Tuesday, February 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7462, 2017-02-07

CONTESTANTS
Lauren Michniacki, a consumer insights manager from Chicago, Illinois
Jody Jabbora, a retired postal clerk from Las Vegas, Nevada
Jill Rausch, a captioner from Phoenix, Arizona (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Welcome to our show. I know many of you over the past week and a half grew very fond of Lisa, the microbiologist, who left us yesterday after winning 6 games and $140,000. But not to worry. You'll see her again in our next Tournament of Champions. The giant killer from yesterday is Jill, and today she defends for the first time against Jody and Lauren. Good luck, ladies. Let's go to work.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUZZLERS (5/5)
NORTH AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ON THE MOVIE'S SOUNDTRACK (4/5)
CITIES (4/5)
CAPTAINS (5/5)
OF INDUSTRY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jill: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jody: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Lauren: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jill: $3,400
Lauren: $2,000
Jody: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lauren Michniaki is from Chicago, but she and her dad have a brick at the Corvette museum, which is located where?

Lauren: It's in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Alex: And why do you have a brick there? What does that mean?

Lauren: Growing up, my dad and I always had a fondness for classic muscle cars, especially American. He had a 1984 red Corvette. You can watch me grow up in the picture in front of it every year, so it's almost like a flip book. So when the museum opened, it was just something we wanted to do together.

Alex: Good for you. That's nice.

Alex: Jody Jabbora from Las Vegas, Nevada, has a friend who does something that I did on a few occasions. Lectures on cruise ships.

Jody: Yes. My dear friend Cookie.

Alex: And she takes you along?

Jody: She does. She can have a companion, and her boyfriend, fortunately, is a stick in the mud. He won't go. So I have been to--

Alex: What does she lecture on?

Jody: Fraud.

Alex: On fraud. That's interesting.

Jody: Yes, yeah. Variety of fraud.

Alex: Now, have you ever thought, because you're a retired postal worker, have you ever thought about lecturing about that subject?

Jody: I don't think anyone would be interested.

Alex: You'd be surprised. Good to have you with us today, though.

Alex: Jill Rausch is a captioner from Phoenix, Arizona. Are we talking about closed captions on television or something else?

Jill: That is what we're talking about, yes.

Alex: Self-assessment--are you good at it?

Jill: I am good at it, yes, Alex.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jill found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Jill had $5,400, Jody had $2,200, and Lauren was at $3,400. Jill wagered $1,800.

NORTH AMERICAN HISTORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) In the 1700s, stretching from Labrador through Montreal and all the down into what's now Louisiana, was the territory known as New this country

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON THE MOVIE'S SOUNDTRACK $1000: Adam Levine singing "Lost Stars", Keira Knightley doing "Tell Me If You Wanna Go Home"

CITIES $800: In 1881 Vincent van Gogh moved to this Dutch city, home to the royal family

OF INDUSTRY $600: Labor strikes by the I.W.W., AKA these "unsteady" types, hindered the timber boom in Montana's Flathead Valley

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jill: $9,200
Jody: $3,600
Lauren: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE FIRST PLACE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOTS (5/5)
MAN BOOKER PRIZE WINNERS (1/2)
EYE HEALTH (4/5)
MILESTONE BIRTHDAYS 2017 (5/5)
A 3 "S" ASSESSMENT (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lauren: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jody: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Jill: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jody snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Jill had $12,400, Jody had $9,600, and Lauren was at $6,400. Jody wagered $2,000.

IN THE FIRST PLACE $1200: This area in the title of perhaps the most famous WWI novel saw the war's first major gas attack on April 22, 1915
(Jody: What is All Quiet on [*][/i]?)
(Alex: You gave us the title of the book, and the correct response is [*]. You included the correct information. That's right.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A 3 "S" ASSESSMENT $400: It describes the contest seen here
(Jody: Let's say, what's a baseball game?)

A 3 "S" ASSESSMENT $2000: A condition of balance leading to motionlessness

IN THE FIRST PLACE $800: He staged his first Wild West show in North Platte, Nebraska on July 4, 1882
(Jody: Who is Wild Bill Hickok?)

IN THE FIRST PLACE $2000: This small Asian nation's independence day on May 20, 2002 made it the first new country of the 21st century

EYE HEALTH $2000: Near- or farsightedness is measured using this, the unit of lens power
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

MAN BOOKER PRIZE WINNERS $1200: In 1993 it was a laughing matter when Roddy Doyle got Booker-ed for "Paddy Clarke" these 3 words

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jody: $13,600
Jill: $12,400
Lauren: $9,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE U.S. GOVERNMENT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jody: Wager $11,201 to cover Jill.
Jill: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Lauren, hoping that you give the correct response and Jody doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,001 to cover Lauren's doubled score, but no more than $10,000 if you want to top Jody on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,199 and win if both Jody and Lauren miss Final.
Lauren: If you think Jill is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,800 to beat Jody and Jill on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Jill is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,201 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Jill) and $9,200 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Sawyers are an important part of the work force of this agency founded in 1905

FINAL SCORES
Lauren: $9,200 - $6,800 = $2,400 (What is Dept of Tra) (3rd place)
Jill: $12,400 - $6,001 = $6,399 (What is the FDA?) (2nd place)
Jody: $13,600 + $12,000 = $25,600 (What is the Forest Service) (New champion: $25,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jody: $12,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Jill: $11,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Lauren: $9,200, 15 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jill: 17/59 = .288
Jody: 17/59 = .288
Lauren: 15/58 = .259
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PUZZLERS $200: At the last minute

PUZZLERS $400: The heartland, the USA of regular folks
(Jody: What is America?)

PUZZLERS $600: To keep a web page secure, make it this

PUZZLERS $800: You need good brakes to do this

PUZZLERS $1000: A June 16, 1858 speech said it cannot stand

OF INDUSTRY $400: In 1892 this large modern corp. resulted from a merger of 3 entities including Thomas Edison's company
(Lauren: What is AT&T?)

OF INDUSTRY $1000: Before it was forcibly split into several companies, this Rockefeller petroleum co. was the USA's biggest
(Lauren: What is Monopoly?)

BOOTS $800: In 1958 Frank Marugg received a patent for a wheel clamp for "use in immobilizing a vehicle"; we now call it this
(Lauren: What is a parking boot?)
(Jody: What is an Oregon boot?)
[Both originally ruled incorrect; Lauren was ruled correct before Final Jeopardy! and consequently, Jody was not penalized for her incorrect response]

MILESTONE BIRTHDAYS 2017 $800: Feliz cumpleaños to this Colombian music superstar on her 40th
(Jill: Who is-- d'oh!)

MILESTONE BIRTHDAYS 2017 $1200: No word yet if this actor, nominated for an Oscar for playing Dorothy Michaels in 1982, will dress up as her for this 80th
(Alex: The film was Tootsie.)

MILESTONE BIRTHDAYS 2017 $1600: Maisie Williams, known for playing this feisty "Game of Thrones" character, turns 20 in 2017

MILESTONE BIRTHDAYS 2017 $2000: We hope this Ferris Bueller love interest gets the day off on June 19th for her 50th birthday

IN THE FIRST PLACE $400: For 12 days, in early 1924, Chamonix, France hosted the first of these sporting events
(Jody: What's the Tour de France?)

EYE HEALTH $1200: February is awareness month for this condition affecting the macula; it's a leading cause of vision loss for individuals 50 & over

EYE HEALTH $1600: A new type of plastic called hema allowed Bausch + Lomb to introduce these in 1971
(Jill: What are contact lenses?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jill: Uh... disposable?)

MAN BOOKER PRIZE WINNERS $800: In 1992 Michael Ondaatje did a Fiennes job with this novel about a burned, unnamed man being cared for at WWII's end
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
New France
Begin Again
the Hague
Wobblies
the western front
scoreless
stasis
Buffalo Bill Cody
East Timor
a diopter
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
the Forest Service
just in time
Middle America
password protected
stop on a dime
a house divided
General Electric
Standard Oil
a Denver boot
Shakira
Dustin Hoffman
Arya
Mia Sara
the Winter Olympics
macular degeneration
soft contact lenses
The English Patient
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE U.S. GOVERNMENT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Sawyers are an important part of the work force of this agency founded in 1905

Jill Rausch: 12400-6001=6399
Jody Jaborra: 13600+12000=25600 (New champ)
Lauren Michniacki: 9200-6800=2400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Forest Service (Jill – FDA) (Lauren – Dept of Tra)

Daily Doubles
Jill: 5400+1800
Jody: 8800+2000
Unrevealed

Coryats
Jill: 11400
Jody: 12800
Lauren: 9200

Combined: 33,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The women were not lacking for having fun and high energy in the game.

At the time of the DJ! round ending I thought it was a shame that the last Daily Double had stayed hidden since that clue had the potential to have an impact on the FJ! round. The way the FJ! round played out nothing the DD could have done would likely have impacted Jody's victory.

Yes the way the clue was worded I see why the judges had to accept parking boot. Denver boot is the term I've heard and used for the item I've seen on cars around town. Oregon boot? Nope.

The FJ! clue had me completely lost for anywhere to go. With time running down I tried going for humor off a Tom Sawyer connection, but had nothing to name for an agency associated with fences or caves. From there I switched gears to Huck Finn, rafting, water, Seabees, wanted something to go with Coast, and added Guard even though I knew that was much earlier.

Sawyer to saw = trees = forest was not going to happen for me and perhaps not even with multiple choice. Nice solve by Jody to take the title.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sawyer to saw = trees = forest was not going to happen for me and perhaps not even with multiple choice. Nice solve by Jody to take the title.
I was lost on Sawyer too.. Wasn't absolutely sure if it was about just sawing. Had nothing, but considered that it probably was to do with agriculture, interior, Forest, fish and wildlife. Probably would have chosen Forest if I was on the show, but couldn't decide in time today.

Surprised to see that Jill didn't build much on her great single J score.

NHO diopter. I thought the Western front DD was weirdly worded.. Need to see it again. New France DD was ridiculously easy.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I wonder how they would have judged "Close but not quite" FJ responses. I had Forestry Service. I wonder if that would have been close enough? As it is, I'm counting it wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So WLT Barcelona at $200 over Madrid? Unless you know Gaudi or Fountain of Aurora, which strike me as very obscure TOMs for $200, it could be any big city in Spain.

Ran the Puzzlers again. They're certainly easier than Idiotest.

I was pleased that "Boot Scootin' Boogie" was not a TS.

First Place for $400 seemed like negbait for Tour de France.

None of the words in this clue meant anything to me.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:Yes the way the clue was worded I see why the judges had to accept parking boot. Denver boot is the term I've heard and used for the item I've seen on cars around town. Oregon boot? Nope.
Whereas I'm pretty sure I've only ever heard it called a parking boot, never heard the term Denver boot in my life, and couldn't imagine why she was negged.

For FJ, sometimes it helps to think literally (out of desperation). Sawyer?? Err...a dude who saws? Which dept would need to cut down trees...probably quite a few, but trees -> forest -> Forest Service seemed like the simplest WAG. FJ solves are not always pretty.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Yes the way the clue was worded I see why the judges had to accept parking boot. Denver boot is the term I've heard and used for the item I've seen on cars around town. Oregon boot? Nope.
Whereas I'm pretty sure I've only ever heard it called a parking boot, never heard the term Denver boot in my life, and couldn't imagine why she was negged.

For FJ, sometimes it helps to think literally (out of desperation). Sawyer?? Err...a dude who saws? Which dept would need to cut down trees...probably quite a few, but trees -> forest -> Forest Service seemed like the simplest WAG. FJ solves are not always pretty.
I think it didn't click for me because it's pronounced SOY-er, and the "saw" root didn't register at all. That and I didn't know what the forest service is other than "some group who does something in the forest".
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The year in the FJ clue led me to an environmental connection, but I couldn't think of anything other than the EPA, which I knew wasn't that old.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I wonder how they would have judged "Close but not quite" FJ responses. I had Forestry Service. I wonder if that would have been close enough? As it is, I'm counting it wrong.
I did the same.

I would have liked to see the rest of the Man Booker Prize category. I knew the two we saw.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Sawyer to saw = trees = forest was not going to happen for me and perhaps not even with multiple choice. Nice solve by Jody to take the title.
I would have been fine with multiple choice, I think, best I could get to was the NPS.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I wonder how they would have judged "Close but not quite" FJ responses. I had Forestry Service. I wonder if that would have been close enough? As it is, I'm counting it wrong.
I said the same thing.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said "Army Corps of Engineers" just to say something.

I was surprised they accepted "All Quiet on the Western Front", but I'm ok with it as long as it's consistent.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm yet another one for "Forestry". I would have liked it to count, but it would be understandable (although heartbreaking) if it didn't.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. 48R. LT: Hague = Dutch royal residence; "parking boot" AKA Denver boot ACC; 'scoreless' game 3 s's; Buffalo Bill Cody; East Timor > First new nation of the 21st C: NHO "Wobblies." :shock: Turns out "I.W.W." is Industrial Workers of the World, but in Flathead, MT they were woodcutters, breaking TPTB Rule No. 1 of non-referntial material in boards to FJ! :o Digging pretty deep IMHO.... :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: None of the words in this clue meant anything to me.
Yes, 'important', 'work', and 'founded' are pretty challenging.

I'm glad Lauren survived the Bowling Green Massacre.

Instaget tonight, which was a bit gratifying after all the comments about last night's clue being so easy.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Can we poll for Denver boot and poster hometown? I've never heard that term in my life. It's either a parking boot or just a boot.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went from sawyer to saw to trees... to the National Park Service. So close, and yet so far.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Vowela wrote:I went from sawyer to saw to trees... to the National Park Service. So close, and yet so far.
Actually, a lot of folks get the two confused, especially when National Parks and National Forests are in close proximity. But NPS is part of Interior, and the USFS is under Agriculture.