Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I work with lots of people from Infosys, for the Bangalore one was easy for me.

Got a six-pack and a win yesterday which felt pretty good after a difficult week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mcsheffrey wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:25 amThe 5(3)-4(3) loss also likely ensures that I will be staying in C rundle for another season.
I won, but I'll be joining you (unless everyone in the top-10 forfeits both their final matches) back in C next season. This has just been a shit season (sorry, there is no other word for it). 79 was my previous low for TCA and I'll be lucky to break 70 this time.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 am I work with lots of people from Infosys, for the Bangalore one was easy for me.

Got a six-pack and a win yesterday which felt pretty good after a difficult week.
I came so close, but the name of the movie in Q2 disappeared from my brain at a most inopportune time. I thought for a long time, but it wasn't coming. Ended up on An Affair to Remember, which is at least an actual movie title. (A review of the Best Picture Oscar winners would have helped twice this season.) Bye-bye perfect 1.000 in movies this season. I was pretty sure I was set up for a 9(5), and I was.

From Here to Eternity is the only Best Picture Oscar winner set primarily in Hawaii (it's a Pearl Harbor story), for what it's worth.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:53 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 am I work with lots of people from Infosys, for the Bangalore one was easy for me.

I came so close, but the name of the movie in Q2 disappeared from my brain at a most inopportune time. I thought for a long time, but it wasn't coming. Ended up on An Affair to Remember, which is at least an actual movie title. (A review of the Best Picture Oscar winners would have helped twice this season.) Bye-bye perfect 1.000 in movies this season. I was pretty sure I was set up for a 9(5), and I was.

From Here to Eternity is the only Best Picture Oscar winner set primarily in Hawaii (it's a Pearl Harbor story), for what it's worth.
That kiss in the surf is famous enough that even a non-movie buff such as myself knew it. OTOH, I initially misread Throsten's sly use of osculation for consultation and vainly tried to figure out how it hinted at From Here to Eternity. :shock:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 am That kiss in the surf is famous enough that even a non-movie buff such as myself knew it.
Me too ... and then I typed in On the Waterfront.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am My two hopes against CMP146 were that she didn't know Bangalore, or that the art movement I had never heard of was obscure enough for her to miss. 6(5)-9(6). No dice. She's better in her bad category of geography than I am in my bad category of art. Way to go Cyndi! 😕

4 points separate 26th from 12th in our rundle. Still not safe from relegation!
Hopefully things go better, my dear subatomic particle husband! My 2 art history classes at Penn State and access to excellent museums in the last year and a half have been paying off well this season! Seriously, an art appreciation class can go a long way to improving a LL art record. I face Vermonter today (good luck!).
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I got these both, but this article might have helped someone if it came out a month earlier.

Brie Larson to play first female presidential candidate.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Looking very likely that I'll be heading down to B after this season. That is just fiiiiiiiiiiiine by me.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am 4 points separate 26th from 12th in our rundle. Still not safe from relegation!
<sigh> :(

~24th place
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

patkav wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 pm
boson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am 4 points separate 26th from 12th in our rundle. Still not safe from relegation!

~24th place
We are not going to have you relegated out of our rundle. Stay strong!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

reddpen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 amI also already have 5 ties this season, which may be my most ever.
It's tied with your LL62 season for your most ever. You can do this!
I did it! Yesterday I tied 3(2)-3(2).

But I still can't believe that I wasn't able to pull Ashcan. I spent about 3 minutes (a long time by my standards to spend on a question) trying to pull the name, but I just couldn't do it. A good portion of my quiz bowl knowledge has been lost in the 8 years that I've been away from it.

I was also a little surprised that Bangalore didn't have a higher get rate. I thought that it had become a pretty big Pavlov for "Indian city known for its technology industry," but working in the field that I work in may have made me underestimate the difficulty of that one.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

My opponent gave me 3 points on that one, not knowing that I used to work on a team at Yahoo that had a bunch of members that were actually Infosys employees in Bangalore. (Unfortunately, I never got to make the trip, but my manager did, several times.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:45 pm
My opponent gave me 3 points on that one, not knowing that I used to work on a team at Yahoo that had a bunch of members that were actually Infosys employees in Bangalore. (Unfortunately, I never got to make the trip, but my manager did, several times.)
Same here. I'm hoping to get there some day. My manager used to go every year, but travel budgets got hacked last year and wasn't able to make the trip. I think the last time he was there they went to Bangalore, Mysore and Chennai.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

After somehow pulling my first 9(6) -- an event I didn't think would happen for a long time -- on Thursday for a clutch win in a crucial match, followed by a tie in today's game, it all comes down to Monday's match: a win will put me in B, while a tie or a loss almost surely puts me in C.

On the questions themselves, I'm surprised by two things: first, that 'cartoon' had the lowest get rates, since I thought it was a WECIB? type question, and second, that 'rashers' had such a high get rate (relatively speaking), which I wouldn't have known had I not spent time living in England and to which I blithely assigned 3 points, to my detriment.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm in third place, and the top five finishers get promoted. It's far from a lock, however; I can easily finish in any position from third to seventh place. I'm tied with TuckerP but three points ahead in MPD, and I'm one win ahead of two players who have higher MPD than I do. One more player whose MPD is five below mine is also a win behind me. (Meanwhile, second place is guaranteed to remain there if he doesn't forfeit, and first place can't even forfeit out of his spot.)
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

~24th place
Noooooooooo! :-( There's still one day more.... Another dream, another destiny. Great. Now I am quoting musicals. Fingers crossed that we can all keep our heads above water and play again next season.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 pm

~24th place
Thanks for the vote of confidence, boss. But I'm definitely out. Looks like I have good company, though.

Edit: sorry, I missed your post, Cyndi. I'm most likely gone, but I'll be back! (Stupid 4-minute experiment!)
Last edited by patkav on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

rpg wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:28 am On the questions themselves, I'm surprised by two things: first, that 'cartoon' had the lowest get rates, since I thought it was a WECIB? type question, and second, that 'rashers' had such a high get rate (relatively speaking), which I wouldn't have known had I not spent time living in England and to which I blithely assigned 3 points, to my detriment.
I missed both questions. I said "diorama" on the former. On the latter, I recognized the answer as something to do with bacon, but I don't think I would have come up with it.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I am pleased to report that I broke my personal record for total correct answers in a season, with one match day still to come!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

patkav wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 am
alietr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 pm

~24th place
Thanks for the vote of confidence, boss. But I'm definitely out. Looks like I have good company, though.
:(