Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4518
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 am

ouachiouat wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:41 am
I messaged Thorsten about this, but haven't heard back from him yet (and it's been about 2 weeks). My membership dues are up at the end of this offseason. I'm thinking, due to several factors regarding my upcoming move back to the States, that I should sit out LL73. What is the normal protocol on that? Just don't pay, and then pay starting the season after? Or pay, then message Thorsten and say that I'm not going to be participating? Any advice will be welcomed. I know I'll miss LL, as it will provide me some sanity / consistency throughout the end of my time here, but with my flight being towards the end of the season, I'll be spending so much time wrapping things up here / flying / recovering from jet lag / other things I'd be afraid I'd accidentally forfeit several times; however, I definitely plan to be back for more in LL74!
I think you can take either option, but if you choose not to pay now, you won't be able to play ML/1DS after LL 73 either, so if that's important to you, then you should go ahead and renew membership but sit out LL 73.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Lefty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 am

I skipped a season recently for various reasons, and I sent a message saying "back next time". I paid my dues when I returned. I don't think I heard or expected to hear anything back, what with hundreds if not thousands of members and the rather low urgency of it.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:11 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 am
ouachiouat wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:41 am
I messaged Thorsten about this, but haven't heard back from him yet (and it's been about 2 weeks). My membership dues are up at the end of this offseason. I'm thinking, due to several factors regarding my upcoming move back to the States, that I should sit out LL73. What is the normal protocol on that? Just don't pay, and then pay starting the season after? Or pay, then message Thorsten and say that I'm not going to be participating? Any advice will be welcomed. I know I'll miss LL, as it will provide me some sanity / consistency throughout the end of my time here, but with my flight being towards the end of the season, I'll be spending so much time wrapping things up here / flying / recovering from jet lag / other things I'd be afraid I'd accidentally forfeit several times; however, I definitely plan to be back for more in LL74!
I think you can take either option, but if you choose not to pay now, you won't be able to play ML/1DS after LL 73 either, so if that's important to you, then you should go ahead and renew membership but sit out LL 73.
Correct on all points, AFAIK.

Lefty wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 am
I skipped a season recently for various reasons, and I sent a message saying "back next time". I paid my dues when I returned. I don't think I heard or expected to hear anything back, what with hundreds if not thousands of members and the rather low urgency of it.
Thorsten will eventually answer all messages that require at least an acknowledgment, with a profuse apology for the delay if it takes a long time. I'm certain that he does read all messages. With all that's on his plate that requires immediacy much of the time, it's absolutely understandable and fair that he send an explicit reply only if necessary.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Woof wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm
The One Day topics are getting pretty obscure. Hate to pull a TPH here, but I can't say I've ever heard of either Nathan For You or Tom Chapin!
I couldn't agree more. I was looking ahead to the next month's worth of topics and a hard time finding nding more than 2 that I felt worth entering. I have nothing against topics that I'm not expert in, but far too many seem too obscure to me to even attempt.

Then I'll have to do something about that. With the plethora of movie fans on this board, you might want to give a look to my "Film Noir" 1DS, available starting tonight about 1:00am ET/10:00pm PT and continuing through Thursday 12:00 noon ET/9:00am PT.

Image
I have no idea which film that's from, so don't draw any conclusions if you don't recognize it either.

P.S. I never heard of Nathan For You either and all I knew about Tom Chapin was that he's Harry's brother. Now a Harry Chapin 1DS I could go for!
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3979
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Randy, rest assured that your is one of the two :D

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6549
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 am

Geeze...if I moneyed right on the Blood 1D, would've moved up 20%ile. Who'd'a thunk it that Blood Falls was so poorly known? (Not surprised gib had a low get rate...I haven't recalled hearing that used in gaming since Doom. The first one.)

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 am

Did anyone else here sign up for 2020quiz during the open invitation for Llamas? It is a British/World version of Learned League that operates very similarly (8 questions per day, assign defense to your opponent, topics distributed among subject categories). There is also a one-day-special every day.

I took the one month free trial (just like Netflix!) and I don't think I'm going to continue. The questions, though good, are a notch down in quality from Learned League to me, and tend to me to be either too easy (science) or too hard (art and literature). The questions come in around 8pm EDT, so I've taken to doing the questions over a 5-10 minute span in the evening, without fretting about knowing the answer or not. If I had an answer immediately, I wrote it down, but many questions I left blank. I found I couldn't stress about dredging out answers over a full day when I was also doing this for LL.

Bottom line, the 3.50 pounds/month price isn't worth it to me with the amount of attention I can (or care to) give to the questions.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by triviawayne » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:30 pm

boson wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 am
Did anyone else here sign up for 2020quiz during the open invitation for Llamas? It is a British/World version of Learned League that operates very similarly (8 questions per day, assign defense to your opponent, topics distributed among subject categories). There is also a one-day-special every day.

I took the one month free trial (just like Netflix!) and I don't think I'm going to continue. The questions, though good, are a notch down in quality from Learned League to me, and tend to me to be either too easy (science) or too hard (art and literature). The questions come in around 8pm EDT, so I've taken to doing the questions over a 5-10 minute span in the evening, without fretting about knowing the answer or not. If I had an answer immediately, I wrote it down, but many questions I left blank. I found I couldn't stress about dredging out answers over a full day when I was also doing this for LL.

Bottom line, the 3.50 pounds/month price isn't worth it to me with the amount of attention I can (or care to) give to the questions.
I'm doing it but won't continue. A few reasons.

I don't want to do this in the evening after 8pm.

If I had a hectic day, the 8pm deadline is too early for me to avoid forfeit.

I don't want to do both 2020 and LL at the same time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Woof wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm
The One Day topics are getting pretty obscure. Hate to pull a TPH here, but I can't say I've ever heard of either Nathan For You or Tom Chapin!
I couldn't agree more. I was looking ahead to the next month's worth of topics and a hard time finding nding more than 2 that I felt worth entering. I have nothing against topics that I'm not expert in, but far too many seem too obscure to me to even attempt.
Yesterday's "Canadian Sports" worked for several of us boardies! Congrats to TsujiG (TurdFerguson here, but not for some time) and OntarioQuizzer for getting all 12 and placing first and fourth. I also got 12, but didn't money as well and came 10th.

That was a wheelhouse category, for sure. I only realize now that I didn't even look at the picture for question 8 - my hubris fortunately didn't come back to haunt me.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1435
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Had my first top ten finish in a one-day: The War of 1812. It helped that I live where I do. I've seen oodles of Laura Secord stores on my trips to Ontario, we pass the site of the Battle of the Thames on our way to the Stratford Festival, and the River Raisin battlefield is 20 miles from where I live.

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 pm

boson wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm
Woof wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm
The One Day topics are getting pretty obscure. Hate to pull a TPH here, but I can't say I've ever heard of either Nathan For You or Tom Chapin!
I couldn't agree more. I was looking ahead to the next month's worth of topics and a hard time finding nding more than 2 that I felt worth entering. I have nothing against topics that I'm not expert in, but far too many seem too obscure to me to even attempt.
Yesterday's "Canadian Sports" worked for several of us boardies! Congrats to TsujiG (TurdFerguson here, but not for some time) and OntarioQuizzer for getting all 12 and placing first and fourth. I also got 12, but didn't money as well and came 10th.

That was a wheelhouse category, for sure. I only realize now that I didn't even look at the picture for question 8 - my hubris fortunately didn't come back to haunt me.
I can't believe equestrian wasn't accepted for the Ian Miller question. I'm fake furious.

And for the people who haven't heard of Nathan For You.... I'm sorry. I think I've watched every episode 5 times by now. It's the greatest tv show ever created.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 am

Equestrian kept me from being in the upper decile in the Canadian Sports 1DS. I had the highest score in the War of 1812 1DS that didn't get the Laura Secord question right. I thought I had heard of most of the existing brands of ice cream, but that one has skipped by.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm

That weird feeling you get seeing your name directly in between VeredJ and ChernicoffS in the Old Radio ML standings.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm
That weird feeling you get seeing your name directly in between VeredJ and ChernicoffS in the Old Radio ML standings.
That's rarefied territory. Bravo!
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 am

Hmmm, so today's 1-day on Thomas Hardy is NOT about the Christopher Nolan actor. Oops.
Won some of Ben Stein's money, some of Roger Lodge's, some of Chris Harrison's. None of Alex Trebek's.

Post Reply