Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Damien Hirst did things with blood and urine, so formaldehyde seems like a more boring substance. I was part of the 13% who said urine.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

sarisson wrote:This is my seventh season, and I STILL have never lost on Opening Day! With a 9(5)- after guessing Geneva for Davos- I am also #1 in my rundle for the first time ever. I'm projected to go 25-0-0 with 225 match points and 125 TCA, so we know that trend will continue because small sample sizes never lie!
This is my fifth season and I have never WON on Opening Day. But, I've won the last two days to sit at 2-1 on the young season.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Woo finally got my first win, on MD3. Our rookie rundle found MD3 especially hard it seemed. 7 people got 0 questions correct. 3 others got 1 right, but 0 points. The other rookie division in our league found it much easier.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dinghammer wrote:In a world where Marina Abramovic (who I'd heard of but didn't know) had a 24% get rate, I thought My Bed would be significantly more well-known. It might be the only piece of contemporary art I know by name. I also thought this one would be well over 50%, so maybe I tend to overestimate how well-known the so-called Young British Artists are in most of the world.
I said mattress (which didn't count). I knew the piece, but apparently not that well.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

1stlvlthinker wrote:Woo finally got my first win, on MD3. Our rookie rundle found MD3 especially hard it seemed. 7 people got 0 questions correct. 3 others got 1 right, but 0 points. The other rookie division in our league found it much easier.
I got my first win of the season, too! I had just about chalked it off as a loss because for some reason I thought I only got four correct, but turns out I got five and won 7(5)-6(4). I missed "An American In Paris."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:Woo finally got my first win, on MD3. Our rookie rundle found MD3 especially hard it seemed. 7 people got 0 questions correct. 3 others got 1 right, but 0 points. The other rookie division in our league found it much easier.
I got my first win of the season, too! I had just about chalked it off as a loss because for some reason I thought I only got four correct, but turns out I got five and won 7(5)-6(4). I missed "An American In Paris."
Still waiting on mine, at 0-1-2.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
My first loss of the season, 6(5)-7(5). We both gave 3 to the art question; my opponent got it and missed asbestos.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
My first loss of the season, 6(5)-7(5). We both gave 3 to the art question; my opponent got it and missed asbestos.

I also missed the Gershwin question, thinking that "rhapsodic ballet" must point to "Rhapsody in Blue". Absent that hint it would have been a coin toss between Porgy and Bess and An American in Paris. In hindsight, "composed during his travels abroad" is a pretty good hint.

At any rate, I managed a win to get to 2-1.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

A 9(6) isn't quite as fun when your opponent forfeits, but I'll take it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Apparently, I've risen to the level of my own incompetence now that I'm in B -- 3 losses in the first 3 days, including a 0(0), putting me at the very bottom of my rundle.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I TIED on opening day... yay! Doing allright for the nonce... expect change soon! :P BTW "My Bed" is not art, it's unrepentant filth and nothing more. :evil:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:...BTW "My Bed" is not art, it's unrepentant filth and nothing more. :evil:
I agree with the first part. Personally, I think it's just lazy.
Sounds like you might like the book "The $12 Million Stuffed Shark" though, which I would highly recommend.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

I've had the best four-day stretch of my LL career. It certainly helps that I've had more time to think about the questions this week. I requested advance access to Day 1 since that was the day of my final 100-question written NRC exam (and seven of the most stressful hours of my life). It paid off because I thought about the Tennessee Titans question for about two days before inspiration struck. That's only the second time I've ever requested advance access; the first was when I went on vacation for a week last summer without the internet.

I also find myself on top of the Rundle in the Jundle standings, albeit with the huge caveat that I have yet to face boson or cmp146, aka the First Family of JBoard.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What an excitIng first week of LL! 2 outright wins, 1 FW and 1 win on defense. Averaging less than 50% TCA so I'm fully prepared to start losing soon but enjoying this streak while it lasts!

LL72 Rundle R Continental Div 1: 4-0-0 (2nd of 18)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Averaging 5 questions right per day. 1 tie and 3 losses. I'm in 25th place in relegation zone.

Congrats to FrumkinJ who beat me yesterday (I gave 2 points to Atalanta, he gave 3 and we both missed it. Hermes just seemed right)

#arundleproblems
clprez

Post by clprez »

Wow, I tied 4(2)-4(4)!

First time that's happened where I had two less questions than my opponent.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I will be updating my JBoard! Learned League list in the next day or two- please let me know if you would like to be listed (or not). PM me your Llama name if you would like to be on the list, and you haven't been before.

I am looking forward to facing PatKav on Monday in A Magnolia, and have been very lucky so far this season with hunches, guesses, and blind luck. I am currently sitting 3rd in A Magnolia, and second in the private Rundle in the Jundle, with only one more TCA than my dear husband, Boson. I figure it will not last long.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I somehow find myself leading my rundle after 4 days. Three outright wins and a defensive win 7(5)-6(5) (in which my opponent gave me a 0 on the film question for some reason, when that's my second-best category) have me as the only 4-0-0 person in the rundle.

I do not expect this to last.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

After a wonderful start, where I beat my archnemesis's minion, I went on to brain fart. 1-3.

I have 2 goals this season:

1) Avoid relegation.
2) Average .450+ question percentage.

COME ON BABY!
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

League Rundle Jboardie (Ronin are listed with their original league, but their LL72 placement is their actual Rundle.)
Alpine A Alpine gobobbygo B Alpine Trainman
C Alpine Div 2 mam418
Archipelago A Archipelago jkbrat, miwasatoshi
Badlands A Badlands Cat Hammarskjold, silverscreentest
C Badlands Div 2 Pburns1587
D Badlands Div 2 verna
Bayou Ronin: A Bayou Lampy C Bayou Div 2 CheezeWhiz
R Bayou Div 1 1stlvlthinker
Cascade D Cascade Div 1 Holocene Hero
Central A Central OldSchoolChamp, skullturf
B Central TreeofHeaven
C Central kaberi
D Central Div 1 Turd Ferguson
E Central Div 2 naurae29
Coastal A Coastal jpahk
Continental A Continental Bomtr, Elendilpickle, jsterlacci, KillerTomato, reddpen, Ryno, slam, Woof
B Continental BulgarianBeast
C Continental Div 2 hbomb1947
D Continental Div 1 AleBelly, Jbeltz, StevenH
D Continental Div 2 CrunchyTaco
E Continental Div 2 squizzle
R Continental Div 1 morbeedo
Corridor A Bayou Lampy A Corridor Dr. J
D Corridor Div 1 TriviaWayne
Fjord A Fjord IhaveJeoprosy, ThisisKirk
B Fjord Jeff6286
C Fjord Pastor Dave
Frontier A Frontier Coelocanth, SwanShadow
B Prairie MinnesotaMyron
D Frontier Div 1 Armandillo
Glacier A Glacier Paul5562, Rex Kramer
B Glacier gloriaclemente
Highland A Highland dklee12, mikeyb,
Horizon A Horizon BoK, goatman, JJWaymee, Lhamilton, mrexley,
B Horizon BigDaddyMatty, Blue Lion, Molly427, mrparadise, tjconn728
C Horizon Caknuck, quarterrican, Sarrison, theThirdMoose
D Horizon Div 2 TheyCallMeMrKid
E Horizon Div 1 UniquePerspective
Juniper A Juniper Ronin: OccamsElectricRazor
C Juniper dharrisf, missykat16,
D Juniper grnwaz
Laguna A Laguna JyV92, mrbungle, plasticene, VoluptuousLoser
B Laguna seaborgium, ptucker
C Laguna Div 2 JillyJill
D Laguna Div 2 WooWho?
Magnolia A Magnolia Alietr, Boson, cmp146, Jfrumkin, OntarioQuizzer, Patkav, Vermonter
B Magnolia Iron4Horse
C Magnolia Div 1 Peachbox, ThreeifbyAir
D Magnolia Div 1 TerrHeel
E Magnolia Div 2 Nightreign
Maritime A Juniper OccamsElectricRazor
D Maritime Div 2 geolawyerman
Memorial B Memorial kristinsausville D Memorial Div 2 TomSegi
Metro B Metro makeabeilein
Midland Midland Div 2 badgerfellow
Morningstar A Morningstar Qball, TomKBaltimoreBoy
B Morningstar kickerofelves
Pacific A Pacific adamnvillani, mennoknight, PamIam, RichmondJ
B Pacific Winchell Factor
C Pacific Div 2 Econgator, jev15, LinearGnome, Volante
D Pacific Div 2 dnbguy, OSXpert
E Pacific Div 2 dott888, Sburrus
Piedmont A Piedmont gnash, teapot37
B Piedmont pauerpoint
D Piedmont Div 2 ron
E Piedmont Div 2 Barandall800
Plaza B Plaza BenAlmoite
Prairie A Prairie cbec, RandyG
B Prairie MarkBarrett B Prairie Ronin:MinnesotaMyron
C Prairie ouachiouat
D Prairie Div 1 Bamaman, clprez, dhKendall
E Prairie Div 2 arekp01, BennyBXB, colonialrampage
Sierra A Sierra bengland, mpahu B Sierra Fowlerism
Skyline B Skyline TheSunWillComeOut
C Skyline mitchparov
Sugarloaf C Sugarloaf Div 1 Ivoirians,
Tundra A Tundra sarah0114
Sitting out: BRD-98 BarnesMRaff Ultraman Schoe MikeDupee IPreferPi khiddy sherder Holocene Hero okstater04 Generalist MarkyMarkm arjaveral droidysseus DadofTwins

(Unknown- Players who I do not know their Llama ID to their Jboard! Name. Alamble, AustinPowers, cf22, dinghammer, drdoug41, goforthetie, OlafR, rjmac, rpg, Rusty's in the club, SlickRick87)

PM me any corrections, or if you would like your name to be removed.
Last edited by cmp146 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.