Friday, January 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:I love it when people make a bet like Neil's.
Amen. After we have already seen two people in 2017 lose games they should have won because of their suicide-from-second-place bets, Neil's wager was spot on and won a game he could have lost. Not a dominating performance but he just became my hero for this week.

Good job, champ!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

IronNeck wrote:Also, wow, prior to reading this topic, I had no idea someone decided to continue Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, complete with long-lost evil sisters. Most misguided continuation ever? Or does that belong to the guy who wrote a sequel to A Catcher in the Rye?

I also find it hilarious and revealing that we have multiple books and movies about Ramanujan, a fascinating biography but not even close to a top 100 mathematician in his day, versus none about the all-time great mathematician and more interesting personality GH Hardy, who discovered him and aided him as much as it was possible to.
Having a clue about Ramanujan when there was a contestant named Hardy was an interesting coincidence. If Hardy were a taxi driver, it would've been more interesting.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Congrats on making the show, Hardy. Sorry you went up against someone who knows how to bet in FJ.

I noticed a slight accent in your voice. If you don't mind me asking, where are you (or your family) originally from?

Instaget FJ for me and I agree Lynn wasn't a bad guess. I lived in East Tennessee for a few years so I was glad to see Dolly come up.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:Congrats on making the show, Hardy. Sorry you went up against someone who knows how to bet in FJ.
I was about to post the same thing! So many contestants would have handed Hardy the win in this situation. But not Neil. Selfish old Neil. :D

You looked great up there, Hardy. Fun to watch. Are you tired because the viewing party lasted way into the night?
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

My parents are from Haiti and I was born and raised in the NYC area, so it might just be me talking fast with a slight NY accent. Ha. A lot of users on Twitter thought I didn't phrase a lot of my answers in the form of a question, but I did. I would have spoken more slowly if one of coordinators had let me know!

And yes, it was a long, fun night. My friends are amazing were so supportive of me, so it was a long night of discussion, what-ifs and what-could-have-beens!

FYI, this was my fifth tryout for Jeopardy! so for people who think they'll never get on the show, please don't give up!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I work with a guy who was born in Haiti so I suspected that was your background from hearing you speak. Thank you for answering my question. I'm glad you were able to achieve your goal after so many attempts. Too bad it aired on a day many people didn't get to see the show.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

corvo wrote:My parents are from Haiti and I was born and raised in the NYC area, so it might just be me talking fast with a slight NY accent. Ha. A lot of users on Twitter thought I didn't phrase a lot of my answers in the form of a question, but I did. I would have spoken more slowly if one of coordinators had let me know!

And yes, it was a long, fun night. My friends are amazing were so supportive of me, so it was a long night of discussion, what-ifs and what-could-have-beens!

FYI, this was my fifth tryout for Jeopardy! so for people who think they'll never get on the show, please don't give up!
Congrats on making the show eventhough it didn't work out.

5 times? Did you start for teen tournament?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Now the big question is when will Hardy's brother appear on the show to avenge Hardy's diss. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was hoping they'd have a clue about RISD's mascot.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

corvo wrote:Hardy, here! I'll elaborate on my experience a bit more when I'm not so . . . um, tired.
Oh, man, a stealth Boardie appearance! I must have intuited that, because I was rooting for you right from the start! And yes, Hardy, I thought there were about 10 times when you didn't phrase it properly, but closed captioning had it right.

As for the tsar DD, I went "Nicholas the Sec ... Ivan the Terrible!"
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MattKnowles wrote:I answered quartz instead of silica. I feel like that should be accepted but I'm not sure.

For the clue with plasma I'm not sure if "Ionized Electrons" is technically correct. If you add sufficient energy to a gas it turns into plasma and becomes ionized but the electrons themselves don't become ionized.
Doubtful on both. Quartz is a specific form of silicon tetroxide (technically SiO2, but shared valence forms tetrahedron lattice); and 'plasma' in this case refers to the fourth state of matter, "ionized electrons" are in the 4th state, but it's again probably far too specific. They're looking for 'THIS' specific term... it's J-think. Follow the show for years to find the writers' groove, eh? :idea:
Only TPTB would know... ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

corvo wrote:Hardy, here! I'll elaborate on my experience a bit more when I'm not so . . . um, tired.

Anyway congrats, to Neil! So quick on the buzzer and obviously very good at math! I had a blast and have no regrets.
Gosh Hardy you got so darn close and you played really very well, you looked good and made it look easy, and my wife was just in tears when you came up short a dollar!
Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man! Great game sir, condolences on the near-miss, and our very best wishes to you & yours! :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I forget the exact wording of the clue, but the accepted response was "biomimicry". My response was "biomimetics". Judges?
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Based on the album's title, the first name that popped into my head was Cyndi Lauper. But I knew she wasn't country, and Dolly Parton was the only country crooner I could think of that would've had a No. 1 album 25 years ago.

Surprised at the NHNF triple stumper on Sandra Day O'Connor. She's Pavlov for me on any clue containing Supreme Court and Arizona. There have been four female justices, and they named all but the correct one. :lol:
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Kenny wrote:Based on the album's title, the first name that popped into my head was Cyndi Lauper. But I knew she wasn't country,
She actually did release a country album last year, but it wasn't a #1 album, and she didn't have one 25 years earlier.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote:
MattKnowles wrote:I answered quartz instead of silica. I feel like that should be accepted but I'm not sure.

For the clue with plasma I'm not sure if "Ionized Electrons" is technically correct. If you add sufficient energy to a gas it turns into plasma and becomes ionized but the electrons themselves don't become ionized.
Doubtful on both. Quartz is a specific form of silicon tetroxide (technically SiO2, but shared valence forms tetrahedron lattice); and 'plasma' in this case refers to the fourth state of matter, "ionized electrons" are in the 4th state, but it's again probably far too specific. They're looking for 'THIS' specific term... it's J-think. Follow the show for years to find the writers' groove, eh? :idea:
Only TPTB would know... ;)
He wasn't asking if "ionized electrons" would be a correct response; the phrase showed up in the clue and he was questioning the accuracy of its use.
Foretopman wrote:I forget the exact wording of the clue, but the accepted response was "biomimicry". My response was "biomimetics". Judges?
I think you're good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomimetics
I think "biomimesis," which I said, should also be okay, but I'm not totally sure.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Seaborgium said:
I think you're good
Thanks.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:I think "biomimesis," which I said, should also be okay, but I'm not totally sure.
I guessed biomimesis as well. That was purely cobbling two Greek words together according to the instructions in the clue. I wouldn't have rung in with it. If the clue had been a DD, I'd give myself credit.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

dinghammer wrote:
Kenny wrote:Based on the album's title, the first name that popped into my head was Cyndi Lauper. But I knew she wasn't country,
She actually did release a country album last year, ...
Glad I didn't know this or I might've gone with Lauper. My knowledge of country music pretty much stops at anything after 1980, but Parton is famous for more than just her music (e.g. comedy film roles like "9 To 5").
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

...[/quote]
Glad I didn't know this or I might've gone with Lauper. My knowledge of country music pretty much stops at anything after 1980, but Parton is famous for more than just her music (e.g. comedy film roles like "9 To 5").[/quote]

Um, I know this isn't THAT kind of board, but Dolly is particularly famous for two things in particular. And it isn't her music and her movies...

If her persona and image are anything close to her real self, she is a fantastic and classy lady. She certainly walks the walk.

Old joke:
Why does Dolly Parton have such a tiny waist?
Because nothing grows well in the shade!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.