Friday, January 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Vowela wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I got FJ, but I'm not sure it was all that easy unless you're pretty solid in history. I was definitely relieved when Alex said "close" after the Hungary response.
I'm actually starting to wonder if this was an FJ! where a little knowledge made it easy, but a lot of knowledge made it more difficult. Since Empire + 1938 seemed so obvious, I'm wondering if it's a case where knowing more made this one tougher.
Hungary - my response - was a bad response because Hungary was clearly under the thumb of the Soviet Union in 1955. That's why they had an uprising the next year. Having that knowledge doesn't make it more difficult.
I think you're right in the first place. Empire + 1938 should have been obvious. And that's why I'll be using :oops: in the poll.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

rpg wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:It's worth filing away for future reference that Turkey will never be the correct response in the category European Countries since it isn't entirely in Europe.
Is that necessarily true? I consider it to be both a European and an Asian country, and I thought this was the general consensus. Same with Russia.
You're right, but that's why TPTB won't do it. They don't want to open themselves up to a protest by a losing contestant. Had Turkey been the correct response, the category would have been something like Geography or On The Map.

Additionally, "European Countries" almost always means Continental Europe (plus Iceland and Malta). I can't remember seeing a "European" FJ! where the correct response was the UK or Ireland.
Sprinkles are for winners.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Anyone else wonder about the potential acceptability of Eli''s Macedonia response? There most certainly was a Macedonian Empire under Alexander the Great. Macedonia was not a country between 1938 and 1955. Of course neither of those was an endpoint, as the current nation of Macedonia wasn't independent until the 1990s, but technically I feel Macedonia is accurately described by every part of the clue. If I were Eli I would definitely be making my case for an extra $6346.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:Anyone else wonder about the potential acceptability of Eli''s Macedonia response? There most certainly was a Macedonian Empire under Alexander the Great. Macedonia was not a country between 1938 and 1955. Of course neither of those was an endpoint, as the current nation of Macedonia wasn't independent until the 1990s, but technically I feel Macedonia is accurately described by every part of the clue. If I were Eli I would definitely be making my case for an extra $6346.
Macedonia wasn't at the "center" of the Macedonian Empire. It was on the western edge. However, you could say the same of Austria and the Austro-Hungarian empire. So "center" has to be taken politically rather than geographically. I think you're right. Macedonia is technically correct.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought of Austria but really wasn't sure if Germany annexed them completely or just sent in troops to run the show. So I stupidly wrote down the Czech Republic to finish off an 0/5 week. :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Anyone else wonder about the potential acceptability of Eli''s Macedonia response? There most certainly was a Macedonian Empire under Alexander the Great. Macedonia was not a country between 1938 and 1955. Of course neither of those was an endpoint, as the current nation of Macedonia wasn't independent until the 1990s, but technically I feel Macedonia is accurately described by every part of the clue. If I were Eli I would definitely be making my case for an extra $6346.
Macedonia wasn't at the "center" of the Macedonian Empire. It was on the western edge. However, you could say the same of Austria and the Austro-Hungarian empire. So "center" has to be taken politically rather than geographically. I think you're right. Macedonia is technically correct.
I think J! would say that those years pin the response, they can't be random dates in the (non-)history of a country.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I think J! would say that those years pin the response, they can't be random dates in the (non-)history of a country.
It's definitely borderline, bordering on the edge of Cliff Clavin territory, but my suspicion is they've probably allowed an alternate response before in a similar scenario where they put dates (or something similar) in to lead you to the correct response, but they failed to exclude an alternate one. Of course I don't have an example or anything. The best way I can think of to explain it is that giving the dates isn't a positive clue, it's a negative clue, meaning it rules out every country that WAS independent at some point between those dates, but does it really rule out a country that was also not independent during those dates, that happens to now be a European country and fits the other part of the clue with a former empire?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
It's definitely borderline, bordering on the edge of Cliff Clavin territory, but my suspicion is they've probably allowed an alternate response before in a similar scenario where they put dates (or something similar) in to lead you to the correct response, but they failed to exclude an alternate one. Of course I don't have an example or anything. The best way I can think of to explain it is that giving the dates isn't a positive clue, it's a negative clue, meaning it rules out every country that WAS independent at some point between those dates, but does it really rule out a country that was also not independent during those dates, that happens to now be a European country and fits the other part of the clue with a former empire?
One possible hitch is today's Macedonia shares little geographic overlap with ancient Macedon (the capital, Pella, being solidly in northern Greece today), so you'd be hard pressed to say modern Macedonia was the political center of the Macedonian Empire.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

jeff6286 wrote:
davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
That is a huge stretch in logic, like to the breaking point. I can't imagine any circumstance where they would accept Macedonia.

But hey, there's nothing from stopping a contestant from making an argument.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

0/5 in Composers, but this is a category I think I can do better at with a little more study. But ugh.

Did fine in TV, but wish they'd stop asking about the Bachelor/-ette. Why do we care? Never watchedThe Strain but I've seen enough ads around town to get there for $2000. Eli's struggle to get the words out on that one was curious - wonder if he was going to say something else and then tried to correct himself? We'll never know.

Brooklyn was fair game IMO. The film was nominated for Best Picture and best leading actress -Saoirse Ronan at the most recent Oscars. I'd love to see a contestant neg on Hidden Fences in the coming months :lol:

I like my champagne dry not sweet, so no way I was coming up with doux for $2000. Saccharine was a surprise miss, but I didn't realize there were 2 different spellings.

Got Austria without really knowing anything about the events of 1938.

FWIW, Copenhagen is pronounced with a long A, like The Hague, not like Haagen Dazs.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote:
You never watched The Sound of Music??
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Elijah Baley wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Never sat down and watched it from beginning to end, no.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote:FWIW, Copenhagen is pronounced with a long A, like The Hague, not like Haagen Dazs.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Never sat down and watched it from beginning to end, no.
It used to be shown every year at Thanksgiving on NBC, I think.

But you should check it out sometime.