Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm

I guessed Tycho Brahe instead of Kepler.

The clue said "Astronomer who began his epitaph" and I thought it was one astronomer writing an epitaph for another astronomer so I thought they were looking for an astronomer's astronomer mentor. Tycho Brahe was the mentor (and possible murder victim) of Kepler. Brahe was mostly 16th century and Danish so that didn't work.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:Hail to Lilly, the spiciest memelord! Kudos to all 3 finalists and to all 15 contestants for making this an exciting, well fought tournament. Wow.
I really enjoyed watching tonight's game. The three finalists are frighteningly smart.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Well, Kepler was a religious 17th century German astronomer who made a lot of measurements. Good games

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Good riddance to Lilly and her ADHD habit of jumping from category to category and starting them mid-box (instead of top to bottom). I guess we'll have to put up with it in the TOC, but maybe there'll be someone who knows what a selfie is.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:56 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:It seems like we've had far to many pronunciation discussions, but I'm sure Gary said "intro-vitro-fertilization" for IVF. I asked the missus what she heard and she agreed (and doesn't have my bias that it should be "in-vitro...".
I don't know how you're hearing that. I hear him pause very slightly between "in" and "vitro" but I detect no sound of any sort between the two.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Kenny wrote:Good riddance to Lilly and her ADHD habit of jumping from category to category and starting them mid-box (instead of top to bottom). I guess we'll have to put up with it in the TOC, but maybe there'll be someone who knows what a selfie is.
Dude. There are too many J! contestants who do that to rattle off. Blaming a champ for doing it and accusing her of having a disease is just plain unfair.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Kenny wrote:Good riddance to Lilly and her ADHD habit of jumping from category to category and starting them mid-box (instead of top to bottom). I guess we'll have to put up with it in the TOC, but maybe there'll be someone who knows what a selfie is.
Come on guy. If you don't like a contestant for your own personal reasons, keep it to yourself. That's not what this board is for.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 pm

There absolutely will be someone in the ToC who knows what a selfie is; her name will be Lilly.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Well played by all! Grats Lilly. Such a bunch of smarties! The wife was all about it, you-all were grrrr-eat! Expected triple get on this fairly easy FJ for a TOC, 'German astronomer' - gimme, eh?

44R LT: Archery (gold circle) - Brexit - 'bob' = shilling - (quid = pound, eh? & Bob's ur uncle!) - Trivia Goddess of the 3 crossroads. Like the contestants, I was 0/5 on stupid tv clues and proud of it!

LMAO KJ would be so proud! Immortalized in J-archive- again!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:11 pm

This is a very common Jeopardy strategy around since the 80s called the Forrest Bounce. Any sufficiently fast, knowledgeable Jeopardy player who does not utilize it is short-changing themselves and lowering their chances of victory.

davey mcdaveface

Post by davey mcdaveface » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Did anyone else see a jump in the video after Lilly's shout-outs? Did she say something naughty?

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:26 pm

IronNeck wrote:
This is a very common Jeopardy strategy around since the 80s called the Forrest Bounce. Any sufficiently fast, knowledgeable Jeopardy player who does not utilize it is short-changing themselves and lowering their chances of victory.
And it has been shown to be ineffective. That whole notion of confusing the other contestants by jumping back and forth between categories has been proven to be bogus.

It's like flipping a coin. Just because it comes up tails nine times in a row doesn't mean it's more likely to be heads on the 10th flip.
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Come on guy. If you don't like a contestant for your own personal reasons, keep it to yourself. That's not what this board is for.
What is this board for? To praise contestants whose strategy is annoying as hell?

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Kenny wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
And it has been shown to be ineffective. That whole notion of confusing the other contestants by jumping back and forth between categories has been proven to be bogus.
Say that to Chuck Forrest, Arthur Chu, and the number of other highly successful Jeopardy champs who have used this strategy.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:It seems like we've had far to many pronunciation discussions, but I'm sure Gary said "intro-vitro-fertilization" for IVF. I asked the missus what she heard and she agreed (and doesn't have my bias that it should be "in-vitro...".
I don't know how you're hearing that. I hear him pause very slightly between "in" and "vitro" but I detect no sound of any sort between the two.
OK, upon further review: The penguin is right. (How does he do it without any visible ears?) I kind of hear a little plosive like a terminal "d", but that's all. (what is end vitro..) I should go delete the original stupid post. Sorry for the waste of oxygen.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Kenny wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
What is this board for? To praise contestants whose strategy is annoying as hell?
"Annoying as hell" in your opinion.

What is the purpose of a strategy? To please you, Kenny? Or to win the game? Given the purpose of a Jeopardy! strategy is actually the latter, I'd say Lilly played very effectively - just as many other J! champions who used the Forrest bounce, together with DD hunting, did.

As for what this board is for, one thing it isn't for is personal attacks and "diagnosing" contestants with psychiatric disorders.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 pm

CailinGaoilge wrote:As for what this board is for, one thing it isn't for is personal attacks and "diagnosing" contestants with psychiatric disorders.
Amen!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:02 am

I haven't had the time to post as much as I would have liked thanks to things like school and stuff, but I just wanted to give a harsh rebuttal to this horrible statement that you just made. Yes, I understand you don't like her strategy. Yes, I understand that it is annoying. And it is (in my opinion). However, it has been known to be extremely effective (just talk to Chuck Forrest, Arthur Chu, even Roger Craig to an extent) and has contributed to at least one ToC result. Second, how dare you accuse someone of having ADHD? It would have been fine to say ADHD-like even. But to suggest that Lilly has ADHD just by watching her on television is disgusting. You sir should not be saying such things on this board and I can't believe I had to read that nonsense. You probably wouldn't have liked me very much then. Well too bad; those guys want to win, not worry about how good they look on television. On a side note, not that Lilly has any problems necessarily (and if she does, I wouldn't know that ahead of time), but I've worked with people with special needs (heck, I have autism myself) and I have to say that they are some of the sweetest people I have ever met. To suggest that that sort of thing is bad is horrendous to me.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:03 am

Well...*Scoffs* good luck with that...Lilly's gonna have to tackle some of the hardest ToC players if she's gonna win the prize. Jason Sterlacci, Seth Wilson, Buzzy Cohen, Andrew Pau, Hunter Appler, Pranjal Vachaspati, Lisa Schlitt, and Tim Kutz are gonna be waiting for her because these people dominated games at a much higher pace.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 am

Kenny wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
By all means, please inform us who has "shown" or "proven" it to be "bogus"?!

In addition to the already mentioned Chuck Forrest and Arthur Chu, a certain recent super-champion by the name of Matt Jackson frequently used a Forrest Bounce. So did the last ToC winner, Alex Jacob. I haven't looked up their games to be certain, but I believe Roger Craig, Ken Jennings, and Brad Rutter all used it, too.

Do you simply not like most of the great Jeopardy super-champions, then? And think they're "annoying as hell", too?

Edit- Also, pretty sure that someone who is doing even reasonably well at MIT does not suffer from ADHD. Being able to work on a math, physics, or even chemistry problem set with complete focus for 6+ hours straight is not a skill most people have, and is the opposite of ADHD.
Last edited by IronNeck on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.