TD 334 - Hodgepodge - FINAL RESULTS!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Q11

Post by dhkendall »

Caboom wrote:
Armandillo wrote:*I was VERY liberal with both what constitutes Asia & what constitutes a country. I didn't want to argue about whether a place is a nation or not, so I gave the benefit of the doubt.
Really? Is there any doubt on any of the accepted answers, at least regarding to what constitutes Asia?

And regarding to what constitutes a country, they're all sporcle-recognized, so no doubt there either! :lol:

Armandillo wrote:Russia — Singleton!
Caboom
Ahh, no one ever chooses Russia. That was as sure a singleton as Mr. Linnonmaa and Seppälä. :D
Armenia and Russia are transcontinental (well maybe not Armenia but cases have been made for its European status), and Eaat Timor could be in Oceania depending on where the line is drawn in the Indonesian archipelago.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: TD 334 - Hodgepodge - FINAL RESULTS!

Post by StevenH »

I don't know how accurate this is over 15 years later of if it was even accurate at the time, but this was a FJ clue in September of 2001:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=441

Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

dhkendall wrote:
Caboom wrote:
Armandillo wrote:*I was VERY liberal with both what constitutes Asia & what constitutes a country. I didn't want to argue about whether a place is a nation or not, so I gave the benefit of the doubt.
Really? Is there any doubt on any of the accepted answers, at least regarding to what constitutes Asia?

And regarding to what constitutes a country, they're all sporcle-recognized, so no doubt there either! :lol:

Armandillo wrote:Russia — Singleton!
Caboom
Ahh, no one ever chooses Russia. That was as sure a singleton as Mr. Linnonmaa and Seppälä. :D
Armenia and Russia are transcontinental (well maybe not Armenia but cases have been made for its European status), and Eaat Timor could be in Oceania depending on where the line is drawn in the Indonesian archipelago.
If 97 % of Turkey belongs to Asia, then how on earth could Armenia, on the Eastern side of Turkey, be in Europe? Or are you drawing the line from the Black sea to the Caspian sea, making Georgia and Azerbaijan part of Europe?

Geographically I don't think there's much doubt. Sure, Russia is transcontinental, but it would be weird to say it's not an Asian country as well. East Timor I've always seen listed as part of Asia, but perhaps there's some ambivalence there. Culturally, on the other hand, there may be cases to be made for some of the countries on the list to be part of Europe. Also, Armenia does belong to the Council of Europe, and Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Israel and Kazakhstan all play under the UEFA instead of the AFC. And let's not forget, they also take part in the Eurovision song contest, but then so does Australia. :lol:

Thank you for a fun quiz Armadillo! I wish I'd realized a little earlier that you didn't specify whole numbers in the last question, blew a 6th place finish there. :oops:

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Thanks for a fun quiz, Armandillo! :)

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Caboom wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Armenia and Russia are transcontinental (well maybe not Armenia but cases have been made for its European status)
If 97 % of Turkey belongs to Asia, then how on earth could Armenia, on the Eastern side of Turkey, be in Europe? Or are you drawing the line from the Black sea to the Caspian sea, making Georgia and Azerbaijan part of Europe?
Look at Continental Geography for $1600 http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... l+caucasus

The clue states that the Caucasus and the Urals are the mountain ranges dividing Europe and Asia.

It could be argued that Armenia is transcontinental because it lies in the Caucasus range. I think you and dhkendall are both technically right. The Wikipedia page for Armenia states that it is in Eurasia which is undoubtedly correct.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Thanks for this fun TD! I feel amazed and amused that I got first place on the first question and never fell out.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

BobF

Post by BobF »

Thanks for the fun game and congrats to floridagator. His prize is that his candidate wins the election.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

StevenH wrote:I don't know how accurate this is over 15 years later of if it was even accurate at the time, but this was a FJ clue in September of 2001:

I doubt if it was accurate even then. France and Spain should have been included as possible answers too (because of Spanish enclaves in North Africa, and various French overseas departments). But anyhoo...

Congratulations to all, and thanks for a fun TD! :D

BobF

Post by BobF »

Magna wrote:
StevenH wrote:I don't know how accurate this is over 15 years later of if it was even accurate at the time, but this was a FJ clue in September of 2001:

I doubt if it was accurate even then. France and Spain should have been included as possible answers too (because of Spanish enclaves in North Africa, and various French overseas departments). But anyhoo...

Congratulations to all, and thanks for a fun TD! :D
I think it's accurate because of the words "extending across". That, to me anyway, indicates a contiguous piece of land.

The U.S. has territories that would be considered part of Oceania and not North 'Merica.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

BobF wrote:I think it's accurate because of the words "extending across". That, to me anyway, indicates a contiguous piece of land.

The U.S. has territories that would be considered part of Oceania and not North 'Merica.
The "cotiguous piece of land" definition doesn't work for Turkey, though.

France and Spain are different from the US because the land that makes them transcontinental isn't a territory; it's an integral part of each country. French Guiana and Reunion, for example, are part of the EU and the Eurozone. In the case of the US, Hawaii is the only analogous place, and its placement is debatable.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:
BobF wrote:I think it's accurate because of the words "extending across". That, to me anyway, indicates a contiguous piece of land.

France and Spain are different from the US because the land that makes them transcontinental isn't a territory; it's an integral part of each country. French Guiana and Reunion, for example, are part of the EU and the Eurozone. In the case of the US, Hawaii is the only analogous place, and its placement is debatable.
Doesn't work for Egypt either, there's a bloody canal in the way.

I think the Bosporus and the Suez Canal are narrow enough to accept the "contiguous piece of land" argument. I think if any of the other examples given in this thread were given on the show they'd at lithe least have the judges thoroughly vet these answers, and may accept them despite not being on the card.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote:
Magna wrote:

Doesn't work for Egypt either, there's a bloody canal in the way.

I think the Bosporus and the Suez Canal are narrow enough to accept the "contiguous piece of land" argument. I think if any of the other examples given in this thread were given on the show they'd at lithe least have the judges thoroughly vet these answers, and may accept them despite not being on the card.
Well, I meant there are no other countries sandwiched between the two pieces of Turkey or Egypt. If you cross the strait from one side of Turkey to the other, you are still nominally in Turkey. Same for the canal in Egypt.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Caboom wrote:If 97 % of Turkey belongs to Asia, then how on earth could Armenia, on the Eastern side of Turkey, be in Europe? Or are you drawing the line from the Black sea to the Caspian sea, making Georgia and Azerbaijan part of Europe?
It's debated where in the Caucasus area Europe ends and Asia begins. Under most definitions, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia are completely in Asia. But in some, they are partly in Europe. Also fwiw, a small amount of Kazakhstan is also in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundarie ... e_and_Asia
BobF wrote:Well, I meant there are no other countries sandwiched between the two pieces of Turkey or Egypt. If you cross the strait from one side of Turkey to the other, you are still nominally in Turkey. Same for the canal in Egypt.
In the same way, Ceuta is right across the Strait of Gibraltar from European Spain.

In other words, it's complicated! :D

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:
Caboom wrote:If 97 % of Turkey belongs to Asia, then how on earth could Armenia, on the Eastern side of Turkey, be in Europe? Or are you drawing the line from the Black sea to the Caspian sea, making Georgia and Azerbaijan part of Europe?
It's debated where in the Caucasus area Europe ends and Asia begins. Under most definitions, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia are completely in Asia. But in some, they are partly in Europe. Also fwiw, a small amount of Kazakhstan is also in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundarie ... e_and_Asia
BobF wrote:Well, I meant there are no other countries sandwiched between the two pieces of Turkey or Egypt. If you cross the strait from one side of Turkey to the other, you are still nominally in Turkey. Same for the canal in Egypt.
In the same way, Ceuta is right across the Strait of Gibraltar from European Spain.

In other words, it's complicated! :D
Looks like it's more across the Strait from the UK

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BobF wrote:sandwiched between the two pieces of Turkey
I'm hungry all of a sudden.