Sploofus thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

Well done indeed by Reddpen to average 1453 for the month. I missed four in April (8100 behind Reddpen), so it was only my trigger finger for the hits that kept me in the top 10. My month could have been 30/30 and it still would have not been good enough for the top.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:52 pm Well done indeed by Reddpen to average 1453 for the month. I missed four in April (8100 behind Reddpen), so it was only my trigger finger for the hits that kept me in the top 10. My month could have been 30/30 and it still would have not been good enough for the top.
1453 average is just unreal. I don't know that I've scored that much on a correct answer yet. I was happy I got my average above 1300 in April. For me, one of the tricks was making sure my kids were not streaming when I went to answer the question. I've been doing sploofus for two months and I can only recall breaking 1400 twice.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Sherm wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:52 pm Well done indeed by Reddpen to average 1453 for the month. I missed four in April (8100 behind Reddpen), so it was only my trigger finger for the hits that kept me in the top 10. My month could have been 30/30 and it still would have not been good enough for the top.
1453 average is just unreal. I don't know that I've scored that much on a correct answer yet. I was happy I got my average above 1300 in April. For me, one of the tricks was making sure my kids were not streaming when I went to answer the question. I've been doing sploofus for two months and I can only recall breaking 1400 twice.
I'm sure there is something in many browsers/their server that slows down connections. I still get a very slow connection through my office LAN which should be blazingly fast. I think it may be time to experiment, or get Reddpen (and others') hints as to what browser works best.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I use Chrome, desktop PC (not on wireless connection), Comcast broadband, corded mouse and AOL Desktop when I play Sploofus, whatever that combination may mean. I very rarely have the lag and technical problems others run into. Even when I do there can be a delay in showing my score, but it registers fine once it does without the clock running down and no chance to enter that some have.

My playing time is usually within 15-20 minutes at the latest of getting the email, so 10:25ish to 10:45 p.m PT.

I had at least a couple of scores in the 1500s and 1600s during April with a handful in the 1400s as well. I try to guesstimate the middle of where the answers will appear, speed read the question for key facts, and click and react.

J!6 has some similar skills and is good practice for Sploofus.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I get good speed using Firefox, but it's probably more your connection than anything else that makes a difference. I don't use Chrome because I trust Lord Google about as much as I trust politicians (of all flavors).

Speed is probably my only advantage. Generally if I know something, it comes to me instantly. Certainly my knowledge set pales in comparison to many here (I have never passed the "test"), but I've hit the top 50 on Sploofus three of the six months or so that I've played. Or maybe the questions are just easier for newer players.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the Q tonight that got me to level 128.8 if anyone is near that level to see if that is what plays for everyone at 128.7

Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:29 am This is the Q tonight that got me to level 128.8 if anyone is near that level to see if that is what plays for everyone at 128.7
If they are in sequence, it wouldn't work this way because you only advance a level if you get a question correct.

The best way to check is to start a new account and play for a week. If all the questions seem familiar, that's the way it works. Obviously, not recommending you game the system by using this to garner a top score.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

boson wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:40 pm
I'm sure there is something in many browsers/their server that slows down connections. I still get a very slow connection through my office LAN which should be blazingly fast. I think it may be time to experiment, or get Reddpen (and others') hints as to what browser works best.
Thanks, everyone, for your kind remarks. April was just an unbelievable month for some reason, though I don't know how many I missed--are those numbers available somewhere?

Because I saved screen caps of new record times (the first two of which happened the same day), I can report getting times of 2.56, 2.51, and 2.43 seconds on the Indy 500, Pele, and Pete Rose questions, for 1781, 1796, and 1823 (!) points. Odds are I won't see a streak like that again anytime soon, but damn, was it fun while it lasted.

Fwiw, I use Chrome on a new Lenovo laptop but doubt that makes a lot of difference. I've shared my submission technique with one boardie but am reluctant to broadcast it widely. Suffice to say if I figured out what seems to be a faster way to submit answers, you can too.
In and out of the pool four times
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

May 31 seems to be the end: http://sploofus.com/bbs_detail.sp?post=376731&cID=7

I've missed three this month already, so I don't like my chances to finish in the top 10 although I'll give it my best shot.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 pm May 31 seems to be the end: http://sploofus.com/bbs_detail.sp?post=376731&cID=7

I've missed three this month already, so I don't like my chances to finish in the top 10 although I'll give it my best shot.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Qrank, Streak, Sploofus: why does every online trivia thing I like have to shut down?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This is terrible news. Unfortunately, Sploofus is the myspace of trivia sites. It's been stuck in the mid-2000's (some of the TQOTD's are that old) and the quality of many of their questions hasn't been too good. I hate that I'll never get to reach Level 10.
Hoping for a third lap
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BUmmer Hit level 10 today and saw this. o well I can die happy now! :(
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

reddpen wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm
boson wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:40 pm
Thanks, everyone, for your kind remarks. April was just an unbelievable month for some reason, though I don't know how many I missed--are those numbers available somewhere?

Because I saved screen caps of new record times (the first two of which happened the same day), I can report getting times of 2.56, 2.51, and 2.43 seconds on the Indy 500, Pele, and Pete Rose questions, for 1781, 1796, and 1823 (!) points. Odds are I won't see a streak like that again anytime soon, but damn, was it fun while it lasted.

Fwiw, I use Chrome on a new Lenovo laptop but doubt that makes a lot of difference. I've shared my submission technique with one boardie but am reluctant to broadcast it widely. Suffice to say if I figured out what seems to be a faster way to submit answers, you can too.
Since it's nearly over, wth: Before you click through to the question, put a finger of your left hand on the Enter button. Then soon as you mouse-click your answer, press Enter and your answer gets submitted, much more quickly than trying to click in a second place.
In and out of the pool four times
billiej

Post by billiej »

At least I got my last question right. Currently on the first page, although I'm sure that'll change as the day wears on. Bye. :cry:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Reached level 11 before the end and nailed the last clue today, so I can die happy:

CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 3.98 seconds!

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED
CORRECTLY 84.2% OF THE TIME

Points for Correct Answer: 1,000 Sploofus Points
Time Bonus Points: 502 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,502 Sploofus Points
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:17 am Since it's nearly over, wth: Before you click through to the question, put a finger of your left hand on the Enter button. Then soon as you mouse-click your answer, press Enter and your answer gets submitted, much more quickly than trying to click in a second place.
I tried that last night and it didn't work for me. Maybe because my keyboard only has a Return key :mrgreen: And, in fitting fashion, I conclude my Sploofus career with a neg on a question about the Swedish royal family. And so it goes...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:17 am Since it's nearly over, wth: Before you click through to the question, put a finger of your left hand on the Enter button. Then soon as you mouse-click your answer, press Enter and your answer gets submitted, much more quickly than trying to click in a second place.
Tried it yesterday and today and had my two fastest times (as best I can recall) ever! Had 3.02 sec yesterday and 3.11 today. So, thanks for the tip!

Of course, that makes me feel even better having actually won a month doing it the "slow" way. :)
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

A good final day on Sploofus for me. Got the last daily question, responded to and won my last Trivia Showdown, and got a tip of the hat from someone congratulating me on being the only person to beat them in a Showdown. (I'm only 83rd on the monthly leaderboard, though -- had hoped for better.)

I'm really going to miss Sploofus, though -- anyone have any good suggestions for a similar daily trivia competition website?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

They shut down the site, but not the TQOTD reminder emails? C'mon, man.
Sprinkles are for winners.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I went 18/31 in May and must have finished in the 500's. No way to know now, since the connection resets every time I try going on. There must be a way to unsubscribe from their automated e-mails.
RIP Sploofus.
Hoping for a third lap