Monday, November 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, November 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
thenextofken wrote:Here's my embarrassing admission for the day: I totally bit on the "Remember" negbait on San Jacinto, and instead said Alamo. You'd think I'd know better being a Texan.
I was positive it would be neg bait, and was pleased with the contestants for not biting.

I almost bit myself, but I thought at $2000 with a "remember" in the clue that they were hoping Alamo would be neg bait, no way would it be at $2000 with the "remember".

The fact it did trap a Texan (you) was surprising though.
Same thoughts here, in fact I was about to say it, but the double whammy of 'Sam Houston' and 'victory' thankfully stopped that train. I did end up getting it about the time the contestant did. Unfortunately, I didn't buzz in so I couldn't count it as right on my sheet. :(
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

alietr wrote:Lemmings are apparently a rare species. I never would have guessed that this occurred as infrequently as it has. I would have figured there would be far more clues that the writers misjudged the difficulty, or were written poorly, or just required a guess. Quite surprising to me.
here's the article. quoting the relevant section:
Among the most interesting subsets of clues are those that all three contestants answer incorrectly. It happens rarely—just 309 times in the J-Archive, by my count, or less than once every 600 clues. Of the nearly 200,000 clue-answer combinations I was able to identify in J-Archive, there were only 17 triple-wrongs in the first row of the first round, home to the game's easiest clues (worth just $100 or $200, depending on the era the game was played in). A selection of 10 of these are presented in an interactive quiz below. I'll post the other seven in this article's comments section throughout the day.
So I misremembered a bit; 17 triple-wrongs in first row of J!, and 309 in total as of the writing of this article.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I want to make sure that it's clear my use of "lemmings" does not specifically refer to a triple miss. It refers to a multi-miss in which the first miss apparently precipitates the following one(s).

An example of the misquote lemming comes from Tom Morris's third game, in the last DJ clue. It asked for the "seasonal phrase" that precedes "...and the sunshine patriot..." in Thomas Paine's writing, and Tom rang in with "This is the autumn of our discontent" (doubly misquoting). Then one of the challengers tried to rebound by correcting "autumn" to "winter." (Alex threw her for a loop by telling Tom "That's Shakespeare" after she had rung in, so she already knew it was wrong when she said it.)

I know I'm not immune: when an opponent said "Who is Jack Nicklaus?" in a movie category in my third game while I was clamming, I would have rebounded with Jack Nicholson even if Alex hadn't briefly ruled him correct.

One could use the lemming effect to a sneaky advantage. Say you're on the last clue of DJ, with less than the clue's value between you and a lock game, and you don't know the correct response. In fact, you can only come up with one plausible response, which you can rule out. So you ring in and say that incorrect response, but intentionally mispronounce it, or change a word, or fail to phrase it as a question, or whatever, in hopes that whoever is in second place will correct your response for a neg and give you a lock on the fadeaway.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, that's just plain diabolical.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:OK, that's just plain diabolical.
I had similar thoughts, like giving a clearly wrong first name to a plausible (but wrong) last name. Unfortunately, readers here will now be expecting it, so I'll just have to hope I go against two non-boardies if(when). :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Volante wrote:
I had similar thoughts, like giving a clearly wrong first name to a plausible (but wrong) last name. Unfortunately, readers here will now be expecting it, so I'll just have to hope I go against two non-boardies if(when). :lol:
I think some (many?) players would know if they're close to being locked out near the end of the game (since they're spending lots of time looking at the scoreboard while the leader is answering/selecting clues), so probably wouldn't "go for the bait" on that. But, how about a scenario where you have a lead in an "almost-2/3s" or "almost-3/4s" game? I'd think there are few contestants that would notice that a miss would give you a 2/3s game, and wouldn't even realize what you'd done, afterwards.

mwahahaha
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

All's Fair in Love and Jeopardy. :mrgreen:
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

(formal moderator hat on)
Related to an exchange earlier in this thread: let's please try to limit talking about other people (whether members of this board or not) to their performance on "Jeopardy!" or other things they've done in the public sphere (appearing on other game shows, writing books, etc.). Things other people have said/done on other message boards, including the former Sony "Jeopardy!" board, don't necessarily count as "the public sphere," as far as I'm concerned.

Preferably, talk to other members of this board, whether publicly or by PM.

If you have any issues with a particular post, you can click the triangle with the exclamation point in it in order to make a report to the moderators. (You can also PM members of the moderating team with any issues.)

Also, remember that you can quietly choose to ignore another member's posts by going to your User Control Panel (link should be near the upper left of every page), then selecting the "Friends & Foes" tab, then the "Manage Foes" option.
(formal moderator hat off)