Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7435, 2016-12-30

CONTESTANTS
Ryan VanderYacht, a substitute teacher and stay-at-home dad from Lake Forest, California
Kate Gran, an attorney from East Northport, New York
Mukund Marathe, a music teacher and singer from Montclair, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Don't mind me, folks. I was standing backstage, trying to come up with some good New Year's resolutions for this weekend. Uh, came up with a few, but it doesn't matter. I don't keep them anyway. Mukund, good to have you with us. Kate and Ryan, welcome aboard. Let's go to work and have some fun. Our last show of this calendar year.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GUMMELIER (4/5)
THE LEADERS & BEST (3/4)
"HAPPY" NEW YEAR (5/5)
COAST (5/5)
DOVE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SOAP? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mukund: 8 R, 1 W
Kate: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ryan: 9 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mukund: $3,000
Kate: $1,400
Ryan: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ryan VanderYacht has a great ambition that is complicated by the fact that you live here in California, because your ambition is...

Ryan: Well, I'd like to go to all 30 baseball stadiums.

Alex: And most of them are in--

Ryan: Are not in California. Yes.

Alex: Or on the West Coast.

Ryan: Yeah, correct. And, uh, actually, I've only been to four so far, so I need to catch up. And one of them doesn't even exist anymore. It was the Kingdome up in Seattle.

Alex: Aha.

Ryan: So, uh, yeah. We did get to go to the Nationals Ballpark this spring in D.C. So hoping to get back East and maybe see a few more.

Alex: Okay. Well, good luck to you.

Ryan: Thanks.

Ryan: Thanks.

Alex: Kate Gran is an attorney from East Northport, New York. And you and your husband had a good time at your wedding...

Kate: Yes.

Alex: ...because you played together.

Kate: We did. My husband Artie and I played a song with the band at our wedding. I play the violin, and he plays the bass, so we played "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". And if you're very creative in your search terms, it can be found on YouTube.

Alex: Okay, good.

[Laughter]

Alex: It's a great number, too.

Alex: Mukund Marathe from Montclair, New Jersey, is our champion. Now as you've discovered, ladies and gentlemen, he has a fairly high-pitched voice, which is not unusual. But his wife's voice is much lower, and that can cause problems.

Mukund: Yes, uh, my wife is a mezzo-soprano, which is a low woman's voice, and my voice is a high tenor. So when people call us up on the phone, uh, they never know who they're talking to. Because I tend to answer the phone, [high pitch ascending] "Hello?" And she says... [deepens voice] "Hello?"

[Laughter]

Mukund: [Normal voice] So we have fun with that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kate found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Mukund had $3,800, Kate had $5,000, and Ryan was at $2,800. Kate wagered $1,000.

DOVE $1000: 1997's "Comanche Moon" was the last published of the 4 novels in this Western series
(Kate: I have no idea.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE GUMMELIER $800: You'll love the pink packaging of this rhyming brand's bubble tape gum; pull some out & embrace the lean suppleness
(Ryan: What is Dubble Bubble?)

THE LEADERS & BEST $200: After Moses died this man led the children of Israel over the Jordan & conquered Jericho

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SOAP? $1000: For 45 years the town of Llanview was the setting for this serial

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kate: $4,000
Mukund: $3,800
Ryan: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED SCIENTISTS' LAST NAMES (2/3)
GEORGIA IN SONG (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOCTORED BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOREVER STAMPS (5/5)
THE MIDDLE AGES (3/5)
ALL IN THE FAMILY? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mukund: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ryan: 8 R, 1 W
Kate: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kate snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Mukund had $3,800, Kate had $4,800, and Ryan was at $3,200. Kate wagered $2,000.

GEORGIA IN SONG $1200: Nice neighbor! This "stately" mega-group of country sang "Burn Georgia Burn"
(Kate: Florida-Georgia Line?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mukund who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Mukund had $7,800, Kate had $2,800, and Ryan was at $6,800. Mukund wagered $1,000.

DOCTORED BOOKS $2000: Dr. Bernard Rieux forgoes escape to stay behind & fight the deadly contagion in this Albert Camus work

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MIDDLE AGES $800: Adopted "municipal" name of Odo de Lagny, elected pope in 1088 & a leader of ecclesiastical church reform
(Ryan: What's the city father?)

THE MIDDLE AGES $2000: Cathedrals went higher & higher with the use of pointed arches, forming this anatomical type of vault
(Mukund: What is a groin?)

ANAGRAMMED SCIENTISTS' LAST NAMES $1600: A prolific breeder:
BARK BUN
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mukund: $14,800
Ryan: $9,600
Kate: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-WINNING TITLE SUBJECTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Mukund: Wager $4,401 to cover Ryan.
Ryan: You have the hope of surpassing Mukund if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,001 to force Mukund to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Kate.
Kate: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $8,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only Nobel Prize winner to be the title subject of a Best Picture Oscar winner is this man

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $8,800 - $8,000 = $800 (Who is Roosevelt) (2nd place)
Ryan: $9,600 - $9,000 = $600 (Who is Stephen Hawking?) (3rd place)
Mukund: $14,800 - $4,401 = $10,399 (Who is Oppenheimer?) (21401-day champion: $10,399)
(Alex: If you were able to recall that he was the 1994 co-recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economics, you were home free.)
(Alex: [To Mukund] The movie was A Beautiful Mind, the story of [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mukund: $15,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kate: $11,800, 14 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Ryan: $9,600, 17 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Mukund: 18/59 = .305
Ryan: 17/58 = .293
Kate: 14/60 = .233
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE LEADERS & BEST $800: French president from 1995 to 2007 he was followed by his onetime protege Nicolas Sarkozy
(Ryan: Who is François Mitterrand?)

COAST $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Starting in Southern California, south of San Juan Capistrano, & ending in Mendocino County, Highway 1, or the PCH, short for this, provides some gorgeous scenery as it lives up to its name

COAST $800: Wows like Cape Spear Lighthouse make the Avalon Peninsula on this Canadian island "National Geographic's" top coast
(Mukund: What is Prince Edward Island?)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SOAP? $800: One of the first successful primetime serials, it aired 2 nights a week & was based on a Grace Metalious novel
(Alex: Less than a minute to go.)

ALL IN THE FAMILY? $800: It tastes tart and may go into a tart

ALL IN THE FAMILY? $1600: In the English version of a song, he's informed that "morning bells are ringing, morning bells are ringing"
(Alex: Frère Jacques.)

FOREVER STAMPS $800: Stamps celebrating this character's 75th anniversary included the one seen here

FOREVER STAMPS $1600: In 2015, gifts of friendship stamps, including the one seen here, were jointly issued by the United States & this country

FOREVER STAMPS $2000: A 2016 series celebrating the National Park Service included a stamp of this park that covers over 3 million acres

THE MIDDLE AGES $1200: With its excellent port facilities, Riga, Latvia was an important center of this league of merchant cities
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Lonesome Dove
Hubba Bubba
Joshua
One Life to Live
Alabama
The Plague
Pope Urban
a ribbed vault
Luther Burbank
John Nash
Jacques Chirac
the Pacific Coast Highway
Newfoundland
Peyton Place
a Granny Smith apple
Brother John
Batman
Japan
Glacier Bay
the Hanseatic League
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-WINNING FILM SUBJECTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only Nobel Prize winner to be the title subject of a Best Picture Oscar winner is this man

Mukund Marathe: 14800-4401=10399 (2x = $31,799)
Kate Gran: 8800-8000=800
Ryan Vanderyacht: 9600-9000=600

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Nash (Mukund – Oppenheimer) (Kate – Roosevelt) (Ryan – Stephen Hawking)

Daily Doubles
Kate: 5000-1000
Kate: 4800-2000
Ryan: 7800+1000

Coryats
Mukund: 15800
Kate: 11800
Ryan: 9600

Combined: 37,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

There's some vicious, vicious negbait for FJ... surprised none of the contestants gave it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It took all of five seconds to find Kate's video on YT:
Spoiler
At least I had company with my misses blurting Mitterand and Double Bubble.

$2K for "Midnight Train to Georgia"? Allrighty then, the writers want a buzzer battle.

Kate had no luck solving the gettable (if one is old enough) Lonesome Dove or Alabama on her DDs when a solve on either one could have changed the wagering scenarios for the FJ! round.

Mukund solved his DD for the Camus work and had enough of a lead to win on the 3x miss.

I went old school in missing the FJ! clue by writing Emile Zola. There was no doubt about the Best Picture portion while the Nobel portion was a wish and a prayer that was not to be.

When Alex gave his hint after time was up I knew the movie was A Beautiful Mind and I had John. I paused the game and it must have been at least 20 seconds before I completed it by coming up with Nash. So, I would have needed to very quickly get to the movie to have any chance to have solved it.

The clue has triple miss written all over it and the first poster here that had it as an instaget and was surprised it was not a triple get is poor at judging expected contestant results.

I'm looking forward to another Mukund time with Alex on Monday as the champ is 2/2 with the clown/kid and high/low voice stories so far.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I stupidly interpreted FJ to mean Nobel Peace Prize winners and couldn't think of anyone better than King George VI.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought it was just called Bubble Tape. I didn't know Hubba Bubba was part of the name too.

Joshua flew right over my head because "Jericho" failed to trigger anything.

The whole Soap category was completely impenetrable to me.

I've heard of both Dubai and the United Arab Emirates, but didn't actually know what an "emirate" was, so that clue baffled me too.

Precalled "Georgia on My Mind" and "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" in the Georgia category. The John Mayer song was my only miss.

WLT Genghis Khan at $400?

"Oh, is it going to be Holmes or Watson?" Pick the one that fits the category, dumbass.

"Well, that's Frere Jacques, but the song begins with 'Are You Sleeping' in English, and that's not familial. What am I missing?" Only miss in the category, too.

Somehow "A Beautiful Mind" popped into my mind for a moment, but I didn't know who the movie was about, and that name is too normal to ring any bells for me.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I went with Hawking and then Gandhi. Oh, well.

I think this is Kate's wedding video she tried to plug in her Q&A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tj1ukKFyr4
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For Best Picture winners about some who (even if chances are next to none) could have won a Nobel who's on the list?

Gandhi
Patton
Emile Zola

others?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Thanks mom, for all those soap operas you used to watch, which made that category an easy 5/5, including the Llanview/OLTL TS.

When I saw that anagrammed scientist category my mouth watered. Free money! Then they left it to die, and I started cursing under my breath. Speaking of which...
MarkBarrett wrote:$2K for "Midnight Train to Georgia"? Allrighty then, the writers want a buzzer battle.
I can't even repeat what I said when I saw that. I mean, there's always going to be overvalued clues, but that was pretty egregious. Then again, I thought Lonesome Dove as a bottom row DD in a 'Dove' category was pretty bad too, and she missed it. What do I know.

5 years ago I would've missed FJ. Now, with the "stop sucking at movie trivia" project moving along at a decent pace (recent actor/director category notwithstanding), it was an instaget, followed by 29.5 seconds of wondering if it would fit their idea of 'title subject'. I thought one of them would get it. Triple get? No way in hell.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

MarkBarrett wrote:For Best Picture winners about some who (even if chances are next to none) could have won a Nobel who's on the list?

Gandhi
Patton
Emile Zola

others?
Gandhi was who I was referring to in my comment above. He probably would have won a Nobel had he not been assassinated. If you think of both A Beautiful Mind and Gandhi in the 30 seconds, which would you conclude is more likely: that Gandhi won the Nobel Peace Prize, or that Nash counts as a "title character"?

The thought of Patton winning a Nobel is hilarious. Would TE Lawrence or Oskar Schindler fit better?
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Seems like FJs are getting to be like NYT crosswords: progressively harder through the week. I knew it was "A Beautiful Mind" and Russell Crowe played him, but no way in Hades would I come up with John Nash. That one should poll lower than Namibia.

LT: Joshua and both missed DDs (Alabama & Lonesome Dove). Said "Midnight Plane To Georgia," because the original title was "Midnight Plane To Houston" so I gave myself half credit.

This week, we had a stay-at-home mom (Stephanie) and dad ( Ryan). Can't remember that happening before.
davey

Post by davey »

goforthetie wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:For Best Picture winners about some who (even if chances are next to none) could have won a Nobel who's on the list?

Gandhi
Patton
Emile Zola

others?
Gandhi was who I was referring to in my comment above. He probably would have won a Nobel had he not been assassinated. If you think of both A Beautiful Mind and Gandhi in the 30 seconds, which would you conclude is more likely: that Gandhi won the Nobel Peace Prize, or that Nash counts as a "title character"?

The thought of Patton winning a Nobel is hilarious. Would TE Lawrence or Oskar Schindler fit better?
I think Mark was thinking of George Marshall. (He did win, of course, but no picture...) No way in hell Patton is getting a Nobel...
I said Gandhi with confidence. On the unlikely chance I'd think of A Beautiful Mind the name Nash would not come to me.
The clue asks for title subject, not title character....
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Ahhhh, a frustrating final for me -- I figured out it was A Beautiful Mind with the prize in Economics, but I put down von Neumann, getting my Princeton Johns mixed up.

Got a funny LT of Alabama on the Georgia DD. I had no idea and just picked a nearby state that happened to be right. Makes up for not remembering the name Peyton Place even though I was reading about it last night.

One thing that stinks about playing along at home is that contestants often seem to do their best to avoid the more academic categories. Of course it would be the scientist category that doesn't get finished. C'est la vie, I suppose.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Some would argue this FJ has no correct answers. The "Nobel Prize in Economics" isn't, technically, a Nobel Prize.

Didn't keep me from saying Nash.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

teapot37 wrote:Some would argue this FJ has no correct answers. The "Nobel Prize in Economics" isn't, technically, a Nobel Prize.

Hi there -

The Nobel Prize in Econ isn't a Nobel Prize??? How is that? I know there's no Nobel in Math... but????

I knew it the picture was A Beautiful Mind, but just couldn't come up with the subject's name --- been a while since I've thought of it, I suppose...(hope my fellow mathies here forgive me that!).

And Joshua was a TS?

Maybe they didn't learn the song:

Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho, Jericho, Jericho
Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho
And the walls came tumbling down
davey

Post by davey »

jwatcher16 wrote:
teapot37 wrote:Some would argue this FJ has no correct answers. The "Nobel Prize in Economics" isn't, technically, a Nobel Prize.

Hi there -

The Nobel Prize in Econ isn't a Nobel Prize??? How is that? I know there's no Nobel in Math... but????
[/i]
The economics prize wasn't endowed by Nobel, but it's named in his memory and listed and discussed at the Nobel Prize official website along with all the others.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

goforthetie wrote:There's some vicious, vicious negbait for FJ... surprised none of the contestants gave it.
I am feeling the most sick I have ever felt after a FJ!...I freakin' insta-got John Nash (live in the area he's from as a matter of fact), only to turn it down midway through the music for Oskar Schindler. I developed this nasty thought that the person they wanted had to be mentioned by name in the title, and not figuratively speaking. Drat!! :x
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jwatcher16 wrote:And Joshua was a TS?
I knew Joshua blah blah Children of Israel blah blah Jericho, but the stuff about Moses dying was enough to steer me away.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jwatcher16 wrote:

Hi there -

Chris is right.

It's not.

It's a prize in Economic Sciences awarded in memory of Alfred Nobel.

A more cynical person would say that it was awarded because the Swedish bank wanted to give credence to right-wing nutjob economic theory by giving their cronies "Nobel Prizes", thereby normalizing what turned out to be Reaganomics.

Besides, OP only made the semifinals of the UToC.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan