Wednesday, December 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vowela » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:42 am

I used to love The Mary Tyler Moore Show, enough so that I knew it had the Phyllis spinoff, even if I remember Rhoda and its infectious theme song much better. That's been stuck in my head for much of the night :P.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:03 am

You guys are seriously missing out if you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia. Just try the first one and see if you don't want to keep going.

(Note: The first one is either The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, which was written first, or The Magician's Nephew, which takes place earliest in time. Either one makes a fine starting point.)

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:06 am

Vowela wrote:I used to love The Mary Tyler Moore Show, enough so that I knew it had the Phyllis spinoff, even if I remember Rhoda and its infectious theme song much better. That's been stuck in my head for much of the night :P.
Rhoda had an infectious theme song? I can hardly recall it. The Phyllis theme song, on the other hand, I remember well. However, the stand and stare didn't surprise me. I think it would have been a better clue if they'd been asked to name one of the two.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 am

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Civil War...
You never bothered to wonder what 'CSS' stood for in 'CSS Virginia' did you?
Nor have I heard of a CSS anything.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:11 am

Bamaman wrote:Phyllis only lasted two seasons, so that may be why you don't see it in reruns very often. I did a quick read of the Wikipedia article and it seems half the cast died. That probably put a dent in everyone's morale.
I wonder if they kindly contributed their unused years to Cloris. She's still chugging along at 90, having wrapped up her latest sitcom, Raising Hope in 2014.

Vowela

Post by Vowela » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Vowela wrote:I used to love The Mary Tyler Moore Show, enough so that I knew it had the Phyllis spinoff, even if I remember Rhoda and its infectious theme song much better. That's been stuck in my head for much of the night :P.
Rhoda had an infectious theme song? I can hardly recall it. The Phyllis theme song, on the other hand, I remember well. However, the stand and stare didn't surprise me. I think it would have been a better clue if they'd been asked to name one of the two.
https://youtu.be/eZgKXt7si4g
I'm sorry to do this to you :(.

And went to look up the Phyllis theme, and it's cool. Just don't remember it because I don't really remember the show at all. I'll agree about the clue, though. If I weren't a big MTM fan, I probably wouldn't have known at all about Phyllis' spinoff.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:04 am

opusthepenguin wrote:You guys are seriously missing out if you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia. Just try the first one and see if you don't want to keep going.

(Note: The first one is either The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, which was written first, or The Magician's Nephew, which takes place earliest in time. Either one makes a fine starting point.)
This is a highly contentious point among fans. Starting with The Magician's Nephew assumes the reader knows certain facts that were slowly revealed in the earlier books. I recommend starting with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Again, it's a controversial issue.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:20 am

I was pretty surprised that my complete guess of Narnia was correct. I just decided to think of whatever famous fictional place came to mind. A lazy effort, to be honest. But one that worked.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:11 am

Ah, for the days when shows had theme songs. I knew Rhoda and Phyllis was going to be a stand-and-stare. And Dumbarton Oaks. Both instagets for me, however. Age has its privileges.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:18 am

silverscreentest wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:You guys are seriously missing out if you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia. Just try the first one and see if you don't want to keep going.

This is a highly contentious point among fans. Starting with The Magician's Nephew assumes the reader knows certain facts that were slowly revealed in the earlier books. I recommend starting with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Again, it's a controversial issue.
Sounds like the same argument about which order to watch the Star Wars films. I think I would read them in the order they were written, but that's just me.

davey

Post by davey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:48 am

Bamaman wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:

Sounds like the same argument about which order to watch the Star Wars films. I think I would read them in the order they were written, but that's just me.
The 1-volume edition of all the books starts with The Magician's Nephew, which confused me a bit since it's a less familiar title. No indication except the copyright page that there's any other way of considering them.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 am

Add me to the "knew Rhoda but not Phyllis" camp. Possible poll?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:04 am

Bamaman wrote:Sicily is the big island that is being kicked by the boot. There are other Italian islands but it is the best known.

Name another famous singer named Billy. Are there any who has had a bigger career than Joel?

In the top box, going for the obvious is usually the best strategy.

Just to answer your query (perhaps not relating to the show's intent) , Billie Holiday.

snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:10 am

davey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:

The 1-volume edition of all the books starts with The Magician's Nephew, which confused me a bit since it's a less familiar title. No indication except the copyright page that there's any other way of considering them.
I really dislike that newer editions of the Narnia series re-order them based on chronology, instead of in the original publishing order. Bad publishers! :x

I agree with above posters that The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe makes for a more exciting discovery of the Narnia world.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:22 pm

LT: natural gas leak, Brandeis, Bering Sea, belles lettres,.

I have never read any of the Narnia stuff and really know nothing about it. This FJ Clue was designed to be the perfect stand-and-stare for me, except that I read it and thought, "wsrite down the first fictional land you can think of." I wrote Narnia. The most absolutely blind guess of my entire J! experience. But it counts.

Oh well....

And congrats to Justin, but man, seriously? Auburn in the Pac-12? Really man? That was just sad. You don't know what conference4 it IS in and don't know what state its in which is far, far away from Pac-land? But then again, he's a returning champ and I am...in the pool.

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:25 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:This game was a casualty of the "no ties" rule, and that's a shame. It would've been nice to see Justin and Dr. Mike face off for a second game.
Category 13 wrote:It would have offered a chance for a tie-breaker with both Justin or Stephanie, had he wagered $2800. If Mike had seen Steph's previous games, he might have had a hint that she was not willing to leave herself with ZERO at the end of FJ and made the choice for the low side 14,400 tie.
But upon seeing his wager, it becomes apparent that Mike wasn't about to let the tie-breaker happen.
Nah. Mike didn't see the possible ties scenario, otherwise he would either wagered $2800 or $2801. Wouldn't have mattered if it was 5 years ago judging by the round number wager.

Had I been in Mike's position I would have wagered $2800 in a heartbeat for two reasons. 1, 3rd place answering correctly AND correctly wagering everything while the leader misses isn't going to happen terribly often. 2, I don't see many Stephanies correctly wagering everything in this position because they don't want to finish the game with no money. Therefore a correct $2800 wager is still going to win the game outright quite a bit. Lastly, the leader is usually the one with the best buzzer mojo, so there's no reason to be scared about a tie-breaker clue.

There are certainly times in this situation with different player types where I would wager $2801.

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:20 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Add me to the "knew Rhoda but not Phyllis" camp. Possible poll?
I do know the actress who played Rhoda's sister is Julie Kavner, the long-time voice of Marge Simpson. That might be one to store in the memory bank for a future FJ.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:47 pm

For those Narnia fans among you, let me plug Michael Ward's book The Narnia Code, which makes the case (quite convincingly) that Lewis had a secret master plan in mind for the 7 chronicles based on the seven medieval planets. It is a great piece of scholarship, very readable, and deepens one's appreciation of the series.

And I absolutely agree that one ought to read the books in publication order.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:52 pm

goforthetie wrote:For those Narnia fans among you, let me plug Michael Ward's book The Narnia Code, which makes the case (quite convincingly) that Lewis had a secret master plan in mind for the 7 chronicles based on the seven medieval planets. It is a great piece of scholarship, very readable, and deepens one's appreciation of the series.

And I absolutely agree that one ought to read the books in publication order.
Me too. Here's a good article explaining why: http://decentfilms.com/blog/narnia-right-order

rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Golf wrote:Had I been in Mike's position I would have wagered $2800 in a heartbeat for two reasons. 1, 3rd place answering correctly AND correctly wagering everything while the leader misses isn't going to happen terribly often.
Heh, it's precisely this reason that I'd probably take the $2801 wager in this spot. It only hurts you if there's a sole get from third and third place wagers everything, otherwise it's equal or better than $2800. I think that's less likely than (first & second get it) + (second wagers everything) so I'd rather avoid the tiebreak in the latter case.