Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

MattKnowles wrote:I personally don't like the Forrest bounce because it finds the daily doubles faster and that reduces the amount of money that can be won. If the daily doubles are found at the end then the total score can be maximized and somebody can take home more money. If the stronger player wins regardless of which order the clues are chosen then finding the daily doubles late will give a bigger potential payday to the winner. I would advocate against it.
It's not about winning money, it's about winning games. You play the game that gives you the best chance of winning regardless of dollars won. One who searches for DD's is more likely to find them compared to one who does not. If one does not find a DD the lesser chance they have to win. And when a lesser player competes against a better player, the lesser player needs to find a take full advantage of DD's in order to win. It's not always about taking advantage of DD's, it's about keeping them out of your opponent's hands.

If I'm playing against a chemist and there's a chemistry category, I'm immediately going to that category to limit any damage my opponent can do. Conversely, if I'm a chemist I'm saving it for later in the round in hopes that I can find a late DD there. However, if another contestant takes an interest in the category then I'm forced to hunt there earlier than I'd like. Or if the DD is found elsewhere then I'll go ahead and clear the category. All this is basic logical strategy, but I'll be damned if many understand it, and even fewer still will apply it during the game.

So there is no question that finding DD's gives a better chance of winning, therefore searching for them is paramount. I wouldn't suggest advocating against a known winning strategy.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

IronNeck wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
I thought Ursula LeGuin and Eudora Welty were some tough clues in American Lit.
LeGuin is tough by College Jeopardy standards, although the show asks about her a lot. Welty, based on a photograph, birth year, and birth city, is very tough, period. Although both "Flannery O'Connor" and "Harper Lee" were bad, costly negs.
I think you have that backwards. My memory and the archive tell me they've never asked about LeGuin before. Welty has been the subject of a couple of dozen clues. This one included the title of her autobiography, "One Writer's Beginnings."
Kevin S. wrote:[
I came up with Ursula K. LeGuin immediately, but then had to wonder when AT revealed the answer if my pronunciation might have gotten my response rejected. I've always pronounced her name "Le- Ginn", as in "Guiness," rather than Le- Gwin, as AT did.

I think I heard someone in the SF field pronounce it Le- Ginn in a long-ago interview. Asimov, maybe, as he talked about her a lot, saying she was a dear friend and respected colleague, but he hated that she smoked a pipe.

Any thoughts from anyone on pronunciation?
No way you'd be negged for the mispronunciation, because there are common words with hard G-silent u - guilt and beguile, for example.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

davey wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
LeGuin is tough by College Jeopardy standards, although the show asks about her a lot. Welty, based on a photograph, birth year, and birth city, is very tough, period. Although both "Flannery O'Connor" and "Harper Lee" were bad, costly negs.
I think you have that backwards. My memory and the archive tell me they've never asked about LeGuin before. Welty has been the subject of a couple of dozen clues. This one included the title of her autobiography, "One Writer's Beginnings."
Le Guin has been asked about a handful of times, most recently in 2008. Welty is Pavlovian for "female author from Mississippi," although I was unable to pull her name.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

davey wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
I think you have that backwards. My memory and the archive tell me they've never asked about LeGuin before.
It wasn't as often as I thought, but Le Guin has appeared 6 times in the archive since 2000, as Matty noted.

Also, Jeopardy has asked about the The Left Hand of Darkness, which appeared in Friday's clue, if not its author, as recently as May of 2016.
davey wrote: Welty has been the subject of a couple of dozen clues. This one included the title of her autobiography, "One Writer's Beginnings."
Interestingly, the title of her autobiography is the very first time it has ever appeared in a clue for Eudora Welty. So that's not helping anyone not knowing her by the photo or birth year and birthplace.

In fact, virtually all of the 22 or 23 clues (depending on whether you count one that is really about Jefferson) about Welty include her most famous stories, like Delta Wedding and The Optimist's Daughter. I might have gotten it through one of those were it included, but it wasn't.

Matty is right about the Pavlov, but it's a very tough clue, regardless. Unfortunately, it's a bit too late to ask for MarkBarrett to include it in the weekly poll.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
davey wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Le Guin has been asked about a handful of times, most recently in 2008. Welty is Pavlovian for "female author from Mississippi," although I was unable to pull her name.
Thanks for the correction. I should have been more careful.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Welty right away from the "female writer from Mississippi" hint. O'Connor is from Georgia, not sure how famously she is associated with that state. But Lee seemed a bad guess, but that may be my local bias showing.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

"Le Guin" is (for whatever reason) written as two words with a space, so a search for it as one word might have been the cause of the false negative.

For future reference -

Welty = Mississippi

Lee = Alabama

O'Connor = Georgia

O'Connor would probably not be considered Pavlovian because Georgia was also the home of Carson McCullers and Margaret Mitchell. Perhaps precisely because she is Pavolovian, Welty seems to be a Jeopardy! favorite in a way that none of the Georgians are.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:"Le Guin" is (for whatever reason) written as two words with a space, so a search for it as one word might have been the cause of the false negative.
Yes, another careless error in my post, not leaving the space in the name. I did search for just guin, then eyeballed the large results. Neglected to do ctrl-f.
Matty did a better search, as I saw in his link-
search=ursula+guin&submit=Search
(You have to put spaces between those three elements for it to work...ursula + guin)
This isolates the correct hits.
I didn't actually realize that we could use this kind of Boolean search in the archive. So I have Matty to thank for that too.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

silverscreentest wrote:
Kevin S. wrote: I came up with Ursula K. LeGuin immediately, but then had to wonder when AT revealed the answer if my pronunciation might have gotten my response rejected. I've always pronounced her name "Le- Ginn", as in "Guiness," rather than Le- Gwin, as AT did.

I think I heard someone in the SF field pronounce it Le- Ginn in a long-ago interview. Asimov, maybe, as he talked about her a lot, saying she was a dear friend and respected colleague, but he hated that she smoked a pipe.

Any thoughts from anyone on pronunciation?
How about from Urusula K. LeGuin?
Outstanding! Thanks for the research. I'll remember that the next time I say her name. Which, judging from past experience, may be in another 10-12 years or so. It depends on which happens first, it comes up on Jeopardy! again or I recommend "The Word for World is Forest" to someone (which does happen occasionally).
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Lily did a Reddit AMA. Funny stories for interview segment that didn't make it to the air.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I also pre-called Leibniz, and then instantly switched to Kepler.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.