Friday, February 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7460, 2017-02-03

Lisa Schlitt game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Marion Montgomery, a library assistant from Huntsville, Alabama
Tyler Johnson, a political science professor from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Lisa Schlitt, a microbiologist from Berwyn, Pennsylvania (whose 5-day cash winnings total $112,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I've been trying to figure out how to express how I feel about our current champion, Lisa. In a very quiet and unspectacular manner, this young lady has proven to be a juggernaut. 5 consecutive victories. Over $100,000. That's impressive. So Tyler and Marion, look out. She's good. You know that. Let's go to work in the first round. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE JEOPARDY! SORTING HAT (4/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NUMERICAL PHRASES (5/5)
TELEVISION CITY (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the shows, you give us the city in which they were mainly set in the category...)
Q PEOPLE (3/5)
THE END OF THE STORY (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 11 R, 0 W
Tyler: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Marion: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marion found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Lisa had $2,600, Tyler had $1,800, and Marion was at $1,600. Marion made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

AMERICAN HISTORY $800: This 4-word motto saying watch your step was on many early American flags

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marion: $3,200
Lisa: $2,600
Tyler: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Marion Montgomery is a library assistant from Alabama. Now librarians are usually quiet, soft people, but you have an impish sense of humor, I fear. You taught your cat to do what?

Marion: I taught her how to play dead when I made a gun and shot her. [makes gun gesture with her hand]

[Laughter]

Alex: What would the cat do, go "Oh!"? [clutches heart and leans backwards]

Marion: At first, you would go, "Bang," and she would fall dead, but at the time I didn't really, truly understand psychology, and she started shaping her own behavior, and it ended up being like a "Whoa!" and a death wail, and she would fall over.

[Laughter]

Alex: She was training you. You didn't train her. I know all about cats. I love 'em.

Alex: Tyler Johnson, political science professor from Oklahoma. Big movie fan, particularly Best Picture winners for the Oscars.

Tyler: Yes, I've seen each of them.

Alex: Every one?

Tyler: Every single Best Picture winner.

Alex: First one was--

Tyler: Wings, yeah. You can only watch it on YouTube, I believe.

Alex: Really.

Tyler: Or that's how it was a few years ago.

Alex: Maybe on Turner Classic Movies you can watch it also.

Tyler: Hopefully.

Alex: And of all of the movies, which one is your favorite?

Tyler: I think that--

Alex: Mine's an Oscar winner, that's why I ask.

Tyler: I think that my favorite would have to be--The Godfather is probably at the top of the list.

Alex: With me it's How Green Was My Valley.

Tyler: An excellent choice.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Lisa Schlitt. She's our champion. She has a pet spider. You have a pet spider? What kind of spider are we talking about?

Lisa: I used to have a pet spider.

Alex: Oh, sure.

Lisa: Yeah. It was actually for class in college. I took a course on spiders, and part of it was you got to have a pet spider and observe the behavior. So I had a little jumping spider. It's called a Phidippus. He's a little black, fuzzy guy, and with big eyes, and he actually was adorable.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Lisa: I don't know.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE JEOPARDY! SORTING HAT $1000: The hat is all abuzz; you are now a member of this tiniest insect variety of hummingbirds

Q PEOPLE $200: Later executed as a traitor, he took power in Norway in 1940
(Marion: Who is Quiznos?)

Q PEOPLE $600: In 2009 Mary Quant helped launch a Royal Mail stamp series that included this revealing 1960s item she designed

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lisa: $6,000
Tyler: $5,600
Marion: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TITLE OF THE MOVIE ESCAPES ME (5/5)
SCIENTIFIC MILESTONES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE NEXT U.N. MEMBER, ALPHABETICALLY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
20th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS (2/4)
SILENT N (4/5)
THE OCCIDENT EXPRESS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tyler: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Lisa: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Marion: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Lisa had $6,400, Tyler had $4,800, and Marion was at $3,200. Lisa wagered $1,400.

SCIENTIFIC MILESTONES $1200: Henri Becquerel was all aglow when he won the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics for discovering this property of matter

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tyler who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Lisa had $10,200, Tyler had $12,400, and Marion was at $3,600. Tyler wagered $2,400.

THE NEXT U.N. MEMBER, ALPHABETICALLY $1200: After Fiji

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENTIFIC MILESTONES $800: Heavy, man: Antoine Lavoisier made the Law of Conservation of this one of the foundations of modern chemistry
(Marion: What is energy?)
(Tyler: What is gas?)

SCIENTIFIC MILESTONES $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an animation of the Breakthrough Starshot project on the monitor.) Promoted by Stephen Hawking, the Breakthrough Starshot project seeks to accelerate tiny spacecraft to one-fifth lightspeed, using focused beams from an array of lasers, sending them on a 20-year journey to this nearby star system
(Lisa: What is Proxima Centauri?)

SILENT N $2000: To represent in drawing of painting; it's 4 letters & you know the last 2 are "mn"-- don't let us down!

THE NEXT U.N. MEMBER, ALPHABETICALLY $1600: After Ecuador

THE OCCIDENT EXPRESS $2000: This "mighty good" line's passenger trains were known as rockets; it was "the road to ride"

20th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS $800: Lauren Harris's "Above Lake Superior" is a work by this country's Group of Seven

20th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS $1600: Magritte said, "To be" this type of artist means "being always on the lookout for what has never been"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tyler: $18,400
Lisa: $13,400
Marion: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Tyler: Wager $8,401 to cover Lisa, but no more than $10,399 so as not to fall behind Marion's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $401.
Lisa: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,400 (martian), and you'll win the game if Tyler wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Marion: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His official website says, "It is forty years since I hung up my cloak and dagger"

FINAL SCORES
Marion: $4,000 + $3,900 = $7,900 (Who is Le Carre) (3rd place)
Lisa: $13,400 + $13,400 = $26,800 (Who is John Le Carré?) (112301-day champion: $26,800)
Tyler: $18,400 - $8,401 = $9,999 (Who is Rushdie) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tyler: $17,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lisa: $13,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Marion: $3,200, 7 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Tyler: 22/59 = .373
Lisa: 20/59 = .339
Marion: 8/59 = .136
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE JEOPARDY! SORTING HAT $200: Well done! You've been selected to this major branch of the U.S. government whose top members are appointed for life
(Marion: What is the Supreme Court?)

Q PEOPLE $400: It's the year the "Q" man seen here was elected vice-president of the United States
(Alex: Dan Quayle.)

Q PEOPLE $800: In 1956 director Jose Quintero staged the first Broadway production of this "Long" Eugene O'Neill play
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

THE END OF THE STORY $800: This Donna Tartt novel ends with a reward for Theo & his friend Boris for returning the stolen title painting
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE TITLE OF THE MOVIE ESCAPES ME $1600: In 204 these 2 pals "Go to White Castle"; in 2008 they "Escape from Guantanamo Bay"
(Marion: Who are Kenan and Kel?)

THE OCCIDENT EXPRESS $1600: Switzerland's Glacier Express travels between Zermatt & this saintly resort twice home to the Winter Olympics
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
don't tread on me
bee hummingbirds
Vidkun Quisling
the miniskirt
radioactivity
Finland
mass
Alpha Centauri
limn
Egypt
Rock Island line
Canada
a surrealist
John le Carré
the judicial branch
Long Day's Journey Into Night
The Goldfinch
Harold and Kumar
St. Moritz
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His official website says, “It is forty years since I hung up my cloak and dagger”

Lisa Schlitt: 13400+13400=26800 (6x = $139,100)
Tyler Johnson: 18400-8401=9999
Marion Montgomery: 4000+3900=7900

Correct response:
Spoiler
John le Carré (Lisa – John La Carré [(Le) with little arrow pointing up to “La” was added below her response] (Tyler – Rushdie)
Daily Doubles
Marion: 1600+1600
Lisa: 6400+1400
Tyler: 12400+2400

Coryats
Lisa: 13200
Tyler: 17200
Marion: 3200

Combined: 33,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Based on the recap, we're gonna get another "Lisa Friday Face". :)

And the ToC tracker is void of 5-timers again. Ah, well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"12th man", "judicial", and "Quisling" struck me as undervalued at $200. I'm pretty sure "quisling" was a TS the last time it was in the box too.

That said, "Quiznos" for "Quisling" was one of the more amusing misses in a while.

"Ten-foot pole" was the only one of those numerical phrases I recognized.

"Dab" seemed like a cromulent neg on Artists for $400.

Alphabetically Next categories are absolutely bullshit. There's no possible way to filter through a billion countries and pick the next one unless you're a freaking machine. I was either going too far ahead in the alphabet, or not far enough. "Fiji? Fj, fk, fl, fm, fn, fo... nope, still nothing." "Ecuador... Ec, ed, ee, ef, nope, nothing, I give up."

Lake Superior + country had me completely baffled. I wasn't expecting it to actually be a country that Lake Superior borders.

Lach Trash: miniskirt (Mary Quant passes my Hawley-Smoot filter), mass.

Don't recognize the FJ! response.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. Seemed like the kind of slam dunk clue you hate to see when you're in 2nd place, guess not. Thought she was a goner, but instead, welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Lisa. For a while, I was wondering if the TOC would include any women at all.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I can see where Tyler was going so it's a shame that he just went down the wrong path.

And I sort of think that 40 years ago was when Mr. Rushdie started with cloak and dagger - out of necessity.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Bah. I just went the wrong route in trying to solve FJ!, leading me down a path with no good answer. I was stuck on vampire novels, and then trying to think of a man who wrote vampire novels younger than Bram Stoker. Never really noticed until now how women-dominated that field is.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Based on the recap, we're gonna get another "Lisa Friday Face". :)

And the ToC tracker is void of 5-timers again. Ah, well.
There was surprise on Lisa's face, but nothing compared to last Friday.

There have been very few players on J! in regular play willing to go all in on a five-figure Daily Double. It's easy to say after the game that Tyler should have gone for it in a limited and hint healthy THE NEXT U.N. MEMBER, ALPHABETICALLY, but with those extra seconds of sole thinking time more players should be prepared to perhaps make such a maneuver in the right situation (5x champ who technically does not miss the FJ! clues) and right category.

No matter what Lisa's pet phidippus spider looked like, no thank you. She got past contradicting Alex that the spider was in the past and not current as Alex said it.

Marion may want to duck out at certain points of any potential viewing party as Quiznos for Quisling and Kenan & Kel for Harold & Kumar were howlers.

Was miniskirt a stumper because of the possibility of hotpants or the players did not know where to go with Mary Quant? I'll go with the latter.

John le Carré quickly on the FJ! response for me and I used a bit of think time just to make sure it could not be the deceased Robert Ludlum. Rushdie as a miss I did not anticipate. I'll be curious to see any other misses as other than no way Dan Brown, I've got nothing.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
43 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Vidkun Quisling, miniskirt, mass, Alpha Centauri, limn, Canada, surrealist

More great play from the champ. No chance for me on FJ! LOL at Quizno's.
Sprinkles are for winners.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Didn't expect Lisa to run the week after Monday.
No get on FJ... Unlike some FJ clues this week, this clue was better.
Even Marion realized her mistake as soon as Quiznos.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Was there something in the clue that made Proxima Centauri wrong?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

46R + FJ. LT: Bee Hummingbird, Vidkun Quisling, Mary Quant > miniskirt, conservation of mass, nanobots to Alpha Centauri (recently featured in Discover mag!), limn, Canada, Ecuador > Egypt, surrealist. No get on Rock Island Line. Recognized 'branch of govt' >> judiciary rather than SCOTUS! Further illogical wagering + LUCK >>> champ retains her title. Well-played, regardless. :P

IMHO Lisa should've gotten credit for Proxima Centauri, it's part of the AC system after all. Sheesh! :cry:

TPH, a word: Because you don't get a clue doesn't make it BS, so colorful and descriptive. Maybe 'crapshoot' would be more apropos. Come on, man! :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Sorting (3), TV (3), History (5), Number (2), Q People (3), Story (3)
Movie (4), Science (2), U.N. (1), 20th Century Art (1), Silent N (4), Occident (4)

Lach Trash: Quisling, miniskirt

I went down the horror route instead and said Stephen King.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I was pretty surprised no one got the rebound on Alpha Centauri or Canada.
Marion was just one bad neg away from being in contention for a singleton win from 3rd.

This is the third game in which Lisa has benefited from the leader not coming up with a correct FJ. In each of these Finals, she has bet the farm when it wasn't in her best interest to do so. The only FJ clue she has missed so far, came when she had a slim margine lock.
One of her greatest strengths in regular play is deadly buzzer reflex to go with a good knowledge span, but it can't be denied she's had a good share of luck helping her get this far.
JMO
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I had oratory for rhetoric. Judges? I'm inclined to give it to myself; the clue was "In the 1st century Roman teacher Quintilian wrote a key work on this art of persuasive speaking". The work appears to be Institutio Oratoria. Some further sleuthing reveals that Quintilian used both "oratory" and "rhetoric" interchangeably in it, so typing this out I guess it's good.

No chance on FJ for me, never heard of the guy. Tyler was crazy fast on those country clues -- I don't pause on DDs, so no idea if I would have gotten that or not as he gave the answer practically before I had finished processing the clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:John le Carré quickly on the FJ! response for me and I used a bit of think time just to make sure it could not be the deceased Robert Ludlum. Rushdie as a miss I did not anticipate. I'll be curious to see any other misses as other than no way Dan Brown, I've got nothing.
Le Carre was my first thought, but I did ponder Follett for a few seconds.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was one of those where I knew who it was but couldn't pull the name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:John le Carré quickly on the FJ! response for me and I used a bit of think time just to make sure it could not be the deceased Robert Ludlum. Rushdie as a miss I did not anticipate. I'll be curious to see any other misses as other than no way Dan Brown, I've got nothing.
Since watching I thought of one more possible name, Frederick Forsyth.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
Since watching I thought of one more possible name, Frederick Forsyth.
Indeed, that was my guess.