Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by reddpen »

OSXpert wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm I am still shocked at how many of us made the same Duerte spelling error. I'm fine with it being marked incorrect, it just seems like such a collective brainfart.
Probably collectively remembering Jose Napoleon Duarte of El Salvador didn't help.
In and out of the pool four times
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

OSXpert wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm I am still shocked at how many of us made the same Duerte spelling error. I'm fine with it being marked incorrect, it just seems like such a collective brainfart.
+1 for misspelling Duterte, but going with "Huterte" for some reason. All kinds of bad for me on that game yesterday. Got caught on the Washington negbait, went with "Prussia" instead of Russia, and blanked on the Panda question, even after the appearance in the College tourney. Combine with completely imperfect defense, and that completes a mess, 4(2) - 5(2).

That said, I've been in the promotion to B zone all 20 days. Knock on wood I stay there through 25.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

No difference in my 7(4)-3(3) victory, but "Public Enemy" did not not seem right and instead of being smart enough to add the proper "The" that would have rung the proper bell, I erred with Public Enemy Number One. :(

Bullfighter was a wild guess and a surprise hit to go along with Procter and Gamble & Samoa little confidence answers. The only one I knew was lava.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My worst showing of the season, punctuated by discarding Samoa from my consideration and guessing Marianas, and only rediscovering "independent" after I had submitted. So less than half right for the first time all LL72—and I won both in public with 3(2)-2(1), and in private with 3(2)-2(3) (against VeredJ!). I hang on in the promotion zone, which I'm not sure I want, but I don't mind.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 am No difference in my 7(4)-3(3) victory, but "Public Enemy" did not not seem right and instead of being smart enough to add the proper "The" that would have rung the proper bell, I erred with Public Enemy Number One. :(
Sometimes you just have to fight the power.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

After a win yesterday, I currently sit at 4th place in a rookie rundle where the top 4 move to B, with my next two matches against people with the same number of TCA and the final two against people with a few less. It'll be nailbiter, though I'm expecting to be placed into C, which is fine with me, as in B I'd probably spend the whole time fighting relegation anyway.

Going back slightly, I was very pleased to get the Desiigner question due to it coming up on Jeopardy. I wouldn't have remembered it if it weren't for all the social media attention that that category got, but as it was I could thankfully picture Lilly ringing in in my head.

Good luck to everyone in the home stretch!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

<humblecanadianoff> It feels very good to beat Jeopardy TOC champs at LL. <humblecanadianon>
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would have still lost yesterday, but was annoyed to miss P&G on Q1. I knew it was either P&G or Unilever, but ended up going with Unilever because I could have sworn seeing their "U" logo on the back of a package of Duracell batteries.

Add one more to the list of missing Q6 with "Public Enemy Number One." My initial thought was "Gangster," but realized Thorsten probably wouldn't have referred to that as a phrase.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Whew! I managed a draw with the now-erstwhile Rundle leader with an educated guess of P&G and a total WAG of Church (pick a word from the English language that doubles as a surname). That somewhat made up for a painful miss on Q6. Cagney title character that referred to a mobster? Little Caesar, of course! Oops! It was even made in 1931 to add insult to injury.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am Add one more to the list of missing Q6 with "Public Enemy Number One." My initial thought was "Gangster," but realized Thorsten probably wouldn't have referred to that as a phrase.
I thought if you had the correct answer, everything after it was ignored?

I had just "Public Enemy" (no "The") and it was accepted. I should have thought more about the P&G question. I put Johnson and Johnson but their product line is not as diverse I think.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am Add one more to the list of missing Q6 with "Public Enemy Number One." My initial thought was "Gangster," but realized Thorsten probably wouldn't have referred to that as a phrase.
I thought if you had the correct answer, everything after it was ignored?
I think that only applies when you give more than one answer. So, if I answered "Public Enemy or Little Caesar" that would be correct, but "Public Enemy Number One" is clearly a single answer and would have to be ruled incorrect.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

A little cinema history trivia: "The Public Enemy" is the film in which James Cagney pushes the grapefruit into Mae Clarke's face.

FYI.... Unilever is not American; Dutch-British. Initially the only companies I thought it could be were P&G and Unilever, then realized that Unilever is not American.
Last edited by RandyG on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I was wavering between Duterte and Dutertre but figured the second one sounded too French (was prob thinking of the famous Place du Tertre in the Montmartre section of Paris)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am
I was wavering between Duterte and Dutertre but figured the second one sounded too French (was prob thinking of the famous Place du Tertre in the Montmartre section of Paris)
Or you could have been thinking of the Grand Cru Classe Margaux winery Chateau Du Tertre :D
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

For the first time in a long time I went to bed knowing I only had one correct (Samoa) and would most likely end up with zero points and almost certainly lose so I was most pleasantly surprised this morning to learn I had tied 0(1) 0(1). Any other opponent in my rundle I would have lost to.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 pm For the first time in a long time I went to bed knowing I only had one correct (Samoa) and would most likely end up with zero points and almost certainly lose so I was most pleasantly surprised this morning to learn I had tied 0(1) 0(1). Any other opponent in my rundle I would have lost to.
Thanks to a correct guess with Samoa, I pulled out a 2(1)-0(1) win. It was the first time this season I got as few as 1 question right. Several people in my (C) division had trouble with yesterday's questions, including a Tournament of Champions participant who got a 0(0).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pmIt was the first time this season I got as few as 1 question right.
Same here. Heck, I've only had more than 3 twice in the last dozen matches.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pm
Thanks to a correct guess with Samoa, I pulled out a 2(1)-0(1) win. It was the first time this season I got as few as 1 question right. Several people in my (C) division had trouble with yesterday's questions, including a Tournament of Champions participant who got a 0(0).
I also won my match 2(1)-0(1) , and my only correct answer was Samoa.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I often shake my head when LLamas admit to having made RTFQ errors. You are under virtually no time pressure. There are only six questions per day. They are not overwhelmingly complex.

And then I repeatedly read Match Game as Hollywood Squares. An obvious CNR question becomes an obvious Paul Lynde question (never mind that Lynde was the center square; if you're going to fail to RTFQ, you might as well go all the way with it). Luckily, it didn't factor into either of my matches, but I can't believe I did that.

Also, can we talk about the 31% get rate on that question? What kind of world are we living in?
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:14 am I often shake my head when LLamas admit to having made RTFQ errors. You are under virtually no time pressure. There are only six questions per day. They are not overwhelmingly complex.

And then I repeatedly read Match Game as Hollywood Squares. An obvious CNR question becomes an obvious Paul Lynde question (never mind that Lynde was the center square; if you're going to fail to RTFQ, you might as well go all the way with it). Luckily, it didn't factor into either of my matches, but I can't believe I did that.

Also, can we talk about the 31% get rate on that question? What kind of world are we living in?
I didn't realize until reading your post just now that it *wasn't* Hollywood Squares the question was talking about.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012