Friday, January 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Kenny »

Golf wrote:
Kenny wrote:Wow, that FJ was definitely YEKIOYD. I've never heard of Bloemfontein, nor the Free State of South Africa, of which it is the capital.
It's a world capital. Even more, it's the only country on the planet that has three national capitals. Zero reason for any aspiring Jeopardy contestant not to know Bloemfontein.
Zero reason? Well, judging from some of the comments on this thread (not to mention two of the contestants), there are a lot of zeroes around here. We are just not as brilliant as you.

Obviously, you are a genius for knowing an arcane South African capital city. I genuflect to your superior intelligence.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Kenny wrote:
Golf wrote:
Kenny wrote:Wow, that FJ was definitely YEKIOYD. I've never heard of Bloemfontein, nor the Free State of South Africa, of which it is the capital.
It's a world capital. Even more, it's the only country on the planet that has three national capitals. Zero reason for any aspiring Jeopardy contestant not to know Bloemfontein.
Zero reason? Well, judging from some of the comments on this thread (not to mention two of the contestants), there are a lot of zeroes around here. We are just not as brilliant as you.

Obviously, you are a genius for knowing an arcane South African capital city. I genuflect to your superior intelligence.
Getting FJ wrong and knowing Bloemfontein are not mutually exclusive. He was responding specifically to your never having heard of it (and your resulting dismissal of the FJ).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote: I know South Africa has three capitals but could not remember the right one. I wrote down Johannesburg just to have something.
You didn't say it, so I can't tell if you think it, but just in case you do: Johannesburg is not one of the capitals. (If you knew that, my apologies for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.)
I did know Johannesburg was not one of the capitals. But neither Cape Town or Pretoria seemed to fit. The clue did not specify it was a capital. In actuality, I wrote down J at the beginning before i really thought about it.

Apology accepted, but it really wasn't necessary since I wasn't clear to begin with.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Category 13 wrote:A little less ahhhhhhing and a little more clue selection. All three were guilty of this but Lisa was the most prominent. It made it hard for me to root for her.
Her FJ wager was telling that she doesn't grasp the strategy so I predict this will be her downfall.
I don't think her wager was terrible. It would have been better to bet a bit less (between 9000 and 11600) to try to grab the win on a TS if third place cooperates, but there are worse wagers you can make.

I got FJ because I remembered a pivotal DD from an Alex Jacob game (his losing one, in fact):

OH, B-CITY IN AFRICA $12,600 (Daily Double): The name of this South African judicial capital means "fountain of flowers"

For the clue 'A likeness of this "fast as a bus" breed was found on an Egyptian tomb dating from about 3000 B.C.' I said Saluki. Judges? Provisionally giving this one to myself.

Ran the lit category, which I thought was pretty easy. The bottom boxes for the "ASP" and art categories both kept me from running those, never heard of aspic nor the Ashcan school.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yeah, instaget... the above diatribe re: Johannesburg reminds of a funny (Speak, Memory!):

How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky, is it Lewis-ville or Loowey-ville?!
Spoiler
Pretty sure it's pronounced "Frank-fort!?"
:P

TBVH I really expected a triple get and was disappointed not to have at least two gets. To their credit, all three did come up with one of the S. African capitals, so there was that, and play was competitive with few TS; at least no one said; "What's Kuala Lumpur?!" ;)

45R and LT: Buffalo NY ward supervisor > Grover Cleveland; Court-martialed USAF G.O.: Billy Mitchell, an outspoken proponent of air power and "Father of the Air Force" who sharply criticized the Army for 'incompetence' and was found 'guilty of being rude on all counts,' after which he resigned from the Army; Bell v. Morse; sextant. Fun clues, GG!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
JayK33 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Muscovite = Russia? Dafuq?
Moscow!
Still only kinda sorta vaguely almost sounds like it, at best.
Muscovite only sounds vaguely like Moscow? OK then.
The better question is why all of this isn't taken to the appropriate thread. (Not specifically you, Kirk.) It adds nothing to the conversation. I really need to sit down and figure out how to move posts around easily. I'm going to start taking them out of the daily thread where they do not belong.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Muscovite = Russia? Dafuq?

Lach Trash on "stollen" and "coarse".

Flowers and water? That sounds like Bloemfontein to me.
stolen, coarse/course, and Bloemfontein are all very nice gets. And yet you've apparently never heard that Muscovite = someone from Moscow = Russian.

You are truly a mysterious individual, sir.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words or in Lisa's case $27,600

Truly. It was delightful to see her delight. The Zerg-cam lives!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

To me Christy bore an uncanny resemblance to Bernadette on Big Bang Theory. And after her strong win on Thursday I thought she might stick around for a while. But I guess sometimes Schlitt happens. (And yes, I know, Lisa must have been hearing stuff like that for a long time.)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I knew it started with Bloem but couldn't remember the rest of it so I wrote down Bloemenburg.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:To me Christy bore an uncanny resemblance to Bernadette on Big Bang Theory.
Funny you should say that because my wife said the exact same thing! I agree there was a resemblance.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kenny wrote:an arcane South African capital city

I'm kidding, of course, but you also thought Delaware being the first state was "arcane" and according to last week's poll 89% of the respondents here knew that fact. Yes, I'm sure Bloemfontein is the least known South African capital, but arcane is an awfully strong word to use. There are definitely some arcane world capitals, I just don't think Bloemfontein is one of them.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Kenny wrote:an arcane South African capital city

I'm kidding, of course, but you also thought Delaware being the first state was "arcane" and according to last week's poll 89% of the respondents here knew that fact. Yes, I'm sure Bloemfontein is the least known South African capital, but arcane is an awfully strong word to use. There are definitely some arcane world capitals, I just don't think Bloemfontein is one of them.
THIS is arcane, go roll a toon!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xje0F5yAoo
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

On South African capitals. [I edited this post to remove the spoiler for a future episode. I made a reference to one clue in a future game without spoiling the outcome, but in hindsight I shouldn't have said anything since the episode has yet to air. Apologies.]

TS: Stollen, sextant

Jumped all over Marconi (instead of Bell)

Would just "Monday" have been accepted? What about "abstract expressionism"? I also negged on "can't you tell me your name?" argh

DD: 1/3 - fiberglass. My knowledge of the US Presidents is pathetic, so I would've bet $5. Just couldn't get to "Adoration" - got hung up on Annunciation and didn't make the wise men to magi link - sad!

FJ: I panicked for a moment then wrote Bloemfontaine with 100% confidence

I believe the Norwich Terrier is one of the 5 dog breeds featured in 'Best in Show'
Last edited by morbeedo on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

morbeedo wrote:Would just "Monday" have been accepted?
Yes. Absolutely. They were asking for the lyric rather than the title.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

bpmod wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Would just "Monday" have been accepted?
Yes. Absolutely. They were asking for the lyric rather than the title.

Brian
Thought so. I know these songs but when I see the lyrics written out with no music I struggle to hear the verse in my head. Also negged on "can't you tell me your name?" ugh
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote:On South African capitals,
Spoiler
we'll be having this discussion all over again the week of March 20th. There's a clue asking for the legislative capital of South Africa, and it ends up a TS, but Bloemfontein is given as an incorrect response.
To be honest, it seems like we've taken the spoiler tag a bit for granted. It's usually come to mean around here that the spoiler contains information in a previous episode (if it's obvious it refers to an episode) and since I am all caught up, I clicked on the spoiler, only to find a bit of information that is for a game scheduled to air in almost two months, something probably no other boardie has seen.

In my opinion, if you're going to use the spoiler tag for show content and it isn't for a past episode, reference it in the non spoiler section, like:
morbeedo should have wrote:On South African capitals (spoiler for week of March 20th),
Spoiler
we'll be having this discussion all over again when there's a clue asking for the legislative capital of South Africa, and it ends up a TS, but Bloemfontein is given as an incorrect response.
I know as an audience member, you weren't beholden to a non-disclosure agreement like the contestants are (which I kind of wish was the case, not only to prevent situations like Ken's loss date been an "open secret", but also for people like my wife, who are terrible at keeping secrets and, when I get The Call, I'll be contractually obligated not to tell my friends and family the result of my game(s), but she won't, having them know anyways with the slightest bit of prodding), but maybe we should be cognizant of the reason why the NDAs exist.

(Note: all opinions expressed therein are my own and are not related to the board management. Speaking with my mod hat off because, as in real life, I don't like wearing hats if I don't have to.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:To be honest, it seems like we've taken the spoiler tag a bit for granted. It's usually come to mean around here that the spoiler contains information in a previous episode (if it's obvious it refers to an episode) and since I am all caught up, I clicked on the spoiler, only to find a bit of information that is for a game scheduled to air in almost two months, something probably no other boardie has seen.
True, although on a spoiler scale from 1-10, this is pretty much a 1.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:To be honest, it seems like we've taken the spoiler tag a bit for granted. It's usually come to mean around here that the spoiler contains information in a previous episode (if it's obvious it refers to an episode) and since I am all caught up, I clicked on the spoiler, only to find a bit of information that is for a game scheduled to air in almost two months, something probably no other boardie has seen.
True, although on a spoiler scale from 1-10, this is pretty much a
Spoiler
Fixed that for ya. Geez.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,200
46 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Philippines, stollen, NASA*, coarse

It's a bloom! It's a fountain! It's Bloemfontein!

Like Lisa, I fell for the Buffalo = McKinley Pavlov trap.
Sprinkles are for winners.