TD 143: Oh I'll Play Your Game, You Rogue!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: TD 143: Oh I'll Play Your Game, You Rogue!

Post by Volante »

Paucle wrote:I really had no idea Hirohito was still around in 1980! I might've flipped a coin if I had. Enh, probably would've landed on my answer anyway.
And I was thinking, "Well, we had Akihito as an FJ recently, and knowing the crowd here likely knew Hirohito died in the 80s..."
That logic and my hoping the Four Horsemen clue would've been more dispersed (and people NOT taking the Rockne bait :roll: ) moved me nicely away from the lead :lol:

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

yay for apparently obscure Japanese PMs! (I got lucky with that one. At one point when he was in office, I was at my brothers and he was reading an article about him, and kept calling him Tear-ass-o, and saying that with a name like that he should be a racecar driver. Terribly inappropriate, but very memorable. :oops: )

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Turd Ferguson wrote:I actually had seen 17 Giamatti films, a number that is several times as high as I would have guessed (not actually remembering him in more than 5 or 6). Making it clear that “Sideways” was a correct answer was a bone thrown to anyone unable to come up with something
And thanks for allowing Sideways, as I have seen exactly 1 Giamatti film (The Truman Show, not that I remember him being in it) and was guessing you weren't going to allow the John Adams mini-series to fly. :)

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I actually had seen 17 Giamatti films, a number that is several times as high as I would have guessed (not actually remembering him in more than 5 or 6). Making it clear that “Sideways” was a correct answer was a bone thrown to anyone unable to come up with something
And thanks for allowing Sideways, as I have seen exactly 1 Giamatti film (The Truman Show, not that I remember him being in it) and was guessing you weren't going to allow the John Adams mini-series to fly. :)
He worked in the control booth with Ed Harris. "He's going to drown and he doesn't even care."

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

13. CATCH THESE MEN

Alex Trebek: “Catch These Men”… Every answer is a person on the FBI’s Most Wanted List, so let’s just forget this category. I’m pretty sure that would not turn out well
Sean Connery: I turned out your mother last night!
Alex Trebek: I’m ignoring you.
[…]
Alex Trebek: Sean Connery, would you pick a category
Sean Connery: I’ll take Catch The Semen for 800
Alex Trebek: It’s not catch the semen
Sean Connery: Is that what the moustache is for, Trebek?

Name a person currently on the list, or a person who was added to and removed from the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted Fugitives List since Jan. 1, 2005

There is a scene in “Hannibal” (shot before 9/11) where the characters are looking at Hannibal Lecter’s entry on the Most Wanted List… The sheep's entry can be seen in this scene. MarkBarrett's drop moves him back into the lead, but a doubleton from mam418 keeps her right on his heels.

Osama Bin Laden (8)
ayeembored
mitchparov
WRV
econgator
dhkendall
barandall
amorris525
Hugo

Whitey Bulger (4)
Peggles
goforthetie
billy_pilgrim
Bamaman

Warren Jeffs (2)
Volante
mam418

DROP
MarkBarrett
mennoknight
Paucle
debramc

Incorrect Answers
al-Zawahiri - teapot37
Jackson - Gamawire
Rudolph - Woppy T
Zarqawi - cheezguyty
Gotti - opusthepenguin

Unused Answers
Many - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Ten_Mo ... _Fugitives http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Ten_Mo ... ves,_2000s

STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 13
MarkBarrett - 28
mam418 - 29
Paucle - 31
mennoknight - 32
Peggles - 33
Volante - 37
ayeembored - 39
goforthetie - 42
Bamaman - 42
econgator - 44
Woppy T - 45
teapot37 - 51
HugoZ - 53
billy_pilgrim - 53
opusthepenguin - 56
cheezguyty - 56
Gamawire - 58
WRV - 63
dhkendall - 65
debramc - 65
barandall - 74
amorris525 - 75
mitchparov - 77

mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

When I was putting my answers together, I knew they were bad, but I didn't realize they were going to be this bad. WOW.

WRV
Always Lies

Post by WRV »

I did slightly better than I thought I was going to ("slightly" being the key word here).
"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." -Jean-Paul Sartre

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

While I was putting my list together, I had already dropped the Japan question, then I hit this one and all I had was Osama. So, I had to hope Akihito was slightly less well known than Osama and switched my drop.
And of course, "a difference which makes no difference..."

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

14. CELEBRITY JEOPARDY!
Name or describe any of these "alternate categories".

It seems that many are quite familiar with the skits and/or guessing what “Sean Connery” might have said. At my taping, one of the categories during rehearsal was “mixed up phrases”. When “The Pen Is Mightier than the Sword” came up (while I was in the audience), I couldn’t stop myself from laughing. I didn’t notice anyone else reacting to the response (I was still in “scouting” mode so was paying attention), so I wasn’t sure what that meant.

I decided to be fairly “lenient” on the responses here. Getting “most” of Connery’s category mangling (or the “gist” of it) - e.g. giving just “Whores’ Men” – seemed good enough to me.

I knew that “JAPAN-U.S. RELATIONS” was a category on this episode - http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1071 – but didn’t realize that other categories that day included “FRUIT” (A Connery-to-Trebek favorite), “C”OUNTRIES, “DOUBLE MEANINGS”, and “FIVE THE “ARD” WAY”. Perhaps I’m reading too much into those category names, or maybe it was just the writers having fun…

A few entrants didn’t notice the question asked for a specific Think Different answer here, instead just listing them as for the bonus question. In those cases, I just took the first one given as the TD response. There wasn’t a big sheep here, so I don’t think it affected much:

"Ape Tit" (5)
mennoknight
mitchparov
Pacule
WRV
econgator

"Swords" (5)
Peggles
dhkendall
goforthetie
teapot37
debramc

"The Rapists" (4)
MarkBarrett
ayeembored
amorris525
opusthepenguin

"The Penis Mightier" (3)
mam418
billy_pilgrim
Bamaman

"Anal bum Cover" (1)
barandall

"I have a chard onnay" (1)
Volante

"Japan US relations" (1)
HugoZ

"Famous Titties" (1)
Woppy T

DROP
Gamawire
cheezguyty

Things are still very close before applying the "bonuses"... stay tuned for Final Results

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Places 12-23:

I don't imagine anyone "likes" to finish in the bottom half of any competition, but somebody has to. A few entrants did note that they knew they had little chance of winning with their given responses, but wanted to enter anyways. I definitely appreciate that kind of entry, as more people entering (generally) means sheepier sheeps, and more rewarding singletons, and more fun all around. Thanks, everyone, for entering.

12. HugoZ - 49 (incl. -5 naming bonus)
13. cheezguyty - 51 (incl. -5 bonus for only dropping Q14)
14. Gamawire - 53 (incl. -5 bonus for only dropping Q14)
15. billy_pilgrim - 53 (incl. -3 naming bonus)
16. dhkendall - 55 (incl. -10 no-drop bonus, and -5 naming bonus)
17. teapot37 - 56
18. opusthepenguin - 60
19. WRV - 63 (incl. -5 naming bonus)
20. debramc - 65 (incl. -5 naming bonus)
21. barandall - 70 (incl. -5 naming bonus)
22. mitchparov - 77 (incl. -5 naming bonus)
23. amorris – 79

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Places 6-11:

Some strong entries in this group, with the #6-8 finishers winding up just barely out of the top 5

6. Paucle – 33 (incl. -3 naming bonus), no wrong answers
7. mennoknight – 34 (incl. -3 naming bonus), no wrong answers
8. Bamaman – 35, no drop used
9. Woppy T – 41 (incl. -5 naming bonus),
10. ayeembored – 43, no wrong answers
11. econgator – 44 (incl. -5 naming bonus), no wrong answers

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Congrats to the winners, and thanks everyone for playing, and for tolerating my "inappropriateness".

Fifth Place, at 33 points (tie broken by being entrant #2), with one wrong answer and a minus-5 bonus for category-naming… Volante!

Fourth Place, as 32 points, with one incorrect answer, and both the 10-point bonus for not using the drop, and the 5-point bonus for category-naming… goforthetie!

Third Place, at 30 points, with no wrong answers and a minus-2 bonus for category-naming… MarkBarrett!

Second Place, at 26 points, with no wrong answers, no drop used (10-point bonus) and a minus-2 bonus for category-naming… Peggles!

And… running away with the competition at 17 points, with no wrong answers, no drop used (10-point bonus), and only one sheep… mam418!

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

You mean I missed the top five because of my later entry? THAT'S the tie-breaker? That's just crazy talk! Whose stupid idea was that???

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Turd Ferguson wrote: And… running away with the competition at 17 points, with no wrong answers, no drop used (10-point bonus), and only one sheep… mam418!
Holy cow! I'd like to thank the acade... oh, wait, wrong awards ceremony. Well, I'd like to thank my brother for once upon a time making inappropriate jokes about a Japanese PM. And my college roommate for being both a Beatles fan, and an English major. (questions 3 & 8).

And thank you Turd... er, Mr. Ferguson... what a great quiz! :P (I may have a dirty mind, but I dearly love the Celebrity Jeopardy skits.)

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

BAAAAA! -oh wait that's the sound Trebek's mother made last night... Very fun quiz, TF. Thanks for doing it and gratz to the winners.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:A few entrants didn’t notice the question asked for a specific Think Different answer here, instead just listing them as for the bonus question. In those cases, I just took the first one given as the TD response. There wasn’t a big sheep here, so I don’t think it affected much:
Oh, I noticed - when I was with your mother, Ferguson!

Actually, I remembered after I submitted that it was a bonus, and that #14 wanted a specific one as an answer. I figured since I didn't get a letter afterwards reminding me of that, and figuring I wouldn't be counted as wrong, I wanted to see how it played out for me.

Glad that I used my bonii to their fullest, but I wish I was more unique with my -5, didn't do a lot of good ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I enjoyed the strategy of drop or not to drop with the big bonus. I considered Osama Bin Laden for the FBI one to avoid the drop, but the 2005 & on or not on limitations had me afraid to guess him. I could have had 9 there by joining the crowd and lost 10 for the bonus to gain a point in the standings. Congrats to the winners and thanks for a fun and humorous game.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

dhkendall wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:A few entrants didn’t notice the question asked for a specific Think Different answer here, instead just listing them as for the bonus question. In those cases, I just took the first one given as the TD response. There wasn’t a big sheep here, so I don’t think it affected much:
, but I wish I was more unique with my -5,

Oh, no; you can't get away with more unique, not here. Stop it.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Turd Ferguson wrote: A few entrants didn’t notice the question asked for a specific Think Different answer here, instead just listing them as for the bonus question. In those cases, I just took the first one given as the TD response. There wasn’t a big sheep here, so I don’t think it affected much:
It probably biased results in favor of earlier categories a little, if some of the entrants went down the list in order.

Thanks for the game, TF, and congrats to the three podiumites! Still cursing my Ray Romano/Tim Allen coin...

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
, but I wish I was more unique with my -5,

Oh, no; you can't get away with more unique, not here. Stop it.
How do you catch a unique animal? You neek up on it!
How do you catch a tame animal? The tame way!
How do you irritate a boardie?
Spoiler
Use the phrase "more unique". Works every time. 8-)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012