962 I joined Joan Crawford & Mel Brooks as the guests on this man's very first night as the host of the "Tonight" show

TONY BENNETT $800: (Tony Bennett gives the clue.) In 1951 I recorded a cover version of "Cold, Cold Heart"; when it became a huge hit, this legendary country artist called me & joking asked, "What's the idea of ruining my song?"

SCIENCE NEWS $400: Soak this in: a minivan-sized one of these multicellular aquatic creatures was found off the coast of Hawaii
(Jonathan: What is a jellyfish?)

SCIENCE NEWS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an image on the monitor.) Using a multi-step process that isolates dolphins' sounds on specific objects, researchers have created a 3-D image that simulates how dolphins see a human using this process

THEY SAID IT $1200: "Do. Or do not. There is no try" were words of wisdom form this fictional trainer
(Kristin: Who is Mr. Miyagi?)

FROM TO N TO N $800: William the Conqueror, by birth
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the XYZ Affair
Wolf Hall
Herald
the Journal
The Power of Love
Zimbabwe
Afghanistan
black holes
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Ove
Stephen King
Lord Byron
radical
an f-hole
a T-square
Daniel Webster
Arsenio Hall
Tribune
Lady Gaga
The Simpsons
Johnny Carson
Hank Williams, Sr.
a sponge
echolocation
Yoda
Norman
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS WITH MULTIPLE MEANINGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Found in a 1970 Tom Wolfe book title, it’s a chemistry term, a math quantity & a drastic word in politics

Cindy Stowell: 11600+6401=18001 (5x = $80,002)
Jonathan Bill: 9000-3500=5500
Kristin Szuhany: 6200=999=5201

Correct response:
Spoiler
radical (Jonathan – absol) (Kristin – extreme)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 0+600
Cindy: 3200+3200
Kristin: 9400-2000

Coryats
Cindy: 9200
Jonathan: 8800
Kristin: 8200

Combined: 26,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game was equal parts happy & sad with Cindy earning the always prestigious 5th win at the same time cementing the fact that a qualified (and more importantly, deserving) TOC competitor would not be able to participate.

I really thought for sure Cindy was going to lose as her opponents both saved enough money on their wagers to set up the win from a tough clue.

Instead there it was. Cindy had the correct response and won from first place on a sole solve. Simply outstanding on her part.

The DJ! round ending after 25 clues had me blaming the J! round clue selection. The show wanted the TONY BENNETT category to play in its entirety, yet the players went to it last. The timer must have robbed Peter to pay Paul to insure 30 in the first round and making up for it later as the DJ! round did not seem 5-clues worth slow.

To future players: If you hit a J! round Daily Double with 0 on the scoreboard. The wager is $1000. Never $600. [opens trapdoor] Besides, it was NAMES IN AMERICAN HISTORY & 2nd box! Come on, now.

I liked Cindy's play on her DD. All of it. 3200 without hesitation. That's what you do with a 2nd box DD and especially in a limited category such as LANDLOCKED AFRICAN COUNTRIES.

To the writers: Please, never eliminate the Stephen King clues and do not let the stand-and-stare occurrences discourage their inclusion. Even if they are stumpers on the set, there are plenty of viewers who will gladly pick up the trash.

The FJ! clue was for sure going to stump me as I did not have the right stuff to solve it. Going for humor I wrote, "Kool-Aid" in trying to make one word since "Acid Test" was not going to work.

The three previous uses in the Archive of Wolfe's "radical chic" have not been enough to stick on my radar yet.

#7077, aired 2015-05-26 CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS $1200: He's been responsible for such phrases as "the Me Decade" & "radical chic" Tom Wolfe
#5632, aired 2009-02-17 RATED "R" $2,000 (Daily Double): Tom Wolfe placed this word before "chic" to describe patronage of extremists by famous people
#4667, aired 2004-12-14 TOM WOLFE $10,000 (Daily Double): Wolfe coined the term "radical" this in a story on a party for the Black Panthers thrown by Leonard Bernstein
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Cindy on the milestone win! I am so happy for her, yet very upset that she won't be in the ToC.

I blanked on FJ. I thought for sure that I could get it from the Tom Wolfe angle, but nope. I should have at least attempted to attack it from one of the other directions.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Anyone else wonder if the judges would have accepted "Amazon Tap" for the Echo clue?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tony Bennett's intro to his category was loooooooooooong. I knew that DJ! would end up super-short as a result.

I noticed we played the whole board left to right, top to bottom. Surely that's happened before.

WLT microscope, Annapolis, Hallmark, or Lady Gaga at $200?

Word categories have been screwing me over lately. I got only Arsenio in the "Hall" category.

Four ways to get to this word, and I hit on none of them. I've NHO "radical" in a chemistry or mathematical context, so that meant nothing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is Omaha's paper really a 2nd-row clue (especially when Atlanta is in row 3)?

I know of exactly 1 Tom Wolfe book, so that was no help. I just FF'd through the Think music and -- in the spirit of Yoda's words -- did not.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Such a shame Cindy can't bask in the glory of become a 5-day J! champ...

You could tell from the intro to the Tony Bennet category that it was a paid spot and was going to be a time problem.

Judges, "sonar" an acceptable response for "echolocation"?

No clue on FJ!, went with inflation.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I came up with solution. Fit with two parts of the clue, though it was hard to resolve that with being drastic in politics. Probably spent more time than I should have trying to figure out how solution might fit with politics.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

It is so exciting to watch Cindy continue to win. Five wins is such a big deal.

I always love seeing Burkina Faso clues, my home away from home.

I agree that Tony seemed to be having trouble doing the reading, but I like him so I'll give him a pass. Precalled Lady Gaga in the top slot.

I had never heard of the Wolfe book, but "radical" fit the three categories they gave so I went with it. I also considered "solution" from math and chemistry, but it didn't have a political context.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

frus·tra·tion
frəˈstrāSH(ə)n/
noun
  • the feeling of being upset or annoyed, especially because of inability to change or achieve something.
  • the feeling when you think of 4 novels, 10 political terms, and ~10^100 chemistry/math terms, but not the right one. Usually followed by mild swearing.
Our first female 5-day champ in...a year and a half +? Bittersweet.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

tough game for me, too many wrong answers in the J round, was never getting FJ, but happy to go 3/3 on DD

props to Cindy for coming from behind and crushing the game with a sole get in FJ. but why say "bet all of it" when you could say "let's make it a TDD"?

Kristin started out strong in J but made a few costly mistakes in DJ. never been a fan of goofy faces / miming during the contestant introductions. it never really works.

I also negged on Clay for the compromise of 1850

A man called who now?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

She's amazing. That's all there is to it. And yes, she is basking as a 5xer.

FJ came to me, but it took some serious dredging of my brain after an initial "Wha???"
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

morbeedo wrote:A man called who now?
A Man Called Ove. In addition to a book, it's also a film (Sweden's entry for the Best Foreign Language Oscar).

The reference to Tom Wolfe in FJ only served to confuse me, as I was not familiar with that book.

I've never been prouder to share 5-timer status with anyone. Bravo, Cindy.
Last edited by teapot37 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Wow, what an incredible comeback by Cindy, as her run just gets better and better. I cheered so hard when she went TDD, and I cheered even harder when she nailed the DD to double her score. And yes, it's also very poignant that, having clinched a TOC berth for sure, she was robbed of the chance to play in the TOC.

I had no chance on FJ. I had NHO the Wolfe novel in question, which is called Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers. One of his lesser-known works for sure. You could know that Wolfe coined the term "radical chic," which as MarkBarrett pointed out has come up 3 previous times in the archive, without knowing it was in one of his book titles. And I wasn't going to get this FJ from the math angle either, what with my career .371 percentage on math questions in LL. :) The best I could do for a response was "acid," despite my 100% confidence that I would be wrong. Kudos to Cindy for a sole solve of a difficult FJ.

Like one of the posters above, I had sonar for echolocation, and based on my research that would have to be accepted.

I co-sign MarkBarrett's request to keep the Stephen King clues coming! And I did read all three novels in the trilogy that the clue on tonight's episode asked about.

No, Alex, we won't all be watching Tony Bennett's 90th birthday celebration on NBC tomorrow night. :D
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

NJ Cindy, you played like a real champ, never guessing, no misses, gutsy move on the TDD, sharp get on a toughie FJ. I know you are watching girl! You go!

Only 38R for goats. Gave "Acid test" which is both a Tom Wolfe title and a chemical term. Wolfe's book was about LSD culture... NHO Radical Chic however.

LT: 'black holes' >'gravity'; Stephen King >Mr Mercedes (repeat ask; apparently this is new material going to core J-know; Childe Harold > Lord Byron.
Sadly, I also gave "My Heart Will Go On" for Dion. Bah. :(
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

OSXpert wrote:I also considered "solution" from math and chemistry, but it didn't have a political context.
I spent way too much time thinking that calling "the final solution" drastic was a bit of an understatement.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

jpr281 wrote:You could tell from the intro to the Tony Bennet category that it was a paid spot and was going to be a time problem.

Yes, that would/should be acceptable, as I've read numerous times that bats use sonar to navigate.

I like Tony, but I wish they had let his "wife" read the clues. It might have saved time for 4 or 5 more clues on DJ.

FJ: Guessed "acid" even though I knew it was wrong. Only Wolfe books I knew were Acid Test, Right Stuff & Bonfire Of The Vanities.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

jpr281 wrote:
Yes, indeed should be acc; as both words are inclusive in definition from wiki (I gave 'echolocation' which J favors and has been re-asked):
Spoiler
so·nar
ˈsōˌnär/
noun
noun: sonar

a system for the detection of objects under water and for measuring the water's depth by emitting sound pulses and detecting or measuring their return after being reflected.
an apparatus used in a sonar system.
plural noun: sonars
the method of echolocation used in air or water by animals such as bats or whales.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!