Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

goatman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Any advice for a rookie?
My advice is reread all the questions fully before you submit. Make sure you are really answering the question that was asked.
Wake up early make coffee (discovered by a 9th century Ethiopian sheepherding dude), read the clues, then go to work school or play and think on it all day. Sometimes during the course of the day something will jog your memory or you will recogitate it. Then go write it in and after the reveal wiki all the stuff you learned and even the stuff you knew to learn more! :P
Good advice! Thanks everyone!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Rejoice! The season has begun!
In and out of the pool four times
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

reddpen wrote:Rejoice! The season has begun!
Have at you, my friend.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With the new season and new players, it is a good time to remind everyone of the rule about discussing matches on this board. Please do not make any comment about the questions until that day's results have been posted on the LL board. Do not say how many you got right or wrong. Do not say if you thought they were hard or easy. Just do not say anything at all about the questions until the LL day has ended and the next day's questions are up.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Nothing about questions here, but I find myself consistently second-guessing how to apply points since this is my first attempt. Rookies have no information about us, so other than the gender, schooling and location of my opponent, I know nothing. I have a feeling like I might be walking into a wheelhouse here.

Anyone want to share past stories about poor defense?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote:
reddpen wrote:Rejoice! The season has begun!
Have at you, my friend.
Best of luck to both of you, my friends.
MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik »

Excited rookie here (thanks to kids' week alum Josh Woo!) I'm in "Rundle R Laguna Div 1." Already had fun today, can't wait to make it part of my daily routine!
TheLibmanMop
Contributor

Post by TheLibmanMop »

I'll be sweeping up in Badlands B. Hopefully, I won't wipe out! :D
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

TheLibmanMop wrote:I'll be sweeping up in Badlands B. Hopefully, I won't wipe out! :D
Good luck against the two international quizzing celebrities, unless you are Beth or Jenny, and then in that case, good luck against the other one.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

1stlvlthinker wrote:Nothing about questions here, but I find myself consistently second-guessing how to apply points since this is my first attempt. Rookies have no information about us, so other than the gender, schooling and location of my opponent, I know nothing. I have a feeling like I might be walking into a wheelhouse here.

You're just going to have to muddle through blindly until some stats start coming in for your fellow Rookies, unless you have some idea of who the person actually is and you know something about them (i.e., graduate of Yale and there's a question about Connecticut this week). Last season I figured out who a particular opponent was in advance of the matchup, learned some more about him and it came in useful in setting defense, to the point that it made the difference in a match.

Also, to your primary point, you're always going to second-guess how to apply defensive points. Just give it the old college try (probably based on what YOU think is most difficult generally to start) and you'll be fine. Just make sure to include a zero, two 1s, two 2s, and a 3.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

JLJ wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:Nothing about questions here, but I find myself consistently second-guessing how to apply points since this is my first attempt. Rookies have no information about us, so other than the gender, schooling and location of my opponent, I know nothing. I have a feeling like I might be walking into a wheelhouse here.

You're just going to have to muddle through blindly until some stats start coming in for your fellow Rookies, unless you have some idea of who the person actually is and you know something about them (i.e., graduate of Yale and there's a question about Connecticut this week). Last season I figured out who a particular opponent was in advance of the matchup, learned some more about him and it came in useful in setting defense, to the point that it made the difference in a match.

Also, to your primary point, you're always going to second-guess how to apply defensive points. Just give it the old college try (probably based on what YOU think is most difficult generally to start) and you'll be fine. Just make sure to include a zero, two 1s, two 2s, and a 3.
Makes sense. After the results were revealed, I'm kicking myself a bit for the numbers I set. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't worry about it now since I can't do anything else about it.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Another rookie question here: when do daily results get released? Is that done sometime tomorrow morning or after both opponents have answered and been graded/scored?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

badgerfellow wrote:Another rookie question here: when do daily results get released? Is that done sometime tomorrow morning or after both opponents have answered and been graded/scored?
The LL website says your answers are due at 10:00 PM, Pacific Time. (Thorsten lives in the Seattle area). I don't think the game automatically shuts down at that time, but that would be the earliest he would start grading the answers. So I suppose you could get it in after the deadline, but I wouldn't chance it.

As for when the scores are posted, it depends on when he starts and how long it takes. I don't know the exact process, but I think there is some program that lets him see all the given answers and he checks them as being right or wrong. Depending on how you format your answer, there could be several "correct" answers to the same question, including ones generated by minor typos or misspellings. Then there may be alternate answers he has to make judgement calls on.

But nobody sees how they did in their match until all the questions have been graded. Everybody gets their results at the same time, even if both you and your opponent submitted five minutes after they were posted. You do see right away if you got your questions right or not and you are free to contact your opponent privately to discuss how you did.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

badgerfellow wrote:Another rookie question here: when do daily results get released? Is that done sometime tomorrow morning or after both opponents have answered and been graded/scored?
They usually get posted an hour after the 10 PM Pacific time deadline, although that hour is not precise. I would say, however, that results from non-Fridays show up between 10:45 and 11:30 PM Pacific at least 98% of the time, but that Friday results are often delayed sometimes until 1:00 AM Pacific, but not usually that late.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
They usually get posted an hour after the 10 PM Pacific time deadline, although that hour is not precise. I would say, however, that results from non-Fridays show up between 10:45 and 11:30 PM Pacific at least 98% of the time, but that Friday results are often delayed sometimes until 1:00 AM Pacific, but not usually that late.
Exactly this. The previous day's results and the new match day both become available at the same time, roughly an hour after the midnight* deadline.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Besides nelsonk, what other boardies are in fjord A?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Exactly this. The previous day's results and the new match day both become available at the same time, roughly an hour after the midnight* deadline.
Appreciate the answers! Side note: Any Midlanders on the board?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Besides nelsonk, what other boardies are in fjord A?
None of those names immediately spring to mind.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Makes sense. After the results were revealed, I'm kicking myself a bit for the numbers I set. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't worry about it now since I can't do anything else about it.
And this would be an example of something you shouldn't say until the match day is over.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I won my very first LL match ever! Yay! Thorsten was kind to me, giving me credit for "Kim Il-Sun" (no g). It's too early to tell after just one match, but so far it looks like I might be in one of the harder rookie rundles, with R yesterday doing nearly as well as C.