Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6253, 2011-11-23

CONTESTANTS
Katherine Philbin, a homemaker from Bedford, New Hampshire
Steven Maio, a family law attorney from Corning, New York
Francis Lansangan, a military analyst from Virginia Beach, Virginia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $40,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our program. On yesterday's show, we, um, threw our three contestants a curve on the outside corner, and they weren't able to catch up with it. Uh, all three missed it, and, uh, as a result, Francis wound up, uh, with the most money, and he's now returning as a 2-day champion. Katherine and Steven, welcome aboard. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round comes first, as it always does. It has one Daily Double, and today it features...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FIRST SUPPER (5/5)
OBSESSIONS (5/5)
GEMS & JEWELRY (5/5)
HORSE BREED NAMES (4/5)
ENDS IN DOUBLE E (5/5)
CHARACTERS IN MOVIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francis: 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Steven: 7 R, 1 W
Katherine: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Francis: $3,200
Steven: $2,600
Katherine: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The family that trains together stays together. That's certainly the case with Katherine Philbin, a homemaker from New Hampshire. You take karate lessons.

Katherine: I take--that's right. I take karate with my two sons. My son Tim is 14, and my son Peter is 11.

Alex: And how far have they progressed?

Katherine: Uh, my son Peter is a green belt, which is kind of an intermediate rank, and my son Tim is about to become a third-degree brown belt, which is getting close to black belt.

Alex: And where are you?

Katherine: I'm a first-degree brown belt.

Alex: Now what about your husband in, uh, in all of this? What's he doing?

Katherine: He's, uh, he's afraid we're gonna have to defend him sometime if we're... [laughs] if we're all out together, but he stays out of it for now.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Uh, Steven Maio from Corning, New York. You were thinking about running for mayor until you got the call to be a Jeopardy! contestant, is that right?

Steven: Right. That--right. I got asked--approached to run for mayor in our town, in Corning, and at the point where I actually had to make a decision one way or the other, that was the day I got the call to be on here, and--

Alex: Well, you know, there's a former Jeopardy! champion--Richard Cordray--when he ran, he had a bumper sticker made saying, "The answer is... Richard Cordray." Okay? So think about that.

Alex: Now, Francis, we've had many players on our show who talk about how their husbands or wives got together, and I'd like to know where you proposed to your wife.

Francis: I proposed to my wife on the Eiffel Tower.

Alex: Ooh, that sounds so romantic. Paris, huh?

Francis: No, uh, it was the Eiffel Tower replica at Kings Dominion in the state of Virginia.

[Laughter]

Francis: I had, uh, I had the engagement ring uh, in a really secure place, in a Ziploc bag in my cargo short pocket throughout the whole day, and at the end of the day before we left, we got up to the, uh, Eiffel Tower, and, uh, my brother and my cousins were there to help me out, and that's where I proposed.

Alex: I hope she said yes.

Francis: She did. [Chuckles]

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Francis found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Francis had $7,000, Steven had $2,400, and Katherine was at $1,600. Francis wagered $3,000.

CHARACTERS IN MOVIES $800: When Winona Ryder whispers, "Hold me", this Johnny Depp title character replies, "I can't"
(Alex: You're right, and we have less than a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HORSE BREED NAMES $800: The name of this horse of the American plains comes from a Spanish word meaning "stray"
(Katherine: What is palomino?)
(Steven: What is pinto?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Francis: $12,200
Steven: $4,000
Katherine: $1,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:31 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RADIO FACES (5/5)
ASIA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE-Y 3-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
AS I RECALL (5/5)
SARAH TONE IN... (4/5) (Alex: That's weird, isn't it?)
CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francis: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Steven: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Katherine: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katherine snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Francis had $16,600, Steven had $4,800, and Katherine was at $5,200. Katherine wagered $4,000.

ASIA $1600: The only U.S. mint ever outside the continental U.S. was opened in 1920 in this Asian country, then a U.S. colony

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steven who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Francis had $21,000, Steven had $8,400, and Katherine was at $9,200. Steven wagered $6,000.

CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $1200: Fittingly, the title character of this 1841 novel dines on venison in Chapter 1

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SARAH TONE IN... $400: "Going Through The Motions" from the "Buffy" musical episode

SCIENCE-Y 3-LETTER WORDS $1600: This unit of illumination shares its name with an old brand of soap & detergent

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Francis: $23,400
Steven: $19,200
Katherine: $12,800

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Before we reveal the Final Jeopardy! clue, a score change to announce, and it affects Katherine. We've given her credit for her response of ground beef earlier with that big recall. The scores are correct as you see them.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WOMEN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Francis: Wager $15,001 to cover Steven.
Steven: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Katherine, hoping that you give the correct response and Francis doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,401 to cover Katherine's doubled score, but no more than $10,800 if you want to top Francis on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $6,399 and win if both Francis and Katherine miss Final.
Katherine: Think about risking $4,400 or less, thereby beating Francis on the Triple Stumper (should Francis wager to cover Steven's doubled score). If you also want to beat Steven on the Triple Stumper, should Steven choose to attempt to cover your doubled score, then wager nothing.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Geraldine Doyle, who in 1942 took a job at a Michigan metal factory, helped inspire the look & job of this iconic character

FINAL SCORES
Katherine: $12,800 + $12,795 = $25,595 (Who is Rosie the Riveter?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Steven: $19,200 + $19,000 = $38,200 (Who is Rosie the Riveter? Riveter?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Francis: $23,400 + $15,001 = $38,401 (Who is Rosie the Riveter?) (3-day champion: $78,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Francis: $21,200, 31 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Steven: $14,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katherine: $10,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $46,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Francis: 32/59 = .542
Steven: 15/59 = .254
Katherine: 14/59 = .237
Team: 61/63 = .968

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HORSE BREED NAMES $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew holds the bridle of a Budweiser Clydesdale at the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St. Louis, MO.) Descendants of the great Flemish horse, which could pull a ton or more walking at 5 miles per hour, the Clydesdales were named for a major river in this country

GEMS & JEWELRY $800: Check out the bejeweled head covering of this living woman

THE FIRST SUPPER $800: This bachelor president's inaugural guests were served 400 gallons of oysters & 60 mutton saddles
(Alex: He's the only bachelor president we've had. Right.)

ASIA $400: It's the northernmost country in Asia
(Katherine: What is China?)

SARAH TONE IN... $2000: Standards like "Lover Man" & "Misty"

RADIO FACES $400: He's seen here a decade before his most famous broadcasts

RADIO FACES $800: Radio nickname of Howard Stern producer & on-air personality Gary Dell'Abate

RADIO FACES $1200: If you're happier listening to this NPR program not knowing what Michele Norris looks like, cover your eyes

RADIO FACES $1600: This Southerner who announced Brooklyn Dodgers games gave fans folksy expressions like "the catbird seat"

RADIO FACES $2000: This disc jockey is often credited with coining the term "rock 'n' roll"

CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $1600: In "The Last of the Mohicans", he's Chingachgook's friend with a name out of "M*A*S*H"
(Francis: What is Uncas?)

CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $2000: In the tale "The Pioneers", it's 1793 & this hunter named for his apparel has spent 50 years in the wilderness
(Francis: What is Buckskin?)

AS I RECALL $400: In 2008 the USDA ordered the recall of 143 million pounds of this meat, though most of it had already been eaten
(Katherine: What is hamburger?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Edward Scissorhands
the mustang
the Philippines
the Deerslayer
Sarah Michelle Gellar
lux
Rosie the Riveter
Scotland
Queen Elizabeth II
Buchanan
Russia
Sarah Vaughan
Churchill
Baba Booey
All Things Considered
Red Barber
Alan Freed
Hawkeye
Leatherstocking
beef

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by KenJenningsFan74 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:21 pm

This was a good game to watch. All three players were willing to make fairly large Daily Double wagers when they felt it necessary, and success on those proactive wagers made for some very high finishing scores. It's not often that $25,595, Katherine Philbin's final total, is good for only third place.

Francis Lansangan is now the biggest winner ($78,401) in the regular season since Joon Pahk, and one more win could very well be enough to punch his ticket for the next Tournament of Champions. Good Luck on the Thanksgiving Day game, Francis! :-)

Vigs
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Vigs » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm so glad I found this board! Can someone explain why, in tonight's show, Russia was considered the northernmost country in Asia, while over the past few weeks, it has twice been counted as being part of Europe? Is one a continental definition and the other more geo-political or something? I'm so confused.

RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Nice job all around by the players. FJ seemed kind of easy to me. To begin with, Sarah Tone-In was a bit irritating; I knew the answer for the first clue called, but had I been in the studio, I might have hesitated since it wasn't really clear what the category was supposed to be. Every once in awhile, they have a category where the contestants burn one clue just to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. Or maybe people just don't remember Buffy that well!

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm

It was nice to see all three players make good advances in the DJ round; non-negligible wagers on the DDs helped. It is unusual to have each of the players finish the game with more than $25,000.

FJ was an instaget.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Instaget Final Jeopardy. 1942 was giveaway. Finally a three day champion again. Hopefully Francis can knock one in the bag tomorrow! (I missed the first 15 clues due to waking up from a nap in the middle of the commercial.)
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Vigs wrote:I'm so glad I found this board! Can someone explain why, in tonight's show, Russia was considered the northernmost country in Asia, while over the past few weeks, it has twice been counted as being part of Europe? Is one a continental definition and the other more geo-political or something? I'm so confused.
Russia is considered to span both Europe and Asia, with the Ural Mountains being considered the dividing line.

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Vigs wrote:I'm so glad I found this board! Can someone explain why, in tonight's show, Russia was considered the northernmost country in Asia, while over the past few weeks, it has twice been counted as being part of Europe? Is one a continental definition and the other more geo-political or something? I'm so confused.
Russia spans both continents and has for quite some time.
RJL wrote:Nice job all around by the players. FJ seemed kind of easy to me. To begin with, Sarah Tone-In was a bit irritating; I knew the answer for the first clue called, but had I been in the studio, I might have hesitated since it wasn't really clear what the category was supposed to be. Every once in awhile, they have a category where the contestants burn one clue just to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. Or maybe people just don't remember Buffy that well!
I was a little surprised that Alex didn't offer any explanation for that category at all.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Alex also forgot that Katherine said "hamburger" instead of "ground beef" for "beef" when he talked about the $400 Recall DJ! reversed ruling before FJ!

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:32 pm

I don't know if Francis is wowing me as a TOC contender with his game play, he at best seems to be just above average, but he very well might get there if he wins one more game. A lot of this board seemed very easy to me, including an instaget final.

Buck
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Buck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Is anyone going to post tonight's FJ answer/question?

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:53 pm

RJL wrote:Nice job all around by the players. FJ seemed kind of easy to me. To begin with, Sarah Tone-In was a bit irritating; I knew the answer for the first clue called, but had I been in the studio, I might have hesitated since it wasn't really clear what the category was supposed to be. Every once in awhile, they have a category where the contestants burn one clue just to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. Or maybe people just don't remember Buffy that well!
Listen, we own all 7 seasons of Buffy on DVD. My wife regularly listens to the CD of Once More with Feeling and probably knows all the words. But when that clue came up, she stared at the screen and said, "Wait, what?" I figured out what they were going for and got my response in before the buzzer. Barely. With no bright lights shining in my face and no loss of points if I'd misunderstood.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 am

The Cooper category was full of good material that future players should look over again if they didn't know any of the names.

It was a good game as each player hit a correct DD and 3000 was the lowest wager.

This is not the FJ clue used on tonight's show, but a version of it I wrote about a year ago and valued at $200 for a regular clue in another place
Spoiler
Show
Geraldine Hoff Doyle was a factory worker who was the inspiration for this icon on a WWII recruiting poster
Francis is looking good to the 2013 version of Buddy Wright as first in.

I was happy to see Captain Queeg not be a TS.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:07 am

Buck wrote:Is anyone going to post tonight's FJ answer/question?
I don't have it handy, but many nights you can find it here when the archive/JBoard doesn't have it yet: http://gskingdom.blogspot.com/

You have to scroll down a bit to get to it and other shows besides J! are listed.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:21 am

I ran the Cooper category even though I've never read any of the books. The Hawkeye clue confused me a bit, since they'd already used Natty Bumpo.

The clue where they showed the crown and asked what woman wears it and it was on the bottom row?

Fj was pretty simple.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:29 am

opusthepenguin wrote:Listen, we own all 7 seasons of Buffy on DVD. My wife regularly listens to the CD of Once More with Feeling and probably knows all the words. But when that clue came up, she stared at the screen and said, "Wait, what?"
And all 5 of Angel. As do I. Again, as do I. As did I. :)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 am

Bamaman wrote:I ran the Cooper category even though I've never read any of the books. The Hawkeye clue confused me a bit, since they'd already used Natty Bumpo.
Unless I've completely forgotten my Cooper, weren't all the clues essentially about Natty Bumpo?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 am

MarkBarrett wrote:The Cooper category was full of good material that future players should look over again if they didn't know any of the names.
Advice taken. I know very little of J F Cooper, except that he wrote the "Leatherstocking Tales" and "Last of the Mohicans" (which may be one of the aforementioned "Tales", I don't know). I also know that M*A*S*H*'s Hawkeye Pierce says that his nickname was from "Last of the Mohicans", a favourite book of his father's. And that's it. Which is why I was a bit surprised that a) his most famous character was "Natty Bumpo", one that I'm barely familiar with, and b) the only one the players got wrong (on first ring-in, nabbed on rebound) was the one on Hawkeye. Me, I was just pouncing on my buzzer at home, waiting to say "Hawkeye" somewhere in the category, and was quite pleased to get the opportunity on a higher value clue.

Interesting moment for me on the "Recall" clue that required a score correction - I rang in with "What is beef?" then, thinking that a BMS was needed, issued "ground beef" a second later. Until the score reversal, I was wondering how this would have been handled on the show, I guess it would have depended if Alex said "yes' (as "beef" seemed to be his only acceptable response at the time) before I said "ground beef" (probably wouldn't have said "ground beef", though, if I wouldn't have been issued a BMS.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:57 am

Buck wrote:Is anyone going to post tonight's FJ answer/question?
This blog http://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-11-23-11/ does the daily doubles, plus the FJs with additional information and, in the event that there is/are wrong answer(s) gives additional info on said wrong answers. Not applicable tonight.