Monday, February 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Game Recap for Show #7466, 2017-02-13

2017 College Tournament quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Netanel Paley, a senior at Yeshiva University from Teaneck, New Jersey
Esteban Fernandez, a freshman at San Francisco State University from Coronado, California
Lilly Chin, a senior at MIT from Decatur, Georgia

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our annual tournament that has, in the past, produced some very excited and unexpected moments. Let's see what happens this year. Today, we have two seniors and one freshman. Good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! round. And now let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BASKETS OF ADORABLES (5/5)
CELEBRITY SIBLING SURNAMES (4/5)
IN OLDEN TIMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MULTIPLE MEANINGS (5/5)
LANGUAGES (5/5)
SEEING RED (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lilly: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Netanel: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Esteban: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lilly found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Lilly had $3,200, Esteban had $1,000, and Netanel was at $400. Lilly wagered $1,200.

IN OLDEN TIMES $800: This year: Harold III becomes king of England for 9 months before getting conquered by another guy

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lilly: $6,600
Esteban: $1,000
Netanel: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Netanel Paley is a senior at Yeshiva University. His major is biology, but he also has done some pro bono work, and I wanna hear what you did to raise money for a worthwhile charity.

Netanel: Um, so, I um, perform music for seniors and children in hospitals and nursing homes. I sing a little bit and I play guitar and piano.

Alex: Do you appear as a soloist, or do you have others who work with you and you have a combo?

Netanel: I usually go with students from my university.

Alex: Good for you. And uh, seniors, huh?

Netanel: Yeah.

Alex: As you heard, we have a few in our audience today, and I'm sure they'd be happy to hear that.

Alex: Esteban Fernandez, freshman at San Francisco State University. You once ran a concert to do what?

Esteban: It was a concert during Thanksgiving. We called it Yam Fest, and it was to raise money for a food bank in San Diego for people with cancer and HIV/AIDS, so.

Alex: Good for you. Two pro bono activists here.

Alex: Now we come to Lilly Chin from Decatur, Georgia. I do a lot of work around the home, and so I am most interested in something--a piece of equipment, machinery that you devised. A lathe that is really, really sharp. Tell me about that.

Lilly: So I got to take a class at MIT called Elements of Mechanical Design. And we made a lathe that can handle aluminum to 50 micron precision, which is a third of the width of a sheet of paper. So, yeah.

Alex: What would you use it for?

Lilly: So we used it in the class for a competition, just to see how precisely we could do it. But it also had to take getting hit by a sledgehammer and getting dropped on the floor.

Alex: Whoa. Hello.

Lilly: Yeah.

Alex: All right. I'm glad you are working on our future tools.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITY SIBLING SURNAMES $800: Kelly, Jack & the seldom-seen Aimee

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lilly: $7,200
Esteban: $4,200
Netanel: $4,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FACTS ON FEBRUARY (4/5)
BODIES OF WATER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SEMILITERATE BEFORE & AFTER (3/5)
A "B"-PLUS STUDENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BROADWAY MUSICALS (5/5)
REMEMBER 2016? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lilly: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Netanel: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Esteban: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Netanel snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Lilly had $12,400, Esteban had $5,400, and Netanel was at $6,200. Netanel wagered $3,000.

BODIES OF WATER $1200: The "thumb" of Michigan's "mitten" juts north into this Great Lake

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lilly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Lilly had $13,200, Esteban had $5,400, and Netanel was at $13,600. Lilly wagered $2,000.

A "B"-PLUS STUDENT $2000: An ancient empire lends its name to this term meaning "intricate" or "complex"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SEMILITERATE BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Instead of ending so the ballgame can start, the national anthem leads into a 1932 novel of the future

BODIES OF WATER $2000: In 1992 North Korea & South Korea proposed that this sea off their east coasts be called the East Sea

SEMILITERATE BEFORE & AFTER $2000: 9th century English king who lived in West Egg, New York in a 1920s novel
(Esteban: [No response])

FACTS ON FEBRUARY $1600: We'll lead you down this path named for a February birth flower & early spring bloomer

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lilly: $20,000
Netanel: $15,600
Esteban: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS OF THE BIBLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Lilly: Wager $11,201 to cover Netanel.
Netanel: You'll want to wager $4,401, and you'll win the game if Lilly wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Esteban: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It begins with God saying, "Take ye the sum of all the congregation of the children of Israel"

FINAL SCORES
Esteban: $7,400 - $7,400 = $0 (What is Exodus) (3rd place)
Netanel: $15,600 + $2,400 = $18,000 (What is Numbers?) (2nd place)
Lilly: $20,000 + $4,399 = $24,399 (What is Numbers) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: If you knew that he was speaking to Moses, it might lead you in an incorrect direction.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lilly: $19,600, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Netanel: $13,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Esteban: $7,400, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Lilly: 28/60 = .467
Netanel: 18/59 = .305
Esteban: 11/58 = .190
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BASKETS OF ADORABLES $800: Look closely at the feet, and you should be able to name this species of the flower aficionado seen here

IN OLDEN TIMES $1000: Around 313: this Roman emperor starts championing Christianity
(Netanel: Who is Justinian?)

LANGUAGES $400: This language is spoken by about 11 million in Europe & about 200 million in South America
(Netanel: What is Spanish?)

BASKETS OF ADORABLES $600: A wildlife rescue center in France is a bon place for a basket of these

LANGUAGES $600: Almost extinct, the Coeur d'Alene language is spoken by a few Native Americans on a reservation in this U.S. state
(Lilly: What is Oklahoma?)

BASKETS OF ADORABLES $1000: Despite the name, a cat with this color pattern is not a member of the turtle family

BASKETS OF ADORABLES $400: Here's a not-so-giant panda at a giant panda base in this country

SEEING RED $200: It's the precious variety of corundum seen here

BASKETS OF ADORABLES $200: This 8-letter baby isn't ugly in the least

FACTS ON FEBRUARY $1200: The last month of the Roman year, February became our second month when this calendar was proclaimed in 1582
(Lilly: What is the Julian calendar?)

BODIES OF WATER $1600: This river rises in the Alps and flows through France to the Mediterranean, the most important river to do so

REMEMBER 2016? $800: On August 17th, she was named Donald Trump's campaign manager

A "B"-PLUS STUDENT $400: Seen here, they can sometimes be in black-and-white too

CORRECT RESPONSES
Osbourne
Lake Huron
Byzantine
the home of the Brave New World
the Sea of Japan
Alfred the Great Gatsby
the primrose path
Numbers
a three-toed sloth
Constantine
Portuguese
hedgehogs
Idaho
tortoiseshell
China
ruby
duckling
the Gregorian calendar
the Rhone
Kellyanne Conway
a blueprint

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS OF THE BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It begins with God saying, “Take ye the sum of all the congregation of the children of Israel”

Lilly Chin: 20000+4399=24399 (Semi-finalist)
Esteban Fernandez: 7400-7400=0
Netanel Paley: 15600+2400=18000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Numbers (Esteban – Exodus)

Daily Doubles
Lilly: 3200+1200
Netanel: 6200+3000
Lilly: 13200+2000

Coryats
Lilly: 19600
Esteban: 7400
Netanel: 13800

Combined: 40,800

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Fine primrose path is not known by college students. They're so young they don't even know the Osborne children? :cry:

Exodus as a guess was very much expected and I'll put it on the poll as I'm sure it will get some votes.
Numbers for me spotting "sum" and guessing where the clue was heading.

With J! Board down I spent more time than usual reading posts at previously.tv and reddit. Yes, it's nice to have this place back.

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 pm

A very well-played game from a trivia knowledge perspective. If this a sign of the caliber of play for the rest of the quarterfinals, we're in for a much tougher, more exciting college tournament than the last one.

I was rooting hard for Netanel, who displayed strong knowledge, but likely cost himself precious milliseconds on the buzzer by holding it up and off the table, instead resting it on the table like Lilly did. Also, while it's great that he mashed, he shouldn't have shook the buzzer up and down, which was more unnecessary motion.

Lilly was extremely fast in figuring things out, judging by the speed of her DD and FJ responses. Amusingly, despite being a MIT senior and DD hunting throughout, she made questionable wagering choices. While nowhere near as bad as doing so in a regular game because of the wild-card slots, I still dislike betting only $1200 on a first board DD with $3200 in hand. At that point she should have simply been focused on getting as high a score as possible.

Her second DD wager was fine, but I don't like betting $4399 on FJ. In the event of a wrong answer, she is still at some risk of missing out on a wild-card slot. Not a big one, maybe 20%, but why gamble there at all? Betting $0 was a virtually guaranteed entry into the next round.

LT: Osbourne, Alfred the Great Gatsby

FJ: I'm terrible on the Bible, and went with the obviously wrong Exodus.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm not sure how fair those religion questions are in a tournament setting. Wasn't there also a tournament in which there was a FJ about The Book of Mormon (not the musical)?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 pm

IronNeck wrote: Her second DD wager was fine, but I don't like betting $4399 on FJ. In the event of a wrong answer, she is still at some risk of missing out on a wild-card slot. Not a big one, maybe 20%, but why gamble there at all? Betting $0 was a virtually guaranteed entry into the next round.

I think a score of $15,601 would be pretty safe for a wild card, though that is more than I would have bet. No real need to bet anything, maybe a few bucks in case Netanel tries to top me by a dollar. I would have bet no more than $3,599. That beast Netanel by a dollar if he bets $800.

In Netnael's position, I might have stayed put or bet $799. Wild cards are a crap shoot, but that is getting close to where the last wild cards are awarded. Esteben had to bet it all, unfortunately it did not work out for him.

I did consider Exodus, but the wording led me away from that and to the correct book.

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:46 pm

floridagator wrote:I'm not sure how fair those religion questions are in a tournament setting. Wasn't there also a tournament in which there was a FJ about The Book of Mormon (not the musical)?
BOTD Friday finals. Went 0-3.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:52 pm

There's a local carwash commercial that uses the Wilhelm scream. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

====

It was really blatant that they were maxing out the appluase machine in the intro. I don't think I've even heard Wheel use it that egregiously.

I negged with porcupine for hedgehog. That seemed like a coinflip, since I usually think of porcupines as having thicker quills like that.

Ran the More than One Meaning category.

NHO any of those Hemsworths.

Languages for $400 was absolutely monstrous negbait for Spanish.

I think of burrows as being for rabbits, not foxes.

WLT Hamilton at $400?

Lach Trash: "Home of the Brave New World", primrose.

I knew what the FJ! was going for, but had a mental block and couldn't pull either Exodus or Numbers.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Fine primrose path is not known by college students.
I've only ever heard it as "garden path", but I knew that couldn't be right.
MarkBarrett wrote:They're so young they don't even know the Osborne children? :cry:
I am considerably older and I don't know them.
MarkBarrett wrote:With J! Board down I spent more time than usual reading posts at previously.tv and reddit. Yes, it's nice to have this place back.
I wholeheartedly agree. Except I wasn't doing too much on other sites while JBoard was down.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I negged with porcupine for hedgehog. That seemed like a coinflip, since I usually think of porcupines as having thicker quills like that.
Oh, I don't know. They showed a picture, so that kinda ruled out everything else (including porcupines).
TenPoundHammer wrote:Languages for $400 was absolutely monstrous negbait for Spanish.
I wouldn't say absolutely monstrous, but I'd lean toward negbait. Then again, the population would probably have led to the correct response if I were smarter.
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Hamilton at $400?
I don't know. I live here and I didn't get it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Coryat: $40,000
52 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Osbourne, Home of the Brave New World, primrose path

Those kids were good! I wouldn't be surprised to see both Lilly and Netanel in the finals.
floridagator wrote:I'm not sure how fair those religion questions are in a tournament setting. Wasn't there also a tournament in which there was a FJ about The Book of Mormon (not the musical)?
Why? Religion, particularly of the Judeo-Christian variety, is very much within the J! canon.
Sprinkles are for winners.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:35 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I negged with porcupine for hedgehog. That seemed like a coinflip, since I usually think of porcupines as having thicker quills like that.
Ditto.
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO any of those Hemsworths.
Dude! Seriously? One is in the Thor films, the other in the Hunger Games. Total heartthrobs! Like Scott Baio in the 80s! ;)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Languages for $400 was absolutely monstrous negbait for Spanish.
Ditto. But in hindsight, Portugal makes sense.
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Hamilton at $400?
If you saw the musical or listened to the cast album or read the Chernow book I guess, then Peggy Schuyler would get you there. This summer, on a whim, I entered the Hamilton lottery on my lunch break and WON. Took the rest of the day off and saw the show with a friend. $20 for 2 front row seats. Amazing!

How many of you got tortoiseshell in Basket of Adorables? I heard this for the first time when I adopted this pastel tortie in July. Isn't she cute?
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:43 pm

*glances around and breathes a sigh of relief* Oh, good...the board being down wasn't just me.

Instagot FJ via equating 'sum' with Numbers. As for Hamilton...you don't even have to see the musical or hear the album, if you read enough of the hype and general commentary about the show on and off the web as I have*, then it should come relatively easily whenever it appears on J!.

* - What I lack in offline reading (which I'm pleased to say isn't much of a lack) is more than made up by my online reading.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 pm

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I negged with porcupine for hedgehog. That seemed like a coinflip, since I usually think of porcupines as having thicker quills like that.
Oh, I don't know. They showed a picture, so that kinda ruled out everything else (including porcupines).
The creatures looked like they had thicker quills to me. Every hedgehog I've seen looks like it has much finer, more bunched up spines than a porcupine does: usually hedgehogs resemble a bundle of sewing needles, and porcupines, knitting needles. At least the ones I've seen.
morbeedo wrote:
Dude! Seriously? One is in the Thor films, the other in the Hunger Games. Total heartthrobs! Like Scott Baio in the 80s! ;)
And I would watch either of those why?

I did get tortoiseshell.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:10 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:And I would watch either of those why?
Life's greatest mysteries... I dunno, Chris and Liam are pretty famous right now. I only recently heard about the third one. You might have watched a preview or seen them on awards shows or in a magazine. Chris has been in a bunch of movies, Ghostbusters and those silly Snow White movies. Liam is / was dating Miley Cyrus, if that means anything to you. Not arguing that these are important people, but we can agree that pop culture is fairly standard Jeopardy material. I can send you my old Entertainment Weekly's if you want 'em :)

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:22 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
And I would watch either of those why?
To do better in Jeopardy!, of course.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 pm

To my mind, they're all numbers.
I'm smart and I want respect.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:The creatures looked like they had thicker quills to me. Every hedgehog I've seen looks like it has much finer, more bunched up spines than a porcupine does: usually hedgehogs resemble a bundle of sewing needles, and porcupines, knitting needles. At least the ones I've seen.
The only hedgehogs I have ever seen up close were the ones my friend's daughter had as pets. They were identical to those in the pic, so for me it was a no-brainer. I realize not everybody has the same experiences to draw from.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:55 pm

morbeedo wrote: How many of you got tortoiseshell in Basket of Adorables? I heard this for the first time when I adopted this pastel tortie in July. Isn't she cute?
I had a tortie long ago, so it was an instant.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:
The creatures looked like they had thicker quills to me. Every hedgehog I've seen looks like it has much finer, more bunched up spines than a porcupine does: usually hedgehogs resemble a bundle of sewing needles, and porcupines, knitting needles. At least the ones I've seen.
I'm with TPH here, how does one tell porcupines and hedgehogs apart?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012