Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

trainman wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Would this type of question be acceptable for any other band?

This is the highest charting "Who" song that John Entwistle provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "U2" song that The Edge provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "Simon and Garfunkel" song that Garkfunkel provided vocals for?
This is the highest-charting Monkees song that Micky Dolenz provided vocals for.
If I'm not mistaken, I think there were more than one that reached Billboard #1.
Spoiler
I'm a Believer for sure, then Pleasant Valley Sunday. Last Train to Clarksville may have hit #1 but I'm not positive.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here are the pages about the Beatles in The Billboard Top 40 Hits
Spoiler

Now goatman has some homework. :)

The Monkees had 3 songs go to No. 1
Spoiler
"Last Train to Clarksville"
"I'm a Believer"
"Daydream Believer"

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" was 2 weeks at No. 3
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was relatively confident in "Yellow Submarine" because I was pretty certain no song from Sgt. Pepper's (i.e. "With A Little Help...") was released as a single.
OSXpert wrote:Would this type of question be acceptable for any other band?

This is the highest charting "Who" song that John Entwistle provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "U2" song that The Edge provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "Simon and Garfunkel" song that Garkfunkel provided vocals for?
Probably not because I don't think The Ox sang on any Who singles. Likewise for The Edge. And Garfunkel sang on every Simon and Garfunkel song, didn't he?

Special credit to Entwistle, though, for both "Boris The Spider" and "My Wife." Both great songs.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:Colby Taylor is the third player in the Archive with that first name. All three are J! champs. Parents to be: Keep that in mind when naming children.
And for baby girls, Liza works equally well. :)

(Derek and Jane, on the other hand, are a combined 0-21...)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I personally think the Beatles were and are overrated (there, I said it), but I still agree fully with this.
Good lord, man, are you trying to get yourself banned?
Oh, just ban him. He likes hair metal. Yeesh.

And way to play for second. Mission accomplished.

Thought of Little Help from Friends, but Yellow Submarine pushed it out in the first few seconds. I did not get testimonial. Kind of a rough DJ, I thought.

Also, did it seem like Blair was pondering what could have been during the end credits?
Last edited by bomtr on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Colby Taylor is the third player in the Archive with that first name. All three are J! champs. Parents to be: Keep that in mind when naming children.

Anyone who wins a tournament semifinal is a J! champ in my book. ;) http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... ight=derek
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote:I got FJ, but I'm a pretty big Beatles fan (I also considered "Back in the USSR" and "Octopus's Garden.")
Wait, where does Ringo sing in "Back in the USSR?" In fact I don't think he contributed to that track at all (not even on drums). Maybe that's what made you think of Ringo for that song?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:

Anyone who wins a tournament semifinal is a J! champ in my book. ;) http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... ight=derek
Oops! I was only looking at regular-play Dereks and Janes, so I omitted Mses. Curtin and Kaczmarek as well. Let's change that to: (Allen and Jeanne, on the other hand, are a combined 0-18...)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Category 13 wrote:
Kenny wrote: Never considered "Yellow Submarine" because I thought it was an album cut, back when the Fab Four rarely released singles from albums. Turns out, it was included on Rubber Soul, but also released as a B-side of "Eleanor Rigby."

Revolver.
And Capitol Records pimped out whatever album tracks they felt would sell as singles, whether the Beatles had a say in it or not.
Here is partial list of Beatles hit songs that were released only on albums, not also as singles, while they were on Capitol:

Michelle
Norwegian Wood
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
When I'm Sixty Four
With A Little Help From My Friends
Good Day Sunshine
Got To Get You Into My Life
Taxman
Fool On The Hill
Magical Mystery Tour

So no, Capitol did not "pimp out" whatever Beatles songs they felt would sell as singles, regardless of what the band wanted. I'm not sure where you came up with that comment. In fact, Brian Epstein, along with John and Paul, guarded the Beatles' catalog closely.
davey

Post by davey »

Another FJ where I needed extra time. I thought of Octopus's Garden right away and after maybe :15 Yellow Submarine came to mind. It took maybe another :10 to be sure it was Ringo's song, so then if I'd had the time I would have changed, just because it's more well-known. Though maybe if I'd thought of WALHFMF, I would have wanted that...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rocky Raccoon...cause if I'm going to get it wrong, I might as well REALLY get it wrong. (And I was pretty sure 'Revolution Nine' wasn't titled 'Number Nine') Rolling a d200 would've given me better odds...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but "roll in the hay" in "roll". That seemed by far the most generational clue.

Surprisingly, I ran the Under the Sea category by somehow knowing "Barnacle Boy". Also ran the Horoscope category.

Didn't recognize either name in Role Call for $400. Or $1,200. Or $1,600. Or $2,000.

Any way that I can remember that Saturn is the one with rings? I always merge Saturn-Uranus-Neptune in my head and can't separate them.

"Spacewalker" is a word? I thought that was tricky for $400. That whole category was completely foreign to me.

This FJ! clue could've used a TOM or ten. No way in hell are you getting it unless you know the Beatles discography forward and backward.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

At least she covered third this time...?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:This FJ! clue could've used a TOM or ten. No way in hell are you getting it unless you know the Beatles discography forward and backward.
I guess we'll have to wait for the poll, but I doubt this FJ will prove to be that difficult. Ringo didn't sing that many memorable Beatles songs and his voice is pretty distinctive.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:This FJ! clue could've used a TOM or ten. No way in hell are you getting it unless you know the Beatles discography forward and backward.
I guess we'll have to wait for the poll, but I doubt this FJ will prove to be that difficult. Ringo didn't sing that many memorable Beatles songs and his voice is pretty distinctive.
But the clue didn't ask for "memorable Beatles songs." It asked for singles that went to #2 on U.S. Billboard chart. That's far more arcane. Agree with TPH that this FJ was YEKIOYD.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kenny wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
But the clue didn't ask for "memorable Beatles songs." It asked for singles that went to #2 on U.S. Billboard chart. That's far more arcane. Agree with TPH that this FJ was YEKIOYD.
And you don't think these are typically one and the same? I guess in the Beatles case many album tracks are also very recognizable, but not many of the them feature Ringo on vocals.

I guess we'll see. I am a Beatles fan so it's hard for me to know how difficult this would be for someone who is not. It's clear you needed a decent level of Beatles knowledge to get this without it being a shot in the dark.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dinghammer wrote:Instaget FJ, then I talked myself out of it. "Wasn't it on that 1 album? That would mean Ringo didn't sing it... Guess it must be Octopus's Garden."
1 contains all their British and American #1s. The inclusion of "Yellow Submarine" on that album gave me pause too, but I remembered that fact. Also, luckily for me, it was unquestionable in my mind that Ringo sang lead on that track.
a1srvng wrote:Face it , man. It's a chick thing.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3767
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3016
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=567
Not exhaustively researched, these are just off the top of my head. Edit: two of these are not underwagers from second place; I don't know if you were specifically referring to that.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

FJ was brutal, I had no idea. At least I enjoyed picking up the LT of Barnacle Boy in the J! round. Never knew about the Baden-Baden Festspielhaus, I'd always associated the name with Bayreuth. That opera house category was the first time we've had an opera-related category since this game in October, I believe: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5442

Good job to Colby, who deserved that win, even if he did luck out in Final. I expect we'll see him win again tomorrow.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Anyone have an idea (paging cheezguyty...) of the longest correct FJ! response of the last few seasons? It seems like some responses (A Connecticut Yankee... the other night, "With A Little Help..." tonight, etc.) can be eliminated on the basis that TPTB doesn't expect a contestant to write that much with a light pen in 30 seconds.
Sprinkles are for winners.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

I can't even name all the Beatles in 30 seconds, so for me, this FJ was a goner from the start. At least I would've known when the category popped up to bet $0, had I been on this episode. That said, when I saw Blair's wager: :?: :shock: :? . Especially when she looked so happy before they revealed her answer! I thought she had bet every last dollar.

Sad that none of the contestants remembered Mermaid-Man & Barnacle-Boy.