2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu May 18, 2017 11:03 pm

"Untitled", a 1982 painting of a skull-shaped human head, by Jean-Michel Basquiat sold at auction for $110.5 million. This is the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by an American artist and for a work by a black artist. Only 10 other paintings have ever gone for $100 million or more. This is the 6th highest price ever paid.

Jeopardy's "Pavlovs" for Basquiat include "Haitian-American", "associate of Warhol", and "graffiti artist".

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2002
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by BobF » Fri May 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Anthony Weiner just pled guilty to sexting a 15 year old girl. Agrees not to appeal any sentence between 21 and 27 months.

Will he appeal an 18 month sentence claiming it's too short? And what kind of idiot trusts a 15 year old girl not to tell about something like that, especially if you are somewhat famous?

Edit: He also has to register as a sex offender.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Japan is considering an amendment to the Imperial Household Law that would include women in the line of succession to the Chrysanthemum Throne*, as the royal family is running low on male heirs.

The male-only rule of succession was introduced in 1947, when the postwar Japanese constitution downgraded the Emperor from a god to a symbol of national unity.

* Yes, this has come up.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8273
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by dhkendall » Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm
The male-only rule of succession was introduced in 1947, when the postwar Japanese constitution downgraded the Emperor from a god to a symbol of national unity.
Man, that's a hell of a demotion! I won't complain about a pay cut any more!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
Bartleby
Contributor
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bartleby » Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Did I miss something? Wasn't Law & Order canceled back in 2010?
I would prefer not to.

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am

Bartleby wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 am
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Did I miss something? Wasn't Law & Order canceled back in 2010?
you missed the part that this is SVU
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am

Philippa Charlotte "Pippa" Middleton wed millionaire financier James Matthews. Her dress was by British designer Giles Deacon. The service was in St.Mark's Church, Englefield. Her title (as far as I can tell it's after her father-in-dies) will be Lady Glen Affric or Lady Glenaffric. I get bored and confused by figuring out royalty stuff.

Prince Harry is dating Meghan Markle an American actress on the show Suits.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat May 20, 2017 11:12 am

Robert De Niro is playing fraudster Bernie Madoff in a HBO movie, The Wizard of Lies. Earlier this year in a TV miniseries Richard Dreyfuss played Bernie Madoff. Both actors have also won Oscars for Best Actor.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat May 20, 2017 12:31 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am
Bartleby wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 am
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Did I miss something? Wasn't Law & Order canceled back in 2010?
you missed the part that this is SVU
SVU is only up to season 19. This post is inaccurate.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8273
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by dhkendall » Sat May 20, 2017 1:28 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:31 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am
Bartleby wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 am
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Did I miss something? Wasn't Law & Order canceled back in 2010?
you missed the part that this is SVU
SVU is only up to season 19. This post is inaccurate.
He may be taking the entire SVU set of series together. In which case it's only misleading.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by jeff6286 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Law & Order: SVU. Next season will be its 19th.
This is the original post from Blue Lion. The number is correct for SVU, leaving it one season behind Gunsmoke and original Law and Order. The only other Law and Order on next season's schedule is called "Law and Order True Crime: the Menendez Murders". I don't think this is considered a continuation of the original series, but perhaps it's where the confusion came from.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Law & Order: SVU. Next season will be its 19th.
This is the original post from Blue Lion. The number is correct for SVU, leaving it one season behind Gunsmoke and original Law and Order. The only other Law and Order on next season's schedule is called "Law and Order True Crime: the Menendez Murders". I don't think this is considered a continuation of the original series, but perhaps it's where the confusion came from.
Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm
Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
My apologies. I've fixed the post upthread to remove the error.

According to Wikipedia, as of the end of the current season, the five longest-running scripted prime-time shows (by number of seasons, not number of episodes), are:
1. The Simpsons.
t2. Gunsmoke (#1 by number of episodes).
t2. Law & Order.
4. Law & Order: SVU.
5. Lassie.

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm
Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
My apologies. I've fixed the post upthread to remove the error.

According to Wikipedia, as of the end of the current season, the five longest-running scripted prime-time shows (by number of seasons, not number of episodes), are:
1. The Simpsons.
t2. Gunsmoke (#1 by number of episodes).
t2. Law & Order.
4. Law & Order: SVU.
5. Lassie.
Just as a point of completeness, The Wonderful World of Disney ran more seasons and was also scripted. I personally wouldn't want to count it in the same list, but it is a technicality.

I didn't go looking, but if The Simpsons didn't already pass Gunsmoke for episodes, it's getting extremely close and will definitely do it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by jeff6286 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Law & Order: SVU. Next season will be its 19th.
This is the original post from Blue Lion. The number is correct for SVU, leaving it one season behind Gunsmoke and original Law and Order. The only other Law and Order on next season's schedule is called "Law and Order True Crime: the Menendez Murders". I don't think this is considered a continuation of the original series, but perhaps it's where the confusion came from.
Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
When making a correction of a correction, seems like you should double check to make sure your information is accurate, no?

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Law & Order: SVU. Next season will be its 19th.
This is the original post from Blue Lion. The number is correct for SVU, leaving it one season behind Gunsmoke and original Law and Order. The only other Law and Order on next season's schedule is called "Law and Order True Crime: the Menendez Murders". I don't think this is considered a continuation of the original series, but perhaps it's where the confusion came from.
Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
When making a correction of a correction, seems like you should double check to make sure your information is accurate, no?
Touche.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Sat May 20, 2017 8:33 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 pm
I didn't go looking, but if The Simpsons didn't already pass Gunsmoke for episodes, it's getting extremely close and will definitely do it.
You're right. Gunsmoke 635 episodes, The Simpsons 618.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun May 21, 2017 4:13 pm

SNL on the season finale had a parody ad for a fidget spinner. It's one of those toy craze things having its moment in the sun and banned by many schools. S34 should have Alex do another in studio prop clue and the Teen Tournament would be the perfect time.

Yeah, I hear you. A what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNlmm_rR7mc

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Newly published book: Dragon Teeth, about fossil hunters in the 1870s, by Michael Crichton. It's his third posthumously-published book.

(Also, I didn't realize Crichton also wrote and directed the original Westworld movie, so there you go.)

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5101
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Tue May 23, 2017 10:28 am

Sir Roger "Not Sean Connery" Moore has died at 89
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40018422

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests