Sploofus thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by gobobbygo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:57 am

Y'all could be right, but I routinely see the timer counting down to 20 seconds left, then 15, then ten, then I go to the you-got-it-right (or wrong, a lot lately) screen, and the number of seconds generally feels right to me. Like, it'll say ten seconds left, and then the next screen will say I got the answer in three-point-something seconds.

It's clear I'm getting some kind of systemic advantage y'all aren't getting, I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

I'm using a macbook and chrome browser, but that can't be that rare. And <3 seconds for me is uncommon, but not unheard of. Probably 3-4x/month.

Anachronism
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by Anachronism » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:08 pm

I've had it lag for several minutes after playing a quiz, but the score was always accurate. Same with TQOTD. Just let it do its thing. The issue seems to be with whatever function it uses to call the function that constructs the results page. I'm sure someone who knows his (or her) way around a server could fix it easily on their end. Internet processing is rife with minor incompatibilities between the server types.

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by goatman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:27 am

Here's another one. INstant recognition, find answer in list of choices and submit PDQ but came in over 6s. This time there was a perceptible lag between click 'show question' and appearance, pretty sure 2s went in there so if you come in under 4s it's pure good luck in combination with some skill!
SpoilerShow
CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 6.78 seconds!

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED
CORRECTLY 24.7% OF THE TIME

Points for Correct Answer: 1,000 Sploofus Points
Time Bonus Points: 294 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,294 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 3243969
Note your new point totals at the top of the page.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by goatman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 pm

YAY!!! FINALLY!!
SpoilerShow
CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 4.31 seconds!

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED
CORRECTLY 75.8% OF THE TIME

Points for Correct Answer: 1,000 Sploofus Points
Time Bonus Points: 464 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,464 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 9242581
Note your new point totals at the top of the page.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

User avatar
triviawayne
Got a Congratulations Email!
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by triviawayne » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I've been checking this out.

The clock starts ticking when you click the button to reveal the question, so the loading time is your loss. The lag in submit until their server gets off coffee break and processes your answer is also your loss.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
triviawayne
Got a Congratulations Email!
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by triviawayne » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Really wishing I could get a picture to post here, but I just got 2000 points on a RT of 0.01 seconds.

It took forever for the question to appear after I hit the show question button, and I was thinking I'd be lucky to get many points at all.

I hit the answer and submit pretty quick, but it's safe to say not that quick!
Total game show career losings = $171,522

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I just got caught up on old Qs, hit a string of 8 or 9 right, and am now sitting at #2. Learned to move my mouse pointer to where the radio buttons will be to shave some time off my scores too.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by Woof » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 am

triviawayne wrote:Really wishing I could get a picture to post here, but I just got 2000 points on a RT of 0.01 seconds.

It took forever for the question to appear after I hit the show question button, and I was thinking I'd be lucky to get many points at all.

I hit the answer and submit pretty quick, but it's safe to say not that quick!
I had a *somewhat* similar experience. The page took forever to load, but it was an instaget Physical Sciences question, so I did it as fast as I could, only to encounter yet more lag. The message I got was "Congratulations! You answered this question correctly in 30.06 seconds for a bonus of 66." WTF? :shock:

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by sarisson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:02 am

I just joined a few days ago (same name on there) and I've already made the leaderboard on a few quizzes. It's too bad the TQOTD is the only factor that determines your level. Last I checked, I was #1 on a math quiz. Today I hit #4 on a miscellaneous trivia quiz, ahead of mystcmage, bomtr, goatman, and others. :shock:
One-time swimmer

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 am

Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Really wishing I could get a picture to post here, but I just got 2000 points on a RT of 0.01 seconds.

It took forever for the question to appear after I hit the show question button, and I was thinking I'd be lucky to get many points at all.

I hit the answer and submit pretty quick, but it's safe to say not that quick!
I had a *somewhat* similar experience. The page took forever to load, but it was an instaget Physical Sciences question, so I did it as fast as I could, only to encounter yet more lag. The message I got was "Congratulations! You answered this question correctly in 30.06 seconds for a bonus of 66." WTF? :shock:
I just answered a question, but the page wouldn't load. I finally got a "you took more than 30 seconds to answer" message.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Anachronism
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by Anachronism » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:33 am

This one might well be my fastest:

Image

Short question, have to be looking for the right answer instantly, get lucky and click inside the tiny circle first try. Not sure I could go faster even without trying to read the question.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8006
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by dhkendall » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 am

I think this is the first time I got an even number (i.e. without a decimal fraction of a second after the whole second)

Image
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by econgator » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 pm

And then you get some really stupid questions. Today, mine was something like "When did Ewan McGregor host the Scottish Games?" and the choices were the years 2000-2004. Seriously? How is that anything but random guessing (which was pretty much borne out by the 19.2% get rate). It's 2001, btw.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by Johnblue » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm pretty far outside the USA right now & even though I usually answer within a few seconds(5 or 6), it's saying that I'm taking 11 or 12 seconds to answer.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by reddpen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:10 am

Anachronism wrote:This one might well be my fastest:

Image

Short question, have to be looking for the right answer instantly, get lucky and click inside the tiny circle first try. Not sure I could go faster even without trying to read the question.
That's a very good time. I got a screen capture last month of an answer in 2.89 seconds for 1,692 points but couldn't figure out how to upload it, and now yours is better anyway. Pretty sure I've topped 1,700 before, but only a couple times at most. Cheezguy's mouse fu (if that's what he uses) is impressive.

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by goatman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:57 pm

My best yet!! Vermilion, crimson, etc = ...

CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 3.37 seconds!

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED
CORRECTLY 52.8% OF THE TIME

Points for Correct Answer: 1,000 Sploofus Points
Time Bonus Points: 593 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,593 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 6511815
Note your new point totals at the top of the page.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by reddpen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:06 am

Shout-out to boardies who placed well in February's TQOTD standings, including:
  • 2. Gobobbygo
    3. Jkbrat
    4. Reddpen
    9. Whoismark
    11. Cheezguyty
    16. Elendilpickle
    26. Theconfessor
    43. Bigdaddymatty
and probably others I've overlooked. Nice work, team!

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by Woof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6413
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Woof wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm
Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
The site was down for several days. I checked now and was able to play catch-up with four questions. During the down time I did not get the emails although I would expect one tonight with everything working again. I've missed 3 or 4 this month, so I'm lucky to currently be on page 1 at least. For now.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by boson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm
Woof wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm
Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
The site was down for several days. I checked now and was able to play catch-up with four questions. During the down time I did not get the emails although I would expect one tonight with everything working again. I've missed 3 or 4 this month, so I'm lucky to currently be on page 1 at least. For now.
If I check my unanswered questions, it lists March 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 - and gives me a chance to answer them. Some weird time travel trivia going on.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], boson, Google [Bot], OSXpert, Plactus and 22 guests