Monday, January 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

Kevin Shrum wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Prison reform colony founder = James Oglethorpe. Thank you, Mr. (11th grade U.S. history) Lewbin. Joe and Valerie did not know it, so the clue opens up to a bunch of guesses with Penn and Raleigh seeming reasonable and I could imagine someone else going anywhere from Roger Williams to Lord Baltimore.
Yeah, Williams and Penn were the two I thought of. I went with the latter because the clue mentioned prisons and no one ever talks about doing a year in the Williams.
I actually got it more from the date than from the prison clue. The colonies from Virginia north were all founded prior to 1700, so I figured the date indicated one of the last colonies, if not the very last one, making Georgia a reasonable assumption. Georgia = Oglethorpe. My wife independently used the same reasoning to get the same answer.

JKS
Exactly how I got it as well.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: I feel sorry for the guy that had that Athens to Syracuse leg.
Can you imagine how much water it soaked up?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Kenny »

LT: left-handed (surprised Lisa didn't catch two-word clue); scratch; stretch; tie a fly; Robert Graves (have read both I, Claudius & Claudius The God, so that was instaget); Bureau of Competition.

Left three clues on the board in SJ & two in DJ because Valerie stammered so much. I wish the screeners would do a better job vetting for this. Robert Goddard was undervalued for a DD at the third box. Tough break for Joe but it ended up not costing him the game.

Lisa with the second straight sole get on a very tough (to me) FJ. I'm one of those who said Penn. She is very animated, waving to the crowd and reacting to her FJ answers.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Kenny wrote:LT: left-handed (surprised Lisa didn't catch two-word clue); scratch; stretch; tie a fly; Robert Graves (have read both I, Claudius & Claudius The God, so that was instaget); Bureau of Competition.

Left three clues on the board in SJ & two in DJ because Valerie stammered so much. I wish the screeners would do a better job vetting for this. Robert Goddard was undervalued for a DD at the third box. Tough break for Joe but it ended up not costing him the game.

Lisa with the second straight sole get on a very tough (to me) FJ. I'm one of those who said Penn. She is very animated, waving to the crowd and reacting to her FJ answers.
Are you saying she shouldn't have been on the show because she stammered occasionally??? Have you ever been under the kind of pressure she was??? I sure hope this came out wrong when you typed it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kenny wrote:Robert Goddard was undervalued for a DD at the third box.
I disagree because: http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,800
42 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: left-handed, scratch, Stretch, Bill Murray, Athens to Rome (DD), Robert Goddard (DD), competition

We definitely never covered Oglethorpe in history class. I knew he was associated with Georgia, but only because of J! I went with Penn.
Sprinkles are for winners.