Monday, November 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6251, 2011-11-21

CONTESTANTS
Caroline Wilkins, an arts writing university teacher from Silver Spring, Maryland
Francis Lansangan, a military analyst from Virginia Beach, Virginia
Morgan Polikoff, a professor of education policy originally from Hinsdale, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Morgan got off to a great start on our last show. I wonder if the same will happen to Caroline or Francis today. We're about to find out. Welcome aboard, all three of you. Good luck. Let's get into the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? And here are your categories--first off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HERE'S THE PITCH (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the pitch, you ID the product.)
TAKING A PEAK AT THE STATE (5/5)
NEED A "LIFT"? (5/5)
COMIC STRIP DOGS (5/5)
PICK A CARD (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francis: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Morgan: 11 R, 1 W
Caroline: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Morgan: $3,000
Francis: $2,200
Caroline: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Caroline Wilkins is from Silver Spring, Maryland. And she is a competitive rower.

Caroline: Was.

Alex: Was?

Caroline: Was. I stopped when I got pregnant with my son, 'cause... it's unwieldy. [Laughs]

Alex: I-I know. Now we talking about single sculls? Doubles, or...

Caroline: No, I don't like to row on a single, 'cause, uh, you can flip really easily, and, uh...

Alex: Ah, I did not know that.

Caroline: In crew boats--I like--I like the team.

Alex: Yeah, and it's a lot more fun. When the race is over, you get to socialize together.

Caroline: You get to socialize together, or sometimes you just never want to see them.

Alex: Oh. All right.

Alex: Francis Lansangan from Virginia Beach, Virginia. You took our test a long time ago. In fact, you passed the test--was it two years ago?

Francis: Actually, it was 4 years ago in 2007, Alex.

Alex: 4 years ago?

Francis: I was--

Alex: How come you never wound up on the program until now?

Francis: Well, uh, back in 2008, I got a call from Jeopardy! Unfortunately, I was on deployment at the time in the Philippines.

Alex: Ah. And now you're out of the service?

Francis: Yes.

Alex: Okay. Well, it's good to have you here.

Francis: Thanks.

Alex: Morgan Polikoff is our champion--a professor of education policy. And he is not a rower. He's involved in another activity and once did it to extreme. We're talking about bowling, aren't we?

Morgan: Yeah, in, uh, high school, I organized a-a charity bowl-a-thon, just myself, and I ended up doing it three years in a row.

Alex: Just yourself?

Morgan: Just myself, and I collected donations around the neighborhood on, like a per-pin basis.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Morgan: I bowled 32 games in 4 hours, was my most.

Alex: Whoa. How much money did you raise?

Morgan: Uh, between the 3 years I raised about $4,000 for the American Cancer Society.

Alex: Good for you. All right. Let's get back into this one. Francis, you're trying to raise money for yourself.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Francis found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Morgan had $3,200, Francis had $5,200, and Caroline was at $2,400. Francis wagered $3,000.

PICK A CARD $1000: In a standard international deck, he's the only one-eyed king

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PICK A CARD $200: In early European decks what's now this lady was the upper viceroy
(Morgan: What's [*] of spades?)
(Caroline: What's [*] of hearts?)
(Francis: What's [*] of clubs?)
(Alex: All three of you gave us too much information. It's just [*]. Just [*]. Not a specific queen. Morgan, back to you.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Francis: $11,200
Morgan: $5,600
Caroline: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE U.S. AIR FORCE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TV THEME LYRICS (4/5)
NICKNAMES (5/5)
THE THEAT-"R" (4/5)
5 CONSONANTS IN A ROW (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TAKE THE DAY OFF (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francis: 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Morgan: 7 R, 0 W
Caroline: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Francis snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Morgan had $6,400, Francis had $14,800, and Caroline was at $4,400. Francis wagered $5,000.

THE U.S. AIR FORCE $800: This European operation that began in 1948 was the independent USAF's first major international challenge
(Francis: What's the Marshall Plan?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Caroline who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Morgan had $10,000, Francis had $18,200, and Caroline was at $9,200. Caroline wagered $5,000.

5 CONSONANTS IN A ROW $800: Sad songs may tug at these internal strands

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV THEME LYRICS $2000: "We don't get fooled again, don't get fooled again. No, no"
(Francis: What is CSI?)

THE THEAT-"R" $2000: It's the 3-letter name of Karel Capek's play from which we get the word "robot"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Francis: $20,200
Caroline: $14,200
Morgan: $11,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before Final Jeopardy!, Kelly Miyahara of the Clue Crew thanks the travel sponsor.)
Travel support for Jeopardy! was provided by Qantas Airways, with daily flights to Australia featuring outstanding service, premium food and wine, and the finest in luxury international travel aboard the A-380 aircraft. The Clue Crew's visit to Sydney, Australia, was hosted by tourism New South Wales and... one of the city's finest hotels, ideally positioned at the edge of the world's most stunning harbour and minutes from the famed opera house and all Sydney has to offer. Go to Qantas.com to plan your visit.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Francis: Wager $8,201 to cover Caroline.
Caroline: You ought to wager to cover Morgan, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,000 (to shut out Morgan) or less than $2,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Morgan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Francis.
Morgan: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $400, you need to bet either $2,601, and play for a win if Caroline tries to two-thirds Francis, or bet at least $8,601 to cover Francis's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $11,600 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
900 years old when he died, he spoke in OSV syntax, object-subject-verb

FINAL SCORES
Morgan: $11,600 + $2,600 = $14,200 (Who is Yoda?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Caroline: $14,200 - $13,000 = $1,200 (Who is Methusela?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Francis: $20,200 + $8,201 = $28,401 (Who is Yoda?) (New champion: $28,401)
(Alex: One of his most famous lines--"Your father he is.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Francis: $23,200, 28 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Morgan: $11,600, 18 R, 1 W
Caroline: $10,000, 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $44,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Francis: 29/60 = .483
Morgan: 19/58 = .328
Caroline: 10/59 = .169
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Australia.) Koalas have adapted their diet with an extra long gut to break down poisons in these leaves & sleep 20 hours a day due to a lack of nutrition in the leaves

AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Australia.) The eastern gray kangaroo can cover 25 feet in a single leap, & they're widespread in this, the country's smallest state

AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Australia.) It's the world's largest burrowing animal & can make a destructive tunnel complex 650 feet long, so farmers don't find it as cute as zoo-goers might

AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Australia.) The arrival of foxes in Western Australia in the 1920s was bad news for the quokka, a type of this kangaroo relative

AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Australia.) This egg-laying mammal has no teeth with which to eat; its taxonomic name is Tachyglossidae, or "fast tongue"

COMIC STRIP DOGS $600: Cartoonist Brad Anderson based the personality of this canine on a dog named Bruno

THE U.S. AIR FORCE $1600: The continental U.S.-based interceptor force is provided by this homefront body formed the same day as the USAF
(Francis: What is NORAD?)

THE U.S. AIR FORCE $2000: The A-10 Thunderbolt II is less glamorously nicknamed for this hideous animal

CORRECT RESPONSES
the king of diamonds
the queen
the Berlin Airlift
heartstrings
CSI: Miami
R.U.R.
Yoda
eucalyptus
Tasmania
a wombat
a wallaby
the echidna
Marmaduke
the Air National Guard
the warthog
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, November 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

The winning players since the Tournament of Champions have so far had some trouble duplicating their impressive debut efforts. I figured Morgan Polikoff to have a good chance of winning at least three games, but he was unable to get over the hump today. Francis Lansangan was very good, though, and I look forward to seeing him defend his title tomorrow.

This is the first time that we've had five consecutive one-day champions on Jeopardy! since May 26 through June 1, when Chloe Horning, Monica Iyer, Matt Larson, Ty Cone and Michael Philpy won single games in a direct line of succession.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

I enjoyed Francis's gameplay and enthusiasm and hope he goes a long way.

I can't be the only one who really wanted a contestant to answer FJ! in the style of the character.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

lisa0012 wrote:I can't be the only one who really wanted a contestant to answer FJ! in the style of the character.
At home, my response was
Spoiler
"Yoda, who is?"
...but that would be difficult on the show, since they have the contestants write the "Who is" portion before the clue is revealed, and it's usually written in the upper left portion of the screen.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:I enjoyed Francis's gameplay and enthusiasm and hope he goes a long way.

I can't be the only one who really wanted a contestant to answer FJ! in the style of the character.
No, no ... I responded in his fashion at home. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Should've been instaget, but I wasted 15 seconds on the '900 years old' bit, 5 seconds parsing what object-subject-verb meant, and another 5 seconds after that trying to make E.T. fit :roll: I need to pull my head out of my ass...
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Curse you, full DVR! Does anyone have the wording on the tarot question? Because it struck me as quite a bit off. Or I can always wait for the J! Archive to get the board up. :)
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Should've been instaget, but I wasted 15 seconds on the '900 years old' bit, 5 seconds parsing what object-subject-verb meant, and another 5 seconds after that trying to make E.T. fit :roll: I need to pull my head out of my ass...

I guessed HAL-9000 for FJ!
Last edited by MDCSWildcats86 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

The boards seemed a bit easy tonight.

I had to chuckle when I picked up the Lach Trash for the triple-negged "queen" clue. I also snagged the Lach Trash on "CSI: Miami." (I was surprised I ran the TV lyrics category.)

An instaget, FJ was. :mrgreen:
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

pinkfreud wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I can't be the only one who really wanted a contestant to answer FJ! in the style of the character.
At home, my response was
Spoiler
"Yoda, who is?"
...but that would be difficult on the show, since they have the contestants write the "Who is" portion before the clue is revealed, and it's usually written in the upper left portion of the screen.
Forgot that, I did. Too bad, that is.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a pretty easy board.

I was also impressed by Francis. I missed the Berlin Airlift DD like Francis did, and am kicking myself for it.

I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies but the correct response to FJ somehow came to me right away. I wish that happened more often.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Movie Characters
900 years old when he died, he spoke in OSV syntax, object-subject-verb.
Spoiler
Who is Yoda? Caroline said Methuselah.
Francis Lansangan: $20,200+$8,201=$28,401
Caroline Wilkins: $14,200-$13.000=$1,200
Morgan Polikoff: $11,600+$2,600=$14,200
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Did anyone else take off their imaginary sunglasses while giving the response "What is CSI Miami?"

I thought for just a second that Caroline might actually make a $9,000 wager to move into a tie for the lead on the final DD.
It wouldn't have mattered in the end, since she didn't get FJ, but it would have made for a lot heftier payday for Francis. Her wager of $5,000 only served to make sure that if she missed it she was out of the game, since even after getting it right she would have still needed Francis to miss FJ in order to have a chance to win the game. An $800 clue in a wordplay category? What better time for a big wager?
RJL wrote:Curse you, full DVR! Does anyone have the wording on the tarot question? Because it struck me as quite a bit off. Or I can always wait for the J! Archive to get the board up. :)
Ask and ye shall receive: (Or should that be "That which you ask, receive ye shall"?)
"The addition of a fifth suit to the medieval Italian deck produced this deck used for fortune telling."
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Did the show had sounds problem? On at least two of Francis's answers, I didn't hear the full answer : calamy jane instead of calamity, and on the CSI Miami, I only heard SI ...

Otherwise, I got the Berlin Airlift, and the "queen" card one.
FJ was an instaget ;-)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

laubla999 wrote:Did the show had sounds problem? On at least two of Francis's answers, I didn't hear the full answer : calamy jane instead of calamity, and on the CSI Miami, I only heard SI Miami...
I noticed a couple of strange events too. When Francis buzzed in for the CSI Miami clue, all I heard him say was something ending with "eye", and it did seem like there was an edit or some of the audio dropped out.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

laubla999 wrote:Did the show had sounds problem? On at least two of Francis's answers, I didn't hear the full answer : calamy jane instead of calamity, and on the CSI Miami, I only heard SI Miami...

Otherwise, I got the Berlin Airlift, and the "queen" card one.
FJ was an instaget ;-)
We noticed the same thing with the sound. Choppy editing? Instaget on FJ, and thought The Sopranos answer was undervalued. Although, they got it, so maybe not.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
mpolikoff

Post by mpolikoff »

There was all kinds of weirdness during taping due to a botched daily double and some other SNAFUs, so I'm wondering if that contributed? (PS: this is my first post here, so hi!)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Got Final, I did. But wondering why Morgan didn't make an effort to try for first (with an $8,601 wager if my math is right) and win if Francis misses. Perhaps the amount of the wager (and what it would bump him back to if he lost, though it turns out it didn't matter) scared him off?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mpolikoff

Post by mpolikoff »

dhkendall wrote:Got Final, I did. But wondering why Morgan didn't make an effort to try for first (with an $8,601 wager if my math is right) and win if Francis misses. Perhaps the amount of the wager (and what it would bump him back to if he lost, though it turns out it didn't matter) scared him off?
My thought process was as follows: if either 2nd place or 1st place gets it right, I will lose (since first place bets enough to cover second place, and second place presumably bets it all). The only exception is if they both get it wrong and 2nd place decides to bet nothing, so I want to at least bet enough to tie her in that case. That was my thinking, in any case - it probably doesn't make sense.