Fun with GSN's "Divided"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Fun with GSN's "Divided"

Post by Bamaman »

What was the discussion like? Did anybody try to argue for Frankfort?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:What was the discussion like? Did anybody try to argue for Frankfort?
It was a very fast agreement as the money meter shows. If Frankfort was on the radar I did not hear it.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

*clears her throat and does her best epic announcer voice* Ladies and gentlemen...ittttt's JAYWALKING! GSN EDITION!!

I understand that geography is not everybody's forte...but damn. Just damn.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I recorded four episodes that aired over Saturday night and just binge watched them. I'm not giving a complete rundown but here are some observations.

Of the 16 players, one was 44 and everyone else was in their 20s or 30s. I think more were in their 20s.

They seemed to have a lot of survey questions as compared to general knowledge, which makes it harder to get right.

The first round had three questions where you had three options with one correct answer. You started with a certain amount and the total declined with a 60 second limit. If you got it right, the remaining amount was added to your bank and if you were wrong, you lost half of your bank. After the first question, the host gave the team two "takeovers". If you hit the button, your answer was locked in for the team. In the four games I watched, they used seven takeovers and three were wrong.

The second round had three questions with two correct answers.

After the second round, they eliminated one person. Thy had to have three agree or else they started to lose money. I saw two episodes where three agreed and two where two agreed and a third joined them quickly. A wrong takeover spelled doom.

The first question after that was one where you had to put three answers in order.

The final question of the game was worth the most. (I didn't take notes, but I think the value increased on every question). There were three answers and either one, two or three were correct. Here are the questions I saw.

Game 1:

Which is true of the American Red Cross?

A: Won't take your blood if you have a fever.
B: Founded by Clara Barton
C: One gallon of blood taken each donation
Spoiler
They were sure A was right and C was wrong. After a bit of debate, they agreed on B being right, even though they either hadn't heard of her or had a vague idea she existed. The money went from $25,000 to $14,720 when they locked in. (A and B were right).
Game 2:
Which of these is true about the US-Mexican border as of 2016?
A: Less than half of the border is fenced
B: More than half the border is in Texas
C: Canine patrol agents outnumber humans
Spoiler
They were certain A was right and B was wrong. After some debate they agreed C was wrong and locked in with $4,603 left.
Which went away because B was right, in addition to A.
Game 3: Which of these are scheduled to happen in 2022?
A: US presidential election
B: Winter Olympics
C: Leap year
Spoiler
They were certain on B and that A was wrong. But they locked in with C also being right and didn't win $8,255
Game 4: Which of these countries border on the Mediterranean Sea?
A: Egypt
B: Greece
C: Great Britain
Spoiler
After four seconds and $23,210 left, a guy who said he hosted pub trivia used the takeover to lock in A and B. The others weren't certain about A but he was right.

Game 1: The amounts started/ended with:
A: $15,688/$7,030
B: $7.844/$3,515
C: $2,615/$1.172

Game 2: The amounts started/ended with:
A: $3,506/$718
B: $1,753/$359
C: $584/$120

Game 3: The amounts started/ended with:
A: $1,204/$830
B: $602$415
C: $201/$138

Game 4: The amounts started/ended with:
A: $18,701/$10.925
B: $9.350/$5,463
C: $ 3,117/$1,821

The debate for the money lasted 100 seconds. After 50 seconds, each player got 10 seconds to state his or her case. In the third game, one player said he would let one payer have the biggest share and she could decide who got the other two. (I agree she was the best player). She said that guy got the smallest and the other got the middle. He agreed and that was it.

In the last game, the takeover guy got the biggest share and the other two agreed before they got halfway through.

It was interesting the last question was both worth the most and the easiest. It was always straight trivia that most on here would know. The other questions were mostly surveys. If I were on the show, I wouldn't hit the takeover until the last question as that would be one I would most likely know cold. A bold move like that would likely earn me the biggest share.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Boy that was a painful read.
Spoiler
I can see finding 3 contestants that only have a 'vague idea' who Clara Barton was (even if that is a depressing thought), but three people who think 2022 will be a leap year??? Jaywalking GSN indeed.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
After four seconds and $23,210 left, a guy who said he hosted pub trivia used the takeover to lock in A and B. The others weren't certain about A but he was right.
This strikes me as a terrible question, due to the existence of Gibraltar. Am I crazy or is that super ambiguous?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
This strikes me as a terrible question, due to the existence of Gibraltar. Am I crazy or is that super ambiguous?
There is also the issue of there being no country called Great Britain.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
Not at all. Great Britain is the island only. If they had shown the United Kingdom, that'd be a different story.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
Not at all. Great Britain is the island only. If they had shown the United Kingdom, that'd be a different story.
Well okay but, as mentioned, Great Britain by itself is not a country. I think the logical assumption is that they're referring to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which does have territory on the Mediterranean.

Imagine the question "does America have any territory within 3000 miles of Samoa?"

Well sure, there's Hawaii and Guam and, of course, American Samoa. But wait, "America" is not a country. Now what do I answer?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Here is a question from a game last week.

Which of these statements are true about Bill Clinton (Two are correct)

A. He has been married over half his life
B. He has won two Grammys
C. He was once U.S. Senator

A guy who said he was a trivia expert and had never lost a contest hit the takeover button and locked in the team with A and C, because he didn't think he had won a Grammy. No, he did not misread the question and think it was about Hillary.

The host stated he won one for Spoken Word for reading his book.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 pm A guy who said he was a trivia expert and had never lost a contest
I've noticed there are a lot of these braggart claims by contestants on the show, which I never hear from people who are actually excellent at trivia.

I also liked a woman who had worked for 5 years waitressing at a bar that hosted a weekly pub quiz. She thought the osmosis would make her formidable at trivia. If only it were so easy...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 am
Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 pm A guy who said he was a trivia expert and had never lost a contest
I've noticed there are a lot of these braggart claims by contestants on the show, which I never hear from people who are actually excellent at trivia.

I also liked a woman who had worked for 5 years waitressing at a bar that hosted a weekly pub quiz. She thought the osmosis would make her formidable at trivia. If only it were so easy...
Same goes for Mensa, if they're bragging about membership, they ain't in. The only person I know personally that is a Mensan (that I know of) I found out quite by accident, she didn't mention it at all. She later introduced me to her Mensan friends at her CGA graduation ceremony, all of which are among the humblest people I've ever met.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 am

They use poor strategy on here as well. Using the takeover early is a waste of money. The first round questions are only worth $5,000, save them until the later rounds. Using them on the poll questions rather than the fact based ones is also risky. (Actually the fact based ones are risky if you are an idiot like the guy on the Bill Clinton question).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, they locked that in to cut their bank in half to around 2000 or so. The meter for that question had begun at 25K and between the three of them they were most sure about Ford as the money went down. William had even drawn attention that the question said "death."

One of them said something about Ford being after Kennedy. The best they had for LBJ was Vietnam and for Truman was Truman defeats.

The team did quickly agree on a divide of the funds with about $200, $600 and $1200.
BobF

Post by BobF »

And somebody on the WOF thread said THAT game show was the complete opposite of Jeopardy! The irony.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Moments like this answer David's question from earlier as to why this show is on. It provides entertainment very cheaply as they don't have to give away a lot of money. They have a total of $95,000, but that would require answering every question correctly before any time ticks away. Even if they answered every question after exactly ten seconds, they would only have a little over $79,000 left before they divided it up.

Mark did not include another amusing moment from this game.

Which NFL team plays its home games closest to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio?

A. Seahawks
B. Patriots
C. Saints

This was a $5,000 question with four players. One guy (who was later voted out) confidently said it was the New England Saints. I think he misspoke, but then he hit the takeover button with $4,099 left and said he wasn't sorry because he was 100% confident in his answer because New England was "way over there" from Canton and that New Orleans was much closer. Rachel said she thought he hit the button too soon and he proceeded to mansplain his NFL knowledge. William thought they should have debated the distance a little more.

I said before using the takeover early is dumb, especially when it is something that requires a little bit of analysis. I think if William had gotten to bring up the geography, he might have swayed the team to the correct answer.

But the presidents question was pure comedy gold. They were certain Ford was after Kennedy, but also said LBJ served during Vietnam. Sadly, Ford was the only one they were certain about.

I actually love this show for moments like this. My only suggestion would be to just start with three people as the voting just seems dumb to me.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

BobF wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 am And somebody on the WOF thread said THAT game show was the complete opposite of Jeopardy! The irony.
I honestly have nothing to say for this AND the last couple of Divided 'best of' moments other than to just leave this here.

"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm...

I actually love this show for moments like this. My only suggestion would be to just start with three people as the voting just seems dumb to me.
The 2nd episode of 3/30 took you up on your suggestion with three players starting and ending the game. Instead of elimination the audience had a vote for the weakest player and the contestants then discussed the result.

The first game had the players 7/7 on getting questions right leading up to the Final Question having them looking at either 61K or 19K for the divide.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:05 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm...

The 2nd episode of 3/30 took you up on your suggestion with three players starting and ending the game. Instead of elimination the audience had a vote for the weakest player and the contestants then discussed the result.

The first game had the players 7/7 on getting questions right leading up to the Final Question having them looking at either 61K or 19K for the divide.
I saw that. They also added an extra question to the game. It was another "put them in order" question. They also got to use the takeover from the start rather than wait until the second question.

I didn't keep count, but they seemed to use more survey questions than they have been.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The second game from Thursday was fun to watch. They got the first question right and then proceeded to get every other one wrong and ended with $23 going into the split. It started with 14/7/2 and ended with 11/5/2 after they agreed on the split.

The sad thing was, there really weren't any moments where I thought they were stupid, they just picked the wrong answer.