2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by earendel »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:32 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:45 am Speaking of the MLS, the Columbus Crew is apparently moving to Austin.
Wow. All I can say is that a few USL teams along the Ohio River (read: FC Cinci, Lou City FC) will be following this story closely. If Columbus does move to Austin, that opens the door wide for one of them (or both, though unlikely) to make the jump to MLS as the league continues to expand.
LCFC just announced that they're building a stadium (required by USL rules); I'm pretty sure that the possibility of MLS expansion is at the back of people's minds, but I would suspect that Cincinnati will get the nod (unless there are multiple openings).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

earendel wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:12 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:45 am Speaking of the MLS, the Columbus Crew is apparently moving to Austin.
Wow. All I can say is that a few USL teams along the Ohio River (read: FC Cinci, Lou City FC) will be following this story closely. If Columbus does move to Austin, that opens the door wide for one of them (or both, though unlikely) to make the jump to MLS as the league continues to expand.
LCFC just announced that they're building a stadium (required by USL rules); I'm pretty sure that the possibility of MLS expansion is at the back of people's minds, but I would suspect that Cincinnati will get the nod (unless there are multiple openings).
Even as a City fan, I would agree that's the likely case. The stadium, I believe, is still not quite a done deal, but is about 90% of the way there. The MLS also couldn't pass up the attendance numbers FC Cincinnati has had in USL. Their big question will be whether or not Louisville eats up market share for Cinci. This is the rare case that I would say they are not.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Supposedly, the guy who bought the Crew a few years ago did so because the cost of buying an existing team was way less than the cost of bidding for an expansion team. Despite the fact that the fanbase has increased regularly and the US men's national team regularly plays its home friendlies there, it seems that the owner's ulterior motive of wanting to own a team in Texas without for less seems to be coming true.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

2017 Man Booker prize goes to George Saunders for Lincoln in the Bardo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41585512
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am 2017 Man Booker prize goes to George Saunders for Lincoln in the Bardo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41585512
And it's already been a clue on J!...I remember being impressed that the contestant got it-

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ight=bardo
earendel

Post by earendel »

Playboy Magazine will feature a transgender Playmate in the November issue. She is a French model named Ines Rau.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

More for Sports J! if it ever got revived. Aaron Judge (OF) (#99) who plays for the Yankees is 6' 7" and could be 2017 AL Rookie of the Year. Jose Altuve (2B) plays for the Astros is 5' 6" and could be 2017 AL MVP.

Some way some how J! can get a clue out of these stars.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 pm More for Sports J! if it ever got revived. Aaron Judge (OF) (#99) who plays for the Yankees is 6' 7" and could be 2017 AL Rookie of the Year. Jose Altuve (2B) plays for the Astros is 5' 6" and could be 2017 AL MVP.

Judge's name alone ensures that he'll come up.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 pm More for Sports J! if it ever got revived. Aaron Judge (OF) (#99) who plays for the Yankees is 6' 7" and could be 2017 AL Rookie of the Year. Jose Altuve (2B) plays for the Astros is 5' 6" and could be 2017 AL MVP.

*cough cough*
Volante wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am Aaron Judge, Yankees, won the Home Run Derby. They won't ask about -that- but unless he does something silly like slide into a base thumb first, he's a shoe in for AL Rookie of the Year, MVP, AND he has a very TOMable name.
:D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

NASA names a space station resupply ship after Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, who died in January.

https://www.space.com/38503-astronaut-e ... -ship.html
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The Houston Astros become the first team in MLB history to win both the NL and AL pennants
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Woof wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 am The Houston Astros become the first team in MLB history to win both the NL and AL pennants
I bet that'll be a FJ clue at some point. Also, only the Astros and Brewers have switched leagues. Milwaukee won the AL pennant in '82, but a NL title seems...unlikely, in the near future.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Justin Timberlake will be the headline performer for the halftime show at Super Bowl LII in 2018 in Minneapolis

His previous times:
Super Bowl XXXV with NSYNC in 2001 in Tampa (Ravens vs. Giants)
Super Bowl XXXVIII with Janet Jackson in Houston (Panthers vs. Patriots)

He'll be the only 3-timer performer.

NBC's show to air after the Super Bowl: This is Us
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 am Justin Timberlake will be the headline performer for the halftime show at Super Bowl LII in 2018 in Minneapolis

His previous times:
Super Bowl XXXV with NSYNC in 2001 in Tampa (Ravens vs. Giants)
Super Bowl XXXVIII with Janet Jackson in Houston (Panthers vs. Patriots)

He'll be the only 3-timer performer.

NBC's show to air after the Super Bowl: This is Us
Well, three time named performer. It's possible someone was with Up With People at least three of their five appearances. (Less likely someone could pull that off with the Grambling State Marching Band)

Edit: I don't think 2001 was "*NSYNC with Justin Timberlake", so going to have to be even more creative with the caveat...
boyjenius

Post by boyjenius »

Volante wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

*cough cough*
Volante wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am Aaron Judge, Yankees, won the Home Run Derby. They won't ask about -that- but unless he does something silly like slide into a base thumb first, he's a shoe in for AL Rookie of the Year, MVP, AND he has a very TOMable name.
:D
First of all it's "shoo-in" not "shoe in", 2nd of all if you think Judge is a shoo-in for MVP, you haven't been watching, it will be a close race between him and the little guy, my guess is that David beats Goliath....deservedly so
Last edited by boyjenius on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Since my previous one went over so well I'll try another:

#6438, aired 2012-09-19 HIS 'DO $1000: In the rediscovered Leonardo work "Salvator Mundi", Jesus has the long, spiraling curls called these
[ringlets]

Up for auction at Christie’s November 15: Salvator Mundi which means “Savior of the World.”
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

boyjenius wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm
First of all it's "shoo-in" not "shoe in", 2nd of all if you think Judge is a shoo-in for MVP, you haven't been watching, it will be a close race between him and the little guy, my guess is the David beats Goliath....deservedly so
I actually don't think it'll even be that close. That post-ASB slump killed his chances for MVP.
Volante

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 pm
boyjenius wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm
First of all it's "shoo-in" not "shoe in", 2nd of all if you think Judge is a shoo-in for MVP, you haven't been watching, it will be a close race between him and the little guy, my guess is the David beats Goliath....deservedly so
I actually don't think it'll even be that close. That post-ASB slump killed his chances for MVP.
Luckily J! runs on pronunciation rules...

Still a lock for RotY, but I'd say striking out, what was it, 38 times in a row? counts as doing something silly.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 am John Grisham book June 2017: Camino Island

Amazon blurb: A gang of thieves stage a daring heist from a secure vault deep below Princeton University’s Firestone Library. Bruce Cable owns a popular bookstore in the sleepy resort town of Santa Rosa on Camino Island in Florida. He makes his real money, though, as a prominent dealer in rare books.
It's a shame the guy never writes anything.

John Grisham book October 2017: The Rooster Bar

From the Amazon blurb: Mark, Todd, and Zola came to law school to change the world, to make it a better place. But now, as third-year students, these close friends realize they have been duped. They all borrowed heavily to attend a third-tier, for-profit law school so mediocre that its graduates rarely pass the bar exam, let alone get good jobs. And when they learn that their school is one of a chain owned by a shady New York hedge-fund operator who also happens to own a bank specializing in student loans, the three know they have been caught up in The Great Law School Scam.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 am John Grisham book June 2017: Camino Island

Amazon blurb: A gang of thieves stage a daring heist from a secure vault deep below Princeton University’s Firestone Library. Bruce Cable owns a popular bookstore in the sleepy resort town of Santa Rosa on Camino Island in Florida. He makes his real money, though, as a prominent dealer in rare books.
It's a shame the guy never writes anything.

John Grisham book October 2017: The Rooster Bar

From the Amazon blurb: Mark, Todd, and Zola came to law school to change the world, to make it a better place. But now, as third-year students, these close friends realize they have been duped. They all borrowed heavily to attend a third-tier, for-profit law school so mediocre that its graduates rarely pass the bar exam, let alone get good jobs. And when they learn that their school is one of a chain owned by a shady New York hedge-fund operator who also happens to own a bank specializing in student loans, the three know they have been caught up in The Great Law School Scam.
Those both sound really good. Thanks for posting. I miss working at Barnes and Noble sometimes.