2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett »

More 2017 Golden Globes:

Tom Hiddleston, Olivia Colman (she is a fantastic actress) & Hugh Laurie won awards for acting in The Night Manager based on the work by John le Carré.

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story had an acting winner with Sarah Paulson who played Marcia Clark.

And Jimmy Fallon was the host tonight.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Olivia Colman (she is a fantastic actress)
I liked her in Broadchurch, too.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Are Golden Globes really that common as J! topics? I know the writers are fond of Oscars, but I don't recall GG's coming up all that often.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Kenny wrote:Are Golden Globes really that common as J! topics? I know the writers are fond of Oscars, but I don't recall GG's coming up all that often.
They come up often enough. The lists of noms/winners is pretty useful for knowing what's popular if you don't otherwise follow pop culture closely.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Kenny wrote:Are Golden Globes really that common as J! topics? I know the writers are fond of Oscars, but I don't recall GG's coming up all that often.
I find the Golden Globes helpful in keeping up with TV, which is getting tougher because of the proliferation of shows. The GGs and Emmys are also roughly six months apart, so I get two chances to bone up on the topic.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
They come up often enough. The lists of noms/winners is pretty useful for knowing what's popular if you don't otherwise follow pop culture closely.
I think it's handy for knowing what's critically acclaimed. There's often little overlap with what's popular.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Marissa Mayer is resigning from the Yahoo board of directors. Yahoo! is going to rename itself Altaba as well.
http://gizmodo.com/marissa-mayer-will-r ... 1791001539
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
I think it's handy for knowing what's critically acclaimed. There's often little overlap with what's popular.
With respect to what's popular, BoxOfficeMojo.com is worth checking from time to time for the top-grossing movies. By the way, top-grossing movies have come up more than once in Think Different.

One more observation. Animated films and, especially, superhero films have come up often on Jeopardy.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The Clemson Tigers scored the winning touchdown with one second remaining to defeat the Alabama Crimson Tide, 35-31, and win the 2017 College Football Playoff championship.

This game marked the first "rematch" for a national championship in the history of college football (Alabama won last year's CFP title). That said, postseason results were excluded from national ranking polls prior to 1965, and weren't universally recognized until 1974; meanwhile, an ostensible national championship game between #1 and #2-ranked teams was not standard until the establishment of the Bowl Coalition in 1992, which gave way to the Bowl Alliance in 1995, the Bowl Championship Series in 1998, and finally the College Football Playoff in 2014.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Blue Lion wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
With respect to what's popular, BoxOfficeMojo.com is worth checking from time to time for the top-grossing movies. By the way, top-grossing movies have come up more than once in Think Different.

One more observation. Animated films and, especially, superhero films have come up often on Jeopardy.
Box office mojo doesn't tell you about the movies though.

What I've been doing recently is to go to IMDB every week and look at the top ten, then each week, watch the previews of any new movies on the list.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:TV
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (on HBO starring Oprah based on book by Rebecca Skloot)
Wait, what? Henrietta Lacks died at 31 and Oprah is 62.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BobF wrote:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (on HBO starring Oprah based on book by Rebecca Skloot)
Hint: sometimes the title character of a film is not the lead role. [edit: However, the woman in the title role is 46...]
BobF

Post by BobF »

seaborgium wrote:
BobF wrote:
Hint: sometimes the title character of a film is not the lead role. [edit: However, the woman in the title role is 46...]
Thanks, element number 106. I realized that after I hit the post button. :-)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BobF wrote:

Henrietta Lacks had a cancer that produced the first "Immortal Cells" which can continue to undergo cellular division indefinitely. These cells are useful in biochemistry research and HeLa cells are still used by researchers today. The doctor treating Henrietta Lacks took the cells without her consent or knowledge and this is one of the most commonly discussed medical ethics dilemmas.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MattKnowles wrote:
BobF wrote:

Henrietta Lacks had a cancer that produced the first "Immortal Cells" which can continue to undergo cellular division indefinitely. These cells are useful in biochemistry research and HeLa cells are still used by researchers today. The doctor treating Henrietta Lacks took the cells without her consent or knowledge and this is one of the most commonly discussed medical ethics dilemmas.
Thanks. Knew that. My son majored in bio before he dropped out of college. :-(
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MattKnowles wrote:
BobF wrote:
Not exactly. The doctor took a cancerous sample from Henrietta Lacks' cervix during her treatment for testing. Perfectly normal and ethical. Back in the 50s, there also weren't mountains of consent forms to sign for anything and everything, and hospitals didn't live in mortal fear of lawsuits. (Nor do these consent forms alter anything except liability; if you want to be treated, you sign them, and doctors proceed to do immeasurably more significant/invasive procedures, occasionally without a patient's knowledge, anyways)

Of course, it's interesting that one knows the name Henrietta Lacks and her life story but not that of the researchers who discovered the unusual properties of what was mere medical waste.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

IronNeck wrote:
MattKnowles wrote:
BobF wrote:
Not exactly. The doctor took a cancerous sample from Henrietta Lacks' cervix during her treatment for testing. Perfectly normal and ethical. Back in the 50s, there also weren't mountains of consent forms to sign for anything and everything, and hospitals didn't live in mortal fear of lawsuits. (Nor do these consent forms alter anything except liability; if you want to be treated, you sign them, and doctors proceed to do immeasurably more significant/invasive procedures, occasionally without a patient's knowledge, anyways)

Of course, it's interesting that one knows the name Henrietta Lacks and her life story but not that of the researchers who discovered the unusual properties of what was mere medical waste.
It is true that the doctors were doing nothing unusual in taking a biopsy of a cancerous tumor. Where they deviated from what today would be considered standard practice was in sharing the cell line with researchers after finding that the cell culture was immortalized without getting the consent of the patient, Ms. Lacks. It is indeed today a frequently discussed case of medical ethics. As a researcher, I used HeLa cells on several occasions long before learning the story of their source, which made big news when it first came to light.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

William Peter Blatty, Author of ‘The Exorcist,’ Dies at 89

“The Exorcist” marked a radical shift in Mr. Blatty’s career, which was already well established in another genre: He was one of Hollywood’s leading comedy writers.

Mr. Blatty collaborated with the director Blake Edwards on the screenplays for four films, beginning in 1964 with “A Shot in the Dark,” the second movie (after “The Pink Panther”) starring Peter Sellers as the bumbling Inspector Clouseau and, in some critics’ view, the best.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

When I first moved to Washington, I lived in Georgetown. After I moved in, I went to Radio Shack to buy an item, and the salesman asked me for my address (as they always did at Radio Shack back then to send you a catalog or seven). I gave him my address, and he said "Oh, you must live near the Exorcist House." I replied, "What?". He said, "Don't you live near the Exorcist House?" (Mind you, the movie was less than 10 years old at that point). I said "What are you talking about?" and he said "Don't you live at the top of the big staircase?" and I replied "Yeah ... " and as he was talking, I put two and two together and grimly realized I lived directly across the street from the Exorcist House. I didn't sleep that night. Nor pretty much the next one, either. It took a while to get used to the concept. But at least I was able to figure out what the tourists were looking at all the time. And my daily commute involved climbing down the stairs in the morning and back up on my way home at the end of the day.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:When I first moved to Washington, I lived in Georgetown. After I moved in, I went to Radio Shack to buy an item, and the salesman asked me for my address (as they always did at Radio Shack back then to send you a catalog or seven). I gave him my address, and he said "Oh, you must live near the Exorcist House." I replied, "What?". He said, "Don't you live near the Exorcist House?" (Mind you, the movie was less than 10 years old at that point). I said "What are you talking about?" and he said "Don't you live at the top of the big staircase?" and I replied "Yeah ... " and as he was talking, I put two and two together and grimly realized I lived directly across the street from the Exorcist House. I didn't sleep that night. Nor pretty much the next one, either. It took a while to get used to the concept. But at least I was able to figure out what the tourists were looking at all the time. And my daily commute involved climbing down the stairs in the morning and back up on my way home at the end of the day.
Hanging on to the railing with both hands all the way?