Tuesday, February 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39/59 right.

Puzzle (4), History (4), Movies (4), Cities (3), Captains (5), Industry (4)
First (3), Boots (4), Prize (1), Eye (1), Birthday (4), Three S (2)

Lach Trash: Buffalo Bill Cody

I went with a last second guess of Department of Agriculture.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Got the FJ right off the bat and then fretted about the correct name of the National Park Service as an alternate. The 1905 seemed awful close to the date for that and Teddy Roosevelt's and Muir(?)'s time frame.

Hated the Puzzeler category and don't know how the contestants sorted it out. I quit looking at the visual clue and got the last two just teasing out the answer from the TOM. Ten minutes after the show I figured out the 200 dollar one contained the middle letters of "america" as a play on middle of the word and middle of the country.

You can't sneak "diopter" past a physicist. But it was a worthy TS.

I thought they butchered the judging on Western Front and the boot. It's just a boot, used as a verb and a noun.

The baseball scoreboard clue should have read "what type of baseball game", instead of "what type of contest". the old style iconic scoreboard was just negbait and even an improved clue was worth the 1600 or 2000 payoff.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Is is it just me, or were the clues much easier than usual? This felt like College Jeopardy difficulty, and I swept either 4 or 5 categories not counting the unfinished Man Booker column, which likely would have been another one.

I like the new champion and her happy reaction was great, but it's obvious that she is awful at wagering. Not only was her DD bet far too small, but she didn't properly double 2nd place's score in FJ, causing her to overbet for a cover. Oh well, this flaw didn't prevent Lisa Schlitt from becoming a super-champion.

LT: Wobblies, stasis, Buffalo Bill Cody

FJ: Went with FDA, even though I had at one point studied a bunch of different occupational names. Yuck.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

I went with FEMA for FJ because sawyer immediately made me think of people who work with saws, among other tools, but only to place them in rebuilding situations. If only I went one more step behind 2x4s and thought of their origin. *gently facepalms*

Ran Captains and North American History, so with that much I can be pleased as punch.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Actually, a lot of folks get the two confused, especially when National Parks and National Forests are in close proximity. But NPS is part of Interior, and the USFS is under Agriculture.
I was going to post this fact, but you beat me to it!

It's weird though, since I think of USDA as being associated with open spaces (e.g., farms and farm animals), not also forests. Forests would seem to scream "Interior," but nope, go figure...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $23,200
43 R/5 W
DD: 2/2
FJ: :(
LT: Wobblies, scoreless, Buffalo Bill Cody

I was shocked it took them so long to reverse the neg on parking boot, especially given that the first sentence of the first Google result for "Denver boot" is as follows: "A wheel clamp, also known as wheel boot, parking boot, or Denver boot, is a device that is designed to prevent vehicles from being moved."

"What is Aleppo?" Heh.

Tonight's episode once again proved that, as was brought up in the 1/26 episode discussion, "1949 novel" is a can't-miss J! Pavlov for 1984.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Ran the Puzzlers again. They're certainly easier than Idiotest.
They are now because I think they're running out of good puzzlers to use.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I was pleased that "Boot Scootin' Boogie" was not a TS.
Thought you'd weigh in on that. :)

Maybe you can weigh in on this, I thought the title was "Boot Scoot Boogie", no "in'" in there. That's how I have the song title on my iPhone (don't judge me, boardies) and that's how I recall the lyrics to be sung as well. As such I was fully expecting a reversal that never came. Is my recollection of the title wrong?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Huh, I would have expected people to know what a sawyer is making today's FJ pretty easy. I guess it's my turn to gloat after my FJ fail yesterday! :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Is my recollection of the title wrong?
Yep!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:"What is Aleppo?" Heh.
I think they could've made a more clever clue to go with this. Something about Gary Johnson getting grief for asking this question but you can pick up $1000.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I think it didn't click for me because it's pronounced SOY-er, and the "saw" root didn't register at all.
If only it had a rhyme that referred to a better known profession.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I would not be a good captioner. I thought Jody said her friend Cookie lectured on frogs, all types of frogs.

I didn't understand Alex's joke about "self-assessment."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Maybe you can weigh in on this, I thought the title was "Boot Scoot Boogie", no "in'" in there. That's how I have the song title on my iPhone (don't judge me, boardies) and that's how I recall the lyrics to be sung as well. As such I was fully expecting a reversal that never came. Is my recollection of the title wrong?
I have the CD; it's definitely "scootin'".
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Robert K S wrote:I would not be a good captioner. I thought Jody said her friend Cookie lectured on frogs, all types of frogs.

I didn't understand Alex's joke about "self-assessment."
All about the frog protection.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Huh, I would have expected people to know what a sawyer is making today's FJ pretty easy. I guess it's my turn to gloat after my FJ fail yesterday! :)
Even knowing sawyer, the problem for me was trying to figure out which agency they meant. I bounced around between Department of the Interior (thought it predated by a lot but wasn't sure and thought maybe it had gone by a different name?) and National Park Service, which I knew couldn't be right based on 100 year celebrations last year and Bureau of Land Management - but (figuratively) couldn't see the Forest Service for the trees.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I wonder how they would have judged "Close but not quite" FJ responses. I had Forestry Service. I wonder if that would have been close enough? As it is, I'm counting it wrong.
I know I've been negged before on clues when I THOUGHT I had the right answer for sure, but....

I was so sure it was "Forestry Service" that when Jody wrote "Forest Service" I thought AT would say something about "we'll accept that; we were looking for forestry."

I just HAVE to believe they would accept either.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Does anyone think that "National Forest Service" would be negged because it's the "U.S. Forest Service"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:I was so sure it was "Forestry Service" that when Jody wrote "Forest Service" I thought AT would say something about "we'll accept that; we were looking for forestry."
Same here. I even thought she might get the "Ooohhh, sohrry."

So that's 5 of us so far going with Forestry Service. Maybe this should be a poll question? I'd also be grateful for a persuasive argument for or against the response. At this point, I don't care if I'm right or wrong. I just want to know.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:I was so sure it was "Forestry Service" that when Jody wrote "Forest Service" I thought AT would say something about "we'll accept that; we were looking for forestry."
Same here. I even thought she might get the "Ooohhh, sohrry."

So that's 5 of us so far going with Forestry Service. Maybe this should be a poll question? I'd also be grateful for a persuasive argument for or against the response. At this point, I don't care if I'm right or wrong. I just want to know.
It's fairly simple to determine, isn't it? Google for significant uses of the term. What I see is that Google defaults a search for "forestry service", top result, to U.S. Forest Service. The uses of the actual phrase that I see are state agencies. So if the term has uses not covered by the clue but is not used by the actual agency, I think the correct ruling is clear.

Granted, there are a number of news results for "U.S.Forestry Service." Fake news!
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22fore ... ts&tbm=nws

Personally, I was pretty sure of what a sawyer does, but still couldn't think of an agency to go with that. As someone else said, I guess I was fixed on saws = construction... :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

countyguy wrote:Does anyone think that "National Forest Service" would be negged because it's the "U.S. Forest Service"?
Maybe, but I'd be more lenient with that since one could mean national Forest Service.