Thursday, January 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7449, 2017-01-19

CONTESTANTS
Neil Uspal, a pediatric emergency medicine physician from Seattle, Washington
Rachel Bauman, a graduate student from Bethesda, Maryland
John Avila, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia (whose 3-day cash winnings total $40,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. It's been an up-and-down kind of week, hasn't it? One day a big win, next day a small win. But John has won 3 in a row. He's trying to make it 4 against Rachel and Neil. Let's see how successful he is. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round comes first. One Daily Double in one of these categories awaits you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT DOESN'T GROW ON TREES (4/5)
ADJECTIVAL DESCRIPTION (4/5)
BODY WORKS (5/5)
SONG OF "MYSELF" (5/5)
THE NEW TESTAMENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STRAIGHT OUTTA... (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Neil: 10 R, 1 W
Rachel: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. John had $400, Rachel had $200, and Neil had nothing in the bank. John wagered $1,000.

THE NEW TESTAMENT $600: He told his fellow disciples, "Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails...I will not believe" in the resurrection

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $4,000
Neil: $2,800
Rachel: $2,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Neil Uspal from Seattle, Washington. Pediatric emergency medicine physician. You were--if I noticed correctly--you kind of licking your lips when that Body Works category came up a few moments ago.

Neil: True.

Alex: Made you feel good. Now tell me about something that made you feel bad. Has to do with traveling down South, Central America?

Neil: Correct. We were in Costa Rica. I was actually learning medical Spanish. And we were traveling between towns. And somehow I drove the rental car, and the car--I must have missed a turn or something, because our road gradually became a farm road then gradually became a ditch. And eventually, I left the--the rental car was hovering over the ditch and we had to all abandon ship, walk 2 miles in the middle of the night, get back to the nearest town. Had to go get the car the next day.

Alex: Next day.

Neil: Next day.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Rachel Bauman, graduate student from Bethesda, Maryland. Hit on by an impersonator while you were visiting Moscow?

Rachel: Yes. A group of my Russian and American friends were in Moscow, and we encountered 3 impersonators of Lenin, Stalin and Putin. Each of them were charging a certain price for a picture with them individually. So I just said, "I'll take Lenin, that's fine." But Stalin came up around me, put his arm around me, and started whispering in my ear in Russian and sort of petting my hair. We thought he was going to charge extra money, but he said, "No, no, no. It's free."

[Laughter]

Alex: It's a little-known fact in Russian history that Stalin really had an eye for the young ladies.

Alex: John Avila, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia. Like so many of our champions on Jeopardy!, a collector of things. Special things, for you when you were younger.

John: Yes, I, uh, when I was younger, I collected Major League Baseball ice cream helmets, the kind that you either get at the stadium or at an ice cream store. I collected--I managed to collect 29 of them, but for some reason I could never get the San Francisco Giants. We went to all different kinds of ice cream shops. I begged my parents to take us out to San Francisco just so I could eat the ice cream.

Alex: That was a smooth move.

John: Unfortunately, we never made it, but I did finally complete the collection. Had to cheat a little bit, but I found one on eBay.

Alex: Okay. Hey, if you can't go to the stadium, go to eBay.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ADJECTIVAL DESCRIPTION $1000: Ambiguous, or the adjective regarding
(the 3 dots above)

IT DOESN'T GROW ON TREES $1000: The name of this type of cement comes from an English isle, not a Pacific Northwest city

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $6,000
Rachel: $5,400
Neil: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT GROWS ON TREES (4/5)
AUTHORS' OTHER JOBS (5/5)
IF THEY MARRIED (2/5)
ON THE LAOS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SILENT "O" (4/5)
A DATE FOR THE INAUGURAL BALL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Neil: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Rachel: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
John: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. John had $7,200, Rachel had $6,600, and Neil was at $4,400. Rachel wagered $2,000.

ON THE LAOS $1200: Most of the navigable waterways of Laos are along this river
(Rachel: What is the Yellow River?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Neil who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. John had $7,200, Rachel had $8,200, and Neil was at $14,000. Neil wagered $2,000.

A DATE FOR THE INAUGURAL BALL $1600: James Madison held the first official inaugural ball in this year; 3 years later came war with Great Britain

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IF THEY MARRIED $800: If Swedish actress Ekberg married the German author of "Death in Venice", she might still be lonely & say...

IF THEY MARRIED $1200: The union of 2 Smiths, the Colts lineman & the "On Beauty" novelist, would get this Yiddish pair of grandparents

IF THEY MARRIED $2000: NPR's Melissa weds "Bridget Jones" co-star Hugh & her 2-part last name is this chunk of money given by Uncle Sam

SILENT "O" $2000: A passage in Proverbs states, "Where there is no vision", they "perish"

IT GROWS ON TREES $2000: If you watch Food Network, you may recognize the fruit of this Asian tree, said to be the smelliest in the world

ON THE LAOS $2000: Gen. Vang Pao & his fellow soldiers of this ethnic group helped the U.S. fight a secret war in Laos
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Neil: $18,400 (lock game)
Rachel: $8,200
John: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY ARTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Neil: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Rachel: Wager $7,001 to cover John.
John: Risk between $601 and $6,400, covering Rachel's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1910 magazine article asked this groundbreaking artist if he used models; he grinned & said, "Where would I get them?"

FINAL SCORES
John: $7,600 + $601 = $8,201 (Who is Picasso?) (2nd place)
Rachel: $8,200 + $0 = $8,200 (Who is Picasso?) (3rd place)
Neil: $18,400 + $1,000 = $19,400 (Who is Man Ray Picasso) (New champion: $19,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Neil: $18,000, 23 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Rachel: $10,200, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
John: $7,200, 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Neil: 24/59 = .407
Rachel: 16/59 = .271
John: 13/59 = .220
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BODY WORKS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a myelin sheath on the monitor.) Myelin sheaths insulate nerve fibers and promote speedy impulse transmission, but in multiple sclerosis, it appears that these, also known as leukocytes, attack the sheath, causing nerve impulses to short out

ADJECTIVAL DESCRIPTION $800: Unconventional; it's also what the clapping person is here; yipes
(Alex: Sounds like me, I'm the one who recorded that.)

STRAIGHT OUTTA... $1000: Western Springs, Illinois: this author of "The Corrections" & 2015's "Purity"
(Neil: Who is Frazen?)
(Alex: Say it again.)
(Neil: Frazen?)

IT DOESN'T GROW ON TREES $400: Groovy, man! It's the alliteratively named item seen here, ooh

IT DOESN'T GROW ON TREES $800: Money for sure doesn't grow on trees, including this foreign currency

A DATE FOR THE INAUGURAL BALL $400: Year of Abe's second, depicted here

ON THE LAOS $400: For most of the 19th century, Laos was dominated by this Western neighbor
(John: What is Cambodia?)
(Neil: What is Vietnam?)

AUTHORS' OTHER JOBS $2000: He got to know tangled bureaucracy working for the Bohemian government's Worker's Comp Bureau

IT GROWS ON TREES $800: Since it spends most of its time up in the branches, you could say that this mammal slowly grows on trees

IT GROWS ON TREES $1600: The vine that ate the South, it grows on trees and shrubs, smothering and killing them

SILENT "O" $1200: The antelope is a favorite food of this cat
(Rachel: What is an ocelot?)

A DATE FOR THE INAUGURAL BALL $800: Barack Obama attended 10 of them on this date in 2009
(Rachel: What are after-parties?)

A DATE FOR THE INAUGURAL BALL $1200: It's the year of the photo seen here

A DATE FOR THE INAUGURAL BALL $2000: Contrary to the picture, dancers kept their coats on at Grant's second, held on a freezing spring evening in this month, 1873
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Thomas
elliptical
Portland cement
the Mekong
Anita Mann
Bubba and Zadie
a Block Grant
the people
durian
Hmong
(Pablo) Picasso
white blood cells
offbeat
(Jonathan) Franzen
a lava lamp
rupees
Thailand
(Franz) Kafka
a sloth
kudzu
a leopard
January 20
March
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY ARTISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1910 magazine article asked this groundbreaking artist if he used models; he grinned & said, "Where would I get them?"

John Avila: 7600+601=8201
Rachel Bauman: 8200+0=8200
Neil Uspal: 18400+1000=19400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Picasso (Neil - Man Ray)

Daily Doubles
John: 400+1000
Rachel: 6600-2000
Neil: 14000+2000

Coryats
John: 7200
Rachel: 10200
Neil: 18000

Combined: 35,400
MarkBarrett

Re: Thursday, January 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hope Rachel didn't need that extra $1000 as she handed the returning champ an extra grand.

Rachel's DD miss must have created a thin-wall moment with neighbors all over the country wondering why they were hearing, MEKONG! next door.

Neil broke the streak and managed to solve the FJ! clue from the lead position.

WECIB, Teen Tournament, over 95%, etc.

I'll be the one to stop it in its tracks as I did a 50/50/90 and went for Modigliani thinking about the elongated necks in a toss up in my mind vs. scrambled faces. I was torn throughout the 30 seconds trying to decide if I should go easier or take the difficulty level up a step.

I did consider that Modigliani may be beyond who is asked for in the FJ! round, but I did not feel he should be ruled out in regular play either. In the end I went for the tougher name thinking I would be more mad the other way by going too easy when it was lower percentage name.

Now I get to wait to find at least one other board member to join me in the wrong column.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Those were some really obscure "Myself" songs. Didn't recognize any of them.

"Snoopy" is an adjective too?!?

That If They Married category was a mess. None of them were quite as bad as "Whoopi Fermi" at least.

I don't even know where Laos is, so nothing rang a bell there.

I said "What... is... a... sloth..." in my best impersonation of Flash from Zootopia.

I knew Durian because I've seen someone eat one.

Well, Picasso is way too obvious, so it's obviously going to be someone else.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Duchamp here for FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Picasso was my pre-call and I didn't change it, but I thought about Dali because of his weirdness, but I guess he was later than that.

If I'm correct, both of the challengers should have been furiously trying to buzz in on that $2000 clue to at least try and get above 50%, but I'm not sure I could have come up with a plausible ethnicity on the spot, so I won't fault them too much.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Wasn't there still another clue on the board? But the game timer locked it out. So it's perfectly reasonable for them to avoid the $2000 clue, hoping the final clue would be easier
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

This game finally broke my FJ drought. Considered Braque and Duchamp, but none of the subjects in their paintings I could recall looked enough like humans to relate to the quote. This seemed to fit the clue much better.

I was bemused when the players powered through the MARRIED category; I like to think Alex felt the same way when this game was taped. This, along with ODD COMBINED RESPONSES the other day, makes me wonder if the writers are running low on material.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I thought about Modigliani but stuck with Picasso fortunately.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yes, the MARRIED category was a disaster, and so frustrating b/c I got halfway there on 3 of them: Zadie, Mann, Grant. NHO Anita Ekberg

The DD in DATE FOR THE INAUGURATION was way too easy for the $2000 spot. That was Kid's Week material. I got the month of March from an article I read just today in the NY Times, otherwise I would have had no idea. The picture of the dancing couple led me nowhere. Was the same image used for the first and last clues??

TS: elliptical

FJ: Picasso (WECIB) but the joke didn't click with me until a few minutes later. I did wonder if 1910 was too early for Picasso's cubist period, but I went with him anyway.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

morbeedo wrote:Yes, the MARRIED category was a disaster, and so frustrating b/c I got halfway there on 3 of them: Zadie, Mann, Grant. NHO Anita Ekberg

The DD in DATE FOR THE INAUGURATION was way too easy for the $2000 spot.
Another vote for not liking the MARRIED category.

I don't think DD was in 2k spot, is it? Also, the contestant gave answer too quickly -- I didn't even get a good look at the pic..no idea who it was.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I knew Durian because I've seen someone eat one.
When I visited Singapore, there were warning about Durian's all over the subway. I guess I wasn't paying attention as I missed this today and once the answer was revealed.... :idea:
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I knew they would accept "shot put," but the track & field "object" is a shot. The event is shot put.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

morbeedo wrote:The DD in DATE FOR THE INAUGURATION was way too easy for the $2000 spot. That was Kid's Week material. I got the month of March from an article I read just today in the NY Times, otherwise I would have had no idea. The picture of the dancing couple led me nowhere. Was the same image used for the first and last clues??
I believe the DD in that category came in the $1600 slot, but I'd contend that clue (year of the inaugural Inaugural Ball; war with Britain came three years later) was even more overvalued. I checked the tape and the pictures weren't the same, though they looked very similar. The first clue's picture was of Lincoln's 1865 inauguration; the last clue's was of Grant's 1873 inauguration.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Picasso but wound up with Dali.

I didn't like the married category. They used some rather obscure people and the jokes fell flat.

I ran the inaugural category with ease and would have made a TDD without thinking. The category wasn't very good, though. They put a DD in a clue where they wanted to know when Madison took office and gave a hint of "three years before a war with Britain"?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote:Yes, the MARRIED category was a disaster, and so frustrating b/c I got halfway there on 3 of them: Zadie, Mann, Grant. NHO Anita Ekberg
I had the other half on two of those: Bubba {Smith} and Anita {Ekberg}
morbeedo wrote: The DD in DATE FOR THE INAUGURATION was way too easy for the $2000 spot. That was Kid's Week material. I got the month of March from an article I read just today in the NY Times, otherwise I would have had no idea. The picture of the dancing couple led me nowhere.
I thought all the Inauguration clues were overly easy. But I got tripped up on the top row clue in the same way Rachel did. OBama "attended 10 of these" just sent me down the wrong path. I would have stayed clam though, instead of guessing like Rachel did.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I started with Picasso but wound up with Dali.
I started with Dali, realized 1910 was way too early for it to be him and then switched to Munch.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,400
47 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: elliptical, Portland cement, Block-Grant, Mekong River (DD), durian, Hmong

Ring the alarm! The streak is over!

TIL that Picasso's full name was Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso. Try saying that three times fast.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Those were some really obscure "Myself" songs. Didn't recognize any of them.
"Dancing With Myself" is an '80s radio staple. I have never heard of Beyonce's "Me, Myself and I," but it was a Top 5 single (and had a fairly obvious TOM). Both Eric Carmen's original and Celine Dion's cover of "All By Myself" were Top 5 hits, and they are both played regularly on Adult Contemporary stations.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

[quote="Bamaman"]I started with Picasso but wound up with Dali.

That makes two of us. Then I tried to place either of them at the turn of the century (1910) and decided they were more modern. I wrote down Manet as a random artist I thought might be in the time period. Or was it Monet? Same thing (snore).

The Hmong seemed like a freebie, and I almost didn't go for it because they didn't, and it was a bottom row clue.

I was just glad to see the Zero bet in FJ, even if it was incorrect. At least somebody applied strategy, albeit errantly.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.