Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

RJL wrote:Nice job all around by the players. FJ seemed kind of easy to me. To begin with, Sarah Tone-In was a bit irritating; I knew the answer for the first clue called, but had I been in the studio, I might have hesitated since it wasn't really clear what the category was supposed to be. Every once in awhile, they have a category where the contestants burn one clue just to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. Or maybe people just don't remember Buffy that well!
The idea I had for Sarah Tone-In would've been better replacing it with Tune-In, but then the title wouldn't make sense.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

david, "The Leatherstocking Tales" are all Natty Bumpo, aka Hawkeye, La Longue Carabine, the deerslayer, the Pathfinder, the leatherstocking, and probably others I've forgotten.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

IF--'hamburger' had been accepted immediately and Francis was therefore unable to rebound, and IF--Steven had gone all in on his DD, which could not have hurt him any worse than an all but $2400 on a miss and could only benefit him on a get, THEN--Steven would have led going into FJ! Just sayin...

I read several of the Leatherstocking Tales from my parents' bookshelf as a child. Most would think them boring, but I caught their rhythm just as a year or two later I caught Dostoevsky's rhythm; enjoyed them all. Time to try Proust again...

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Clue about Buffy in a Sarah category.. I don't think that category needed to be explained. I think a J! contestant should know where that category is going from the title.

The "good DDs" comments bug me. No, the 6000 bet was not a good DD bet. Sorry.

I think 4th games are among the most exciting for me because you know the champ has a lot at stake. Hopefully tomorrow's show won't get preempted by thanksgiving stuff.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On the Austrian stud clue I wagged Schwarzenegger.

Buck
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Buck »

MarkBarrett wrote:
&
RJL wrote:
Thank you! :)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Buck wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
&
RJL wrote:
Shouldn't both those screennames be "Marcel Marceau"?

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Paucle wrote:
Buck wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
&
RJL wrote:
Shouldn't both those screennames be "Marcel Marceau"?
Zing!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
RJL wrote:Nice job all around by the players. FJ seemed kind of easy to me. To begin with, Sarah Tone-In was a bit irritating; I knew the answer for the first clue called, but had I been in the studio, I might have hesitated since it wasn't really clear what the category was supposed to be. Every once in awhile, they have a category where the contestants burn one clue just to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. Or maybe people just don't remember Buffy that well!
The idea I had for Sarah Tone-In would've been better replacing it with Tune-In, but then the title wouldn't make sense.
I still don't undertsand the theme going in that category. Does tone-in have some meaning I'm not getting?

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
I still don't undertsand the theme going in that category. Does tone-in have some meaning I'm not getting?
Sarah Tone-In: Singing Sarahs with the right tone to make the category
Serotonin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:Listen, we own all 7 seasons of Buffy on DVD. My wife regularly listens to the CD of Once More with Feeling and probably knows all the words. But when that clue came up, she stared at the screen and said, "Wait, what?" I figured out what they were going for and got my response in before the buzzer. Barely. With no bright lights shining in my face and no loss of points if I'd misunderstood.
I have never seen an episode of Buffy. I am not even sure I have seen a preview or commercial advertising Buffy. I do, however, know that Buffy is played by some three-named Sarah that occasionally I can blurt out correctly.

But... Tonight (actually, last night as I write this) when I saw the clue I immediately blurted out "Sarah Jessi- D'oh!, not her, the other one!" and got the Michell Geller part just as they were saying it.

It probably had something to do with Sarah Jessica Parker being (part of) a puzzle response on Wheel just moments before. Incidentally, I got that one with no letters revealed on the board.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Buck wrote:Is anyone going to post tonight's FJ answer/question?
It astounds me that people who don't watch the show (at least I am assuming that that is why somebody would not know this info) needs to have somebody on a message board let him know what he missed. Especially in the days of DVR's & such.

Or maybe I'm still rattled by having to explain to the MythTV help people that I really really really don't want to miss my show, so that's why I wish to record it every day on every station that it's on. It turns out MythTV is designed to prevent duplicates, and I was actually challenged by somebody on their help forum with: "If you can explain why you would want to do something so idiotic as duplicate a recording,...".

This isn't Seinfeld or such, where you can tune in any night years after the show is past its initial run and catch the episodes you may have missed. Once it's gone, it's gone.
[/rant]

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The opening song:

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I wasn't someone who watched "Buffy" regularly, but I'm sure some day I'll watch them it end to end and love it. I'd see the occasional episode and it never failed to entertain me. One title always stood out in my mind: "Hush." Absolutely original concept, executed brilliantly.

It's up there with "Kill Switch" from The X-Files, one I'll never fail to watch if I run across it.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:But... Tonight (actually, last night as I write this) when I saw the clue I immediately blurted out "Sarah Jessi- D'oh!, not her, the other one!" and got the Michell Geller part just as they were saying it.

It probably had something to do with Sarah Jessica Parker being (part of) a puzzle response on Wheel just moments before. Incidentally, I got that one with no letters revealed on the board.
[/quote]

Are you sure Sarah Jessica Parker isn't a vampire slayer? I mean, I've seen the women her character hangs out with on Sex and the City ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Paucle wrote:david, "The Leatherstocking Tales" are all Natty Bumpo, aka Hawkeye, La Longue Carabine, the deerslayer, the Pathfinder, the leatherstocking, and probably others I've forgotten.
indeed, that's why the category was "character in james fenimore cooper", rather than "characters in james fenimore cooper". surely i wasn't the only one who caught that?
UniquePerspective wrote:I don't know if Francis is wowing me as a TOC contender with his game play, he at best seems to be just above average, but he very well might get there if he wins one more game.
i disagree; francis has been really impressive. he's obviously got terrific buzzer speed and a broad knowledge base. i am about 10% annoyed at his consistent hitch in calling for the next clue—and propensity to switch categories without any kind of strategic (DD-hunting) aim—but i'm definitely impressed with his ability to play the game. he's very good and a well-deserved big winner. $38k in one episode is an enormous payday. i'll definitely be cheering for him tomorrow (i.e. today, since i'm a day behind).

dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

Vigs wrote:I'm so glad I found this board! Can someone explain why, in tonight's show, Russia was considered the northernmost country in Asia, while over the past few weeks, it has twice been counted as being part of Europe? Is one a continental definition and the other more geo-political or something? I'm so confused.
I reacted to this clue exactly the same way, Vigs. I said Russia, but then immediately started doubting myself.

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

dmleach wrote:
Vigs wrote:I'm so glad I found this board! Can someone explain why, in tonight's show, Russia was considered the northernmost country in Asia, while over the past few weeks, it has twice been counted as being part of Europe? Is one a continental definition and the other more geo-political or something? I'm so confused.
I reacted to this clue exactly the same way, Vigs. I said Russia, but then immediately started doubting myself.
I suppose it's because the Ural Mountains are generally considered to be the dividing line between Europe and Asia, so Russia is on both continents.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

nagnasnalf

Post by nagnasnalf »

Next night spoiler:
Spoiler
Winning big on this night made losing the next night a little easier to handle. :mrgreen:
Note: Edited by Andy to eliminate future spoiler.