Wednesday, January 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

Tough boards, but also some strange TS. And as good as I am at hiding my emotions, I definitely wouldn't manage to smile, laugh, and be cheerful like Stephanie upon being brutally locked out going into FJ.

Solid DD betting from Loren. When one has an enormous lead is among the few instances where conservative wagers make sense. And betting everything on the first board opened up that aforementioned disparity.

LT: World Boxing Council, agriculture, Patton, vouch, Man of La Mancha, and "I shall return".

Missed FJ and felt bad about it. I have read a lot about the Coptic Christians and how they have been slaughtered or forcibly converted by Muslims over the past few years. Didn't come to me, though.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:ugh! I forgot Mt. Wilson as one of my kneejerk misses - went for Palomar before the clue was finished. it would have taken me a few seconds to clear the brain to get Mt. Wilson, the home base of Edwin Hubble I believe.
I did, too. Knee jerk of Palomar and immediately realized it was Wilson. I have a feeling I would have been negged before the reversal on the show.
davey

Post by davey »

Am I the only person who wrote down "Coptic Christians"? Somehow Copt didn't seem like enough......This is a case when I knew the response right away, i just wasn't sure why. I don't think I would have been able to go from Coptic to Greek for Egypt...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Not my best showing tonight. Picked up only half the money I made on Tuesday's game. Jeopardy is funny that way. But at least I know what I need to study.

Kid knows his mascara! But what led to Maybelline? I guessed Mary Kay.

TS: drunk as a skunk, vouch, Irene Cara, Man of la Mancha, I shall return (on a rebound)

20+ years in NYC and the Long Island county clue was a stand and stare. Ouch.

I love to drink so I'm kicking myself for missing ripped and plastered.

Sports continues to be a blackhole but I got yellow jackets and DNF (also applies to running).

0/3 FJ this week. I've heard of Coptic but wasn't getting there in a million years.

Add Papeete to the seemingly endless list of capitals one needs to memorize.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote:Kid knows his mascara! But what led to Maybelline? I guessed Mary Kay.
It's a famous makeup brand with a woman's name? Mary Kay is fairly famously the person who started her namesake company.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ; 45R; LT: US Steel, Capstan, agriculture, Patton, vouch, Man of La Mancha, Yamamoto, Vega > Lyra, "I shall return." No gets on Mattel, World Boxing COUNCIL. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Kid knows his mascara! But what led to Maybelline? I guessed Mary Kay.
It's a famous makeup brand with a woman's name? Mary Kay is fairly famously the person who started her namesake company.
YEKIOYD; here's the story, frequently recurring, which involves pet jelly and coal dust (!):
The Maybelline Company was created by a 19-year-old entrepreneur named Tom Lyle Williams in 1915. Williams noticed his older sister Mabel applying a mixture of Vaseline and coal dust to her eyelashes to give them a darker, fuller look. He adapted it with a chemistry set and produced a product sold locally called lash-in-brow-line. Williams renamed his eye beautifier Maybelline, in honor of his sister Mabel, who gave him the idea. In 1917 the company produced Maybelline Cake Mascara, "the first modern eye cosmetic for everyday use" and Ultra Lash in the 1960s, which was the first mass-market automatic.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Anyone know if Loren is a Warriors fan? I feel like his $739 wager in FJ might be a tribute to the 73-9 record the Warriors put up last year.

Shocked that Clint Hill was a TS. Had "try" instead of touchdown for PAT. Was disappointed we didn't finish the Robert Louis Stevenson category, because I just visited Scotland a few months ago and visited the writer's museum featuring a lot of RLS memorabilia.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote:No gets on Mattel,
Thanks for reminding.
I blurted out 'LIncoln Logs' when I heard the Mattel clue.
MarkBarrett wrote: Clint Hill, an agent with this part of the government from 1958 to 1975, leaped to fame in November 1963

I had Secret Service off Clint Hill, thought the clue should have ended after 1975, and thought the added November 1963 was a dead giveaway.
Not watching the screen when the first part of the clue was read, I initially thought he was the agent that took a bullet for Reagan in 1981, but upon seeing the date, quickly realized I had him mixed up. Got Secret Service regardless.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote:
goatman wrote:No gets on Mattel,
Thanks for reminding.
I blurted out 'LIncoln Logs' when I heard the Mattel clue.
That's what my wife said. I said Fisher-Price.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

This game had the lowest combined Coryat of the season so far, I believe.

I too negged with "I will return", though at least I got "Man of La Mancha" correct. FJ was a get, couldn't think of anything else it could be. The champ seems to be pretty good on the buzzer, will be interesting to see how he does tomorrow.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Mabeline, but only after trying to think of some brand that contained Williams.

Stephanie collects Barbie dolls but misses the Mattel clue.

I ran the WWII category, surprised the players struggled. I also got of instead of from.

Instaget FJ. I had no idea what the word meant, but I couldn't think of anything else.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

econgator wrote:Tack has nothing to do with the heading of a boat. It's which side of the boat the wind is coming from.
Agreed. Also, if you're going for "capstan" you should use a picture of an actual capstan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_( ... utical.jpg, and not a winch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winch#/me ... :Winch.PNG.

You might be able to guess from my username, this stuff is my strength.
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote:
econgator wrote:Tack has nothing to do with the heading of a boat. It's which side of the boat the wind is coming from.
Agreed. Also, if you're going for "capstan" you should use a picture of an actual capstan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_( ... utical.jpg, and not a winch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winch#/me ... :Winch.PNG.

You might be able to guess from my username, this stuff is my strength.
Good to learn. I don't know much about the subject, but when I saw the picture the word that popped into my head was "winch." Since I couldn't think how that sounds like "the boss of the boat," I stayed clam... :roll:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I probably would have come up with capstan had I realized it was pronounced like that. I've only seen it written so always assumed the last syllable was pronounced like the name Stan (cap-stan). That makes it sound a lot less like captain than if the last syllable has a schwa vowel sound.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

rpg wrote:This game had the lowest combined Coryat of the season so far, I believe.
15,600 for the Combined Coryat is the lowest of 2017. I found 12,200 on Dec. 26 and stopped looking thinking there can't be anything lower this season.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Never heard of "point after touchdown" at $200.
It may be a bit arcane to those who are only casual football fans. TV announcers occasionally use it, but it's more commonly referred to orally as "extra point." The PAT is more formal. It's commonly used in box scores in the newspapers -- a kicker might be credited for "PAT-2, FG-1" for five points: two "extra points" and 1 field goal.

You'll also hear referees on field occasionally refer to a "try" after a touchdown; it can be a kicked extra point but more commonly refers to a "two point conversion." The most frequent time I hear it is when a two-point conversion has a penalty, and the referee announces "the try will be repeated."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

soxfan99 wrote:I went with "point after try" for PAT. I had always thought it was a holdover from the early days of football and rugby. I think it would be accepted, if not originally, on reversal. Not sure why I never associated it with "point after touchdown."
Probably wouldn't be accepted -- a "point after touchdown" IS a "try," along with a two-point conversion. The term "try" is used for both, especially when referees are announcing on the field that "the try" is successful or not, or must be repeated due to a penalty.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

jev15 wrote:Anyone know if Loren is a Warriors fan? I feel like his $739 wager in FJ might be a tribute to the 73-9 record the Warriors put up last year.

Shocked that Clint Hill was a TS. Had "try" instead of touchdown for PAT. Was disappointed we didn't finish the Robert Louis Stevenson category, because I just visited Scotland a few months ago and visited the writer's museum featuring a lot of RLS memorabilia.
Apparently it is a troll bet, but not his first. Sneaky sneaky sir: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1855 ... 52888698=1
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

badgerfellow wrote:
jev15 wrote:Anyone know if Loren is a Warriors fan? I feel like his $739 wager in FJ might be a tribute to the 73-9 record the Warriors put up last year.

Apparently it is a troll bet, but not his first. Sneaky sneaky sir: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1855 ... 52888698=1
Pretty slick move on Loren's part. A couple of funny bets and he gets free publicity for his podcast on ESPN. You can't buy that.