2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Pakistan's Supreme Court has disqualified the country's Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif, from office due to allegations of corruption. Following that ruling, Sharif resigned.

Sharif was Pakistan's 18th Prime Minister, and none of the 18 has completed a full term in office.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40750671


User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:29 pm

Although the official announcement won't be made until September, Paris has been chosen by the IOC to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, as part of a package deal in which Los Angeles will be awarded the 2028 Summer Olympics.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id ... -2024-site

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5377
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:03 pm

The Mooch (Anthony Scaramucci) lasted only a week as White House Communications Director.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Woof » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:30 pm

alietr wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:03 pm
The Mooch (Anthony Scaramucci) lasted only a week as White House Communications Director.
As I earlier said elsewhere, it appears that he actually did the fandango after all :mrgreen:

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:41 pm

Cubs give Bartman a 2016 World Series ring.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Sam Shepard, actor and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, has died at the age of 73. Shepard won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1979 for his play "Buried Child". He played Chuck Yeager in the 1983 film The Right Stuff. He also had a longtime relationship with actress Jessica Lange.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/thea ... -dead.html
Last edited by Blue Lion on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:29 pm
Although the official announcement won't be made until September, Paris has been chosen by the IOC to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, as part of a package deal in which Los Angeles will be awarded the 2028 Summer Olympics.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id ... -2024-site
Addendum to this: Paris previously hosted the Summer Games in 1900 and 1924. Chariots of Fire, which won the Oscar for Best Picture of 1981, took place during the '24 Games in that city.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Going back to April, Amherst College announces their first official mascot name, the Mammoths. (The college is phasing out use of Lord Jeffery Amherst (the Jeffs or Lord Jeffs), its previous, unofficial mascot.)

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Going back to April, Amherst College announces their first official mascot name, the Mammoths. (The college is phasing out use of Lord Jeffery Amherst (the Jeffs or Lord Jeffs), its previous, unofficial mascot.)
Maybe they can schedule a game against IUPU (Indiana U-Purdue U)--Fort Wayne. Their mascot is the Mastodons.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Going back to April, Amherst College announces their first official mascot name, the Mammoths. (The college is phasing out use of Lord Jeffery Amherst (the Jeffs or Lord Jeffs), its previous, unofficial mascot.)
Maybe they can schedule a game against IUPU (Indiana U-Purdue U)--Fort Wayne. Their mascot is the Mastodons.
Apparently, you haven't heard the news that IUPUI and IUPUFW are no longer going to be joint branch campuses of Indiana and Purdue, and the one in Indianapolis will become an Indiana branch and the one in Fort Wayne a Purdue branch.
I identify as a Jeopardy! fan, and use who/what pronouns.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by morbeedo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Barbara Cook, Star of Broadway and Cabaret, Dies at 89

In 1958, Cook won a Tony Award for playing Marian Paroo in The Music Man, which won 4 other Tonys including Best Musical (beating West Side Story)

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7132
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by econgator » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Glen Campbell dead at 81.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8518
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:15 pm

http://amp.tmz.com/2017/08/08/glen-campbell-dead

Country music legend Glenn Campbell dies at 81 from Alzheimer's Disease.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 am
Apparently, you haven't heard the news that IUPUI and IUPUFW are no longer going to be joint branch campuses of Indiana and Purdue, and the one in Indianapolis will become an Indiana branch and the one in Fort Wayne a Purdue branch.
Are they going to donate the leftover vowels to Pat Sajak?

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:34 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 am
Apparently, you haven't heard the news that IUPUI and IUPUFW are no longer going to be joint branch campuses of Indiana and Purdue, and the one in Indianapolis will become an Indiana branch and the one in Fort Wayne a Purdue branch.
Are they going to donate the leftover vowels to Pat Sajak?
I think Victoria Coren-Mitchell needs them more.
I identify as a Jeopardy! fan, and use who/what pronouns.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Queen Elizabeth II announced that Prince Charles, who is first in the line of succession, will be passed over and William and Kate will be the next King and Queen of England.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/royal-a ... soc_trk=fb

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by BobF » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Queen Elizabeth II announced that Prince Charles, who is first in the line of succession, will be passed over and William and Kate will be the next King and Queen of England.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/royal-a ... soc_trk=fb
I've been saying for years that I didn't think Charles would ever be king, but mostly because it seemed like his mom could possibly outlive him. I never foresaw something like this.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by boson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Queen Elizabeth II announced that Prince Charles, who is first in the line of succession, will be passed over and William and Kate will be the next King and Queen of England.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/royal-a ... soc_trk=fb
Do you have an official source? I wasn't able to find anything other than these dubious sites. BBC, CBC, etc. have nothing on this.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 pm

boson wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Queen Elizabeth II announced that Prince Charles, who is first in the line of succession, will be passed over and William and Kate will be the next King and Queen of England.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/royal-a ... soc_trk=fb
Do you have an official source? I wasn't able to find anything other than these dubious sites. BBC, CBC, etc. have nothing on this.
Yahoo is a dubious site?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MinnesotaMyron, StevenH, TenPoundHammer and 19 guests