Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6252, 2011-11-22

CONTESTANTS
Abby Drwecki, an anthropologist from Arvada, Colorado
Peter Jury, a clothier from Ellington, Connecticut
Francis Lansangan, a military analyst from Virginia Beach, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Okay. Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Although he was called to be a contestant on Jeopardy! A few years ago, Francis wasn't able to make it then because he got posted abroad. But I'm sure the wait was worthwhile because he picked up a lot of money yesterday. But now maybe it's Abby's turn or Peter's. We'll find out in this half-hour. Pick up the signaling devices. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories. First off, you'll have to deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OLD TESTAMENT WOMEN (5/5)
2011 NEWS (4/5)
CARTOON VOICES (5/5)
WHERE YA FROM? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PUT ON A SUIT (4/5)
A DISH OF YIDDISH (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francis: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Abby: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Peter: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Francis: $3,600
Peter: $2,000
Abby: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Abby Drwecki is from Arvada, Colorado, she's an anthropologist, and it says here you're wearing your lucky Jeopardy! shirt. I can't see it.

Abby: I am. It's purple. Uh, I wore it to my audition--

Alex: Ah.

Abby: --and then I happened to be wearing it the day that I got the call that I was going to be on Jeopardy! So I had to continue with that.

Alex: Oh, well, good for you. It's very nice, very nice.

Alex: Peter Jury is from Ellington, Connecticut, and this man has many claims to fame, one of them being, you can clap with one hand?

Peter: Yes, I can.

Alex: Okay--

Peter: Would you like to see?

Alex: Of--of course I would.

[Peter claps with one hand]

Alex: Darn, you're good. Way to go. I can't--I can't e--well, forget it.

Peter: Wind power.

Alex: Francis, over to you now. You're a military analyst, which means you do what? What do you analyze?

Francis: Well, uh, I work for Maritime Civil Affairs, which basically deploys sailors on or near the water in, uh, international settings to developing countries, and we help establish, maintain, and support relations between the host nation, um, government and nongovernment organizations, and the local populace.

Alex: Okay, do you assist in building and developing ports and piers and things like that?

Francis: Yes, we do.

Alex: Okay, good. That can only be to our benefit down the line.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Francis found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Francis had $5,600, Peter had $3,200, and Abby was at $3,400. Francis wagered $2,000.

WHERE YA FROM? $1000: Born June 8, 1867 in Richland Center, Wisconsin, he dreamed of moving to Chicago, with its soaring architecture

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2011 NEWS $800: This 6-letter mega-retailer began selling "Kelly's Collection" of wedding gowns... but do you really need 24 of 'em?
(Peter: What is Target?)

PUT ON A SUIT $600: On the jacket, besom, bellows & flap are just 3 possible styles of this
(Peter: What are lapels?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Francis: $7,600
Abby: $3,400
Peter: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TURKEY DAY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BODY WORKS (5/5)
BOOKS' SUBTITLES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DANCING WITH THE STARS WINNERS (5/5)
A "LITTLE" LEARNING (5/5)
IS A DANGEROUS THING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Abby: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Peter: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Francis: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Peter snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Francis had $7,600, Peter had $3,600, and Abby was at $5,400. Peter made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

BOOKS' SUBTITLES $1600: John Gray:
"The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Francis who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Francis had $16,000, Peter had $14,000, and Abby was at $14,200. Francis wagered $4,000.

TURKEY DAY $1600: This Western European country with a 3-million-strong Turkish minority is one of Turkey's main trading partners

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TURKEY DAY $2000: Turkey is known for producing this type of raisin grape, also the title of the wife of an Ottoman ruler
(Alex: The ruler is the sultan, and the grapes are [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Francis: $20,000
Abby: $14,200
Peter: $14,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. MONEY MATH

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Francis: Wager $8,401 to cover Abby.
Abby: You ought to wager to cover Peter, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $13,800 (to shut out Peter) or less than $2,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Peter). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Francis.
Peter: Consider risking between $201 and $2,400. This will top a $0 wager by Abby while still beating Francis on the Triple Stumper (should Francis wager to cover Abby's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Adding up the denominations of circulating bills with U.S. presidents on the front gives you this total

FINAL SCORES
Peter: $14,000 - $14,000 = $0 (What is $76?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Abby: $14,200 - $13,199 = $1,001 (What is 76 [on next line] 5+1+20=26+50=76) (2nd place: $2,000)
Francis: $20,000 - $8,401 = $11,599 (What is $76?) (2-day champion: $40,000)
(Alex: All three of you forgot the all-important--and I love the bill--the Thomas Jefferson $2 bill. The correct response is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Francis: $16,600, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Abby: $14,200, 17 R, 2 W
Peter: $12,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Francis: 24/60 = .400
Abby: 17/58 = .293
Peter: 16/59 = .271
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OLD TESTAMENT WOMEN $400: Hadassah was the Hebrew name of this queen for whom an Old Testament book is named
(Abby: Who is Ruth?)

OLD TESTAMENT WOMEN $800: Ms. Winfrey was supposed to be called this, after a Moabite woman in the book of Ruth
(Francis: Who is Naomi?)

PUT ON A SUIT $400: The rounded & angled collar seen here is named for this stylish coach

WHERE YA FROM? $800: This poet who depicted the rural landscape of New England was born in San Francisco in 1874
(Francis: Who is Walt Whitman?)

BOOKS' SUBTITLES $1200: Barack Obama:
"A Story of Race and Inheritance"
(Francis: What is Dreams of My Father?)

A "LITTLE" LEARNING $1600: When "ranking" on Napoleon, use this epithet he was given in 1796
(Abby: What is "the Little Colonel"?)

BODY WORKS $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) Of the spinal column's 24 movable vertebrae, half are located here, in the chest region, & are labeled T1 through T12, the "T" standing for this

BODY WORKS $1600: Of the body's 2 chief kinds of glands, this type secretes hormones directly into the blood
(Francis: What are adrenal glands?)

BODY WORKS $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates the clue in the lab.) Muscles that pull a body part away from the midline of the body, like the ones that allow me to move my legs apart, are said to be this type

CORRECT RESPONSES
Frank Lloyd Wright
Costco
pockets
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
Germany
sultana
$78
Esther
Orpah
Pat Riley
Robert Frost
Dreams from My Father
"the Little Corporal"
thoracic
endocrine glands
abductors
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billy pilgrim »

I'm guessing that today's contestants would have been wise to figure out the air date for the game, and know some things about a famous event that happened on this date.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I've precalled FJ responses before, but never the actual FJ clue, until today. :)

Good game (as long as you ignore the stupid Dancing with the Stars category) with three solid contestants. I'd be curious to hear Francis's thoughts on his last DD wager - it seemed like he made it and then immediately rolled his eyes in regret. But it worked out in the end...

(Out of curiosity, were contestants explicitly told not to break out their wallets to study during the final commercial break?)
Wingnut52
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Wingnut52 »

What were the categories today? I missed it.. remember any questions?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The weather knocked my satelite out right after the interviews but came back just in time for the last DD. Bad wager there, but it worked out.

FJ was pretty simple. Bad wagering there as well.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Bad FJ wager by the middle player, who had $14000. In his place I would have bet just $201, which would get the win on the TS.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Final J! reminded me (even before the clue was shown) of a memorable (to me) recent question on syndicated Millionaire.
Since I am one of the keepers of the transcripts over on the WWTBAM Bored, here is the question from 11/1/11.
Spoiler
Question 9- Level 8 Counting Faces
What is the lowest sum of U.S. paper money you can have with three different presidents pictured on the front?
A. 6 dollars B. 8 dollars
C. 13 dollars D. 16 dollars

contestant Chris McKeever, in a smug tone of voice, said, "I bet they wanted me to forget about a $2 bill, but I didn't"
Answer: B. 8 dollars

Discussion:
http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36968

I actually solved that one on my own and before this clue was revealed, I reminded myself not to forget about the $2 bill. Nevertheless, I started to count w/o the $2 then quickly added in the $2 at the end!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. Money Math
Adding up the denominations of circulating bills with U.S. Presidents on the front gives you this total.
Spoiler
What is $78? (1+2+5+20+50) All three players said $76, leaving out the $2 bill.
Francis Lansangan: $20,000-$8,401=$11,599...now a 2-day champion with $40,000
Abby Drwecki: $14,200-$13,199=$1,001
Peter Jury: $14,000-$14,000=$0
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

They had a FInal J! clue twice about the amount of money you'd have if you had one each of the US's current printed paper currency, once in the mid 80s(not archived) and in June 2000(archived). The latter time it was a triple stumper, I don't remember how many if any got it right in the mid 80s.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Boy, you escaped with that one, Francis.

Me? I had the $2, but threw an extra $100 on there. Oops.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I didn't forget about the $2 bill, but for some reason I couldn't decide if it would count or not. I quickly wrote down $76 and $78, then spent the remaining 20 seconds or so trying to decide what "circulating" meant. I was pretty sure that the $2 bill isn't printed anymore, but for some reason I couldn't decide if that meant that it was currently in circulation or not. I stupidly went the wrong direction, and I don't even really know why. I thought maybe the trick they were trying to pull was getting people to incorrectly include the $2 bill, rather than incorrectly exclude it. Stupid me.

This was a pretty good game from all 3 players. Peter did a great job getting back in the game early in the DJ round, and it a was a heck of a 3-way race for the remainder of the game. Francis did make what I thought was a questionable wager on the final DD, but it worked out okay for him. The scores were 16000-14200-14000, with Francis leading and only a $2,000 clue left on the board. He bet $4,000, and the final clue was a triple stumper. I was thinking that his ideal bet would have been something above 200 but less than 1800, so that if he got it right he would still have the lead if either of his opponents got the final clue (as long as he didn't miss it first), and if he got it wrong he would still have the lead if the final clue was a triple stumper, which it was. His $4000 bet meant that if he was wrong, he wouldn't be able to get back into the lead even if he got the last clue.

As for the FJ wagers, yikes! Either one of the trailing players could have bet small enough to win on a Francis miss, and neither took advantage of that option. Abby not only bet too much to beat the $11,599 that Francis dropped to, but she didn't even bet enough to cover Peter if he doubled his score. I don't know if that was a math error or a strategic error, but I have no idea why she picked the number that she did. In my opinion, she should have bet either 0, 199, 2600, 13801, or everything. Anything between 2600 and 13801 served absolutely no purpose. Peter definitely should have bet no more than 2400, and something like 300 or 500 wouldn't have been a bad idea just to cover a 0 bet by Abby in case they both got it right.

Is a lumberjack the same thing as a logger?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

First off, thank you writers for helping (if in the tiniest way) to correct that Alexander Pope misquote for the masses. If even one person goes to double check the citation, it was worth it.

I had 78 for FJ right away, but wasn't sure I was right until 76 was ruled wrong. Really had no idea if the 2s had been pulled back or not.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

No idea about FJ : said 150 just to have something.

Eh! Who knows? I might win the jackpot at the lottery too ;-(

But I was told by American friends when I visited that the US didn't have a $2 bill...
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Paucle wrote:First off, thank you writers for helping (if in the tiniest way) to correct that Alexander Pope misquote for the masses. If even one person goes to double check the citation, it was worth it.

I had 78 for FJ right away, but wasn't sure I was right until 76 was ruled wrong. Really had no idea if the 2s had been pulled back or not.
I think they specified "circulating" to eliminate the $500, $1,000, and $5,000 bills. --Bob
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

alietr wrote:Boy, you escaped with that one, Francis.

Me? I had the $2, but threw an extra $100 on there. Oops.
I remembered the $100 as having McKinley on it (he was on the now-retired $500). Foolishness, since it is really is all about the Benjamins. But I would've zeroed the bet for that category, because knowing you have dyscalculia is really not half the battle in overcoming it, but it does mean that this kind of choice is easy.

I did well on this one, especially first round. That Feminist Biblical Interpretation class I took in grad school sure paid off, although I'm pretty sure I would've known those regardless. I did shout "That's FRAHNK-en-steen!" when Peter (?) prounced the book's title correctly. I kind of wished the "Put on a suit" category had been "Suit Up!" perhaps even with Neil Patrick Harris giving the clues. Liked the litle interplay on horizontal vs. sideways between Francis and Mr. Trebek.

Nice high totals for all three competitors; too bad FJ jammed them up so badly. And Francis lives to play another day, finally breaking the one-and-done streak.

(Incidentally, I posted something like this earlier, but it got lost in the shuffle and I'm not seeing it here. So if it is here, but invisible to me, I apologize for making a double post. I had some trouble with another forum earlier today, so now I'm kind of concerned about that kind of thing. I'm sure I'll get over it.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bob78164 wrote:
Paucle wrote:I had 78 for FJ right away, but wasn't sure I was right until 76 was ruled wrong. Really had no idea if the 2s had been pulled back or not.
I think they specified "circulating" to eliminate the $500, $1,000, and $5,000 bills. --Bob
Understood. I just wasn't sure if the "new" $2 bills were still issued, or if they'd also been discontinued again. Technically, you can still get a William, Grover, or James. Just not from any bank.
Wow, just saw the clue again- is "circulating" really the phrasing, verbatim? Yikes. That might've created a problem had someone offered $6,778 as an answer. Those larger values are still in circulation, still legal tender, just not issued anymore.If you owe someone 500, you can still use a McKinley to clear the debt. Of course, it'd be far more beneficial to sell the note to a collector and keep the extra, which could be as much as the debt itself.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bob78164 wrote:
Paucle wrote:First off, thank you writers for helping (if in the tiniest way) to correct that Alexander Pope misquote for the masses. If even one person goes to double check the citation, it was worth it.

And the $100,000 bill.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

BTW, I was afraid FJ was going to be a Visual FJ with Patricia Heaton offering the clue...
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/55070 ... illionaire

ETA: anyone who loves math, have no sharp objects at hand while viewing
Last edited by Paucle on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman, it was never about the Woodrows. They never circulated among the public, they were for financial institutions only.