2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by badgerfellow »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 pm University of North Carolina Tar Heels win the men's basketball title, 71-65 over Gonzaga (no heroics this time, so they may not ask about it).

Redemption for the Heels (and grats heelsrule!). I don't really care about either team, but kinda wanted Gonzaga to win. I feel like I just watched the 2011 Final Four all over again. Gonzaga! Oregon! Wow, South Carolina!...but actually who wins the title? The usual blue blood. It would be nice if the mid majors of the world ever cashed in, instead of forever being 'that team that lost to _____'.
Yes! This game reminded me of UConn-Butler as well. Oofta.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 pmUniversity of North Carolina Tar Heels win the men's basketball title, 71-65 over Gonzaga.

Redemption for the Heels (and grats heelsrule!)
And grats to me (literally lifelong UNC fan...as I said in another thread, I was named after there in honor of my parents dating while attending AND the earliest shirt I ever remember wearing as a toddler was a UNC one that said 'RAMbunctious') as well! :mrgreen: Very, VERY needless to say, feels incredibly good after last year. Neat coincidence: This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Heels' 1957/first ever NCAA win.

TAR...HEELS!!! TAR...HEELS!!!
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Matthew and Otto have been officially retired as names for hurricanes, to be replaced by Martin and Owen. BONUS: hurricane names are reused every 6 years; Martin and Owen will be used in 2022.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Insult comic Don Rickles has died. He was 90. Rickles honed his act in Las Vegas, and was an honorary member of the Rat Pack. His breakthrough came on The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson. He is also known for hosting the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast.

Many years ago, my parents saw Rickles perform in Vegas. They said that after the show, he treated the audience members he insulted to dinner.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Senate voted to use the 'nuclear option', changing Senate rules to remove the ability to filibuster Supreme Court nominees.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 pm The Senate voted to use the 'nuclear option', changing Senate rules to remove the ability to filibuster Supreme Court nominees.
All over a vote to replace a justice who was approved 98-0. How times have changed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Speaking of Damien Hirst...he is still out there being Damien Hirst with "Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable" opening soon at the Pallazo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/art/what-to- ... ectacular/
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/damie ... iew-918074
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If the Cubs could win the World Series then I guess this could happen as well.
Spoiler
Only took 74 tries to win a major.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alabama governor Robert Bentley will resign later today. He quits just as impeachment hearings began today to investigate his use of his office to cover up his affair with a married staff member who is 29 years his junior. He has agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor charges and will avoid jail.

Our new governor will be Kay Ivey, who will be Alabama's second female governor after Lurleen Wallace. Ivey previously served as state Treasurer, where she made a mess of the state's prepaid tuition plan. (luckily I had not invested in that).

Bentley's resignation means the head of all three branches of our government have been forced from office this term. The Speaker of the House was convicted of ethics violations last year. Chief Justice Roy Moore was suspended when he ordered county probate judges not to allow same sex couples to marry.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm Alabama governor Robert Bentley will resign later today. He quits just as impeachment hearings began today to investigate his use of his office to cover up his affair with a married staff member who is 29 years his junior. He has agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor charges and will avoid jail.

Our new governor will be Kay Ivey, who will be Alabama's second female governor after Lurleen Wallace. Ivey previously served as state Treasurer, where she made a mess of the state's prepaid tuition plan. (luckily I had not invested in that).

Bentley's resignation means the head of all three branches of our government have been forced from office this term. The Speaker of the House was convicted of ethics violations last year. Chief Justice Roy Moore was suspended when he ordered county probate judges not to allow same sex couples to marry.
If I"m not mistaken, neither female governor was elected in their own right either, correct? (Lurleen I know was George's wife, and took over when he left the governor's office (either evicted for being George Wallace or, because the universe is never fair, dying in office - I honestly don't know which.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante

Post by Volante »

2017 Pulitzers have been announced
http://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-year/2017

Peggy Noonan won for Commentary.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:34 pm 2017 Pulitzers have been announced

Nooooonan! Nooooonan!

I was hoping this would be Steve Sack's year. Ah, well.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:34 pm 2017 Pulitzers have been announced

Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad, this year's fiction winner, has already appeared on J!, last month.
Lynn Nottage's Sweat, the drama winner, is likely to.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm Alabama governor Robert Bentley will resign later today. He quits just as impeachment hearings began today to investigate his use of his office to cover up his affair with a married staff member who is 29 years his junior. He has agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor charges and will avoid jail.

If I"m not mistaken, neither female governor was elected in their own right either, correct? (Lurleen I know was George's wife, and took over when he left the governor's office (either evicted for being George Wallace or, because the universe is never fair, dying in office - I honestly don't know which.))
At the time, the governor of Alabama could not serve consecutive terms. George Wallace couldn't run, so his wife was the next-best thing. (She's the one who died in office, which spoiled Wallace's plans temporarily.)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

What I find most comical is the hypocrisy. In October of last year, Bentley noted he "could not" vote for Trump over the latter's sexual comments. The words were too much for him, but apparently, stealing (not "misusing", but stealing) taxpayer money to cover up one's sick adultery is perfectly fine.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 am
What I find most comical is the hypocrisy. In October of last year, Bentley noted he "could not" vote for Trump over the latter's sexual comments. The words were too much for him, but apparently, stealing (not "misusing", but stealing) taxpayer money to cover up one's sick adultery is perfectly fine.
(Whispers) "I don't think he really didn't vote for Trump."
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 am
Irrelevant. As a governor, he made a big spectacle out of how he could not possibly vote for Trump, and Trump should drop out, and how Trump had no chance of winning. All of which has a much larger influence on the electorate than whatever he did with his individual vote.

Anyways, are you defending his hypocrisy?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 am
9021amyers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 am
Irrelevant. As a governor, he made a big spectacle out of how he could not possibly vote for Trump, and Trump should drop out, and how Trump had no chance of winning. All of which has a much larger influence on the electorate than whatever he did with his individual vote.

Anyways, are you defending his hypocrisy?
I expect nothing less than hypocrisy from Republican politicians to the point where the only surprising thing about the Bentley scandal is that he isn't getting off scot-free.
Volante

Post by Volante »

While a little commentary is okay now and again, let's leave full fledged discussions out of this thread, please.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 am I expect nothing less than hypocrisy from Republican politicians to the point where the only surprising thing about the Bentley scandal is that he isn't getting off scot-free.
He is.

He plead guilty to two misdemeanors. One for a $50,000 personal loan he made to his campaign in November 2015 but did not report until this year. The other was for using $8,912 in campaign funds to pay legal fees for his advisor/girlfriend.

Neither is really a big deal in the grand scheme of things and neither would have forced him from office. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail, which was suspended and received a year's probation.

He waived his right to a security detail after leaving office. Under state law, former governors get a security detail for five years. (I have no idea if any of them actually exercise this right).

He waived his right to a state pension. A law was passed in 1977 to give governors a pension, though the law was declared unconstitutional in 1977.

He has to pay $100 ($50 a charge), plus court costs, to the Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Fund.

He has to pay $5,000 for not reporting the loan and $2,000 for converting the funds to the legal fees.

He has to reimburse his campaign fund the $8,912 in legal fees.

He has to surrender his $36,912 in campaign funds to the state.

He must perform 100 hours in community service at a medical facility. (He is a licensed physician).

He may never again seek or hold public office. He is 74 so that was unlikely to begin with.

So he writes the state a check for $16,012 plus court costs, does some physicals for poor people and he walks. He is rather wealthy (he only took a salary of $1) so this is no is deal financially.

All this for using the authority of his office to threaten people who tried to expose his affair. Good riddance to this jackass, he should be in prison.