TD 333: London Calling (Final Standings Posted!)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

TD 333: London Calling (Final Standings Posted!)

Post by barandall800 »

Welcome to Think Different 333, London Calling. I've stepped out of my too-busy-to-host-a-TD-during-the-school-year cave because I'm going to London in May on a Study Abroad to listen to the best choirs in the world, I got inspired with a game idea, and now here we are. All 11 of these questions are themed pretty closely around London, though even if you're an Anglophobe, there's still lots here that you'll likely know, so never fear.

On to the rules (nothing too different than the usual TD game):

1. Basic TD rules apply (lowest score wins, wrong answers are a penalty of 5 points plus the sheep, etc.)
2. You may DROP one question for a score of 0.
3. You may also choose the SHEEP on one question for a score of the most popular answer on that question.
4. As always, no intentional outside research or cheating is allowed. Use only your brains.
5. DO NOT POST answers in this thread, nor post any comment that would give away an answer. Feel free to send me a PM if you need any clarifications that would give away an answer. I will be posting all of them relevant for everyone below.
6. Ties will be broken based on order of entry, which is based on the timestamp from when you submit the Google form.

Submissions will be due Monday, February 20 at 4 PM MST. Due to the Great JBoard Outage of 2017, I will now accept submissions until Tuesday, February 21 at 4:30 PM MST. I will accept any late entries until I get ready to start the reveal.

Please submit via this Google form.
Last edited by barandall800 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 16 times in total.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

The Questions

Post by barandall800 »

1. The London area is served by six international airports. Give the name of one of these airports, or one of their official three-letter IATA airport codes.

2. London has been well-covered in popular song. Fill in the blank for one of the following song/artist pairs, either part of the song title or the artist’s name, as indicated (in two cases, hints have been given to help identify the artist):
Spoiler
______ London -- Can’t Stop (feat. Kanye West)
Jamie Cullum -- London ______
_______ Clementine -- London (winner of the 2015 Mercury Prize)
London ______ -- Wasting My Young Years
Coldplay -- _______ of London
_____ & Him -- London
Warren Zevon -- _______ of London
The Clash -- London ________
Vanessa ______ -- London (singer/pianist/songwriter known for “A Thousand Miles”)
Michael Buble -- A ______ Day (In London Town)
Fergie -- London _______
The Clash (again) -- London’s ________
Josh Groban -- London _______
3. British politicians have been in American news a bit more often lately due to the recent Brexit vote. British government is, of course, based in London. Name one of the following currently serving or recently stepped-down British politicians based on descriptions of their positions/etc.:
Spoiler
Current Leader of the Labour Party
Current Prime Minister
Current Mayor of London
Former Leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party; Member of European Parliament for South East England
Former Prime Minister; Member of Parliament for Witney 2001-2016
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer 2011-2015; contestant on “Strictly Come Dancing” in 2016; once memorably sent out his first and last name as a tweet
Current Health Secretary
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party 2007-2015
Current Foreign Secretary; former Mayor of London
Leader of the Labour Party 2010-2015
President of the International Rescue Committee; Member of Parliament for South Shields 2001-2013; brother of the former Labour Party leader mentioned above
Justice Secretary 2015-2016; third-place candidate in 2016 Conservative Party leadership election; author and columnist for The Times
Current Chancellor of the Exchequer
4. Football (the real kind) is extremely popular in London and throughout England. The prestigious Premier League features 5 clubs based in London. Name one of these clubs, or any of the 20 clubs competing in the Premier League for the 2016-17 season. (Note: Newcastle United, Norwich City, and Aston Villa were all relegated to the EFL Championship for the 2016-17 season. As such, they are not correct answers.)

5. London is extremely well-represented in film, largely because of its distinctive and versatile character. Based on one of the following brief synopses, name one of the following films set in whole or in part in London:
Spoiler
An American composer played by Dustin Hoffman and a British airport worker played by Emma Thompson fall in love in London, over the course of only three days.
A spunky American teenager played by Amanda Bynes goes to London to find her long-lost father, played by Colin Firth.
George Segal and Glenda Jackson have an affair in London and Spain.
A carefree bachelor played by Hugh Grant learns responsibility from someone much younger.
Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Clive Owen, and Natalie Portman are romantically entangled.
Two tennis players -- played by Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst -- find love.
In an adaptation of a play, Paul Scofield stars as Sir Thomas More.
Lindsay Lohan plays a dual role as twin daughters of an estranged couple.
A bear from darkest Peru befriends a family of Londoners.
In this sequel to Peter Pan set during World War II, Wendy Darling’s skeptical daughter Jane is kidnapped by Captain Hook.
Audrey Hepburn plays a Cockney flower girl that Professor Henry Higgins aims to refine.
Five girls in a band together prepare for a major concert at Royal Albert Hall.
6. I am currently in a class studying British literary history until the 1800s. However, I previously took a class studying British literary history from a little before the 1800s and on to today, which to be honest was much more interesting. Many of the authors we studied were from London or at the very least based there (though not all). Name one of the authors of the following works I read in that class:
Spoiler
Pride and Prejudice
“The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”
“Goblin Market”
Hard Times
“Lines composed a few miles above Tintern Abbey”
Things Fall Apart
“My Last Duchess”
“She walks in beauty”
Mrs. Dalloway
“The Tyger”
Heart of Darkness
“La Belle Dame sans Merci”
The Importance of Being Earnest
“A Vindication of the Rights of Woman”
7. In my previous UK-themed TD game, I included an extremely open-ended and somewhat obscure question about British supermarket chains. This time, I’m pinning things down much better -- and making this a considerably easier question. Name one of the supermarket chains shown in the following pictures of one of their London locations. SUPERMARKETS
Spoiler
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
8. I am a huge fan of the popular celebrity dancing show on which “Dancing with the Stars” is based, “Strictly Come Dancing,” which has now gone through 14 series. It is broadcast from BBC Television Centre in London (with a show every series typically broadcast from the Blackpool Tower Ballroom). A majority of its celebrity contestants would be completely unfamiliar to American audiences; however, some names are conceivably recognizable from this side of the pond. Name one of the following contestants on “Strictly Come Dancing” based on their descriptions, or the answer to trivia clues about them:
Spoiler
Presenter and maths expert on “Countdown” from 1982 to 2008
Current co-presenter and maths expert on “Countdown”
Will Young was the winner of the inaugural season of this Simon Cowell-judged show in 2002
Musician, actress, and presenter known as Baby Spice
American singer whose hits include “I’m Outta Love” and “Paid My Dues” and who almost shares a name with a long-lost legendary Grand Duchess
Actress Anita Dobson is the wife of this astrophysicist and Queen guitarist
Singer Lulu performed this James Bond theme song
Jimi Mistry’s many credits include the title role in “The Guru” and Benny the talking book in this 2004 Anne Hathaway fantasy romantic comedy
Now a clinical psychologist, New Zealand-born Pamela Stephenson was a cast member on this show from 1984 to 1985
Jake Wood was the voice of the spokesgecko for this insurance company until 2015
American model and actress who was the wife of Mick Jagger from 1990 to 1999
Colin Salmon acted in “Tomorrow Never Dies,” “The World Is Not Enough,” and “Die Another Day” as Charles Robinson, Deputy Chief of Staff of MI6, alongside a superior played by this distinguished actress
Czech-born Swiss tennis player and winner of 5 Grand Slam women’s singles titles and 12 Grand Slam women’s doubles titles, with a silver medal in women’s doubles from the 2016 Olympics
Former member of Destiny’s Child with the same name as the star of “My Week with Marilyn”
Tennis coach and mother of two professional tennis players (one of which is the reigning Wimbledon champion in men’s singles)
9. This wouldn’t be a London or British-themed TD without a question about the monarchy. Name one of the six Tudor monarchs of England/England & Ireland, or one of the six Stuart monarchs of Great Britain and Ireland/England, Scotland, and Ireland. (Note: Two monarchs had one regnal name/numeral as King of Scotland, and another numeral as King of England. I want the ones they used as King of England.)

10. London is the home to many famous landmarks and buildings. Name one of the well-known London landmarks pictured. LANDMARKS
Spoiler
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
11. This past November we had the privilege of performing Handel’s Messiah with world-renowned London-based choral ensemble Tenebrae. Based on the first letter of each word of the title, name one of the following choruses from Handel’s Messiah:
Spoiler
A T G O T L
A W L S
W I T L
G T G I T H
B T L O G
F U U A C I B
O T T T G T T Z
H
A H S P
S H H B O G
S B M C D
A W H S W A H
L U B T B A
L U Y H, O Y G
A
Last edited by barandall800 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Questions Coming Soon)

Post by barandall800 »

Entry List (37):
Spoiler
  1. casketromance
  2. Magna
  3. 1stlvlthinker
  4. Captain Obvious
  5. ElendilPickle
  6. bevnar
  7. MattKnowles
  8. Peachbox
  9. Rackme32
  10. mcsheffrey
  11. morbeedo
  12. immaf
  13. Kirbstar
  14. Olduvai George
  15. Vintsanity
  16. gamawire
  17. Maven
  18. Category 13
  19. Kevin S.
  20. MarkBarrett
  21. floridagator
  22. Tybalteon
  23. mennoknight
  24. classicroadster
  25. guessonguessonguess
  26. pauerpoint
  27. rpryor03
  28. Blue Lion
  29. econgator
  30. Aunt_Ija
  31. xxaaaxx
  32. CailinGaoilge
  33. 9021amyers
  34. dklee12
  35. Cat Hammarskjold
  36. Ihavejeoprosy
  37. spell4yr
Clarifications/Notes:
Question 7: The way the photos are presented is intentional.
Question 9: There is a disputed monarch in the House of Tudor that was never crowned. They will be accepted as a correct answer.
Question 11: Given that I have provided you the first letter of each word in the title for each chorus, I would prefer that answers for this question be as close to using all those words as possible. However, given that some choruses are referred to with names of different lengths, and for the sake of being fairly lenient, I will accept reasonably close responses. For example, say there was a chorus called "And Thus They Did Twerk All Night." I would accept things along the lines of "And Thus They Did Twerk" and "They Did Twerk All Night." "Twerk All Night" would be accepted, though I would advise that player to include as much information as possible. :)
Last edited by barandall800 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls. :mrgreen:
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Woof wrote:Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls. :mrgreen:
Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Questions Now Posted!)

Post by barandall800 »

Before too many people notice: How do you get images linked from to be small/uniform sizes, as Morbeedo was able to do with his TD? (I couldn't figure it out, so the images directly linked here are huge.)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

barandall800 wrote:Before too many people notice: How do you get images linked from to be small/uniform sizes, as Morbeedo was able to do with his TD? (I couldn't figure it out, so the images directly linked here are huge.)
on the imgur page where you grab the pic link, there are size options on the bottom right. if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you a screenshot
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

morbeedo wrote:
barandall800 wrote:Before too many people notice: How do you get images linked from to be small/uniform sizes, as Morbeedo was able to do with his TD? (I couldn't figure it out, so the images directly linked here are huge.)
on the imgur page where you grab the pic link, there are size options on the bottom right. if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you a screenshot
I found it! And then promptly the board went down so I couldn't fix anything. :lol: I'll get those changed right now ... thanks for the info!
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

9021amyers wrote:
Woof wrote:Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls. :mrgreen:
Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust.
No, it hasn't - I just heard about it on the fake news last night!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Woof

Re: The Questions

Post by Woof »

barandall800 wrote: 4. Football (the real kind) is extremely popular in London and throughout England. The prestigious Premier League features 5 clubs based in London. Name one of these clubs, or any of the 20 clubs competing in the Premier League for the 2016-17 season.
So, if I read this correctly, we are to name one of the 20 teams in the EPL, regardless of whether they're London teams. I'm not quite sure why you worded it as an either/or question.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: The Questions

Post by barandall800 »

Woof wrote:
barandall800 wrote: 4. Football (the real kind) is extremely popular in London and throughout England. The prestigious Premier League features 5 clubs based in London. Name one of these clubs, or any of the 20 clubs competing in the Premier League for the 2016-17 season.
So, if I read this correctly, we are to name one of the 20 teams in the EPL, regardless of whether they're London teams. I'm not quite sure why you worded it as an either/or question.
Sorry about that. It was a kind of clumsy attempt to tie the question further into the theme. I am indeed asking for any of the 20 clubs, irrespective of whether they're London-based or not.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

A little weekend bump. We're up to 27 entries, and there's 72 hours left to enter! Still lots of singletons left (many of them surprising). :)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Closes Tuesday!)

Post by barandall800 »

One more bump with a little less than 24 hours to go. We're up to 31 entries! Can we make it 40? 50? Still lots of singletons up for grabs.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Closes Tuesday 4:30 PM MST)

Post by barandall800 »

3 hours left! Get those entries in and don't miss out!
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Closes TODAY 4:30 PM MST)

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

I already submitted. For question one, are the airport names and iata codes considered different answers?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Closes TODAY 4:30 PM MST)

Post by barandall800 »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:I already submitted. For question one, are the airport names and iata codes considered different answers?
Correct.

As a side note, entries will stay open for a little bit until I can get recent entries into the Tracker and get ready to start the reveal.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 333: London Calling (Entries Closed; Reveal to begin soon)

Post by barandall800 »

Entries are officially closed! We ended up with a total of 37 entrants. The reveal will begin shortly.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Question 1: London International Airports

Post by barandall800 »

1. The London area is served by six international airports. Give the name of one of these airports, or one of their official three-letter IATA airport codes.

I can't say the sheep here is terribly surprising. At one point, 4 entries in a row submitted an answer of Gatwick. Heathrow, somewhat more surprisingly as I had a feeling most of you tried to avoid it, didn't do too badly, coming in only 3 responses behind the sheep. As usual, some weird psychology at work -- two of you answered London City's IATA code, but none of you used the actual airport name. LHR's fairly well-known code (I would think ... ) also went unused. :)

Wrong answers – 15 points
ATL
Category 13

LUT
Blue Lion

Gatwick — 10 responses
Aunt_Ija
Cat Hammarskjold
classicroadster
ElendilPickle
immaf
Kevin S.
Kirbstar
MarkBarrett
morbeedo
Olduvai George

Heathrow — 7 responses
1stlvlthinker
Captain Obvious
gamawire
Maven
Rackme32
spell4yr
xxaaaxx

Luton — 4 responses
9021amyers
bevnar
Peachbox
rpryor03

Stansted — 4 responses
casketromance
dklee12
Magna
mcsheffrey

Gatwick
LGW — 3 responses
CailinGaoilge
floridagator
Ihavejeoprosy

London City
LCY — 2 responses
mennoknight
pauerpoint

Stansted
STN — Singleton!
econgator

DROP
guessonguessonguess
MattKnowles
Tybalteon
Vintsanity

Unused correct responses
London City Airport
Southend Airport
LHR (Heathrow code)
LTN (Luton code)
SEN (Southend code)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Standings after Question 1

Post by barandall800 »

1. guessonguessonguess — 0 pts
1. MattKnowles — 0 pts
1. Tybalteon — 0 pts
1. Vintsanity — 0 pts
5. econgator — 1 pts

6. mennoknight — 2 pts
6. pauerpoint — 2 pts
8. CailinGaoilge — 3 pts
8. floridagator — 3 pts
8. Ihavejeoprosy — 3 pts

11. 9021amyers — 4 pts
11. bevnar — 4 pts
11. casketromance — 4 pts
11. dklee12 — 4 pts
11. Magna — 4 pts

11. mcsheffrey — 4 pts
11. Peachbox — 4 pts
11. rpryor03 — 4 pts
19. 1stlvlthinker — 7 pts
19. Captain Obvious — 7 pts

19. gamawire — 7 pts
19. Maven — 7 pts
19. Rackme32 — 7 pts
19. spell4yr — 7 pts
19. xxaaaxx — 7 pts

26. Aunt_Ija — 10 pts
26. Cat Hammarskjold — 10 pts
26. classicroadster — 10 pts
26. ElendilPickle — 10 pts
26. immaf — 10 pts

26. Kevin S. — 10 pts
26. Kirbstar — 10 pts
26. MarkBarrett — 10 pts
26. morbeedo — 10 pts
26. Olduvai George — 10 pts

36. Blue Lion — 15 pts
36. Category 13 — 15 pts
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Question 2: London in Popular Song

Post by barandall800 »

2. London has been well-covered in popular song. Fill in the blank for one of the following song/artist pairs, either part of the song title or the artist’s name, as indicated (in two cases, hints have been given to help identify the artist):
Spoiler
______ London -- Can’t Stop (feat. Kanye West)
Jamie Cullum -- London ______
_______ Clementine -- London (winner of the 2015 Mercury Prize)
London ______ -- Wasting My Young Years
Coldplay -- _______ of London
_____ & Him -- London
Warren Zevon -- _______ of London
The Clash -- London ________
Vanessa ______ -- London (singer/pianist/songwriter known for “A Thousand Miles”)
Michael Buble -- A ______ Day (In London Town)
Fergie -- London _______
The Clash (again) -- London’s ________
Josh Groban -- London _______
So I readily admit to including a few of these mainly because they had "London" in the name and I thought they were conceivably gettable ... but mostly because I loved the songs. It appears that there are no stealthy fellow Jamie Cullum or Benjamin Clementine fans out there, so I might as well share the songs in question while I have the platform to do so. Fun fact: 3 out of 4 of the Vanessa Carlton responses came in the last bunch of entries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJMhYtYKMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eihd51iJJZ0

Wrong answers – 12 points
HER
mcsheffrey

HUDGENS
Tybalteon

STREETS
Magna

The Clash
London CALLING — 7 responses
CailinGaoilge