Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow »

I somehow got the 2 questions with the lowest get rates but missed the other 4? Pulled victory there, very lucky. 2-0 to start the rookie campaign.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dinghammer wrote:Soooo, am I the only one who guessed barnacles for yesterday's Q6? Related to ships, mid-18th century -> Darwin, maybe the names were for their shapes (because I don't think they tend to appear on sails)? Clearly I need to spend more time with Sky Map.
Constellations sure makes sense in retrospect, but it never crossed my mind. The fact the names were in Latin led me to the Catholic Church so I put down "Catholic Church Divisions."
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dinghammer wrote:Soooo, am I the only one who guessed barnacles for yesterday's Q6? Related to ships, mid-18th century -> Darwin, maybe the names were for their shapes (because I don't think they tend to appear on sails)? Clearly I need to spend more time with Sky Map.
Constellations sure makes sense in retrospect, but it never crossed my mind. The fact the names were in Latin led me to the Catholic Church so I put down "Catholic Church Divisions."
I went down the same path and waffled between "Parts of the mass" and "Parts of the liturgical year"
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
I put 'stars,' which is frustrating because it doesn't really make sense and I had the right idea. Grr
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OSXpert wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I went down the same path and waffled between "Parts of the mass" and "Parts of the liturgical year"
I was in the ballpark with stars but wrong nevertheless. Just 2 right but ended up winning on a forfeit.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

StevenH wrote:"Dare" only had a 40% get rate when spotted "Virginia!?" I was seriously expecting that one to go down as one of the easiest questions in regular season LL history.
This qualifies as pure trivia, ergo I got it wrong. NHO Virginia Dare and I watched the entire season of American Horror Story: Roanoke!
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

morbeedo wrote:
StevenH wrote:"Dare" only had a 40% get rate when spotted "Virginia!?" I was seriously expecting that one to go down as one of the easiest questions in regular season LL history.
This qualifies as pure trivia, ergo I got it wrong. NHO Virginia Dare and I watched the entire season of American Horror Story: Roanoke!
I NHO of her either, but figured this was something I should learn.

I also did the NYT Crossword, but didn't quite put 2 and 2 together. Went with "bin" instead, based on a possibly faulty logic of "Bar" in Hebrew as son-of, and "El" as God (which eliminated El or Al in my mind).

I had gone through a lot of older games and average roughly 2 questions correct per day. I figure I'll be in Rundle E after my rookie season. So far, I'm meeting my average!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Always nice to drink beers with alietr. I'm on pace for 150 CAA. Mostly I'm proud of my defense that is keeping me from giving up 10 or more points per day.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

1stlvlthinker wrote:I also did the NYT Crossword, but didn't quite put 2 and 2 together. Went with "bin" instead
Nothing faulty. "Bin" is correct.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I wished Thorsten had asked for all six on Q1 (well, at least 3) and both on Q3. Although I think my opponent would have gotten both. Just for general 'hey, i know that stuff' stuff.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

reddpen wrote:
RandyG wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Woof wrote:My opponent didn't get from Tavau to Davos.
That was the one I had to think about the longest. At first I was thinking St. Moritz or Zermatt, but neither of those seemed correct. Then I concentrated on "Tavau" and Davos clicked.
That was my one miss. (Seems almost a victory losing to cbec by only 9(6)-8(5).) I answered St. Moritz just for the sake of saying something. Shoulda paid more attention to "geopolitical", which probably would have led me to Davos. Offhand, I didn't know that it was a fashionable resort town and focusing on "T" as the first letter got me nowhere.
Davos was one of just two that I had on first look (Lloyd's was the other), and I thought the geopolitical clue made it pretty obvious so gave bomtr a 1 for it, so of course that's his lone miss (and he gave me 3). He pulls the occipital lobe for 3 and gives me 2 for my lone miss and an 8(5)-7(5) loss. My defensive score can (almost) only go up.

Interesting set. At first look I thought I might get only two or three, but Ledger soon popped up as the best-known young actor who died around then (can't quite believe it's been nine years), and I dredged up Kim Il Sung's name soon after. The Titans clue was nicely worded, but once I clued in on Houston it came to me.

Hat tip on the win to my longtime nemesis and TCONA traveling buddy, against whom I'm now 1-7-2 lifetime. Bring it today, slam--my record is muuuch better against you: 1-4-1.
Once again, I get lucky. I had Ledger and Lloyd's right off and it took moments to massage my initial Kim Sung-Il to its proper form. Tennessee Titans was within the 4 minute magic line and occipital maybe just outside, but not much. For some reason, Davos was just something that had never entered my ken. A tie was deserved, but that's LL, I guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bomtr wrote:I wished Thorsten had asked for all six on Q1 (well, at least 3) and both on Q3. Although I think my opponent would have gotten both. Just for general 'hey, i know that stuff' stuff.
You're an evil man. :twisted:
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

econgator wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:I also did the NYT Crossword, but didn't quite put 2 and 2 together. Went with "bin" instead
Nothing faulty. "Bin" is correct.
The potentially faulty part was me thinking it has a link to Hebrew somehow. I might have backed into the correct answer.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I was all excited that comic book legend Len Wein is in my rundle, but he appears to have forfeited his first two matches. I hope that he isn't being held captive by the Joker or Dr. Octopus.

I was shut out on the first day because I was clueless on the first five and was so traumatized that I missed Lloyd's on the last because I thought that Lloyd's was too easy. Still won on a forfeit. Then I got three right yesterday and lost. I still don't understand the wording of the constellation question.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

georgespelvin wrote:I still don't understand the wording of the constellation question.
Argo Navis was a gigantic constellation (over 150 visible stars), so when people would talk about a star, they'd talk about "the one in the keel" or "the one in the sail", so finally just just said the heck with it and broke it up into 3 separate constellations.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

countyguy wrote:On Q6, I instagot the correct answer, thinking "constellations" at first glance (before reading the whole question) even though I am not really familiar with any constellation listed. Probably the category helped.

That's the trouble with playing along and tracking TCA, getting something and realizing maybe you were unfairly advantaged by the extra info.

I usually try not to take into account the category while answering, but that is very difficult to do sometimes.

I used to have similar troubles with the get rates helping me choose whether or not to go for the obvious, but now I either play on my phone (and keep get rates out of view until I've answered the questions), or immediately copy the questions onto a word document so I am not tempted to look at the get rates. The categories, however, are far more difficult to address.
Perhaps I'm misreading something, but if you're seeing categories of questions when answering them, please share how. Categories don't appear till the answers get posted. Maybe you're playing along after they're posted?

Those Q6 names sounded sufficiently spacey to me, but I tried and failed with dwarf planets, perhaps relying too much on 1930 (the year Pluto was discovered). Luckily for me, slam didn't know it either, and he also missed gnocchi so my D stat is back over .700.
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

reddpen wrote:
countyguy wrote:On Q6, I instagot the correct answer, thinking "constellations" at first glance (before reading the whole question) even though I am not really familiar with any constellation listed. Probably the category helped.

That's the trouble with playing along and tracking TCA, getting something and realizing maybe you were unfairly advantaged by the extra info.

I usually try not to take into account the category while answering, but that is very difficult to do sometimes.

I used to have similar troubles with the get rates helping me choose whether or not to go for the obvious, but now I either play on my phone (and keep get rates out of view until I've answered the questions), or immediately copy the questions onto a word document so I am not tempted to look at the get rates. The categories, however, are far more difficult to address.
Perhaps I'm misreading something, but if you're seeing categories of questions when answering them, please share how. Categories don't appear till the answers get posted. Maybe you're playing along after they're posted?
That confused me too. I actually posted a response like yours, then deleted it once I realized countyguy must be talking about playing along as a non-member. And only the live questions, which you have to be logged in to see, are presented without categories.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I think one contributing factor here is that it's the sort of fact that is very obscure for non-American players.

For Argo Navis I went with stars thinking that what had appeared to be a single star was discovered to be a cluster when telescopes improved. Was very frustrated to see the correct answer.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

OSXpert wrote:IBN was an answer in the NYT crossword puzzle yesterday as well. I always do the crossword puzzle at 10PM the night before, so I was well primed for LL, but I would have answered "BIN" without the puzzle, which was apparently also accepted. Hopefully no one was put into the awkward position of doing the puzzle in between reading the questions and answering them.
The NYT crossword is excellent practice for both Jeopardy and LL. Tackling the Sunday puzzle is one of my favorite pastimes.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

In a world where Marina Abramovic (who I'd heard of but didn't know) had a 24% get rate, I thought My Bed would be significantly more well-known. It might be the only piece of contemporary art I know by name. I also thought this one would be well over 50%, so maybe I tend to overestimate how well-known the so-called Young British Artists are in most of the world.