Thursday, January 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PLAYWRIGHTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He said of his 1949 play & its main character, "I could write about failure only because I could deal with it…I knew how he felt"

Loren Lee Chen: 6200-3001=3199
Christy Karras: 23600+7000=30600 (New Champ)
Josiah Drewien: 4600-0=4600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arthur Miller (Loren – Williams) (Josiah – I [drawn heart] ^)

Daily Doubles
Josiah: 2000-2000
Loren: 5200+2200
Christy: 14200+3000

Coryats
Loren: 5200
Christy: 21800
Josiah: 6600

Combined: 33,600
MarkBarrett

Re: Thursday, January 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Balaenoptera musculus was a DD clue just waiting to subtract money from a player's score. Josiah was the victim in that case being slightly off with butterfly. I said fly thinking it could be something with wings.

The players did not complete OSCAR HOSTS to cost my Coryat 1000, but even with the Rock stumper it played better than it did in this infamous game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=163

Impressive debut by Christy to send the guys packing and earn the champion's spot. She is also the best player with that first name (at least with that exact spelling) on J! as none had won previously, one finished -6400 and another was out in the QF round of a Teen Tournament.

I had Shaw, O'Neill, Miller, Simon and Mamet on my precall list off the FJ! category and locked in the correct name as soon as I saw 1949. That's the kind of clue when it is reasonable to think no way it should be a triple stumper and Christy assured it would not be when the declaration seemed in doubt.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sad to see Loren go. Big congrats to Christy for making it look easy to totally dominate. Wow! Also nice to see someone make a safe big bet from a lock position. So many of them seem to go small.

"Bee" for Apis mellifera and no BMS?

"Martin" for award winning 1969 comedy writer and no BMS?!!?!!?

Blood spatter, blood splatter. Blood splatter, blood spatter. I went back and forth, ended up on splatter and got it wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My mom ran the children's literature category. I got only $200.

I clammed on "Vulpes chama" = fox because I overthought it. "Well, vulpes is fox, but what the hell is chama?!" Turns out vulpes chama is the cape fox. The common, Nick Wilde type fox is just vulpes vulpes. Bad clue, compounded by the lack of BMS on "swan" and "bee".

Mom and I both got the Lach Trash on negligee.

Failure = Death of a Salesman = Miller. Wow, where'd I pull that from?!?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I swear Alex said they wanted the type of animal for that category. Not sure why everyone wants BMSes.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Any kind of lit is a wheelhouse for me so FJ was instaget: Willy Loman > Death of a Salesman > Eugene O'Neill , of course and happily hum the think music. And then, GOOD GRIEF, WHAT HAVE I DONE? Has to be my worst J! goof ever (well, one of them). Only silver lining is that I wasn't on national tv. The thought of that makes me shudder. I guess it's a good lessson.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Loren won all games in a lock and lost in a lock. I wonder how many times this has happened?

This game felt weird for me. It felt harder...may be the categories. Also, it never felt like the guys were playing that bad or Christy was dominating --> but what a debut by Christy.

I channeled Loren in negging with Williams on FJ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34/58 right.

Oscar (1), Lit (3), Act (3), "DOO" or "DY" (5), Name (3), Wear (4)
Quote (3), Midwest (4), Monarch (4), TV (2), Words (1), Analysi"S" (1)

Lach Trash: negligee

Very first thought was Tennessee Williams, but then I focused on the word "loser" and got to the right playwright/play; remembering the Seinfeld episodes where Jerry called George "Biff (Loman)" helped as well.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

A return to form after my poor showing last night. 44R, 1W (splatter)

I keep saying it, but studying really helps! Now if they would just send me an audition invite before all my hair and teeth fall out! Grrr

TS: negligée, Voyageurs Natl Park (NHO it, but surprised that Alex pronounced it Voyagers given the clue), turista, Bobby Flay

Also expected BMS on honeybee. Balaenoptera > baleine (Fr.) > whale - ok, but I don't know how they would expect anyone to know Balaenoptera musculus is the blue whale?

I don't think 20th c. playwrights is a narrow category at all! Miller, Shaw, Beckett, Pinter, Williams, O'Neil, Hansberry, Hellman, Pirandello, Wilder, Albee, Wasserstein, Kushner, Inge................!!!

If Loren makes it a TDD and gets Edward VIII, well he still loses because he missed Final.

Could we get a poll on Pellegrino? I got it from knowing French (pèlerinage > pilgrimage). Perrier popped into my head first, but now I realize that's a French brand. A propos, here's some fun trivia.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

When I saw 'Balaenoptera', my first thought was of course 'whale', but then I noticed the 'ptera' part and thought they must be looking for something with wings. Apparently it can also mean 'fin'…good to know. (Relatedly, humpback whales belong to the genus Megaptera -- which, if I'd seen before today, I would confidently have guessed was the name of a type of bird or pterosaur.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I apparently had Who's Afraid still on the brain and went, "Death of a Salesman? Edward Albee!"

...it's been a long week and I'm recovering from a cold. That's my excuse and sticking with it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Alex is clearly in a different social class than I am. I a) don't eat out at a restaurant every day, and b) am never asked "tap water or pellegrino" at the restaurants where I do eat...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew pellegrino because I can't set foot into a Target snack bar without buying a can of San Pellegrino blood orange juice.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

morbeedo wrote:
Also expected BMS on honeybee. Balaenoptera > baleine (Fr.) > whale - ok, but I don't know how they would expect anyone to know Balaenoptera musculus is the blue whale?
But the point is that they DIDN'T expect you to be that specific. They accepted bee, fox, swan, and another I can't remember just now. When Alex corrected the contestant, he did say blue whale, then added something to the effect of "...so just whale." As a previous poster has said, he specified that they wanted the type of animal, not the specific species.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This was definitely not an instaget for me, but the loser protaganist --> Willy Loman --> Death of a Salesman --> Arthur Miller path was clear enough for me.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats on the new champ's impressive win.

Another shutout for me. Arthur Miller did cross my mind for FJ, but I too ended up settling on Tennessee Williams.

For the DDs, I guessed octopus for the blue whale one :lol: , Anne of Cleves for the Henry VIII one, and no guess on the Italian one.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Well, praise be the glory of bebop and gawd bless theatre for it's why I'm 2/4 for the week (should be 3/4, I way overthought yesterday's FJ...grrr, arrrgh) for the week with the FJs. In addition to insta-nabbing Miller, also had some bonus lach trash on the side thanks to 'negligee'.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

nlw44 wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
But the point is that they DIDN'T expect you to be that specific. They accepted bee, fox, swan, and another I can't remember just now. When Alex corrected the contestant, he did say blue whale, then added something to the effect of "...so just whale." As a previous poster has said, he specified that they wanted the type of animal, not the specific species.
Yeah I see that now but was confused during the game, which happens a lot :)