Friday, February 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DadofTwins »

OSXpert wrote:I will bet this FJ polls very high. Atlanta + book = instaget.
For boardies of a certain age, "dress with 12 yards of fabric" was likely more than enough, even if the clue didn't mention Carol Burnett's curtain rod.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed Scarlett O'Hara. I got Gone With the Wind, Vivien Leigh, Ashley Wilkes, Margaret Mitchell, Victor Fleming, and Hattie McDaniel. I just couldn't come up with the actual character. The good thing is that I'm sure I'll never miss it again.

I missed Nobelium but ran the rest of the category. I thought they mentioned a scientist; I started thinking of people who were famous as scientists and I didn't think of Nobel. I was thinking of Einstein and Fermi and Bohr. Nobel is significant in a different way.

What's a good way to study for the flowers category? I do pretty bad with flowers, trees, and bird categories. How do the rest of you get good at those categories?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

IronNeck wrote:
dinghammer wrote:I ran "El"ements and Khans, but I couldn't remember Pharrell's name or Scarlett. Would "Who Is O'Hara?" have been enough?
I would be inclined to say no, since there are 5 characters in the novel with that surname, 3 of them very significant.
On the other hand, they have taken "Ewing" for J.R. Ewing of Dallas on a FJ!
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

DadofTwins wrote:For boardies of a certain age, "dress with 12 yards of fabric" was likely more than enough, even if the clue didn't mention Carol Burnett's curtain rod.
LOL...I immediately thought of that sketch (one of my utmost favorites from The Carol Burnett Show) the very moment I read the beginning of the clue. And I don't care what anyone says, it will always be my preferred take on the overall structure of Gone With The Wind.

And BTW, as I should have mentioned in my previous response...I quite proudly nailed Nobelium.
Last edited by Maven on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote:
goatman wrote:Instaget. For both Goatman & Wife. I am astounded that a physics professor would not instantly repond; "Nobelium" to a clue about an element discovered in Stockholm, 1959. Really?!
:
In her defense, as a practicing scientist, after you learn about these pointless novelty elements (Berkelium and Nobelium, and all the trans-uranics) in high school chemistry, you never care about them again. They have little to do with actual science. Sort of like the manned space program, imho.

The category was harder than I expected and I was forced to pause because I wasn't going to be told the answer. The TOM for Tellurium didn't work for me and I had to just back up the alphabet. Got them all, but no way to do it in real time.
Yep. I'm a scientist for a living too (and almost became a physicist!), and many of those later elements created in a lab never come up in either chemistry or physics. It's pure trivia.
MarkBarrett wrote: Three O'Clock High was very worthy of last box and I have no recognition of it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094138/
I expected an insultingly easy sweep of the category, and the first 4 clues bore that out. But that last one? One of the very few times Jeopardy has featured a movie that I've never even heard of. It's not horribly obscure (8-9,000 votes on IMDB), but far moreso than 95% of movie questions on the show.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I said "diabeetus" on Good Causes for $400. Judges? :P

Lach Trash: nail, adverb, University of Michigan, Nobelium.

It was hard to root through possible words with fee/fi/fo/fum for them and dig my way to "Fumble". Lots of legwork for $200.

I can never remember which Central American country is immediately south of Mexico myself. But really, at $200, not even a guess?

Ran 6 Letter Words and surprisingly, Flowers.

Atlanta? Must be Scarlett O'Hara.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Kenny wrote:Here's a fortuitous FJ clue related to today's episode:

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

The green "curtain dress" that Vivien Leigh wore as Scarlett O'Hara in the film "Gone With The Wind" is in the permanent collection of the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center on the campus of this university (where the defending champion is currently a grad student)."
Spoiler
The University of Texas at Austin
(Yeah, I know, too wordy. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.)
The opening of GWTW refers to a different green dress, *not* the curtain dress from later in the work.
Dana Carvey in Johnny Carson voice: "I did not know that. I did not knooooooow that. That is weird. That is wild. That is some weird, wild stuff."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: nail, Guatemala, safari, Kool and the Gang, "I Feel For You," University of Kentucky, University of Arizona, nobelium (DD), Gandhi, Kublai Khan
seaborgium wrote:Instead of what we got, I would have liked to see a clue like this for tellurium: "A film festival–hosting Colorado city is named for this element, albeit with a different suffix"
Might've helped me. "Tellerium" for tellurium took a $4,000 bite out of my Coryat.
Plactus wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
dinghammer wrote:I ran "El"ements and Khans, but I couldn't remember Pharrell's name or Scarlett. Would "Who Is O'Hara?" have been enough?
I would be inclined to say no, since there are 5 characters in the novel with that surname, 3 of them very significant.
On the other hand, they have taken "Ewing" for J.R. Ewing of Dallas on a FJ!
My guess is that they would accept "O'Hara." Yes, there are other characters in the novel with that last name, but Scarlett is the only one who's J!-famous.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:
That's a better way to put it- pure trivia. To some extent, so is the particle zoo, but at least it occupies a productive corner of the TOE (Theory of Everything for the right brainers out there). I always dreaded the press releases of another pointless accelerator experiment that made 8 atoms of Z= who cares for a few femtoseconds.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Movie (3), Causes (2), Weights (2), Literature (5), "FEE" "FI" "FO" "FUM" (2), Globetrotters (3)
Khan (4), State (5), 6-Letter (2), "EL" (2), Flower (0), Funkytown (4)

Lach Trash: Guatemala, Kool & the Gang, adverb, berkelium, Michigan, Kentucky, Arizona, Gandhi, Kublai Khan; DD: nobelium

Instaget FJ because of Atlanta.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Bamaman wrote:Nobody knew where Barry Goldwater was from? Guess I'm getting old.

Near instaget FJ for me. I guess Brandon got hung up on slippers and didn't see Atlanta.
Not necessarily as simple as where Goldwater was from; I certainly knew that, and yet still clammed on a category I otherwise ran. It's possible the players didn't recognize that all the correct responses were in the form of "University of (state)", with simply the name of the state being equally acceptable. Thus was it that on the bottom-row clue, the inclusion of Annika Sorenstam had me unable to decide between the schools in Tuscon and Tempe in the time alloted (recalling that Arizona State produced Phil Mickelson).

Instaget FJ!; though I did spent part of the Think! music wondering if the target was another character from Gone with the Wind, I saw no reason to swerve.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Maven wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:For boardies of a certain age, "dress with 12 yards of fabric" was likely more than enough, even if the clue didn't mention Carol Burnett's curtain rod.
LOL...I immediately thought of that sketch (one of my utmost favorites from The Carol Burnett Show) the very moment I read the beginning of the clue.
Glad to know I wasn't the only that thought of the Carol Burnett bit! :)
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Instaget FJ. A lot of surprise misses, including 3 O'Clock High (joking). Maybe I was the only one that actually saw that movie.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:Nobody knew where Barry Goldwater was from? Guess I'm getting old.

Near instaget FJ for me. I guess Brandon got hung up on slippers and didn't see Atlanta.
Considering that he was born in Arizona when it was still a territory, I'd say we's all old.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Maven wrote:
LOL...I immediately thought of that sketch (one of my utmost favorites from The Carol Burnett Show) the very moment I read the beginning of the clue.
Glad to know I wasn't the only that thought of the Carol Burnett bit! :)
I second (third, twenty-fourth?) that! That's all of the GWTW story I know :)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I said "diabeetus" on Good Causes for $400. Judges? :P
Unsure. They might accept it from Wilfred Brimley on Celebrity Jeopardy!, but from an ordinary contestant it might be a bit iffy.

jks
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I've always said that if I were a pro baseball player, my walk-up song would either be "The Four Horsemen" by Metallica or "Jungle Boogie". That bassline!!!

I do karaoke every Saturday night after work. Might have to do that tune tonight and dedicate it to Sarah.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Kevin Shrum wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I said "diabeetus" on Good Causes for $400. Judges? :P
Unsure. They might accept it from Wilfred Brimley on Celebrity Jeopardy!, but from an ordinary contestant it might be a bit iffy.

jks
TPH would be no ordinary contestant.
OCSam
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

dexterG wrote:Instaget FJ. A lot of surprise misses, including 3 O'Clock High (joking). Maybe I was the only one that actually saw that movie.

I have seen the movie. I was expecting it after the previous two questions. Not shocked that it was a TS.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Tellurium was instaget for me; I've skied in Telluride (one of my favorite places in the world) but I would have known this one anyway. Agree that the artificial elements are "pure trivia", but they seem to be favorites of the Jeopardy writers so I had better memorize them I guess :roll:

And for some reason, I mixed up Kool & the Gang with KC and the Sunshine Band :oops: