Wednesday, February 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37/59 right.

Debate (4), Proverb (3), Auto (2), NBA (4), K (2), Beets (1)
Begins (3), "F" Geography (5), Business (4), TV Movies (3), Authors (4), Idioms (2)

No Lach Trash. DD: John Jacob Astor

Instaget FJ because of the Union Jack.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,200
43 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: sucrose, Amy Tan*, John Jacob Astor

I really thought this was a gimme FJ!, but I see that others struggled with it. How many national anthems' titles does the average J! viewer know? Four, maybe? Of those, which seems lyrically the easiest to repurpose for another nation, particularly a monarchy? The Union Jack on the state flag provided added confirmation.

NHO "seven pillars."
TenPoundHammer wrote:Foxborough seemed very obscure for $400. There are dozens of towns in MA that are bigger and more prominent than it.
Not to anyone who watches the NFL, which is exactly where they placed the TOM.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here it is in slow motion:

https://youtu.be/-ijP1ymhvEY

Here's my analysis:

She does not clearly say "are". I respect the position that she intended to say "are" but slurred it as one often does. I'll just have to agree to disagree with anyone who still thinks she "clearly" says "are". It's not clear to me.

It's difficult if not impossible to hear the w in "were". I seem to catch it, if at all, on the end of the word "eyes" more than on the beginning of the word "were." However, stills from her pronunciation at least indicate the possibility that she formed the w. My guess is she swallowed it. It occurred on the inhale rather than the exhale.

As an experiment, try saying "Their eyes were watching God" several times in a row. If you're like me, it's easy to find the w in "were" turning into little more than a breath. But your lips will form the w even if it's not particularly audible. If you say "Their eyes are watching God," your lips will NOT form a w before the word "are".

I believe both arguments are plausible. That being the case, I believe it would have been unfair to deprive her of points without allowing her an opportunity to restate her response.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Me, finishing DJ round: *grumble, grumble* as I put down my click pen before the last clue's answer is even revealed, as my total Coryat ($15, 800) is ridiculously low (lowest in several weeks).
Alex: Our Final Jeopardy! category is ... NATIONAL ANTHEMS!
Me: Hell-o! *mentally bet everything plus the other players' scores*

Then when the question is revealed I have a Lisa Schlitt-like look of astonishment creeping over my face, wondering how on earth anyone besides myself can ever get that question. (Alex gives comments after the Think Music is done. "Oh, right, the flag!")

I knew it because I wrote about that very fact on my website a few years back (spent a good month immersed in Hawaiian anthems research to make the pages I have on there about the history of Hawaii's anthem). I still maintain (unless I missed something in the discussion) that I'm the only one that got it completely forgetting about the link to the flag.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

opusthepenguin wrote:Post
I appreciate you posting clips to give people a chance to listen to it and form their own opinion, both normal speed and slow-mo. But even when I try to listen extra hard for the "were", it's clearly "are". Anyways, I don't blame the contestant. It's the judges who screwed up very badly here.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

JLJ wrote:
I don't think it's a horrible WAG on this one, as the general time period for the song and the Queen's quote are about right. I think with a little more consideration, though, it's pretty reasonable to get to the correct response on this one.
Agreed, since the clue is telling us that it's somebody else's national anthem we want (so not Aloha Oe), and the UK's seemed to me much the likeliest, all things considered.
I'm smart and I want respect.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This is one of those FJs that I feel like I should have gotten in retrospect. Instead, I settled on Japan. My logic = lots of Japanese people in Hawaii, so that's why.

Of the DDs, I don't remember any of them, but I don't think I got any right, either.

So far I am 0/3 this week on FJs. I'm looking forward to another shutout.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

You know...as a resident of Hawaii, you would think I would know about this final. *Does the Ricky Gervais sarcastic laugh from Night at the Museum* NO! This one completely threw me off the rails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LupiIpft8fc This is where the laugh came from.

How many games had oddball wagers that have we seen throughout the season where they don't come up with reasons to try and at least cover behind the other players? I counted 14 in total.

It just blows my mind and makes me want to destroy my nutsack completely because of the foolhardy wagers this season's been providing.

Monday's was ridiculous because 1st place didn't think of the other strategy should 3rd got his response right in a solo get, and Jill would have lost. Either way you put it, she didn't even bother trying to bet enough to beat Lisa because that would have kept Lisa a 7-time champ if she had it right.

Here, Kirstin doesn't bother with betting enough to cover Jody's doubled wager. If Jody had that right along with Kirstin, she would have lost. I'm literally losing my marbles while going Markiplier insane while looking on here.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Looks like I'm the first to pick up the Kochel number LT. The funny thing is that I studied it only last night! After missing the Grand Canyon Suite on Monday I decided to spend some more time on classical music, and this was the result.

Missed FJ, picking the Spanish national anthem.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

rpg wrote:Missed FJ, picking the Spanish national anthem.
La Marcha Real (if I'm remembering correctly)?

I was hoping the clue would have something to do with Jana Gana Mana, but alas...

Apparently sometime in the last ~30 years, I completely forgot what the Hawaiian flag looks like, so that was no help. And lately I've been having a hard time connecting the FJ clues to the categories -- for instance, tonight I failed to realize they wanted a song that was another nation's anthem, and not just, y'know, a song.

The Amy Fan thing made me a little more sympathetic to the Berenstain Bears conspiracy theorists. Sure, we all know they were just spectacularly unobservant as children, but I was all set to tell people I'm from the Amy Tan universe if it hadn't been reversed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn't notice it live, but it sounds like "are" to me watching Opus' video. I did hear him say Amy Phan, but thought it was my imagination until Alex reversed him.

TPH-If you can't remember his last name, just call him Lew Alcindor, as it would still fit the clue.

Good job by the writers picking the Super Bowl winner and getting them in a clue this week.

I got FJ right away and put down Queen, though I wasn't sure when they became independent. I am sure they'd have taken King, not sure about UK anthem.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:I know Hawaii used to be the Sandwich Islands, so that gives me the UK, so God Save the King (which I think is what it actually was)/Queen.
Actually Victoria was on the throne then (Albert died I believe shortly before the Civil War (and of course Vickie did just after the 20th century started) if that helps any of y'all to remember when she was on the throne.)
nlw44 wrote:I had the same dilemma about King/Queen for the anthem title, but everything I've seen online seems to indicate "King," probably referring to the king of Hawaii. After all, this is supposedly during the time that Hawaii was independent, at least nominally, so the sex of the monarch of the UK was irrelevant, right?
Well, they just used the melody of GSTQ, they didn't use the words, so they didn't even call it that. (They used their own words which are kind-of-sort-of the same.)
Bamaman wrote:I got FJ right away and put down Queen, though I wasn't sure when they became independent. I am sure they'd have taken King, not sure about UK anthem.
Considering GSTK was the original title and has been the title for most of the anthem's history ... ;) (Although, given that in my anthems collection, where I have 43 (I counted) different versions of the UK anthem, I only have two where they are singing God Save the King.)
Bamaman wrote:TPH-If you can't remember his last name, just call him Lew Alcindor, as it would still fit the clue.
I don't know, Kareem Abdul Jabbar is very Harley-Smoot-esque (*I have my own Harley-Smoot trap which helped me when I was a kid to remember Kareem's name. Hakeem Olaijawon (yes I know that's a misspelling, spellcheck, but I don't know how it's spelled!) is caught in the same trap.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

rpg wrote:Looks like I'm the first to pick up the Kochel number LT. The funny thing is that I studied it only last night! After missing the Grand Canyon Suite on Monday I decided to spend some more time on classical music, and this was the result.
What's weird is that I was just explaining to my wife Opus (Op.) vs Kochel (K.) vs BWV earlier in the day. How timely.

I got to the "right" FJ answer quickly through Cook, and then spent the rest of the time debating which choice to put down:
- UK National Anthem
- Great Britain National Anthem
- God Save the King
- God Save the Queen

I eventually went w/ the last choice.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

dhkendall wrote:
Considering GSTK was the original title and has been the title for most of the anthem's history ...
By a pretty narrow margin, though - the song was written in 1745 and has therefore been GSTK for 143 years and GSTQ for 129. My reasoning was "Victoria was queen of the UK at the time, Liliuokalani herself was a queen, and Elizabeth II today is a queen, so they likely want 'Queen.'" I suspect GSTK might have been ruled correct, though.

On Kirstin and Their Eyes etc. - To my surprise, I think I do hear the faintest hint of a W in the slow-motion version. I certainly did not hear it at the time and expected a reversal. To resolve it, it almost seems to require an honor system - ask Kirstin during the break what the title of the book is. If she says the correct title, assume that she meant to say that before. But if she says the wrong title, then you know that was what she meant before.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Proverbs for $200 was total negbait since "king of Israel" is going to be pavlovian for David at $200 about 99% of the time.
You sure on that? Solomon is known for being the wisest man on earth, for building the 1st temple (it was called 'Solomon's Temple'), for writing the book of Proverbs, for the Queen of Sheba visit, for the story of the two mothers, and his Kingdom was actually much larger in area than at the time of his father, David.

I'd say "King of Israel" is about 60% David, 35% Solomon,and 5% other (Saul, Ahab, etc.).
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ at first I was going to write Tiny Bubbles as a joke answer until the correct response popped into my head.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with Solomon since it was asking who wrote Proverbs. I figured that was something a wise person would do.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:TPH-If you can't remember his last name, just call him Lew Alcindor, as it would still fit the clue.
I don't know, Kareem Abdul Jabbar is very Harley-Smoot-esque (*I have my own Harley-Smoot trap which helped me when I was a kid to remember Kareem's name. Hakeem Olaijawon (yes I know that's a misspelling, spellcheck, but I don't know how it's spelled!) is caught in the same trap.)
The problem wasn't remembering his name. The problem was that I actually did think of him, but clammed because I went "wait, there's no possible way that Jabbar could be alphabetically first of anything, at least not at $200."
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went with Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and crossed my fingers that he was filed under "A" and not "J." Mostly guessed on the basis that it would be a bit cruel for a $200 clue otherwise.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:Wow. So am I the only one who hears "were"? I mean, I can hear it both ways. But if I had to come down on one side, it would be on "were". I could see Alex asking her to repeat herself. And I think the repetition would have made it clear she was correct. Absent that, it would have been indefensible, in my opinion, to take the money away from her.
I replayed it three times and I heard "were."